Start by marking “RASL, Vol. 4: The Lost Journals of Nikola Tesla (RASL, #4)” as Want to Read:
RASL, Vol. 4: The Lost Journals of Nikola Tesla (RASL, #4)

RASL, Vol. 4: The Lost Journals of Nikola Tesla (RASL #4)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  371 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Collects issues 12 to 15 of RASL!
Published August 14th 2012 by Cartoon Books (first published August 7th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about RASL, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about RASL, Vol. 4

Matt
Aug 09, 2012 Matt rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: rasl
Jeff Smith can do no wrong. This is simply amazing.
[Name Redacted]
Jeff Smith's love-letter to Nikolai Tesla and the multi-verse ends in true noir fashion. It's dark, it's violent, it's filled with betrayals and revelations and still-unanswered questions -- but there's a distant glimmer of hope at the end.

I cannot wait to see what Smith does next!
Isaac
Seriously, what's with the hobo and the little girl? I like most of it, but the final conflict with Sal ended with a very disappointing deus ex machina (maybe even a literal one). Was I intrigued with what happened to Sal, or just annoyed?
Gunderhaegg
Finally, the fourth volume of RASL arrived. The artwork is still vivid, the story is a fantastic mixture of history, science, love and drama. The search for Nikola Teslas lost journals continues!
Matt
Ugh. What a disappointing ending.

There were all these interesting threads and I was hoping that it would end up tying everything together, but it just had a big fight and then a plot twist that feels tacked on and then done.

And the false machismo of the drinking and motorcycling just feels so trite.

I felt the same way about Bone in that the ending didn't live up to the buildup.
Federica
RASL è un piccolo miracolo nel panorama delle graphic novel, e della narrativa in generale. Ma dato che quelle pagine profumano di scienza dalla prima all'ultima, forse non è corretto parlare di miracoli, quindi dirigerò il mio entusiasmo verso colui che ne è l'autore: Jeff Smith, sei un genio. Tesla era un genio, Einstein era un genio, tutti gli scienziati devono essere un po' pazzi, e così anche i grandi scrittori. La storia di Robert Joseph Johnson non è che il risultato di genio e follia ins ...more
William Holm
RASL is now finished and we can expect a one volume edition next year I guess. The final volume ties the story together in a nice way by picking up elements from the first chapter. This feels like a solid piece of work; a novel in the proper sense f the word. It is satisfying to read a comic that hols together both as a story and graphically over more than 400 pages and then actually ends.

It was interesting to note that there is a funding campaign going on to create a new museum to honor Nikola

Rodolfo Schmauk
La historia no es mala, pero me hubiese gustado más desarrollo, más profundidad y coherencia en los personajes. Lo que más me molestó, en todo caso, es que había demasiada exposición en vez de mostrar la historia.
George Ilsley
The title of this volume, and my fascination with Tesla, was enough for me to pick this up. And then of course I realized it was friggin' volume #4 and I had to get the others and start there.

An interesting series. Those who already know about Tesla will find this an interesting survey of his work (and an imaginative extension of what is known). Those who don't know about Tesla should be astonished to realize that some of the most incredible things (like the disappearing battleship) are based on
Sonic
This was a fantastic and for him, surprisingly dark story. And as this was something of a homage to the brilliant and underrated Nikola Tesla, the science fictional aspects did not seem that outlandish to me, but rather, ... scary!
Joshua
Great end to a great series. Loved the merge of physics, native american myth, and wonderful writing. Made for a very unique and interesting story.
Dan
In a word: wow. In two words: wow, dizzying. If you made it this far in the series then you know what it's about, and I have something to confess: I love alternate universe/dimension-hopping/multiverse tales... and I found this one particularly satisfying. Maybe it's because I've been a fan of Jeff Smith for a very long time, or maybe it's because this story has multiple levels of appeal for me. It did tie up just a little too neatly, and I accidentally figured out some of the plot points that w ...more
Rosa
I think that I made a mistake not reading this right when I read the first three volumes, it seems to have killed my enthusiasm for the series and I ended up finding the ending kind of meh.
Craig
This was an really exciting and interesting conclusion to the story/series.
I liked the couple of twists involved.
well worth reading!
Simon
And a terrific ending.
Blake
The scifi, already a major part of the series, kicks up into crazy high gear in this final installment. It's the longest trade in the series but it's so thrilling that it goes too quickly. The story is over, but the mysteries haven't all been resolved. I like that.

After RASL and Bone, I will read anything Jeff Smith puts out. I have complete faith.
Jake
This definitely wasn't what I was expecting. it didn't quite have the pay-off I was hoping for. It was still damn good. I just thought there'd be more wrap-up in a way. But I might've mistook what the story what was setting up for bells and whistles, or at least just the helpful stuff. I don't know. Still, this was such a delightfully cool read.
D.J.
A great ending to a great series! Jeff Smith really surprised me with this hard sci fi follow-up to the fun Bone series. The man is a singular talent, and anything he creates is immediately on my must-read list!
Steve Blair
At some point this series really captured me, but it didn't sustain my interest through the fourth volume. The resolution was a little too pat and abrupt. Glad I stayed with it until the conclusion, though.
Lucas

I really like how Smith incorporates Tesla, the Philadelphia Experiment and other weird aspects of history into this full-tilt adventure.
Tara Schaafsma
Despite a few questions that I still have, and a little slower flow to this 4th volume, I still love the story.
Daniel Cooksey
Like the ending, but I lost the plot threads a bit. Need to go back and reread the whole thing.
Sara
Grabbed this On a whim and loved it! Super weird! Going to go back and read the first 3!
Blake Adamson
Things heat up in RASL & his enemy's final showdown. It's a can't-miss conclusion.
Lindsay
Great twist in the end. Did not expect that. Thanks again Jeff Smith.
Whitney Peck
I am in love with this series... kudos Jeff Smith, yet again
Jenny
A great ending to another epic work by Jeff Smith!
Brian
I love the Tesla background, and the alternate realities.
lance
grear series!
  • Hellboy, Vol. 11: The Bride of Hell and Others (Hellboy, #11)
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 3: Bound
  • Red Handed: The Fine Art of Strange Crimes
  • Dawn Land
  • Sweet Tooth, Vol. 5: Unnatural Habitats
  • Astro City, Vol. 8: Shining Stars
  • The Hive
  • End: Elisabeth (End, #1)
  • Batman: Vengeance of Bane
  • Zero, Vol. 1: An Emergency (Zero #1)
  • Northlanders, Vol. 7: The Icelandic Trilogy
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 9: Ring Out the Old (Ex Machina, #9)
  • Fatale, Vol. 2: The Devil's Business
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See other authors with similar names.

Born and raised in the American mid-west, Jeff Smith learned about cartooning from comic strips, comic books, and watching animation on TV. In 1991, he launched a company called Cartoon Books to publish his comic book BONE, a comedy/adventure about three lost cousins from B
More about Jeff Smith...

RASL (4 books)
  • RASL, Vol. 1: The Drift (RASL, #1)
  • RASL, Vol. 2: The Fire of St. George (RASL, #2)
  • RASL, Vol. 3: Romance at the Speed of Light (RASL, #3)
Bone, Vol. 1: Out from Boneville (Bone, #1) Bone Bone, Vol. 4: The Dragonslayer (Bone, #4) Bone, Vol. 2: The Great Cow Race (Bone, #2) Bone, Vol. 9: Crown of Horns (Bone #9)