Start by marking “RASL, Vol. 4: The Lost Journals of Nikola Tesla (RASL, #4)” as Want to Read:
RASL, Vol. 4: The Lost Journals of Nikola Tesla (RASL, #4)

RASL, Vol. 4: The Lost Journals of Nikola Tesla (RASL #4)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  413 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Collects issues 12 to 15 of RASL!
Published August 14th 2012 by Cartoon Books (first published August 7th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about RASL, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about RASL, Vol. 4

Matt
Aug 09, 2012 Matt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rasl
Jeff Smith can do no wrong. This is simply amazing.
[Name Redacted]
Jeff Smith's love-letter to Nikolai Tesla and the multi-verse ends in true noir fashion. It's dark, it's violent, it's filled with betrayals and revelations and still-unanswered questions -- but there's a distant glimmer of hope at the end.

I cannot wait to see what Smith does next!
Isaac Timm
Jul 10, 2013 Isaac Timm rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2013
Seriously, what's with the hobo and the little girl? I like most of it, but the final conflict with Sal ended with a very disappointing deus ex machina (maybe even a literal one). Was I intrigued with what happened to Sal, or just annoyed?
Gunderhaegg
Aug 08, 2012 Gunderhaegg rated it really liked it
Finally, the fourth volume of RASL arrived. The artwork is still vivid, the story is a fantastic mixture of history, science, love and drama. The search for Nikola Teslas lost journals continues!
Matt
Apr 25, 2015 Matt rated it did not like it
Ugh. What a disappointing ending.

There were all these interesting threads and I was hoping that it would end up tying everything together, but it just had a big fight and then a plot twist that feels tacked on and then done.

And the false machismo of the drinking and motorcycling just feels so trite.

I felt the same way about Bone in that the ending didn't live up to the buildup.
Federica
RASL è un piccolo miracolo nel panorama delle graphic novel, e della narrativa in generale. Ma dato che quelle pagine profumano di scienza dalla prima all'ultima, forse non è corretto parlare di miracoli, quindi dirigerò il mio entusiasmo verso colui che ne è l'autore: Jeff Smith, sei un genio. Tesla era un genio, Einstein era un genio, tutti gli scienziati devono essere un po' pazzi, e così anche i grandi scrittori. La storia di Robert Joseph Johnson non è che il risultato di genio e follia ins ...more
William Holm
RASL is now finished and we can expect a one volume edition next year I guess. The final volume ties the story together in a nice way by picking up elements from the first chapter. This feels like a solid piece of work; a novel in the proper sense f the word. It is satisfying to read a comic that hols together both as a story and graphically over more than 400 pages and then actually ends.

It was interesting to note that there is a funding campaign going on to create a new museum to honor Nikola

Rodolfo Schmauk
Feb 08, 2014 Rodolfo Schmauk rated it liked it
La historia no es mala, pero me hubiese gustado más desarrollo, más profundidad y coherencia en los personajes. Lo que más me molestó, en todo caso, es que había demasiada exposición en vez de mostrar la historia.
George Ilsley
Dec 16, 2012 George Ilsley rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, graphic
The title of this volume, and my fascination with Tesla, was enough for me to pick this up. And then of course I realized it was friggin' volume #4 and I had to get the others and start there.

An interesting series. Those who already know about Tesla will find this an interesting survey of his work (and an imaginative extension of what is known). Those who don't know about Tesla should be astonished to realize that some of the most incredible things (like the disappearing battleship) are based on
Sonic
Feb 08, 2014 Sonic rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic and for him, surprisingly dark story. And as this was something of a homage to the brilliant and underrated Nikola Tesla, the science fictional aspects did not seem that outlandish to me, but rather, ... scary!
Joshua
Sep 16, 2014 Joshua rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Great end to a great series. Loved the merge of physics, native american myth, and wonderful writing. Made for a very unique and interesting story.
Dan
Oct 05, 2012 Dan rated it really liked it
In a word: wow. In two words: wow, dizzying. If you made it this far in the series then you know what it's about, and I have something to confess: I love alternate universe/dimension-hopping/multiverse tales... and I found this one particularly satisfying. Maybe it's because I've been a fan of Jeff Smith for a very long time, or maybe it's because this story has multiple levels of appeal for me. It did tie up just a little too neatly, and I accidentally figured out some of the plot points that w ...more
Rosa
May 28, 2014 Rosa rated it it was ok
I think that I made a mistake not reading this right when I read the first three volumes, it seems to have killed my enthusiasm for the series and I ended up finding the ending kind of meh.
Craig
Jun 15, 2014 Craig rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphical-novel
This was an really exciting and interesting conclusion to the story/series.
I liked the couple of twists involved.
well worth reading!
Jamie Maltman
Jul 28, 2015 Jamie Maltman rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, graphic-novel
I generally enjoyed it, but it left some rather gaping open questions.
Simon
Cool story, bro.
Blake
Sep 24, 2013 Blake rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, scifi, reviewed, 2013, ebook
The scifi, already a major part of the series, kicks up into crazy high gear in this final installment. It's the longest trade in the series but it's so thrilling that it goes too quickly. The story is over, but the mysteries haven't all been resolved. I like that.

After RASL and Bone, I will read anything Jeff Smith puts out. I have complete faith.
Jake
Nov 18, 2013 Jake rated it really liked it
This definitely wasn't what I was expecting. it didn't quite have the pay-off I was hoping for. It was still damn good. I just thought there'd be more wrap-up in a way. But I might've mistook what the story what was setting up for bells and whistles, or at least just the helpful stuff. I don't know. Still, this was such a delightfully cool read.
D.J.
Dec 30, 2013 D.J. rated it really liked it
A great ending to a great series! Jeff Smith really surprised me with this hard sci fi follow-up to the fun Bone series. The man is a singular talent, and anything he creates is immediately on my must-read list!
Steve Blair
Aug 19, 2012 Steve Blair rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
At some point this series really captured me, but it didn't sustain my interest through the fourth volume. The resolution was a little too pat and abrupt. Glad I stayed with it until the conclusion, though.
Lucas
Nov 17, 2012 Lucas rated it really liked it

I really like how Smith incorporates Tesla, the Philadelphia Experiment and other weird aspects of history into this full-tilt adventure.
Tara Schaafsma
Mar 17, 2013 Tara Schaafsma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Despite a few questions that I still have, and a little slower flow to this 4th volume, I still love the story.
Daniel Cooksey
Sep 30, 2012 Daniel Cooksey rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-own, comic
Like the ending, but I lost the plot threads a bit. Need to go back and reread the whole thing.
Sara
Aug 15, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it
Grabbed this On a whim and loved it! Super weird! Going to go back and read the first 3!
Blake Adamson
Aug 27, 2013 Blake Adamson rated it it was amazing
Things heat up in RASL & his enemy's final showdown. It's a can't-miss conclusion.
Lindsay
Sep 19, 2012 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, cartoon-books
Great twist in the end. Did not expect that. Thanks again Jeff Smith.
Whitney Maas
I am in love with this series... kudos Jeff Smith, yet again
Jenny
Oct 09, 2012 Jenny rated it it was amazing
A great ending to another epic work by Jeff Smith!
  • B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, Vol. 2: Gods and Monsters (B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, #2)
  • Red Handed: The Fine Art of Strange Crimes
  • Letter 44, Volume 2: Redshift
  • Underground
  • Finder, Vol. 09: Voice
  • Les ignorants. Récit d'une initiation croisée
  • King City
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 24: Return of the Black Soul (Usagi Yojimbo, #24)
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 3: Bound
  • Northlanders, Vol. 7: The Icelandic Trilogy
  • The Lives of Sacco and Vanzetti
  • Essex County Vol. 2: Ghost Stories (Essex County, #2)
  • Astro Boy, Vol. 4 (Astro Boy, #4)
  • Nemo: River of Ghosts
  • Dawn Land
  • The Hive
  • Bad Houses
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See other authors with similar names.

Born and raised in the American mid-west, Jeff Smith learned about cartooning from comic strips, comic books, and watching animation on TV. In 1991, he launched a company called Cartoon Books to publish his comic book BONE, a comedy/adventure about three lost cousins from B
More about Jeff Smith...

RASL (4 books)
  • RASL, Vol. 1: The Drift (RASL, #1)
  • RASL, Vol. 2: The Fire of St. George (RASL, #2)
  • RASL, Vol. 3: Romance at the Speed of Light (RASL, #3)