Start by marking “Requiem for a Princess” as Want to Read:
Requiem for a Princess

Requiem for a Princess

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  102 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
While staying in Cornwall, Willow Forrester, dismayed to have discovered that she is adopted, finds herself enthralled by, then in thrall to, the portrait of Isabel de Calverados, a sixteenth century Spanish girl who was also an adopted daughter.
Published 1967 by Atheneum

To ask other readers questions about Requiem for a Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Requiem for a Princess

Anne
Mar 12, 2009 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book captured my imagination as a child...to the extent that I and vivedly remember it 30 years later. That's saying something. It's a fascinating approach to the typical 'discovery of self' tale.
Kate
Sep 11, 2012 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My very favorite book as a child was A Candle In Her Room by the same author - a really creepy story about a doll that haunts three generations of women. Having recently rediscovered that book in my university's children's collection, I decided to check out this book as well as the one I'd loved years ago.

Requiem for a Princess doesn't have the same creep factor, or the same generational aspect that A Candle In Her Room does, but it's still a worthwhile read. Arthur is great at landscaping her s
Melody
May 16, 2011 Melody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-reading an old favorite. This has almost all of the elements of a perfect Ruth M. Arthur book; a mystery, a troubled adolescent protagonist in search of her own authentic life, a scary old witch, a hidden treasure (not to mention a hidden garden), a love interest, and secrets piled upon secrets. The plot is deeply satisfying and the resolution on all fronts delicious.

It's interesting how many plot elements Arthur recycled time after time- and how fresh they seemed to be in her hands.
CLM
Feb 07, 2010 CLM rated it it was amazing
Willow Penelope Forrester was fifteen years old before she discovered that she had been adopted. Why had no one told her? And why did she have to find out now, by accident, just when she was having such a struggle with her parents over the musical career she wanted. She simply couldn't bring herself to discuss with the matter with anyone, least of all her parents. And so she literally worried herself sick, until her unsuspecting mother took her away to recover, to Penliss, a lovely house on the ...more
Marillabw
Jan 06, 2016 Marillabw rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I easily identified with the curious spirit of Willow in Requiem for a Princess. This intriguing novel immersed my hungry mind into a world of mystery, nostalgia, suspense and empathy. I loved it!
Kristin
Aug 10, 2014 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
My friend Catherine gave this to me to see if Lauren might like to read it. It was a favorite of hers when she was a kid. I enjoyed it and thought it read like a Nancy Drew mystery which I loved as a girl!! It might be too old fashioned for Lauren - but maybe.
Jan 24, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book growing up and have read it countless times. I still have it and gave it to my daughter to read. It's a brilliant book.
Mckinley
Language style is a little bit old-fashioned which adds to this quasi-gothic tale. Heroine enters another young women's live via dreams that become a little too real. Enjoyed.

Another similar story, but much similar and with a younger heroine, is Magic Elizabeth by Norma Kassirer.

See: A Traveler In Time by Uttley, Magic Elizabeth by Norma Kassirer, Requiem for a Princess by Ruth Arthur, The Juniper Game by Sherryl Jordan, Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce.
Jossalyn
Dec 31, 2012 Jossalyn rated it it was amazing
love this author. discovered her when I had the ambition to read all the titles in the children's section of the library and started at A. love the Margery Gill illustrations about as much as the books.
Kara
Dec 01, 2009 Kara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Orphans, sleep walkings, big old houses, premonitions, possibly haunted oil paintings = A+
Sparrow F. Alden
One of my very favorite books at age 12 or so. I wish I could find my copy for my daughter!
بثينة محمود
Dec 06, 2008 بثينة محمود rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Im still reading it,i ve to cause it's listed in my daughter's course this year :(
Molly
Nov 22, 2013 Molly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a fairly pleasant book with a good mystery to it.
Margarete
Jul 10, 2013 Margarete rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite book when I was in the 7th grade. :)
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Girl Inlove
Girl Inlove rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2016
Wendyb
Wendyb marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Joan Sangimino
Joan Sangimino rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2015
Wendy Darling
Wendy Darling marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Ayden
Ayden rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
Ruchie Lieberman
Ruchie Lieberman rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2015
Zoeeloise
Zoeeloise marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
N.d
N.d marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Christine Rauth
Christine Rauth marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Robin Murray
Robin Murray rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2015
Ellana
Ellana rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2015
Deirdre Flanagan
Deirdre Flanagan marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
christy sorensen
christy sorensen marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
slauderdale
slauderdale marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Working name of UK writer Ruth Mabel Arthur Huggins, long active as a children's author, her career beginning with Friendly Stories (collection, 1932). Most of her early work, like the Brownie sequence -- The Crooked Brownie (1936), The Crooked Brownie in Town (1942) and The Crooked Brownie at the Seaside (1942) is for younger children, but with Dragon Summer (1962) and A Candle in her Room (1966) ...more
More about Ruth M. Arthur...