Start by marking “Owning Our Future: The Emerging Ownership Revolution” as Want to Read:
Owning Our Future: The Emerging Ownership Revolution
Preview

Owning Our Future: The Emerging Ownership Revolution

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Building an Economy That Works for All

As long as businesses are set up to focus exclusively on maximizing financial income for the few, our economy will be locked into endless growth and widening inequality. But now people are experimenting with new forms of ownership, which Marjorie Kelly calls generative: aimed at creating the conditions for life for many generations to
Published June 4th 2012 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Owning Our Future, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Owning Our Future

Economics of Compassion Initiative
This book, published in 2012, fills in the outline of what it takes to confront the reality of our current economy which is based on taking resources from our world – "extractive" ownership. Kelly counters this economic reality with the idea of "generative" ownership – "self-organized around the needs of life," an economic structure that has a "living purpose."

She offers concrete examples of alternative ownership structures like the employee-owned and governed Island Cohousing created by South M
Will Szal
Although I started it all the way back in the spring, I just wrapped up Marjorie Kelly’s “Owning Our Future: The Emerging Ownership Revolution.” Marjorie is a fellow with the Tellus Institute in Boston, whom I’ve met at events hosted there.

The book draws heavily on a foundation of systems thinking, which I really appreciate.

In summary, the book explores the domain of ownership in it’s many facets, and asks how we might optimize ownership structures for a “generative economy.” To oversimplify, in
Sudheer Madhava
Marjorie Kelly first shows us how the current capitalistic business model is unfair and unsustainable and shows how modern business practices and laws favouring the "one percent" contributed to the current financial mess the world is in.

She then takes us on a ride into an unexplored (by mainstream media) but surprisingly large world of democratically run successful business entities like cooperatives, financial instituions (which actually serve local communities) and other such organizations whi
Patrick Tsai
I read a lot of books that make me angry, well this book made me hopeful. Of course there was the angry part about the extractive culture of corporate ownership, but it was balanced with stories of companies following, what Marjorie Kelly calls, the generative economic model of ownership. This involves enterprises with community focused missions and more democratic internal structures. There is a detachment intrinsic in Wall Street's world of casino finance. A generative economic model seeks to ...more
Seerat Toor
Owning our future is a very absorbing piece of work, a prototype book on the subject which has intrigued human civilizations across the globe since time beyond history and record. Marjorie Kelly the beautiful and insightful author has cleverly decoded the highly encrypted principles of the present-day economic models and has opened the public-eye to the juggernaut of their exploitative fundamentals. Kelly has wonderfully interweaved the latter most leveraged system design with the one just emerg ...more
Tom & Beverly
This is one of the most hopeful books I have read in years. We always like to read about ideas that agree with our world view and this is one. I have always felt the idea of BIG CONTINUOUS growth that the stock market prices depend on was unrealistic and she makes that point over and over again. She gives some great examples of successful companies and organizations that are not exploitative and successful.
Jess
Wow. Marjorie Kelly bowled me over. So much wisdom packed into such an enjoyable book.

Based on dozens of describes the reality of our current "extractive" economy and presents the opportunity to transition to a "generative" economy. Specifically, according to Kelly, "ownership is the gravitational field that holds our economy in its orbit, locking us all into behaviors that lead to financial excess and ecological overshoot." A new model of "generative ownership" on the other hand, can be the fou
Samuel Lubell
An economics/business book postulating a new form of corporation, a public benefit corporation, run for the benefit of everyone, not to maximize shareholder profits.
Kathy
This book was a fun read because it talked about a lot of people I'm friends with and organizations that I know. Interesting examples of ownership structures that are a lot more beneficial to society and the environment. I had never heard of John Lewis Partnership before, and it's a huge company in England that is employee owned, so that was interesting. Didn't find the book to be particularly well written or anything.
Tab
Kelly takes us on a journey to first discover what went wrong with our current "growth" economic model. But she doen't leave us there. This is a hopeful book that then presents several examples of businesses that take different approaches. All of them enhance and value their communities, workers, and members. This book is life-affirming and a must read for all citizens who long for real change.
Miriam Holsinger
A wowing book - must read for anyone who is an ardent capitalist or anti-capitalist. Kelly spells out complicated financial concepts in a humanizing way and shows the road to a brighter future without demonizing anyone but empowering us all.
Susan Hill
Susan Hill marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Adrian
Adrian marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Nayla Mehdi
Nayla Mehdi marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Michal Golis
Michal Golis marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
George Norris
George Norris is currently reading it
Feb 14, 2015
Malcolm Shearer
Malcolm Shearer marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Vinay Bachireddy
Vinay Bachireddy marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Chelsea Ursaner
Chelsea Ursaner marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Jabriel
Jabriel marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Gaylin
Gaylin is currently reading it
Jan 23, 2015
Eugene Dagon
Eugene Dagon marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Tony Schmitt
Tony Schmitt marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Divine Right of Capital: Dethroning the Corporate Aristocracy Islam: The Religious and Political Life of a World Community Is Maximizing Returns to Shareholders a Legitimate Mandate?