Start by marking “Feeding Ground” as Want to Read:
Feeding Ground

Feeding Ground

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  27 reviews
London streets that were once filled with pedestrians, tourists and shoppers are now clogged with thick webs and dead bodies. Spidery creatures straight out of a nightmare have infested the city, skittering after their human prey, spinning sticky traps to catch their food…
A few desperate survivors have banded together, realizing their only hope for survival is to flee the
Published June 5th 2012 by Dorchester Publishing Trade (first published September 29th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Feeding Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feeding Ground

Chris
"The spider creatures from Breeding Ground have begun to take over London. A small group of survivors decide to barricade themselves in an unused Underground Station, only to realize-too late-that it's right next to a storehouse for the spiders' food."

That paragraph above is supposedly the synopsis. Anyone who has ever read any of my reviews will know that I never write plot summaries, but this time I have to because that isn't what happens in the story at all.

Feeding Ground is sort of a second
Bandit
Another winner from Pinborough. I was expecting a direct sequel to Breeding Ground, but instead this book has all different (only momentarily vaguely mentioned) characters, but is set during the same events as the Breeding Ground. Pinborough's strength is in her writing, the characters come off as believable likeable real, the dialogue flows, the suspense keeps you turning the pages and the horror is very well depicted, terrifyingly so. I very much hope to see a continuation of this series (thou ...more
Kimberly
Not really a sequel to Breeding Ground, but the events happening in the city of London at the same time. I felt the characterization was better in this one, but was a little disappointed in the overall direction it took. I was hoping that it would answer a few questions, instead of remaining firmly anchored in the lives of a select few, without delving much into the larger picture.
Nick Cato
It's been 3 years since Pinborough's BREEDING GROUND, a creepy-crawly thrill ride loaded with some of the more vicious over-sized arachnids ever to grace a horror tale.

In this sequel that's as good as its predecessor, much of the action centers around a dread-locked gangsta named Blane who, with his childhood buddy Charlie Nash, are using the spider-apocalypse as a means to build their own empire in the London underground. Another group of survivors (school kids and their teacher) hang back in t
Brian
Watch out: it's another gruesome creature-feature from the pen of Sarah Pinborough.

Though generally billed as a sequel to the earlier Breeding Ground , Feeding Ground is more of a parallel apocalyptic tale, following the trials and perils facing a group of survivors living in London, whose experiences were occurring at roughly the same time as those of the characters in Breeding Ground.

Overall, I enjoyed this book about as much as Breeding Ground. While I liked the characters in the previous bo
Elke
Don't read if you suffer from arachnophobia!

Feeding Ground is another example for an entertaining mean little creature feature, this time with a creepy kind of spiders invading earth. While the action was always fast-paced, there was still enough room to flesh out the protagonists.

I appreciated that the author did not just describe another alien invasion, but put in a nice twist by placing it in the territory of a mad drug lord, which added some interesting variety.

Thinking of a movie version, I
John
This was a fun sequel that doesn't require the reader to have read the previous book. The author was a much more skilled writer this time around, and that skill was reflected in stronger characters and a less predictable plot. I even found myself creeped out a few times.

Briefly, nearly all women in the world one day become 'pregnant' with giant spiders. The birthing process kills the women, and the men are left to survive as best they can as prey for the new carnivorous beings. This time around,
Tarl
Giant spiders? How could you go wrong?
Apparently, fairly easily.

This is the second in a series from what I can tell, and I have not had the pleasure of reading the first, having picked this off a shelf at a local used book store. The back painted a very interesting idea of what should be contained within. However, once I started reading, the tale soon spiralled down to the point where I was struggling to finish the tale.

There are a fair bit of good points for this novel. The characters were inte
Scott Johnson
Pinborough's strengths come from her vivid description of a world that's gone completely to hell in just a few days. From the humid air to the hot rain, eerily quiet streets, and overturned buses, she paints a picture that is easily visualized, even by those who've never been to England. She builds every abandoned flat and weaves every blood-stained carpet to complete a picture perfect image. Similarly, she pays particular attention to her characters, giving them all real identities. From the me ...more
TJ
Fans of Pinborough's "Breeding Ground", which preceded this novel by a couple of years, may find themselves wallowing in the same pool of disappointment that I found myself after finishing ""Feeding Ground". Not willing to pick up on the group of survivors left behind in the first novel, Pinborough instead introduces the reader to an entirely new group of characters in this book. These characters, though faced with the same issue of trying to survive a London filled with super-sized spiders, jus ...more
Ade Couper
On the surface, this is a good old-fashioned horror in the vein of James Herbert's early stuff . However, as you'd expect from Sarah Pinborough, there are a few deft touches which lift this cracking tale over & above your bog-standard horror.

Rather than go into detailed explanations about the situation & what happened to set this up, it is just covered in a few words to Blane Gentle-King when he's been sprung from jail by his crew - & this works; you just accept it & get on with
Daniel
Although I would recommend reating Breeding Ground first, this is a contemporaneous account of Sarah Pinborough's apocalyptic horror world from another perspective. Where the first novel took place in a small town environment, this novel replays the same events in the heart of London.

The characterization was stellar for a genre which can sometimes treat characters as fodder. My opinion of each person must have changed three times through the course of reading, as new facets of their character we
Hellions
I initially thought Feeding Ground would be a sequel to Breeding Ground. Not quite, it's indeed the same events (big mean spiders taking over Great Britain) but unfolding in a different location with different characters. I imagine that a third novel is/was planned to tie everything up but seeing as Leisure Fiction has gone bust that may never come to fruition. Anyway, given the similarities between the two books, everything was a bit too familiar and predictable. I did however enjoy the well-fl ...more
Chip
More of a 3.5 out of 5, but an enjoyable story.
Robb Bridson
If you read only one book about crack-addicted monster spiders this year, make it this one.

A very strange tale, grotesque and disturbing rather than frightening; more an apocalyptic nightmare hellscape than a story. The characters are well fleshed out and the imagery is brutal... but the story doesn't seem to go much of anywhere.
I definitely want to read more by this author.
Eric
In this sequel to Breeding Ground we discover more about the giant spiders that have taken over England. Better written than the prequel, Pinborough's latest book is slowly building an intriguing post-apocalyptic world filled with warring spider tribes and giant rats. I keep waiting for King Cockroach to claim his sovereignty. Maybe he'll show up in the third book.
Kathy
This book sounds like a spin off from The Breeding Ground, but it's on a different level. I LOVED both books! On a sci fi level, but really great books!
A.R.
This one is genuinely creepy and effective. I wondered if she'd succeed with the giant spider thing as most people are disappointed by the ending of It, but she pulled it off. A genius author.
Kevin Gallan
Mar 04, 2010 Kevin Gallan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: apocalyptic and creature lovers
Shelves: horror
this was the first book i read of this author and i will be watching out for more of her books.the characters are well drawn and the action is believable.i love end of the world books.
Diane Mendenhall
Enjoyed the book. It was a nice change of pace. Didn't really care for the villains but I am curious what happened to everyone when the book ends.
D4ngerousBeans
Superb follow up to Breeding ground , shades of James Herberts The Rats about it, now one of my favourite authors .
Jonicat Motoike
Couldn't finish reading this book. It was terrible. Didn't care for any of the characters, whether they lived or died.
Trisa
it was so good did not think it was going to be that good thanks pinborough
Sabur76
It had a good premise, but no real substance. And not in the fun way either.
Very good story, but I am a sucker for the apocalypse!
Chris Williams
Good read indeed. This one would make a good movie.
Sonny Lee
Sonny Lee marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
George Luckenbill
George Luckenbill marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Jude
Jude marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
  • A Gathering of Crows
  • The Policy
  • Nemesis
  • Clickers III: Dagon Rising
  • Sparrow Rock
  • The Deluge
  • Joyride
  • The Pines (The Pines Trilogy, #1)
  • Long Claws
  • Midnight's Lair
  • Depraved 2
  • Wetbones
  • Haunted
Sarah Pinborough is the British author of five horror novels and her sixth, Feeding Ground, is due out from Leisure books in October 2009. Her short stories have appeared in several anthologies and she has also written aTorchwood novel Into the Silence for BBC Books (May 09). She is currently working on A Matter of Blood, the first of a supernatural thriller trilogy for Gollancz, which will be in ...more
More about Sarah Pinborough...
Mayhem Poison (Tales from the Kingdoms, #1) Charm (Tales from the Kingdoms, #2) Beauty (Tales from the Kingdoms, #3) Into The Silence (Torchwood, #10)