Start by marking “Your First Triathlon, 2nd Ed.: Race-Ready in 5 Hours a Week” as Want to Read:
Your First Triathlon, 2nd Ed.: Race-Ready in 5 Hours a Week

Your First Triathlon, 2nd Ed.: Race-Ready in 5 Hours a Week

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  195 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Joe Friel is the top coach in triathlon and his book Your First Triathlon is the best-selling book for beginner triathletes. This clear and comprehensive book makes preparing for sprint and Olympic triathlons simple and stress-free. Joe Friel's practical training plan takes fewer than 5 hours a week, giving aspiring triathletes the confidence and fitness to enjoy their fir ...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Velo Press (first published May 12th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Your First Triathlon, 2nd Ed., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your First Triathlon, 2nd Ed.

Jo * Smut-Dickted *
I'm more a runner than a triathlete but triathlon is always something that's been in the back of my head. Your First Triathlon is a good general book with a lot of good information. It is not too overwhelming (leaving aside the training plans) and covers everything fairly well including quite a bit on strength training and nutrition which you don't always find a ton of in other books or it is very cursory.

The initial few chapters were great introduction and well written. I thought the fact that
Tiffany
I have been hemming and hawing about whether or not I could finish a triathlon for several years now. I've completed many half marathons, a marathon, and various other running events, but for some reason a TRIATHLON sounded like something scary and completely unattainable. My own fears of failure/inadequacy kept me from even thinking about participating in a tri. I bought this book several years ago and have finally dusted it off from the bookshelf and signed up for a sprint tri! In addition to ...more
Chelsea
My first Friel purchase, the Triathletes Training Bible, is *very* advanced-- experienced/professional triathletes are the intended audience. After struggling through that book, I ordered this one and hoped for a similarly thorough book, but for beginners. But this book is too far at the opposite end of the spectrum: too basic, way too short.

Friel makes odd choices about when to be thorough (page after page on the mechanics of weight loss) and when to gloss over details (the swim chapter has no
Chris Maki
Great introduction to the sport of Triathlon. I think the real test of this book will be after my first race. I like the way Joe Friel introduces you to the various aspects of the sport and covers all of the equipment you will need. There are several training plans for your first Sprint distance Triathlon (750m swimm/20km bike/5km run) including plans for those that are already swimmers, bikers, or runners. Friel also walks you through your first race, even explaining how to lay out your T1 (tra ...more
Rich
The first section of the book itself is rather weak - but then again the subject isn't necessarily easy to write about. An exapmle of this is when the author attempts to describe proper stroke technique with words along - no images. This is like trying to describe how a hunter would dress a deer with only words. Many of the ideas in this book could be conveyed much easier if they had visual aids (or even better were taught in person).

The training schedules are where the book seems the most helpf
Melissalott
A good book if you're starting out and self-training for your first triathlon. Didn't give me a ton of new info (I have a family that talks about nutrition, etc a lot) - but gave pointers on training, motivation, goal-setting, and setting up transition areas that make me feel a lot better about doing my first tri in April. The autor made me laugh several times which is good.

A lot of the book is about triathlon as a lifestyle - healthy eating and exercise, etc. Good stuff.

Quick read - I finished
George
Didn't end up racing, so can't rate it too highly.....I'll try again next year!

I think it's good to have a general book on triathlons, so racers know what to expect re: race format, but in my opinion you are better off having a book on cycling, a book on swimming and a book on running. Then create your own workout schedule where you get up to the distances required for each leg. Obviously, your training routine should involve combining legs as well. Good luck!
Magen
This helped to ease my fear of the Triathlon I have committed myself to! It was informative yet basic and not overwhelming. I didn't give it the last star for two reasons, one, no pictures (don't judge! I'm a very visual person and diagrams would have been nice), two, I haven't put any of this into practice yet. I will try and remember to update my review after the race. I have a feeling though that I will keep this book close-by through out my training.
Naomi
This was a spectacular book for the beginner triathlete. The author offers breakdown of training schedules, nutrition, weight loss and equipment requirements. The author breaks trainings down to races being prepared for a successful race. Furthermore, I love that numerous resources were offered for self-directed trainings. This book was so inclusive in its content that I ended up purchasing it as a resource.
Elin
This is a straight forward "how to" book. It gives you all the guide lines and insights into what is required to do your first triathlon. It is wonderful to have all the tools. Only wish it gave the drive... hmm perhaps I should find a self help book that will inspire. lol :D
Liz
a book everyone should read if they are interested in running a triatholon.... like me :) however - this book doesn't provide you with very advanced training - but provides resources for others ways to get info - important for understanding the triathlete lifestyle and race day
Angela
This guide is informative and reassuring. I would have liked the book to include training plans that apply to people who are already fit and capable in more than one sport. The author's plans assume a swimmer can barely run, or a biker can hardly swim.
Michael Czachor
If you are thinking about competing in a triathlon then this is the first thing you need to buy. You will learn everything you need to know from picking your race, to how to train and what you actually need to finish. It's a must read.
Erin
Training for my first tri now - happy to have found this book. Not a lot was new info, but helpful to have it in one book as opposed to articles on multiple websites. Would recommend for newbies looking to learn more abt the sport.
Cameron
Not a bad introduction to Triathlon, been following the program for a couple of weeks. I do like the different bike, run and swim varieties. I would recommend this to anyone getting into the sport.
Richard Hoffman
Great book backed by Joe Friel's amazing expertise and scientific viewpoints. This book provides basic workouts and outstanding hints for improving athleticism, nutrition, strength and fitness... Enjoy.
Amanda
Jul 13, 2007 Amanda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: athletes
I don't think I would have made it across the finishline with such a huge smile on my face had i not taken the great advice and training suggestions given in Friel's perfect first-timers book.
Susankramer66yahoo.com
Well written and packed full of useful information. I really like the training charts and his upbeat encouragement for the first time triathlete. Does his plan work? We'll see...
Molly Gray
This is a great starter book on triathlon training. It strips the intimidation off the sport so first-timers can really figure out what they need to do to train and why.
Niloofar
GREAT book to get you off the couch to doing your first triathlon (and believe me if I can do it anyone can do it). I loved how simple the plan was.
Myra
Everything you've ever needed to know about doing a Triathlon is in this book. It's a how to type book... which I love. Good book!
Katie
Great information about training for a triathlon! I recommend this book to anyone interested in becoming a triathlete.
Susan
this will continue to be a nice reference as I work to becoming a more proficient triathlete!
Melissa
It worked! We started off with 0 fitness and were able to finish the race following his advice.
Scott
Great tips for triathlon training. Used it to help my wife train for her 1st triathlon.
Jonathanljoe
Dec 24, 2009 Jonathanljoe is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
i'm learning a lot! run with bare feet on grass to find your healthy running form, eh?
Laura Hoffman Brauman
A lot of good tips and suggestion -- seemed very practical and user-friendly.
Elizabeth
My training group plus this book got me through my first tri--useful.
Mark
Very basic and true introductory to Tri's. will use the training schedule.
Heather
I thought this was helpful and hopefully this will prove to be useful too!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Iron War: Dave Scott, Mark Allen, & the Greatest Race Ever Run
  • Slow Fat Triathlete: Live Your Athletic Dreams in the Body You Have Now
  • You Are an Ironman: How Six Weekend Warriors Chased Their Dream of Finishing the World's Toughest Triathlon
  • Runner's World Running on Air: A Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven Breathing Technique for Runners
  • Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes
  • Runner's World Run Less, Run Faster: Become a Faster, Stronger Runner with the Revolutionary FIRST Training Program
  • Run Like a Mother: How to Get Moving--and Not Lose Your Family, Job, or Sanity
  • Mile Markers: The 26.2 Most Important Reasons Why Women Run
  • A Life Without Limits: A World Champion's Journey
  • Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance
  • Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide
  • The Runner's Rule Book: Everything a Runner Needs to Know - And Then Some
  • Daniels' Running Formula
  • Total Immersion: Revolutionary Way to Swim Better and Faster
  • An Accidental Athlete: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Middle Age
  • Finding Ultra: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World's Fittest Men, and Discovering Myself
  • Moral Panics and the Copyright Wars
  • The Feed Zone Cookbook: Fast and Flavorful Food for Athletes
The Triathlete's Training Bible The Cyclist's Training Bible Going Long: Training for Ironman-Distance Triathlons Total Heart Rate Training: Customize and Maximize Your Workout Using a Heart Rate Monitor Your Best Triathlon