Start by marking “Sayap Peri (Wings, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sayap Peri (Wings, #1)

Sayap Peri (Wings #1)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  52,815 ratings  ·  4,284 reviews
Laurel benar-benar terpesona. Itu luar biasa indah––terlalu indah untuk digambarkan dengan kata-kata. Laurel berbalik menghadap cermin lagi, matanya menelusuri kelopak yang melayang di kedua sisi kepalanya. Itu terlihat seperti sayap.

Sepasang sayap yang mirip kelopak bunga tumbuh di punggung Laurel. Sejak itu dunianya berubah. Ia bertemu dengan Tamani. Pria itu melihat Lau
Soft Cover, 296 pages
Published January 26th 2012 by Gramedia Pustaka Utama (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sayap Peri, please sign up.

Caralyn Anderson Honestly, it depends on the person, you have to make the choice yourself. I was a little skeptical at first, but I haven't been able to put it down…moreHonestly, it depends on the person, you have to make the choice yourself. I was a little skeptical at first, but I haven't been able to put it down all day since I started reading this morning. (less)

Kat Kennedy
I probably shouldn't have read this. If you read the pre-read section at the bottom of the review, you'll see that I didn't even intend to order it. Yet, since I had it, I thought I'd give it a go.

I lasted 24 pages because that's all my sanity could take.

Laurel is a magazine-beautiful, waif-like teenager who leaves homeschooling in grade 10 in order to begin her high school career.

And that's when the story stops making sense. Not that the above makes any sense either. Models in magazines aren'
Arlene
Spoiler Alert!!! Spoiler Alert!!!
This book contains content that can cause a reader to inflict bodily harm to oneself. Proceed with caution! Oh and my review might contain a spoiler or two… you've been warned.

"Don't worry. I'll keep my distance from your blossom. I know whose petals I'm allowed to get into and whose I'm not. *he inhaled deeply* Mmmmm. As fabulous as you smell, your petals are off limits to me."

Whoaaaaaaaaa!! Get your mind out of the gutter! This is a YA book about fairie flowers
Kira
This books sucks so much, I'm speechless.

...

It reminds me of The Hills Have Eyes. Everyone told me how amazingly scary and jarring that movie was, and that I would get nightmares just by watching the credits at the start. Needless to say, I was less than enthusiastic, so I thought nothing more of it.

A while back I called my then-boyfriend and suggested we hang out. He said he'd be over in half an hour, and he'd bring movies with him. I thought, "goodie!" because let's face it; it's the summer, a
Katya
*Kate limps in the kitchen. Roommate looks up.*

Roommate: What happened to you?
Kate: Fell through too many plotholes.

You know, at least in one aspect, the caption doesn't lie: You do get a different viewpoint on faeries (fairies?). As for the magic, intrigue, romance and danger, I didn't get much on that, and the extraordinary bit kind of slipped me as well.

Good things first - the novel is short and reads easy. You're not given too much time to groan and despair over the things you hate. I admit,
Kristi
Wings was definitely a unique take on fairy mythology. And I finally get the significance of the cover now, which I have to say fits the novel perfectly.

I’m a huge fan of the Faery/Fairy/Fae... (was it is really?) genre, or rather sub-genre. I wasn’t surprised that I really liked this novel. Sensational plot line, really different than anything I’ve read. The first part of the novel moved a little slow for me. But once I became fully engrossed in the world that Pike created, I couldn’t get thro
Julie Kagawa
A very intriguing take on faeries. However, I feel that not a lot happened in the first third of the novel; it was mostly Laurel finding out who and what she is. Though beautifully written, it seemed more of an intro to the next book than a novel in itself. Still, it kept me turning pages, the characters were well developed, and the love triangle inspired many aww moments. I'm anxious to see what will happen in the next book
Kristina
Wings was my first ever fairy book and I adored it. Aprilynne Pike is so clever and creative. She has such a unique twist on fairies and I kept reading passages over and over again because they were just so interesting.
Jessica
TBR Reduction Challange #5 (Kirsten)

Alright guys, I’m throwing in the towel. I just can’t get over the fact that the girl has a giant flower growing out of her back. Ew. I mean, eeeew. Yeah, and then there are some things that just plain annoy me. Dialogues like this one for example:

...It took her a few seconds to find her voice.
"Who are you?"
He paused and studied her with a strange, unflinching look in his eyes.
"Well?" Laurel prompted.
"You don’t know me, do you?" He asked.

Um, I don’t know about
Ceilidh
Haleema
I actually finished the whole book without skipping a few pages here and there.

Pike's first book did not please me, nor did it downright disappoint me. It was simply mediocre.

Aprilynne Pike's WINGS is a remarkable debut; the ingenuity of the mythology is matched only by the startling loveliness with which the story unfolds.

Guess who said that?

Our wonderful, incredibly, thoroughly intelligent, one-and-only, Stephenie Meyer, author of the Toilet Saga

How lovely. She would enjoy this. Her tastes a
Lexa
This entire book can be summed up in one picture:

description

No, seriously, what the hell was that?!

This book makes less sense than Spongebob Squarepants. Oh, yeah, you heard me right.

This fucking book makes less sense than a cartoon about a sponge who makes burgers for a crab under water, has a pet snail and can't pass a driving test to save his life.

That's right.

So, Wings is about this chick called Laurel and her life is so frickin' hard guys. She had to move to another house, has to go to smelly-jelly ew
Demo
Lissa
Most of my friends rated this book one star, and some friends even have it on shelves to avoid... but there's just something about it that I really enjoyed...

Although Laurel is a TERRIBLE heroine, and I went into this book with quite low expectations (see my 'morbid curiosity shelf, reserved for books I have heard terrible things about but still have a desire to read) and the only reason I picked it up was because I saw it on the shelf in my local library... I actually enjoyed the book.

Aprilynne
J.
What Meyer has done to vampires, Pike has done to faeries. This book is sweet, funny, sensually and beautifully told. She gives every single character their justice and purpose. Amazingly composed. This has got to be a part of a series. I need more.
Debbie
Though I haven't read "Twilight" due to my abhorrence of anything vampire, this may be the fairy equivalent. Main character discovers she's a plant fairy, does battle with trolls, and must decide between two love interests, one a human and the other a fairy. Compelling story!
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Marta Morrison for TeensReadToo.com

What happens when you find out that you are different. Not just a little different but really DIFFERENT?!

Laurel finds herself in public school for the first time when she is a sophomore. She has been homeschooled in a small cabin in the forest. Her parents moved to Crescent City, in Northern California, about an hour away from her cabin to open a bookstore.

At her high school Laurel meets David, and he invites her to join his group of friends. He a
Sara Larson
By the end I was definitely sucked in. It is a very different take on fairies, very interesting. I'm definitely curious to see how this series turns out...
April
OH MY GOD. OH MY GOD. UM. THIS IS THE FIRST AND ONLY FAIRIE BOOK I'VE READ THAT I LIKED. AND I FLIPPIN LOVED IT
 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*
3.5 - 4 Stars

Wings was a fast and enjoyable read. I was struggling with how to rate it, though, as I'm somewhere between "Liked it" and "Really liked It".

This is a debut novel by Aprilynne Pike and has an endorsement by Stephenie Meyer as "A Remarkable Debut". While not quite remarkable for me, it was certainly a good enough start to a series that I am interested to read the next book.

If you want to read a twist on the faerie story, and if you enjoy love triangles, then you may want to check t
Laurel
I heard this book really, really stinks...
The main character has my name...

No one fucks up my name and

GETS

AWAY

WITH

IT.
Amy Plum
I love the very original (for me) faerie mythology that Pike has created in this book. And have to say I'm Team Tamani.
Ian
May 03, 2013 Ian rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Triffids who can remember what it felt like to fall in love.
One day a flower grows out of Laurel's back. Shortly thereafter she discovers she's a plant. Luckily her would be boyfriend is OK with dating a plant, in fact he thinks it's kind of cool. This of course raises the question as to what he was really doing with that iceberg lettuce in his room.

The premise of this book is whacked enough that I really should like it...sorry to say it just wasn't working. There was a lot of talk about petals which was just creepy, and would be boyfriend even asked if
Anila
All was well and good until Tamani's explanation of faerie reproduction, and then I was just painfully creeped out for the rest of the book.

The concept was interesting and, since I knew it beforehand, I could spot some of the foreshadowing in the first few chapters and appreciate it. As something of a biology nerd, I appreciated that part... but that was really the best part of the whole book, and those who didn't get the basic idea spoiled for them beforehand won't even have that to enjoy.

Neit
Stacia (the 2010 club)
2.5 stars. So I wasn't completely disliking Wings the way I was half expecting to. It had a very simple, almost elementary start. Once I stopped picking at the writing, I settled in to give the book a fair shot and found myself having fun with the book. It was a fast and fun read, so I can't complain too much.

Sure, cocky, perfect guys have completely saturated the market, leaving us lovers of YA looking for different male leads. We want flaws. We want real. I about groaned as I felt being pushed
Gwenyth
This is the fairy equivalent to Twilight, funny considering the fact that Stephanie Meyer blurbed it. The entire book form pg 1-200 was terrible, was okay pg 200-280, and back to terrible for the next 20 pages.

The Plot: Just like Twilight, it was added at the last minute and was a bit cheesy. Trolls trying to take over a forest? C'mon. If you're going to write a fantasy book, then you need a better imagination than that.

Characters: One-dimensional, no goals or purposes, exactly like Bella from T
Faith
I was going to put three stars, but I decided only two because really, it was just okay. First of all, why the heck did she title it wings? No wings were involved in the making of this novel. Secondly, I'm sorry but it was just so ridiculously far-fetched. I don't mind fantasy where you're just letting it be fantasy and you're not trying to make it fit into our world. But this was just STUPID. Really, Pike? She's a plant. Wowww. Thirdly, this is the stupidest love triangle ever. I keep hearing T ...more
Adele
Wings was definitely not my cup of tea. Poor characterisation, a plodding plot and unnatural dialogue did not make this a pleasant read. Scoffing quite often joined my grimaces and sighs as the pages slowly turned.

Laurel has to be one of the more insipid protagonists in recent YA literature. She's beautiful, subsides on lettuce and has a tendency to fall for guys as boring as she is. She's also a faery with a blossom (no this isn't a double entrendre). Her worst character trait is her utter lack
Stefani
Steph Su
What a disappointment. WINGS garners attention as being similar to Twilight, but let’s just say that the over-hyped vampire series is still a lot more interesting than anything this book has to offer.

Where do I even begin? The characters lack personality or appeal. Laurel has not a stitch of mental or physical strength on her. Her choice of actions have no validity or sense. The love triangle between Laurel, David, and Tamani is extremely contrived: I sensed no attraction at all between any of t
Dawn
Wings is an entertaining read, so if you are in the mood for escape into melodramatic teen romance, you'll probably like this book. But it doesn't stand up well to scrutiny. It is endorsed on the cover by Stephenie Meyer, and there are a lot of similarities to Meyer's Twilight. Like Meyer, Pike is a good storyteller, but her writing could be better. I actually noticed the writing problems much more in Wings than in Twilight. Then there is the plot. The main character, Laurel, is a teenage girl w ...more
What's The Name o...: SOLVED Book about a teen girl who finds out she is a fairy [s] 5 34 Oct 29, 2014 04:34PM
Anyone else dislike David?? 8 32 Aug 28, 2014 12:02PM
David or Tamani? 184 354 Aug 28, 2014 11:44AM
Wings movie 15 102 Aug 04, 2014 08:19PM
How to pronounce Tamani? 12 54 Jul 28, 2014 05:04PM
If you could be any "season", which would you choose? 57 144 Jul 28, 2014 12:26PM
Movie 34 119 Jun 01, 2014 06:52PM
  • The Lost Queen (Faerie Path, #2)
  • Glimmerglass (Faeriewalker, #1)
  • Tempestuous (Wondrous Strange, #3)
  • Bitter Frost (Frost, #1)
  • Bones of Faerie (Bones of Faerie, #1)
  • Fairy Tale
  • Fragile Eternity (Wicked Lovely, #3)
  • Sea Change
  • Ballad: A Gathering of Faerie (Books of Faerie, #2)
  • Need (Need, #1)
  • Eyes Like Stars (Théâtre Illuminata, #1)
  • Immortal (Immortal, #1)
  • The Eternal Ones (Eternal Ones, #1)
2096360
Aprilynne Pike has been spinning faerie stories since she was a child with a hyper-active imagination. At the age of twenty she received her BA in Creative Writing from Lewis-Clark State College in Lewiston, Idaho. When not writing, Aprilynne can usually be found at the gym; she also enjoys singing, acting, reading, and working with pregnant moms as a childbirth educator and doula. Aprilynne curre ...more
More about Aprilynne Pike...
Spells (Wings, #2) Illusions (Wings, #3) Destined (Wings, #4) Earthbound (Earthbound, #1) Life After Theft

32 trivia questions
12 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“So there's magic? Real magic? It's not just all scientific like David says?"
Tamani rolled his eyes. "David again?"
Laurel bristled. "He's my friend. My best friend."
"Not your boyfriend?"
"No. I mean...no."
Tamani stared at her for several seconds. "So the position's still open?"
Laurel rolled her eyes. "We are so not having this conversation.”
470 likes
“And do you really think someone's going to look at you and say, 'Hmm, I think that girl's a plant'?” 445 likes