Start by marking “Castles in the Air” as Want to Read:
Castles in the Air

Emmuska Orczy

Castles in the Air

Short story collection.

Mr. Hector Ratichon-onetime aide to Robespierre and confidant of Napoleon Bonaparte-is a rascal and rogue of the highest order. Nevertheless, his service to France and his resulting adventures make entertaining reading.
Published 2008 (first published 1921)

To ask other readers questions about Castles in the Air, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Castles in the Air

Kpent
Aug 03, 2011 Kpent rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Castles in the Air" does not compare with the wit and intrigue of "The Scarlet Pimpernel" or "The Elusive Pimpernel;" nevertheless, the Baroness managed to maintain my attention—if not exactly excite my interest—throughout the story.
Perry Whitford
Meet Hector Ratichon, agent confidentiel in early 19th century France and an opportunistic rogue if ever there was one!

Unscrupulous and self-important, prone to referring to himself in the puffed-up third person ('for I, Hector Ratichon, argus-eyed, was on the watch', 'I—Hector Ratichon, the confidant of kings, the benefactor of the oppressed' etc), he wants to tell you some stories from his life of shameless connivance.

And humorous stories they are too, tales of stolen documents ('A Roland For
Julie Davis
Jan 28, 2012 Julie Davis rated it liked it
A memoir of the adventures of Ratichon, a self-styled confidant of kings and emperors during the Napoleonic era. This is a short story collection of Ratichon's amusing adventures while helping those high in society solve their problems.

Most of the Orczy books I've read (well the only two I've read ... The Scarlet Pimpernel and The Old Man in the Corner) have been serious adventures. This book is quite humorous, in a gentle way.

FINAL COMMENTS
Not my favorite among Orczy's books but still a gem in
Roxane
Castles in the Air consists of several entertaining short stories introducing Hector Ratichon, a volunteer police agent (or as he sometimes introduces himself - a private inquiry and confidential agent). In today's terms - we would probably consider him a somewhat deft con man – but one who is also extraordinarily naive when it comes to beautiful women.
Larry
Jan 31, 2014 Larry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love how Ratichon points out the flaws in others even though he exemplifies the flaw ten times more than the person he blames. The protagonist makes this novel: a truly awesome caricature of self-serving greed.
Rachel
I picked it up because Baroness Orczy wrote Scarlet Pimpernell. Each chapter is a short story with the same main character, Hector Ratichon. I like the writing style, but Hector was not my favorite antagonist. I didn't read the last two chapters because Hector was oblivious and annoying.
Norma
May 13, 2014 Norma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emmuska Orczy is the author of the Scarlet Pimpernel books. I love those books and I enjoyed this one also.
Katie
Oct 30, 2013 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of stories all with the same main character. They are amusing and fun. A quick light read.
James
Jan 12, 2012 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: podcast, listened-to
Enjoyable short stories recalling the adventures of an early 19th century French rogue. Quite the character.
Rachel
Feb 28, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very amusing.
Phil Clymer
Phil Clymer rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2015
Lizzy
Lizzy rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2011
Anna Brown
Anna Brown rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was ok
Feb 08, 2013
Alissa
Alissa rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2013
Alia Makki
Alia Makki rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2013
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2014
Debra Byrd
Debra Byrd rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Vesna Denić
Vesna Denić rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2016
Miss Clark
Miss Clark rated it it was ok
Oct 14, 2008
Trine
Trine rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2017
Deirdre
Deirdre rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2014
Barb in Maryland
Barb in Maryland rated it liked it
May 16, 2008
J
J rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2007
Monkey
Monkey rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2015
Nicolas Garcia
Nicolas Garcia rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2012
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2014
Antonio D'souza
Antonio D'souza rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2010
Devneeta Bhusan
Devneeta Bhusan rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Works of Alexandre Dumas (Illustrated)
  • The Controversial Mayan Queen: Sak K'uk of Palenque (Mists of Palenque #2)
  • The Marriage Contract
  • The Agony Column
  • Uller Uprising
  • Don Quixote Volume One
  • The Kinshield Saga: The Complete Series
  • Shadows of the Gods (Crimson Worlds Refugees #2)
  • King Arthur and His Knights
  • Monsieur Lecoq
  • My Life on the Plains: Or, Personal Experiences with Indians
  • Salvage Merc One
  • Battlecruiser
  • The Orc of Many Questions (The Tales of Many Orcs, #1)
  • Alarms and Discursions
Full name: Emma ("Emmuska") Magdolna Rozália Mária Jozefa Borbála Orczy de Orczi was a Hungarian-British novelist, best remembered as the author of THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL (1905). Baroness Orczy's sequels to the novel were less successful. She was also an artist, and her works were exhibited at the Royal Academy, London. Her first venture into fiction was with crime stories. Among her most popular c ...more
More about Emmuska Orczy...