Blank-133x176

Emmuska Orczy

Castles in the Air

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Short story collection.

Mr. Hector Ratichon-onetime aide to Robespierre and confidant of Napoleon Bonaparte-is a rascal and rogue of the highest order. Nevertheless, his service to France and his resulting adventures make entertaining reading.
Published 2008 (first published 1921)

To ask other readers questions about Castles in the Air, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Castles in the Air

Kpent
"Castles in the Air" does not compare with the wit and intrigue of "The Scarlet Pimpernel" or "The Elusive Pimpernel;" nevertheless, the Baroness managed to maintain my attention—if not exactly excite my interest—throughout the story.
Perry Whitford
Meet Hector Ratichon, 'agent confidentiel' in early 19th century France and an opportunistic rogue if ever there was one. Unscrupulous and self-important, prone to referring to himself in the puffed-up third person ('for I, Hector Ratichon, argus-eyed, was on the watch', 'I—Hector Ratichon, the confidant of kings, the benefactor of the oppressed' etc), he wants to tell you some stories from his life of shameless connivance.
And humorous stories they are too, tales of stolen documents ('A Roland F...more
Julie Davis
A memoir of the adventures of Ratichon, a self-styled confidant of kings and emperors during the Napoleonic era. This is a short story collection of Ratichon's amusing adventures while helping those high in society solve their problems.

Most of the Orczy books I've read (well the only two I've read ... The Scarlet Pimpernel and The Old Man in the Corner) have been serious adventures. This book is quite humorous, in a gentle way.

FINAL COMMENTS
Not my favorite among Orczy's books but still a gem in...more
Larry
I love how Ratichon points out the flaws in others even though he exemplifies the flaw ten times more than the person he blames. The protagonist makes this novel: a truly awesome caricature of self-serving greed.
Norma
Emmuska Orczy is the author of the Scarlet Pimpernel books. I love those books and I enjoyed this one also.
Roxane
Castles in the Air consists of several entertaining short stories introducing Hector Ratichon, a volunteer police agent (or as he sometimes introduces himself - a private inquiry and confidential agent). In today's terms - we would probably consider him a somewhat deft con man – but one who is also extraordinarily naive when it comes to beautiful women.
Katie
This is a collection of stories all with the same main character. They are amusing and fun. A quick light read.
James
Enjoyable short stories recalling the adventures of an early 19th century French rogue. Quite the character.
P
P marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Kelly Crowe
Kelly Crowe marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Kat LeMaster
Kat LeMaster marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Lisa Rickman
Lisa Rickman marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Andréa
Andréa marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Corrine
Corrine marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Lilania Kershaw
Lilania Kershaw marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Yvette
Yvette marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Chris Southworth
Chris Southworth marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Julia Clopton
Julia Clopton marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Full name: Emma ("Emmuska") Magdolna Rozália Mária Jozefa Borbála Orczy de Orczi was a Hungarian-British novelist, best remembered as the author of THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL (1905). Baroness Orczy's sequels to the novel were less successful. She was also an artist, and her works were exhibited at the Royal Academy, London. Her first venture into fiction was with crime stories. Among her most popular c...more
More about Emmuska Orczy...
The Scarlet Pimpernel The Elusive Pimpernel  El Dorado: Further Adventures of the Scarlet Pimpernel The Adventures of the Scarlet Pimpernel The League Of The Scarlet Pimpernel