Start by marking “The Double Life of Herman Rockefeller” as Want to Read:
The Double Life of Herman Rockefeller

The Double Life of Herman Rockefeller

3.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  44 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
In January 2010, a law-abiding, church-going father of two from Melbourne's leafy eastern suburbs steps off a plane and goes disappears. An intense police investigation uncovers the shocking truth: Herman Rockefeller met with a pair of swingers - an alcoholic single mum and her rubbish-collector boyfriend - and the visit cot him his life.
Published January 25th 2012 by Penguin Michael Joseph

To ask other readers questions about The Double Life of Herman Rockefeller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Double Life of Herman Rockefeller

D.A.Calf
I would never normally read this genre. In this instance my lady received an advance copy and after idly thumbing through the first few pages I noticed reference to a number of places of significance to me and thus I read on.

As part of an arrangement we call Shit Kringle with friends at the end of last year I gifted a night for two at Fawkner Formule One. The date? Valentine's Day. Fawkner Formule One is situated at quite possibly THE most depressing intersection in all of Greater Melbourne, whe
Simone
I noticed this book in the library and thought it would be a deviation from fiction, but still fit in the AWW2012 challenge. I don't read a lot of true crime, but I do enjoy analysis of cases that I've heard about (if it's not too gruesome).

Awful subject matter aside this book is very readable. It is very well written in simple, concise language and although it flashes forward and back a little, the narrative is easy to follow.

I'll admit I was quite fascinated by the case itself. I remember hear
Karen
Feb 23, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
Whilst nobody deserves to die for sexual activities between consenting adults that could be regarded as unsavoury, THE DOUBLE LIFE OF HERMAN ROCKEFELLER says a lot about the causes of this man's death, and all of the participants in the whole sorry, mucky mess.

Herman Rockefeller was killed in January 2010, after a rendezvous at the home of Bernadette Denny, where he had gone, a second time, for sex. He died, it seems, because he lied about his circumstances and therefore his motives, and because
Michelle
Feb 26, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: aww-2012
I was curious about this book, I lived in Melbourne at the time the crime happened, I was at the arriving at the airport at the time the victim was leaving the airport (spooky) a friend of mine lives on the street that Herman the victim and his family lived it, lastly because it all just seemed so seedy.... The opening line of the book; "Herman Rockefeller sits in the church at the end of his street, wishing he was anywhere but there" we know straight from the get go that Herman is a conflicted ...more
Helen McKenna
Horrible subject matter aside, this was quite an interesting book. I was intrigued by it mainly because I just didn't understand what had driven a man who seemed to have two such distinct sides to his personality. In that sense I was left a little disappointed - because while this book details the crime and the aftermath, it doesn't really explain Herman himself and the darkness within him.

I did get the sense that Herman was a man who obviously battled his dark side, but made no real attempt to
Nomie
Mar 09, 2012 Nomie rated it liked it
I don't usually read non fiction and this was interesting but I was a bit frustrated by the grammar errors that weren't picked up in editing and I didn't really learn anything about the case that I didn't already know.
Fiona Gow hammond
May 25, 2012 Fiona Gow hammond rated it it was ok
interesting story, badly written.
Jodie Zahra
Sep 07, 2013 Jodie Zahra rated it liked it
So so.
Carmen Tourney
Carmen Tourney marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
A.r.
A.r. added it
Jan 20, 2016
Cassie
Cassie added it
Aug 02, 2015
Rachie
Rachie is currently reading it
Aug 02, 2015
Jamie
Jamie rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2015
Whitney
Whitney marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Leah
Leah rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2015
Mark
Mark added it
Jan 12, 2015
Gina C.
Gina C. marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Ismailsaleem
Ismailsaleem marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Jennifer Varnadore
Jennifer Varnadore marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Rhys
Rhys rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2014
Kristy Harmsworth
Kristy Harmsworth rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2014
Rebecca Cullen
Rebecca Cullen rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2014
Bri
Bri rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2014
Janine Mcginness
Janine Mcginness rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2014
Steve Austin
Steve Austin rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2014
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014