The Double Life of Herman Rockefeller

The Double Life of Herman Rockefeller

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  8 reviews
In January 2010, a law-abiding, church-going father of two from Melbourne's leafy eastern suburbs steps off a plane and goes disappears. An intense police investigation uncovers the shocking truth: Herman Rockefeller met with a pair of swingers - an alcoholic single mum and her rubbish-collector boyfriend - and the visit cot him his life.
Published January 25th 2012 by Penguin Michael Joseph

D.a.calf
I would never normally read this genre. In this instance my lady received an advance copy and after idly thumbing through the first few pages I noticed reference to a number of places of significance to me and thus I read on.

As part of an arrangement we call Shit Kringle with friends at the end of last year I gifted a night for two at Fawkner Formule One. The date? Valentine's Day. Fawkner Formule One is situated at quite possibly THE most depressing intersection in all of Greater Melbourne, whe...more
Simone
I noticed this book in the library and thought it would be a deviation from fiction, but still fit in the AWW2012 challenge. I don't read a lot of true crime, but I do enjoy analysis of cases that I've heard about (if it's not too gruesome).

Awful subject matter aside this book is very readable. It is very well written in simple, concise language and although it flashes forward and back a little, the narrative is easy to follow.

I'll admit I was quite fascinated by the case itself. I remember hear...more
Karen
Whilst nobody deserves to die for sexual activities between consenting adults that could be regarded as unsavoury, THE DOUBLE LIFE OF HERMAN ROCKEFELLER says a lot about the causes of this man's death, and all of the participants in the whole sorry, mucky mess.

Herman Rockefeller was killed in January 2010, after a rendezvous at the home of Bernadette Denny, where he had gone, a second time, for sex. He died, it seems, because he lied about his circumstances and therefore his motives, and because...more
Michelle
I was curious about this book, I lived in Melbourne at the time the crime happened, I was at the arriving at the airport at the time the victim was leaving the airport (spooky) a friend of mine lives on the street that Herman the victim and his family lived it, lastly because it all just seemed so seedy.... The opening line of the book; "Herman Rockefeller sits in the church at the end of his street, wishing he was anywhere but there" we know straight from the get go that Herman is a conflicted...more
Helen McKenna
Horrible subject matter aside, this was quite an interesting book. I was intrigued by it mainly because I just didn't understand what had driven a man who seemed to have two such distinct sides to his personality. In that sense I was left a little disappointed - because while this book details the crime and the aftermath, it doesn't really explain Herman himself and the darkness within him.

I did get the sense that Herman was a man who obviously battled his dark side, but made no real attempt to...more
Nomie
I don't usually read non fiction and this was interesting but I was a bit frustrated by the grammar errors that weren't picked up in editing and I didn't really learn anything about the case that I didn't already know.
Fiona Gow hammond
interesting story, badly written.
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Hayden
Hayden marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Hope Dudley
Hope Dudley marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
Breann McGrath
Breann McGrath marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2013
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Society Murders: The true story of the Wales-King murders True Crime Briefcase: The Society Murders