Butterfly Summer

Butterfly Summer

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  319 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Some secrets last a lifetime. When Becky and her mum move to the tiny village of Oakbridge, Mum is hoping for a new beginning. But when Becky discovers an old photo of her mum in hospital clutching a baby, twelve years before Becky was born, Becky becomes haunted by the thought that her mum is keeping something from her. Stifled by her mum's over-protectiveness and depress...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Usborne Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Butterfly Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Butterfly Summer

Incarnate by Jodi MeadowsWings by Aprilynne PikeFragile Eternity by Melissa MarrButterfly Porcupine by Susan  FrancisThe Other Life by Susanne Winnacker
Butterfly covers
22nd out of 135 books — 48 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsDork Diaries by Rachel Renée RussellTales from a Not-So-Talented Pop Star by Rachel Renée RussellSmile by Raina TelgemeierTales from a Not-So-Popular Party Girl by Rachel Renée Russell
books you'll enjoy (Girls)
169th out of 539 books — 526 voters

More lists with this book...

Heidi
I seem to be on a roll lately with really fabulous books. I just finished listening to Audible's Butterfly Summer by Anne-Marie Conway and read by Kate Harbour. This is added to my list of good reads. For the description of the butterfly garden alone, this book is worth the read. But who would have thought that a modern ghost story could take place in this setting?

Becky and her mother move to Oakbridge where her mother will start a new job back in her tiny home village. Becky is often alone as i...more
Sarah Dalton
I think this book has been marketed badly. I picked it up expecting a coming of age young adult story. Then I discovered that the protagonist is 12.

I felt that the book was a little confused, it didn't know what genre to pick. There were elements of contemporary, paranormal, spiritual and grief. The twist was obvious from the very beginning, but then I'm older than the natural reader age of this book should be.

There are other problems, too - the dialogue is not believable. There aren't many li...more
Paula  Phillips
What happens when everything you thought you ever knew about your life turned out to be a lie ? Butterfly Summer tells the tale of Becky who at age 12 moves to the smalltown of Oakbridge with her mother. Becky thinks that moving out to the middle of nowhere will be boring with a capital B but what happens when she finds a photo of her mum taken 12 years before she was born holding a baby girl. Who is the baby and how did she not know that she had a sister ? On the same day, Becky recieves a myst...more
.सोनिया.
What an incredible book! It was similar to Cecelia Ahern's The Book of Tomorrow in the untold secret, unusual behaviours from people in Oakbridge and wow.. what a suspenseful ending. If you enjoyed this book, another similar one is Forget Me Not by Isabel Wolffe. I loved this from beginning to end and I hope if you're thinking about reading this, please do. You won't regret it! 5 stars all the way. This story has emotional depth, likable characters and it's one I couldn't put down.
Ramaya
Mar 09, 2014 Ramaya rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Ramaya by: School
Oh my days!! #surprise.ending

I loved the way the suspense kicked in right at the start but still a little confused....
Stephanie Richard
Quite predictable, really, but then I might be too old for this kind of litterature... Really nice teen or child read though. I would have loved this book if I had read it when I was a child.
Stardust
Beckie has never ever met her dad. When she and her mum move to her mother's birthplace of Oakbridge, Beckie senses her mum is hiding a dark secret. The only place she can get the weight off her shoulders is in the Butterfly Garden, with her secret bestie, Rosa May. But why is Rosa May so jealous of Beckie's crush, Mack?Why is she so scared of water? Why has her dad never met her? Why did she find a photo of another baby girl under her mother's bed? Who is the baby? And where is she now?
With tha...more
Fayo1016
AMAZING ... Once i started i couldnt put it down.. I love the book so muchh , its very exciting , sad , cheerful and just the best book i have read this year!
Charlotte Phillips
You couldn't help but appreciate the very fact that this was a beautiful story full of contrasting and challenging emotions that just seemed to grasp you from the word go. The story line for me was not something that I ever remember reading before but the whole concept in which it was written was just done so well, in a manner that you could almost imagine it actually being that way. Becky is a confused normal 12 year old teenage girl, a girl who has been forced to change her life because of a j...more
hawwa
Becky isn't best pleased to be moved from her home in the city, where she has friends and a place, to the countryside where her mother grew up. There's a whole secret past that Becky feels on the verge of discovering - starting with friends her mother never mentioned, friends who drop unintentional hints about the father Becky has never met, and ending with the photo she finds of her mother with a baby - dated 12 years before she was born.

Then Becky's mother slips into depression, and Becky is l...more
Hannah Devaney
Butterfly Summer was a but slow to start off as the first two chapters were about her moving house. And most of the chapters I read felt like they were just pointles and the author had put them in just to make the book bigger. Also I think the story line was confused and leaves you with the question - Why doesnt she just ask her ? But instead Becky keeps hesitating to ask , so a majority of the book is her debating whether to tell her , which consequently gets boring.
Taylor King
The book was AMAZING and I like how it got everyone thinking .. It was just secrets secrets secrets and them BOOM information it's was soooo good and that's coming from someone who never reads ( me ) and this time I couldn't put the book down ... I think there should be a number 2 where it carries on and she meets her dad and becomes closer with mack but overall a TRUELY AMAZING book x
Toni
An engaging story but really should be marketed to pre-teens rather than the YA market. My daughter (14) also read the book and we both worked out the "twist" very early in the novel. I loved the concept and the themes of grief, loss and depression but I really would have loved more depth. I would recommend this book for 10 to 12 year olds.
Dian Turner baldwin
Lovely to read and well written.
As an adult reading it I guessed there was something 'odd' frm the very beginning and actually guessed the ending quite early on!
My (intelligent and amazingly literate) 11 year old (whom had already read the book) confirmed my suspicions were correct but was truly AMAZED that i had worked it out so quickly. Hence i think this book is well aimed at 10+ years.
It is gripping and sad in places.
I would highly recommend it.
Bookworm2000
This is a wonderful book that I stumbled upon in a bookshelf accidently, how I wish I could've discovered it earlier!
Becky's just moved into her new house in a small village called Oakbridge, where her mum spent her childhood. Becky's dying for answers about why did Mum leave Oakbridge in the first place, but she wants even more when she discovers a photo under her mother's bed (view spoiler)...
Becky's full of questions...more
Jaden (Booklol6)
Look can bevlie completed in 2 days it dangouresly additced the book great Middle Grade/Young Audlt ficton thilller so creepy just could not scream this book is perfect love fovevery every.
Isabella
I think this book suprised me in a good way. It really shook me in a good way .It made me realise how much secrets are actualy hidden from you.
Jade
A book written more for a younger audience, but really quite sweet and nice to read. This is a good book if u want a pleasant read, but are ok with guessing the ending pretty easily. Not amazing, just nice.
Sophie
I haven't finished but so far this book is really good and I have read her over book forbidden friends which is really good. :)
Ginni Brinkley
I bought this one as it was on a recommended reading list for my daughter's age group. She wasn't sure about it, so I said I'd read it first - this was a while so and I only just got round to it, oops. It's a quite well told story, but as an adult reader I could tell there was something weird about it from pretty early on, so I'd guessed the ending long before I got there. I think it fits nicely in the 9+ group, and at least it's not about vampires! Good for pre teen girls, an easy read for thei...more
Vicki
I really kind of enjoyed this book. I had my doubts at the start, because its quite clearly written in a language more suited to teens that adults, but once I'd gotten into it I found it difficult to put down: it was just so readable.
The outcome of the plot didn't even cross my mind as I was reading: in fact I spent most of the novel thinking that Rosa May was kind of a bitch for lack of a better word.
A little bit of an emotional roller coaster: I felt sorry for Becky frequently then annoyed a...more
Cami
Bev Spiller
another frothy easy read
Devil
A good book that should be interesting for teenagers or pre-teenagers (I didn't realise it had that age group as a target when I bought it, oops!). It has nice, clear language and is narrated by a 12 year old, though you sometimes can feel the adult behind, writing it.
It's a good story, the plot is easy to guess but it still left me scratching my head sometimes thinking 'what the heck is this?'
For adults, I think this might be a little predictive, but it's still gripping and a good read.
Amanda
I bought this book purely for the title with no actual idea of what it was about and didn't realise until I started reading that it was a children's book!! However, it was lovely to read and well written. The plot was fairly easy to guess (but I suppose I'm not the target audience really!) but I still liked how the story panned out. It was quite moving and a little bit magical. A perfect way to lose a few summer hours and certainly something I would have LOVED to read when I was that age...
Karen
I really enjoyed this book - I read it in one day.

Becky is alone after she has moved home with her mum. She finds that her mum is hiding something from her when she finds a photo in a box. Becky makes friends with Rosa in the butterfly garden near to where they live. Rosa is very possessive and demanding at times. When I got to the end of the book I was shocked and I just did not see it coming. This is one book I won't forget and I don't want too.
Jo Leyland
Anyone who hasn't read this book well YOU MUST READ IT! It's so good!
Lisa
I really liked this book. It started off as a sweet "Love Aubrey" style kind of story but swiftly turned dark. It was engaging and addictive, yet a very light read. I'd recommend this to a girl aged 10 and up. but it's still good for a teen reader who wants a really great read. It was very well written, and had an authentic voice. I really enjoyed this, and I look forward to the next one from this author!
Isabel Tomlinson
While I enjoyed the story, I did feel the plot was rather flakey at times and it was easy to guess the twist from quite early on. I know this is aimed at younger readers but kids aren't stupid! The book does cover the issue of depression and loss rather well, as well as friendships and boys, and I did enjoy the paranormal element. All the elements were there, it just missed that certain je ne sais quoi.
What do you think about the end of the book? 4 8 Aug 31, 2012 05:24AM
  • Angel Kiss
  • Drowning Rose
  • Frankie, Peaches & Me
  • Marshmallow Skye (The Chocolate Box Girls, #2)
  • Lily Alone
  • A Dog Called Homeless
  • One Minute to Midnight
  • Lessons in Laughing Out Loud
  • The Last Goddess (The Shattered Messiah #1)
  • Northwood
  • Slog's Dad
  • The Road of Bones
  • Magus of Stonewylde (Stonewylde, #1)
  • Book of Shadows / The Coven (Sweep, #1-2)
  • How to Fall
  • Weirdo
  • The Question That Never Goes Away
  • The Road (Being Human, #1)
Anne-Marie Conway is a primary school teacher specialising in drama, but also runs her own children’s theatre company, Full Circle. She lives in London with her husband, two young sons and two eccentric cats, Betty and Boo. Anne-Marie has written a number of humorous sketches which have been performed by her theatre company, but "Phoebe finds her voice", shortlisted for the inaugural Times/Chicken...more
More about Anne-Marie Conway...
Forbidden Friends Phoebe Finds Her Voice Polly Plays Her Part Star Makers: Sam in the Spotlight (Star Makers Club)