Start by marking “Butterfly Summer” as Want to Read:
Butterfly Summer

Butterfly Summer

Some secrets last a lifetime. When Becky and her mum move to the tiny village of Oakbridge, Mum is hoping for a new beginning. But when Becky discovers an old photo of her mum in hospital clutching a baby, twelve years before Becky was born, Becky becomes haunted by the thought that her mum is keeping something from her. Stifled by her mum's over-protectiveness and depress ...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Usborne Publishing

Paula  Phillips
Oct 27, 2012 Paula Phillips rated it it was amazing
What happens when everything you thought you ever knew about your life turned out to be a lie ? Butterfly Summer tells the tale of Becky who at age 12 moves to the smalltown of Oakbridge with her mother. Becky thinks that moving out to the middle of nowhere will be boring with a capital B but what happens when she finds a photo of her mum taken 12 years before she was born holding a baby girl. Who is the baby and how did she not know that she had a sister ? On the same day, Becky recieves a myst ...more
Siobhan
Sep 28, 2015 Siobhan rated it liked it
This isn’t my usual kind of read. In fact, it belongs to my younger sister and I only picked it up as I was waiting on the delivery of my books and I needed something to do. It’s a cute little read which can be completed rather quickly (in a couple of hours if you’re a speedy reader).

It’s a beautiful little piece, although I will admit there were some predictable moments in it. I also felt as though the ending itself could have continued on in another manner – by that I would have liked to see w
Sarah Dalton
Feb 16, 2013 Sarah Dalton rated it it was ok
I think this book has been marketed badly. I picked it up expecting a coming of age young adult story. Then I discovered that the protagonist is 12.

I felt that the book was a little confused, it didn't know what genre to pick. There were elements of contemporary, paranormal, spiritual and grief. The twist was obvious from the very beginning, but then I'm older than the natural reader age of this book should be.

There are other problems, too - the dialogue is not believable. There aren't many li
Fayo1016
Jun 11, 2013 Fayo1016 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING ... Once i started i couldnt put it down.. I love the book so muchh , its very exciting , sad , cheerful and just the best book i have read this year!
Heidi
Jan 31, 2013 Heidi rated it it was amazing
I seem to be on a roll lately with really fabulous books. I just finished listening to Audible's Butterfly Summer by Anne-Marie Conway and read by Kate Harbour. This is added to my list of good reads. For the description of the butterfly garden alone, this book is worth the read. But who would have thought that a modern ghost story could take place in this setting?

Becky and her mother move to Oakbridge where her mother will start a new job back in her tiny home village. Becky is often alone as i
.सोनिया.
What an incredible book! It was similar to Cecelia Ahern's The Book of Tomorrow in the untold secret, unusual behaviours from people in Oakbridge and wow.. what a suspenseful ending. If you enjoyed this book, another similar one is Forget Me Not by Isabel Wolffe. I loved this from beginning to end and I hope if you're thinking about reading this, please do. You won't regret it! 5 stars all the way. This story has emotional depth, likable characters and it's one I couldn't put down.
Lissa
Apr 03, 2015 Lissa rated it it was amazing
It is a fantastic book and so enjoyable to read. I really loved it and I thought it had an amazing story. Its really worth reading and I would really recommend it. I can explain how brilliant it actually is!
Stephanie Richard
Aug 20, 2012 Stephanie Richard rated it really liked it
Quite predictable, really, but then I might be too old for this kind of litterature... Really nice teen or child read though. I would have loved this book if I had read it when I was a child.
Ramaya
Mar 09, 2014 Ramaya rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Ramaya by: School
Oh my days!! #surprise.ending

I loved the way the suspense kicked in right at the start but still a little confused....
Dolo
Aug 26, 2015 Dolo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-my-shelf
I love it, its so gorjuss!
Charlotte Phillips
Aug 09, 2012 Charlotte Phillips rated it really liked it
You couldn't help but appreciate the very fact that this was a beautiful story full of contrasting and challenging emotions that just seemed to grasp you from the word go. The story line for me was not something that I ever remember reading before but the whole concept in which it was written was just done so well, in a manner that you could almost imagine it actually being that way. Becky is a confused normal 12 year old teenage girl, a girl who has been forced to change her life because of a j ...more
Alexandra
Dec 03, 2016 Alexandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
This is a very, very, very underrated book. The best way to go in it is blindly. If you haven't read a lot of mysteries/ thrillers this is a perfect book because I'm pretty sure you won't be able to see the plot twists. If you have read lots of mysteries/thrillers, the ending might not surprise you as much. Overall I would recommend picking this up if you need a fast paced read.
Sufia
Dec 06, 2016 Sufia rated it did not like it
i thought it was going to be a good read however it was not. this book was too predictable (right from the moment the protagonist met Rosa May everything had become clear), it was a drag to read, the age of the protagonist (only in year 7) did not fit well with the storyline even though it is a YA read.
Abbie
Jan 16, 2017 Abbie rated it it was amazing
one of my favourite books with the best plot twist
Gibelle
Oct 27, 2016 Gibelle rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put the book down. It's exciting and so intriguing.
Affreen
Sep 16, 2016 Affreen rated it it was amazing
Could not top reading the book.
Bookworm2000
Sep 04, 2012 Bookworm2000 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a wonderful book that I stumbled upon in a bookshelf accidently, how I wish I could've discovered it earlier!
Becky's just moved into her new house in a small village called Oakbridge, where her mum spent her childhood. Becky's dying for answers about why did Mum leave Oakbridge in the first place, but she wants even more when she discovers a photo under her mother's bed (view spoiler)...
Becky's full of questions
Stardust
Apr 24, 2014 Stardust rated it it was amazing
Beckie has never ever met her dad. When she and her mum move to her mother's birthplace of Oakbridge, Beckie senses her mum is hiding a dark secret. The only place she can get the weight off her shoulders is in the Butterfly Garden, with her secret bestie, Rosa May. But why is Rosa May so jealous of Beckie's crush, Mack?Why is she so scared of water? Why has her dad never met her? Why did she find a photo of another baby girl under her mother's bed? Who is the baby? And where is she now?
With tha
ZS
Mar 23, 2016 ZS rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school-reading
This is an amazing book, that I strongly recommend to anyone above the age of 8 (just because younger readers may not understand the story and may find it slightly scary). It is an excellent book, full of suspense and excitement.
At first you think that it is going to be really boring and scary, but soon it turns in to a lovely book, all about Butterflies. However it soon turns very different - about a girl (Becky) who knows nothing about her past, because of her secretive mum.
I think that you
Vicki
May 13, 2013 Vicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
I really kind of enjoyed this book. I had my doubts at the start, because its quite clearly written in a language more suited to teens that adults, but once I'd gotten into it I found it difficult to put down: it was just so readable.
The outcome of the plot didn't even cross my mind as I was reading: in fact I spent most of the novel thinking that Rosa May was kind of a bitch for lack of a better word.
A little bit of an emotional roller coaster: I felt sorry for Becky frequently then annoyed a
Ginni Brinkley
May 16, 2013 Ginni Brinkley rated it liked it
I bought this one as it was on a recommended reading list for my daughter's age group. She wasn't sure about it, so I said I'd read it first - this was a while so and I only just got round to it, oops. It's a quite well told story, but as an adult reader I could tell there was something weird about it from pretty early on, so I'd guessed the ending long before I got there. I think it fits nicely in the 9+ group, and at least it's not about vampires! Good for pre teen girls, an easy read for thei ...more
Dian Turner baldwin
Mar 10, 2015 Dian Turner baldwin rated it liked it
Lovely to read and well written.
As an adult reading it I guessed there was something 'odd' frm the very beginning and actually guessed the ending quite early on!
My (intelligent and amazingly literate) 11 year old (whom had already read the book) confirmed my suspicions were correct but was truly AMAZED that i had worked it out so quickly. Hence i think this book is well aimed at 10+ years.
It is gripping and sad in places.
I would highly recommend it.
Isabel Tomlinson
Apr 15, 2012 Isabel Tomlinson rated it liked it
While I enjoyed the story, I did feel the plot was rather flakey at times and it was easy to guess the twist from quite early on. I know this is aimed at younger readers but kids aren't stupid! The book does cover the issue of depression and loss rather well, as well as friendships and boys, and I did enjoy the paranormal element. All the elements were there, it just missed that certain je ne sais quoi.
Amanda
Aug 03, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it
I bought this book purely for the title with no actual idea of what it was about and didn't realise until I started reading that it was a children's book!! However, it was lovely to read and well written. The plot was fairly easy to guess (but I suppose I'm not the target audience really!) but I still liked how the story panned out. It was quite moving and a little bit magical. A perfect way to lose a few summer hours and certainly something I would have LOVED to read when I was that age...
Lisa
Jun 10, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own-this
I really liked this book. It started off as a sweet "Love Aubrey" style kind of story but swiftly turned dark. It was engaging and addictive, yet a very light read. I'd recommend this to a girl aged 10 and up. but it's still good for a teen reader who wants a really great read. It was very well written, and had an authentic voice. I really enjoyed this, and I look forward to the next one from this author!
Devil
Aug 20, 2012 Devil rated it liked it
A good book that should be interesting for teenagers or pre-teenagers (I didn't realise it had that age group as a target when I bought it, oops!). It has nice, clear language and is narrated by a 12 year old, though you sometimes can feel the adult behind, writing it.
It's a good story, the plot is easy to guess but it still left me scratching my head sometimes thinking 'what the heck is this?'
For adults, I think this might be a little predictive, but it's still gripping and a good read.
Hannah Devaney
Jun 22, 2014 Hannah Devaney rated it it was ok
Butterfly Summer was a but slow to start off as the first two chapters were about her moving house. And most of the chapters I read felt like they were just pointles and the author had put them in just to make the book bigger. Also I think the story line was confused and leaves you with the question - Why doesnt she just ask her ? But instead Becky keeps hesitating to ask , so a majority of the book is her debating whether to tell her , which consequently gets boring.
Toni
An engaging story but really should be marketed to pre-teens rather than the YA market. My daughter (14) also read the book and we both worked out the "twist" very early in the novel. I loved the concept and the themes of grief, loss and depression but I really would have loved more depth. I would recommend this book for 10 to 12 year olds.
Kimberly
Mar 25, 2014 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sf, children, 2014
Quite good middle-grade that's perfect for its intended audience (age-wise). Adults and older kids will know right away the big secret, but I feel like 10-12 year olds will figure it out on their own at just the right moment. This is a book I would have loved around that age (I read many books just like it).

Full review: http://www.stackedbooks.org/2014/02/w...
Freddy Shaw
Mar 26, 2012 Freddy Shaw rated it it was amazing
This was the best book I have read in ages. It is so creepy but also moving and sad. I really loved the relationship between Becky and Mack and at the end of the book I just wanted to read more and more about them. I also thought the link between the mum's depression and her obsession with the puzzle was brilliant. Overall a five star book. Please read it - it's AMAZING!!!
What do you think about the end of the book? 4 14 Aug 31, 2012 05:24AM
  • Anne Frank
  • In Darkling Wood
  • Angel Kiss
  • Frankie, Peaches & Me (Stella Etc, #1)
  • Back to Blackbrick
  • A Boy Called M.O.U.S.E.
  • A Dog Called Homeless
  • Tyme's End
  • The Saturday Evening Pearls: A Pearls Before Swine Collection
  • Potty Training Boys the Easy Way: Helping Your Son Learn Quickly--Even If He's a Late Starter
  • The Penguin Guide to Punctuation
  • 12 Books That Changed the World
  • Whatever It Is, I Don’t Like It
  • Divine Freaks
  • The Road of Bones
  • Who Are We   And Should It Matter In The 21st Century?
  • A World Without Bees
  • The Cloud Hunters (The Cloud Hunters, #1)
Anne-Marie Conway is a primary school teacher specialising in drama, but also runs her own children’s theatre company, Full Circle. She lives in London with her husband, two young sons and two eccentric cats, Betty and Boo. Anne-Marie has written a number of humorous sketches which have been performed by her theatre company, but "Phoebe finds her voice", shortlisted for the inaugural Times/Chicken ...more
More about Anne-Marie Conway...