Tales of the Far West

Tales of the Far West

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Featuring a dozen tales from critically-acclaimed and award-winning authors from the fantasy, science-fiction, horror and adventure genres, Tales of the Far West kicks off Adamant Entertainment’s line of Far West fiction, which will include novels, further anthologies and more.

Far West is a world based on the tropes of the Spaghetti Western and Chinese Wuxia. Add steampun...more
Published January 27th 2012 by Adamant Entertainment

To ask other readers questions about Tales of the Far West, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of the Far West

Katharine
"He Built The Wall To Knock It Down" by Scott Lynch - 5/5 stars. Wonderful as always - opening lines were perfect Lynch and everyone's name was unexpected yet suitable. Good to see the female just walk away, too.

"In Stillness, Music" by Aaron Rosenberg - 4/5 stars. Really quite lovely, different to most things out there. It's always good to see a baddie who's sensible instead of so ruthless it's stupid.

"Riding The Thunderbird" by Chuck Wendig - No rating, as I had no idea why what happened, happ...more
Joseph
At the risk of repeating myself, anthologies are always, or at least usually, something of a mixed bag and this was no exception. But the highlights, including stories by Scott Lynch (I really need to read the Locke Lamora books sooner rather than later) and Ari Marmell, amongst others, more than compensate for some of the less stellar offerings, and nothing in here was truly bad.

At its heart, this is a tie-in anthology for an as-yet unreleased (I believe) pen & paper role-playing game. The...more
Guy Gonzalez
Gareth-Michael Skarka has assembled a solid mix of storytellers to shed light on his intriguing new setting, Into The Far West, a Spaghetti Western/Wuxia/Steampunk mashup that promises a mix of fiction, gaming, comics, and more to come. From Scott Lynch's rousing He Built The Wall to Knock It Down, to Eddy Webb's clever and abrupt In the Name of the Empire and Matt Forbeck's crisp The Fury Pact, there isn't a false note in this engaging anthology (though the last story does uncharacteristically...more
Angela
I decided after the profoundly disappointing and enormously frustrating experience that was GRRM’s “Dangerous Women” anthology that I would no longer trudge through collections on the grounds that I needed to give all the contributors a fair shot. Consider Tales of the Far West the first victim of that decision.

The premise was cool enough: a bunch of stories by a bunch of different authors, set in a world that is equal parts American Old West, and traditional Far East. Far West. Get it? Anyway.....more
Ken
In Tales of the Far West, Skarka brings together a number of today's top writers to create an anthology like no other. In this collection you will find that elements of Wuxia and Kung Fu are brilliantly mixed with Western and Steampunk to create a slick and unique world.

By far the best story of the anthology is Scott Lynch's entry, "He Built The Wall To Knock It Down", which truly captures the essence of what this collection is trying to achieve. The story is told from the point of view of the s...more
Nick Brett
This is great fun, and a great price too (if bought on kindle).
It's a series of short stories set in a shared fantasy world which is part old West cowboy, part steampunk and a dash of magic. It works pretty well and the authors here (most famous is probably Scott Lynch) take their own approach to the sandbox they are playing in, while remaining true to certain central themes. The stories are all fun and at times quite clever and you sense the authors have enjoyed the experience and that comes th...more
Louis
These are a number of short stories in a setting that is a mix of western and wuxia. It is a setting where life is brutal and sometimes short, and living legends still walk the land. But even legends are only human, and normal people have to find a way to live.

The story telling is wonderful. Most of the stories have protagonists who are complex in motivation, and wily in applying their skills and wisdom to the situations that face them. And for two genres known for fighting, many of the stories...more
Mike
Tales of adventure, revenge, and danger in a world where six-guns and swords can carry legends that shake men's souls. It's wuxia meets old west, where kung-fu meets high noon, and it's a very fun idea to explore.

The book is an anthology, and as such is somewhat uneven (the "old west SAW" type story was my least favorite), but the good stories were very good and almost all of them paint a picture of a setting that makes me interested in the upcoming RPG.

Scott Lynch's story is especially well don...more
William P.
This property is shaping up to be an excellent setting for all kinds of goodness. These stories are all of the highest quality and entertaining as hell. My only problem is that there are a number of typos in the book; spelling errors and even an omitted word or two. That's bad, and it makes me worry a little about the attention being paid to such things over at Far West HQ. Still, everything here is delicious reading and I intend to push it on everyone I know when the print edition comes out. Ho...more
MeiLin Miranda
I Kickstarted this project a while back for the RPG portion; this was a perk in addition to the game, a collection of short stories set in the game's world. Boy, if the game is as good as this story collection I'm gonna have some fun. Not every story is a gem. I don't care for horror/grisliness that much and one piece in the book is grisly and not much else. But the other stories more than made up for that one, and that one was simply a matter of preference. Well done, all, and can't wait for th...more
Casey Hansen
I am not typically the type who read short stories, usually preferring novels between 500 and 1000 pages, so my rating is a little biased based on that. What I will say about this book is that almost all the stories were good and many of them left me wanting more of the small world they had created. Too short and unconnected for me to give it a 4 or 5 but if you enjoy westerns or steampunk and dont mind reading shorter stories that this would be a great book for you
Ken Reed
Take classic Kung Fu flicks and Westerns, spice it up with Steampunk and a bit of pulp fiction heroism, and you have Far West. All the stories were fantastic and depicted a world in which I want to visit.

Each story was well written. The characters well thought out. Each read like an old dime novel. Simply beautiful. I want more.
Ahimsa
The world and the setting are great. Scott Lynch's story is fantastic. Each of the rest, however, were average or (for most) worse-than-average. Really a very disappointing collection; I cannot recommend it to anyone. But I do think the world has promise and I hope later projects have better execution.
Andrew Couch
I am a fan of Gareth-Michael Skarka from a long time ago on his Underworld RPG. The theme of mixing old west with kung fu inspiration is pretty cool. Scott Lynch's lead story is definitely fun.
A few of the stories fell a bit outside of my tastes, but overall a great book.
Lotta
Sep 26, 2012 Lotta marked it as did-not-finish
I totally got this for the Scott Lynch story, and so I didn't manage to finish more than that and a couple more. This is probably just not my genre. I did like what I read, but I couldn't get into it after reading what I bought it for.
Doug
Clever and compelling genre mash-up that kept me flicking pages. The consistency of the short stories was better than many anthologies, so hopefully that is a propitious sign for this ambitious project.
Trevin Sandlin
3.5 stars. A few exceptional stories, a few decent stories, a couple of meh entries and one or two that I didn't care for. Still, a fun read and recommended for wuxia and/or western fans.
Ron
Scattered set of stories set in a shared universe. Will have to explore more as time allows. Helped keep me awake and sane while setting through a graduation ceremony.
Rif Saurous
Mind candy. Perfectly acceptable. I can't give 3.5 stars?
Shaun Newcomer
Shaun Newcomer marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Cairea Hobbit
Cairea Hobbit marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Cheryl Medley
Cheryl Medley marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Samantha 5
Samantha 5 marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Gareth-Michael Skarka is a writer, game designer, consultant, graphic designer and veteran of over twenty years in the entertainment business, having worked on properties ranging from Star Trek to Doctor Who and more.

He is the creator of FAR WEST, a transmedia setting that mixes elements of Chinese Wuxia, Spaghetti Westerns and Steampunk, and is the founder and director of Adamant Entertainment,...more
More about Gareth-Michael Skarka...
Winter Is Coming, Part 1: The Game of Thrones RPG Supplement. Winter Is Coming Part 3: The Game of Thrones RPG Supplement Thrilling Tales Underworld RPG: An Adventure Game of Subterranean Urban Fantasy Corsair

“I’m speaking of the pursuit of excellence in all things. All things! Presence of mind and devotion to craft. A great artist has these. A great chef. A great master of tea. There’s powerful kung fu in a well-built house or an eloquent letter, but the limit of your imagination is bones breaking and bullets flying.” 4 likes