Start by marking “Christopher” as Want to Read:

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Young Christopher Lagorio sees the grandeur of God in the vast Minnesota sky, and in its cold lakes and dark forests. When a Catholic girl introduces him to the Eucharist, Christopher falls in love with her and with the mystery of the Church, but lacks sufficient faith to convert.
Haunted by the heavenly, yet born of this earth, Chris grows toward manhood seeking to discove
Published December 20th 2011 by Sophia Institute Press

To ask other readers questions about Christopher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christopher

Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn WaughThe Power and the Glory by Graham GreeneThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. LewisThe Divine Comedy by Dante AlighieriThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
Catholic Fiction
305th out of 356 books — 303 voters
Catechism of the Catholic Church by The Catholic ChurchStory of a Soul by Thérèse de LisieuxThe Confessions by Augustine of HippoJesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict XVIDark Night of the Soul by John of the Cross
Roman Catholic Reading
197th out of 292 books — 158 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeff Miller
Closer to five stars.

Three years ago I received the first novel by David Athey, Danny Gospel a novel I thoroughly enjoyed. His new novel Christopher
explores some similar themes, but not a repeat in any way.

The story follows Christopher starting at the age of eleven. Christopher is a lover of nature and does more than to stop to smell the roses, but to really look at a rose. His parents are a sort of hold out from the sixties with his mother being into alternative therapies and vegetarianism. Chr
Regina Doman
Disclaimer: I edited this book for Sophia Institute Press so of course I think it's great. A beautiful poetic novel about a young knight in search of the truth -- and the three girls he falls in love with along the way to seeking the Greatest Love.
Jenny
Christopher is an engaging story which follows a boy in search of truth. Even at a young age, Christopher has the ability to see the presence of the holy in the natural world, yet he does not know God fully. Still, his mystical heart continues to search for true love which he must give himself to unconditionally.
Ange

Beautifully written. I found myself gasping at times, it was so beautiful. It is a growing up story, a boy into a man in the gorgeous city of Duluth, MN. It's also a story of his search for Truth, which he finds in the Catholic church. I enjoyed reading this book, it is lovely and compelling.
loraknits
What a refreshing book! Would recommend it to older teens and up :-) Lots of short chapters that make you want to stay up way too late to see what happens next! I am looking forward to reading more by this author!
Jessie
I thoroughly enjoyed reading Christopher, and would recommend it to anyone who likes to be moved and grown by a story. It's full of incredible pockets of imagery and epiphany that grip you, and cause you to pause and give space to them within yourself.

The author is no doubt a poet; this shows through in Athey's perception of the natural world and the inner life of a young man as he comes of age. However, this is not simply a coming-of-age story; it is also a dance of pursuit and retreat between
Gilbert
Sep 05, 2013 Gilbert rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Spiritual but not Religious, Religious but not Spiritual; College students
Recommended to Gilbert by: Phil Vasquez
Shelves: for-fun
I hardly ever read "light" material. It's not so much that I'm not interested but whether I would have time to read up on heavier topics and themes. So when my friend Phil gave me this book, I was unsure if I would actually read it.

I ended up LOVING THE BOOK! I related to the main character in unfathomable ways! It was like watching some of my own love stories unfold, and so many of the events Christopher went through were realistic but intriguing.

The author used the short chapter method. I was
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Gabrielle
Gabrielle is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2014
Anna Rose
Anna Rose marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Nadja VanderStroom
Nadja VanderStroom marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Skylar Burris
Skylar Burris marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2013
Danny Klopovic
Danny Klopovic marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
Laura added it
Oct 12, 2013
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2013
Gina Marinello-Sweeney
Gina Marinello-Sweeney marked it as to-read
May 16, 2013
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2013
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2013
Rebecca Ethridge
Rebecca Ethridge marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2013
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2013
Grace Postorino
Grace Postorino marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2013
Jerca
Jerca marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2013
Teri
Teri added it
Jan 13, 2013
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2013
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2012
Danny Gospel Hunting and Gathering Heaven Letters to Love by The Dumb Waiter Tampa Review 26