Start by marking “Through the Door of Life: A Jewish Journey between Genders” as Want to Read:
Through the Door of Life: A Jewish Journey between Genders

Through the Door of Life: A Jewish Journey between Genders

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Professor Jay Ladin made headlines around the world when, after years of teaching literature at Yeshiva University, he returned to the Orthodox Jewish campus as a woman—Joy Ladin. In Through the Door of Life, Joy Ladin takes readers inside her transition as she changed genders and, in the process, created a new self.
With unsparing honesty and surprising humor, Ladin wrest
Published March 15th 2012 by University of Wisconsin Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Through the Door of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Through the Door of Life

B Newmark
This book’s title suggests a question about transformation, change and a journey. But a funny thing happens on the chemically triggered, expensive, au courant, lush leafy road to womanhood—well funny if you find humor in whining and taking a hatchet to your wife. If someone held a gun to my head and said: you better explain this book, all I could say was that the two defining characteristics of this book are misogyny, of a very masculine nature, and self indulgence of the sad sack nature—now, pl ...more
Catherine
I have never before read a book that took me so swiftly to the heart of what it is to be born into the wrong body. Much of Ladin's story is heartbreaking - her memories of childhood are wrenching for how soon the disconnect between her self and her body pushed her to deep, pervasive despair and self-harm, and her struggle to parent her own children in the present is its own difficult (but worthwhile) trial. Yet there is so much that is beautiful about this book and this story - the courage Ladin ...more
Peggy
This is the first memoir written by a transgendered person that helped me truly understand why this could be a necessary step in someone's life. I read Chaz Bono's book and two by Jennifer Boylan, but neither of those authors brought me to awareness of the compelling need to shift gender and the trauma of gender dysphoria. Joy Ladin expressed the deep pain of an existence lived in the wrong gender and the horrible psychological impact of existing in the wrong body. Those reviewers who state that ...more
Suzanne Ondrus
Ladin lets you know much of her struggle with realizing her true gender. I liked her insights into Judaism with transgender issues. She shows how becoming her true gender cost her her spouse, intimacy with her children, and friends. It was fascinating and helped me to appreciate & begin to understand transpeople.I'm bringing in excerpts to my Queer Studies class.
Favorite pages-bookmarked: 70-73,"When I was a kid, I couldn't risk becoming someone my family would despise"(72). She felt like sh
Aaron
Sep 10, 2012 Aaron rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: trans
A well-written, heart-breaking and enlightening book. Also wonderful to read some of the specifically Jewish thoughts and ideas about transition.
Ahf
A beautifully rendered almost poetic story of gender transition, and what personal authenticity involves.
Lori
This book was a revelation in so many ways. Joy Ladin opens up her world to the readers in such powerfully insightful ways, and draws them in to the agony of growing up in the wrong body, the loneliness of her struggles, and the sorrows of losing family and friends, all the while remaining open to the love and friendship of those who would help and assist her on her journey to becoming who she was always meant to be. I have a friend who's child is at the beginning of the process of "becoming", a ...more
Janaki Kuruppu
Totally blown away by this book!

In my professional live, working with HIV-infected individuals, it is not uncommon for me to encounter transgender individuals, but this book is written from the perspective of someone well-educated, literate, and religious, and, as such provides a unique perspective into the reality of someone who is born with a male body, but who feels their identity to be female.

There are so many ways in which this book resonates with truth, and, I must say that the negative re
Karen
I could not wait for this to be published, so I'm sad to be giving it a mediocre review, but I was disappointed. In many places the book is an outpouring of emotion without enough story around it to give the emotion substance. I especially had trouble with the fact that Joy's wife seemed like such a monster (I understand it's hard to have a spouse transition, but how could she think it was okay to tell the kids their father had abandoned them by transitioning?), and despite all the references to ...more
Angela
This book was a heartbreaking memoir about Joy Ladin's transition and the cruelty she faced from society, her family, and herself. As a poet Ladin adds beautiful metaphor and depth to her writing. This book made me angry but that is how I know it was well written. This book is brave and painful.
Dina Tanners
This is a powerful book. I learned a lot from it but it was tough to read. I began to understand what it is to be born with one physical gender but to have a mind of the opposite gender. From a very young age, Jay/Joy knew something was very wrong. At age 6, he read an article in a woman's magazine in his mom's bedroom which described a young boy who was dressing as a girl, and felt a strong kinship.

I had problems getting into it, in part because of the style of writing and also because of my pr
Karen
Joy Ladin (formerly Jay Ladin) is a poet and a professor of English at Yeshiva University's Stern College for Women. The book is written with the clarity and poetry of language one would expect, considering her background. In addition, though, it includes the wry humor and deep pain of her midlife transition from male to female. Especially poignant is her ongoing fortitude in rebuilding a relationship with her three beloved children.

This is an important read for any compassionate person, but it
Teagan
Joy's book is an honest, vulnerable look at just how painful and rewarding coming out as trans and deciding to transition can be. Especially for an individual in middle age. "Through The Door of Life" is an incredibly brave narrative. The vulnerability and honesty she shows by admitting that she ruined her family's lives is powerful. Joy's story is sad, but it is also hopeful and is well worth the read. I read the book very quickly. Joy is an excellent writer who masterfully uses the English lan ...more
Amy
Fascinating memoir that definitely got me thinking about gender more deeply. There were many aspects I couldn't relate to as a non-trans woman, but these tended to be what got me thinking the most. Much of the writing was beautiful, with some delicious turns of phrase. However, all the lengthy descriptions of painful emotions made parts of the book a chore to wade through. I wanted more story for context and less focus on descriptions of the emotions themselves.
Sharon Rosenberg-Scholl
This book was painful yet hopeful, so heartfelt and intimate. I felt honored to be allowed into the author's very emotional and spiritual struggles. I love memoirs, that experience of being let in to someone else's very personal story, of "hearing" the inner workings of the soul and mind of another person. This is a beautiful memoir, beautifully written that I would recommend to all.
Sharon Forni Brady
This is an amazing story of one man's struggle to become his "true" self. Terribly moving to read how he struggled so long, but to finally achieve it. Not without, of course, tremendous pain for him and his family.
Susann
Beautifully written,this book will stay with me. I found myself having to put the book down every few pages because Ladin's experience is so powerfully shared that I needed to process what it must be like to go through her experience. Her faith in G-d and her profound love for her children is inspirational. So is this book. Read it.

Miriasha Borsykowsky
I enjoyed it but it took a while for me to get through, what with school and being tired. It was a very effective and beautifully written look into gender dysphoria, and Joy's descriptions of her belief in God actually helped me see into that world as well.
Lauren
Fantastic memoir!
Erica
Intrigued by the interview with Krista Tippett, the book was about what I expected. A hopeful story via a lot of dark places.
Sue
Aug 13, 2012 Sue rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sue by: The Jewish Week
Parts of her experiences are extremely painful to read about, as they were for her to experience.
Heather
an incredible story
Dani Rose
Amazing. Loved it!
Ella M
Ella M marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Chelsea Sauvé
Chelsea Sauvé marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
KC
KC marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Robbie Haddad
Robbie Haddad marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Judith Swartz
Judith Swartz marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
  • Goodbye, I Love You
  • A Queer and Pleasant Danger: The True Story of a Nice Jewish Boy Who Joins the Church of Scientology and Leaves Twelve Years Later to Become the Lovely Lady She is Today
  • The Nearest Exit May Be Behind You
  • Transposes
  • Pee-Shy
  • The Collection: Short Fiction from the Transgender Vanguard
  • Nevada
Transmigration Psalms The Definition of Joy Coming to Life: Poems Troubling the Line: Trans and Genderqueer Poetry and Poetics