Start by marking “Deliver This!: Make the Childbirth Choice That's Right for You . . . No Matter What Everyone Else Thinks” as Want to Read:

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  51 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
A woman's decision about what kind of childbirth experience she wants to have is central to her politics, identity, and personality. Today's moms and moms-to-be are better informed about their options than ever before, but, perhaps not surprisingly, they confront rigid judgment from women who choose a different path. Women who opt for home birth are criticized for being re ...more
Published November 22nd 2006 by Seal Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Deliver This!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deliver This!

Traci
Jul 12, 2010 Traci rated it it was ok
I really wanted to scream every time I heard 'granola', 'yoga' and 'hippie' to describe moms making the choice to home birth and how much mothers were putting themselves and babies at risk having this type of birth. Not very helpful to moms looking for unbiased information like this book indicates by the title that it will give .
Shana
Jul 09, 2015 Shana rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Pregnant women
So I went to my local library to find some books about childbirth. You would think this would be an easy errand, but no. Preferably, I wanted something that wasn't going to completely freak me out. Good luck with that! First I picked up one with pictures from the 70's of a fully naked woman pushing a baby out of her untrimmed (okay, it WAS the 70's...) nether regions while, inexplicably, talking on the phone. Then I found one that seemed to be more of a really long poem then a book about childbi ...more
Wendy
Nov 21, 2010 Wendy rated it did not like it
Shelves: breeder
Ugh, rubbish. This book claims to be an unbiased exploration of all birth options available so a pregnant woman can draw her own conclusions and make her own choice. Bullshit. So much colored and loaded language--much as I love the repetitive implications that I am an anti-vaxxer "crunchy granola" superstition-loving technology rejecting smug hippy for wanting a natural birth, the ridiculous mischaracterisation and falseness of it pretty much destroys any credibility I might bestow upon her when ...more
Danielle
Oct 23, 2012 Danielle rated it really liked it
Recommended to Danielle by: Stephanie C.
Shelves: 2012, pregnancy
This book has some very mixed reviews on Goodreads, but I really liked it and found it helpful. It is written to be a guide to different childbirth options, ranging from unmedicated homebirth to planned C-section. After having medicated hospital births with her two kids, the author interviewed a wide variety of women who'd had different kinds of births and tries to present the basics of what each option is like, why it might be the best option for certain people, or not a good option for others. ...more
Marisa
Feb 14, 2009 Marisa rated it liked it
Recommended to Marisa by: pregtastic
Unfortunately, I can't say that I learned too much from this book. I didn't feel the author was particularly unbiased -- she clearly had a preference for a medicated hospital birth. I don't have a problem with that, but if you're writing a book intending to educate people on different birth options and why they're right for the women that choose them, you might want to leave your personal opinion out of it. I felt like her handling of anything outside of the current mainstream of the medicated h ...more
Aug 24, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
A really good read for women who are pregnant, thinking of becoming pregnant, or who have already gone through childbirth (no matter how you went through it). It covers quite a bit of ground, every type of birth you can imagine, plus real stories from women who have been there, done that, and have the strength to tell others how it was. I'm glad I picked this up as it helped me deal with some unresolved emotional issues from my first birth and lent plenty of insight for my next.
Régine Michelle
Jul 23, 2007 Régine Michelle rated it liked it
Recommends it for: ppl who plan to have children
My girlfriend Jasmine recommended this to me, and I am SO GLAD to have read it before going into labor. Although I find the writing style annoying and can imagine the author s exactly the type of person from whom I would not take advice, the way she lays out the different birth options with pros, cons, and testimonials by women who have opted for them is extremely helpful. I appreciate the book's explicit mission to present the various options in an objective fashion that empowers women to CHOOS ...more
LINDA
Nov 12, 2007 LINDA rated it it was ok
Shelves: medical
After reading the book Pushed (see my bookshelf), I saw this book at the library and decided to read it. The author explains the rationale that a woman might have for selecting their birth plan, ranging from one end of the spectrum with homebirth all the way to the other end with planned c-sections and everything in-between.

I don't think that this book is helpful in providing the facts and information that one would need in order to intelligently select a birth plan.

Once you have selected your
Christina
Nov 17, 2015 Christina rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
I liked that this book urges mothers to be less judgmental. She really seems to try to understand all of the possible birth plans mothers have. However, I didn't really find the writing that appealing, and didn't feel like it was really backed up by any science. She seems to have just interviewed a bunch of moms without looking into scientific studies.
elita
Aug 25, 2007 elita rated it did not like it
I gave this book one star because I thought from the title that it would be about how to advocate on your own behalf during your birth experience, whether that be in a traditional hospital setting or with a nurse midwife. In fact, the book was just a happy pat-on-the-back to all women, saying whatever choice you make is just fine. The author went into her own delivery experience blindly accepting whatever the doctors and nurses told her to do and she doesn't even attempt to hide her distaste for ...more
Elizabeth Abney
Aug 08, 2008 Elizabeth Abney rated it liked it
If you’re reasonably well-informed about different birthing options, then there isn’t much new information in this book. It is mostly unbiased and does a good job of explaining why some choices may be better for some women. The birth stories were nice and the author stresses being open-minded and educated about other possibilities if things don’t go as you have planned.

Borrowed from the public library.
Kaye
Dec 14, 2010 Kaye rated it really liked it
Well, this book isn't unbiased. Let's get that out of the way. However, if you are headed for a more medicalized birth, and have a lot of mixed feelings about it, this book will give you some reassuring information about the pros and cons of putting your delivery into the hands of doctors.
Michelle Sisneros
Jan 03, 2013 Michelle Sisneros rated it liked it
It was extremely biased towards medicated childbirth, but still worth reading. It gives a nice overview of the different types of birthing options including pros/cons and birth stories. This is my first pregnancy and I now feel I have a better understanding of what options are available.
Emily
May 07, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it
Although this book is biased, I still thought it did a good job of describing how different birth situations play out. It's helpful in that way because we don't all get the birth experience we're hoping for, and it's nice to have an idea of other ways it might go.
Mar 28, 2016 Laura rated it it was ok
Pretty basic overview of various labor/delivery options. She says her goal is to present a non-judgmental view, but her opinion flavors the entire book. It's a little to sarcastic and tongue-in-cheek of a writing style for me.
Christine
Jul 06, 2010 Christine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby
An overview of the current birthing options (everything from home-births to elective c-sections) presented in as unbiased a manner as possible. Funny and a page turner, I wish I'd picked this up earlier in the pregnancy.
Mary Ellen
Apr 10, 2009 Mary Ellen rated it really liked it
I am really enjoying this book. It does attmept to give an unbiased overview of all types of delviery methods, ranging from the homebirth to the planned c-section.
Flavia
Oct 25, 2007 Flavia rated it liked it
I think this book is well written but I find it a little overwhelming personally. It could just be me and the fact that I'm pregnant with my first.
Jasmine
Jul 23, 2007 Jasmine rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: expecting moms
this book was quite imformative. it presents a variety of childbirth options without judgement which i found quite refreshing
Rachel
Apr 14, 2008 Rachel marked it as to-read
Shelves: childbirth
Haven't read this, but as soon as anyone else I know is pregnant, I will...
Ruth Kyle-devendorf
Ruth Kyle-devendorf is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2016
Margaret Keller
Margaret Keller marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Sarah added it
Apr 04, 2016
Юлія Бать
Юлія Бать marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Shadae
Shadae rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2015
Erin K. King Daley
Erin K. King Daley rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Tracey Koppen-davis
Tracey Koppen-davis rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Shruti
Shruti is currently reading it
Aug 08, 2015