Start by marking “Jean Laffite: The Pirate Who Saved America” as Want to Read:
Jean Laffite: The Pirate Who Saved America

Jean Laffite: The Pirate Who Saved America

This biography of the infamous pirate Jean Laffite is a real-life, action-packed adventure. Since he was a young boy, Jean longed to be a pirate, and with the help of his brothers and uncle, he became one when he was just a teenager. Soon the only life he knew was on the high seas—a life full of glory, riches, disaster, and revenge. When he finally settled down in New Orle ...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Jean Laffite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jean Laffite

Barbara
Since little is known about Jean Lafitte, the subject of this biography, the author has relied on Lafitte's own journal written from 1845 to 1850. When I first opened this book, I wondered if I would learn anything knew about this man who is often considered a hero in New Orleans, where I lived for 25 years. I was pleasantly surprised to learn quite a lot that I didn't already know from the stories about Lafitte that were passed on from person to person. For instance, I had no idea that Lafitte ...more
Dina Tanners
Jan 25, 2013 Dina Tanners rated it liked it
I loved the illustrations in this book. They were eye-appealing and seemingly historidcally accurate. The subject matter is rather sophisticated, so it might be best read aloud to a child in 3rd grade or so. There are full-page illustrations on almost every other page and half page illustrations on other pages. THe large-sied book has 47 pages including an index. The story is about Jean Laffite, a young Jewish boy born in Port-au-Prince in the 1780s. The book definitely has a Jewish focus, begin ...more
Adelie
Nov 27, 2016 Adelie rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting children's book, with fantastic illustrations. I recommend it!
Marguarite Markley
Picture book biographies have become commonplace in the last 5 years. They are a great way to introduce kids to historical figures they may not encounter otherwise. I really like the story of Jean Laffite. A pirate who eventually helps win the Battle of New Orleans. Why had I never heard of him before? I would recommend this book to boys and girls who love all things history, or who love all things pirate. The pictures accompanying the text are excellent and give the reader a good sense of time ...more
Miriam
Jan 05, 2013 Miriam rated it really liked it
That was very cool. It certainly heightens the magic that immediately after I read this book, I drove over to see the ruins of Lafitte's mansion. A lot of suppositions were made about a man we know relatively little about, but it makes for a compelling narrative. The Jewish angle was very interesting, and not often adopted, though very likely accurate. The beautiful digital art complements the narrative well.
Christina
Oct 28, 2013 Christina rated it really liked it
I never knew that Jean Laffite, noted pirate of New Orleans, was Jewish! This lovely picture book explains that he wanted to become a pirate at an early age, and he harbored a grudge against Spain specifically because of their persecution of Jews. He became a respected citizen in New Orleans, but was still a privateer and even became leader of 500 buccaneers. Interesting story and dramatic life, well told. Loved the art, beautiful digital illustrations that look as if they are oil paintings!
Sandy Brehl
Rich, dramatic images help make this an appealing read, but it is a much more complex and traditional narrative of Laffite's life than would typically be considered a "picture book". For an older reader it provides a very human and appealing approach to earl American history,including the author's note after the text.
Teri
Jan 14, 2013 Teri rated it it was ok
Shelves: pirates
The illustrations are beautiful! We were super excited about this true story. BUT IT'S SO TERRIBLY WRITTEN! Write a STORY for crying out loud. Don't document every single detail known about the man in a picture book! Bummer.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I enjoy Susan Goldman Rubin's books. I seem to learn new things all the time. This time I learned about Jewish Pirates, particularly one individual, from the late 18th/early 19th century. Fascinating.
Carol
Feb 18, 2015 Carol rated it liked it
The boys and I enjoyed this book. The illustrations as especially lovely, and it's interesting to learn more about "our" pirate. We were a little disappointed that his story didn't get to Lake Charles.
Edward Sullivan
An interesting biography of the pirate who helped win the Battle of New Orleans. I had no idea he was Jewish and that there were a good number of Jewish bucaneers. The illustrations are a bit too stylized for my taste.
Sharon Lawler
Enjoyed the factual information about one of the most famous pirates, who become an American patriot.
Karen
An interesting story about jean laffite. Full of adventure and patriotism. The text seemed a bit choppy, but overall a good book.
Cathy Blackler
Jun 26, 2012 Cathy Blackler rated it liked it
I am a fan of all things pirate. This was an interesting account of a time in US history that included swashbuckling, privateers, and pieces of eight. Rubin is a master of research.
Kim
This is o.k., but it would be better without all the exclamation points that were not really needed. The illustrations would have been better if they were true water colors and not photoshoped.
Jim
Sep 18, 2012 Jim rated it really liked it
really good read and pictures. has a terrific bibliography
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
May 18, 2013
Kristen
Kristen rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2012
Carol
Carol rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2012
Rebecca Wenzler
Rebecca Wenzler rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2012
Pamela
Pamela rated it liked it
May 31, 2014
Andrea Labonte
Andrea Labonte rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2014
Brianna
Brianna rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2013
Cecelia
Cecelia rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2013
Duane
Duane rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2012
John
John rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2012
Barbara
May 10, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it
Read my review at http://wp.me/pUBjo-ma
Laura rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2012
Rani
Rani rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2012
Susan Goldman Rubin is the author of more than forty-five books for young people, including Andy Warhol: Pop Art Painter; The Yellow House: Vincent van Gogh and Paul Gauguin Side by Side; and Edward Hopper: Painter of Light and Shadow. A long-time instructor in the UCLA Extension Writers Program, Susan Goldman Rubin lives in Malibu, California.
More about Susan Goldman Rubin...