The Extraordinary Music of Mr. Ives: The True Story of a Famous American Composer

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  8 reviews
When the Lusitania was attacked in 1915, the American composer and New Yorker Charles Ives transformed the experience of this heartbreaking news into a musical piece. It begins with a jumble of traffic noises, then the hurdy-gurdy swells into the lovely old hymn “In the Sweet Bye-and-Bye.” In lyrical text and watercolors—sometimes in dramatic wordless spreads—this thoughtf...more
Published October 28th 2012 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published October 9th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Extraordinary Music of Mr. Ives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Extraordinary Music of Mr. Ives

Jill Cd
The book was not what I thought, I was hoping for more information about Mr. Ives. A very basic introduction to this composer.
Nitza Campos
(Grades 1-4) True story of Charles Ives who composed music that was not appreciated until after his death. This book focuses on the music that was inspired by the sinking of the Lusitania. The thing I loved most about this book is how poetic it is. Brief biography included along with additional sources.
Liz
A great American composer whose music was never really performed (or appreciated) until after his death. Even now, I had never heard of this "famous" composer. Author's note and sources included.
Blaine Moore
A fun little story about an American composer - the middle of the book is "silent" with no words but lots of fun pictures for my daughter to point at glance through.
Crystal
This reminded me of the Wynton Marsalis picture book Squeak, Rumble, Whomp! Whomp! Whomp! because of the music in everyday sounds.
Edward Sullivan
Great story about an influential composer who found inspiration for his music in the unlikeliest of palces.
Beth
Great story about how American composer Charles Ives was inspired to write his music.
Jen
Mar 25, 2013 Jen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: pb
simple line drawings, historical note in back
Cara
Cara marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Kartika
Kartika marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2013
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2013
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2012
Famous Dead Canadians Famous Dead Canadians 2 Who Runs This Country, Anyway?: A Guide to Canadian Government Leftover Kid The Leftover Kid