Start by marking “The Extraordinary Music of Mr. Ives: The True Story of a Famous American Composer” as Want to Read:

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  12 reviews
When the Lusitania was attacked in 1915, the American composer and New Yorker Charles Ives transformed the experience of this heartbreaking news into a musical piece. It begins with a jumble of traffic noises, then the hurdy-gurdy swells into the lovely old hymn “In the Sweet Bye-and-Bye.” In lyrical text and watercolors—sometimes in dramatic wordless spreads—this thoughtf ...more
Published October 9th 2012 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Extraordinary Music of Mr. Ives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Extraordinary Music of Mr. Ives

Charles Ives, no relation to Burl Ives, heard music in everyday sounds including traffic. Due to the influences he cultivated around him, his music was way ahead of it's time. Ives always retained a day job (that had something to do with numbers). It wasn't until after his death that his music finally found a place.

Not great for a early biography. It left me with more questions than answers. There is no mention of whether he was related to Burl Ives, which is a common question. There is no expla
Nashiea Edmiston
A brief biography of Charles Ives, a business man and famous American composer. The book tries to chronicle the sinking of the Lusitania in 1915 but I have to say that I was a bit underwhelmed with the background on why the attack occurred. The middle sections of the book are wordless and probably my favorite as I felt the emotion portrayed on the faces of all the people on the ship, I feel the illustrator did an excellent job. I would recommend this book for older elementary, perhaps grades 4-5 ...more
I was very underwhelmed by this story and I think the children will be too. I doubt many kids will know the song he's famous for and the story does not do much to heighten any interest in him.
Gail Shipley
There was not enough content in this book. When I finished reading it I still did not know the author's purpose. Very disappointing.
Jill Cd
The book was not what I thought, I was hoping for more information about Mr. Ives. A very basic introduction to this composer.
Nitza Campos
(Grades 1-4) True story of Charles Ives who composed music that was not appreciated until after his death. This book focuses on the music that was inspired by the sinking of the Lusitania. The thing I loved most about this book is how poetic it is. Brief biography included along with additional sources.
A great American composer whose music was never really performed (or appreciated) until after his death. Even now, I had never heard of this "famous" composer. Author's note and sources included.
Blaine Moore
A fun little story about an American composer - the middle of the book is "silent" with no words but lots of fun pictures for my daughter to point at glance through.
This reminded me of the Wynton Marsalis picture book Squeak, Rumble, Whomp! Whomp! Whomp! because of the music in everyday sounds.
Edward Sullivan
Great story about an influential composer who found inspiration for his music in the unlikeliest of palces.
Great story about how American composer Charles Ives was inspired to write his music.
Mar 25, 2013 Jen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: pb
simple line drawings, historical note in back
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Shannon Brasher
Shannon Brasher marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Becky marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Christie marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Sara marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Kyle marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015