Start by marking “Froggy's Baby Sister” as Want to Read:
Froggy's Baby Sister

Froggy's Baby Sister (Froggy)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  374 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Froggy's parents are expecting a new baby, and Froggy is hoping for a brother. So when his parents introduce him to Pollywogilina, his new baby sister, Froggy is disappointed. Not only is she a girl, but Polly is too little to do anything! Froggy isn't even allowed to take care of her until her tail falls off. Waiting is hard, but just when he's ready to give up, Polly's l ...more
Published September 8th 2005 by Puffin Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Froggy's Baby Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Froggy's Baby Sister

Mariah
Mar 28, 2012 Mariah rated it it was amazing
Amusing when Polly,s diaper fell off and froggy got a red face when froggy jumped off the swing into the water.
Katelyn Warner
Nov 17, 2010 Katelyn Warner rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, families
* Fiction
* Funny
* Individual reading book
* New siblings
* Froggy is excited to have a new sibling, but then realizes that babies can’t “do anything fun” because they are too little and, in his baby sister’s case, doesn’t have legs because she’s still a tadpole.
Joy
Apr 12, 2015 Joy rated it liked it
Frrrooggyy!

Froggy's mother has a baby and Froggy is disappointed that is is a girl and also that he can't play with her until she loses her tail. In the end, even Froggy's new baby sister is calling for him.
Cheyenne
It was a cute story, though I was a little disappointed. The parents went to the hospital to have the baby and then came back in a short span.
Bethany
Feb 24, 2013 Bethany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-family
From Ms. Kim

Cute book on how to deal with a new family member. Can use to bring better understanding about life in family.
Adam
Apr 14, 2008 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the way Katherine imitates the baby frog calling his sister, "Fwo...Fwo...Fwo...Fwwwoooggyy!"
Jess
A nice book to share with kids who are about to become a big brother or sister.
Alexandria
Dec 18, 2011 Alexandria rated it really liked it
In this book Froggy wants a baby brother, but he gets a baby sister instead.
Meg McGregor
Jun 25, 2013 Meg McGregor rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-lexi
A really sweet way to introduce a new sibling to the family.
Truman Green
Jul 14, 2011 Truman Green rated it it was amazing
Perfect book for young boys having a younger sister
Lisa
Feb 10, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it
Great book for kids who going to have a younger sibling.
Benji Martin
Mar 04, 2015 Benji Martin rated it really liked it
One of the better Froggy books.
Rebecca Heywood
Apr 28, 2014 Rebecca Heywood rated it really liked it
Read with Gregory, he loved it.
Mary
Apr 28, 2015 Mary rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Froggy wants a baby brother to play with and is disappointed when he gets a baby sister, Pollywogilina, who is too little to play. Eventually, Froggy comes to appreciate Polly and her first word is "Fwwooggyy!" Young readers will find Polly adorable and readers with new siblings will appreciate Froggy's viewpoint.
Sheeba Virani
Every family faces the situation of a new family member and young children sometimes have a hard time coping with the situation. This book is great to read when some child in the class is about to become a big brother or sister. It helps them understand that now they are no longer the baby of the family and have to play their part in helping mom and dad care for the baby. But mom and dad will always love them no matter what!

Extension
Ask children what preparations their family is making to welcom
Judy
Mar 16, 2014 Judy rated it it was amazing
Kids and I enjoy reading about Froggy's adventures! This would be a great read for young children who are awaiting a new baby brother or sister!
Linzi Wilkinson
Feb 25, 2009 Linzi Wilkinson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-catalog
Genre: Picture book

Reading Level: grade K-3

Topics & Themes: Froggy finds out his mother is pregnant and he wants a baby brother. His mother gives birth to a baby girl and Froggy doesn't know what do to with her. By the end of the story Froggy and Polly are playing well together.

Curricular Use:read aloud

Social: Inclusion of a new brother or sister

Literary Elements: humor, moral

Text & Pictures:The pictures and the text work well together in this book.
Dolly
Mar 17, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2010
Froggy is eagerly anticipating the arrival of his baby brother, so he's disappointed when Mom and Dad come home with a baby sister. He doesn't know what to do with her when she's so little, but as her pollywog tail recedes and her legs grow in, she becomes more fun to play with. The repetition from other stories is familiar and reassuring and the onomatopoeia, as always in the Froggy stories, is fun to read aloud.
Julie Forkner
Feb 22, 2011 Julie Forkner rated it really liked it
Froggy waits & waits to be able to play with his baby sister, & when she's finally big enough, he's allowed to take her out all by himself. He teaches her how to catch flies, changes her diaper, & later, she won't go to sleep without him holding her. My 6-year-old loves it. He's read it about 10 times this month. Sweet book about being an older sibling, but it may set older siblings hopes a little high when it comes to boundaries.
Carin Paige
Dec 02, 2013 Carin Paige rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-problems
Froggy is excited because his parents are having a new baby, but his excitement quickly turns to disappointment when he finds out he'll be having a new baby sister, not the little brother he was hoping for. Froggy has to cope with learning how to play with his new sister, and to be the best big brother his parents knew he could be.

RL.1.4 SL.1.4
Patricia
Jan 01, 2012 Patricia rated it liked it
Shelves: children-picture
James Mead
This book was used in our science class and reviews the life cycle of "humans" through frogs and it reviews the basic needs of a baby. But it also delves into froggy's emotions which made it more interesting and some children can relate if they experienced similar feelings with a younger sibling.
Michelle Higgins
Apr 12, 2012 Michelle Higgins rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Froggy's Baby Sister is a great book for making connections. This book is also good for building community. After reading the book you can have students share about their siblings. Primary students really enjoy the Froggy series.
Michelle Carter
May 01, 2010 Michelle Carter rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book when a student has a new addition to the family. Also great to talk about the lifecycle of a frog because mom tells Froggy he can help with his baby sister when she loses her tail and her legs grow in.
Rebekah
Nov 19, 2008 Rebekah added it
Shelves: read2008, read2013
This was my first Froggy book. My Grandma Robbins bought it for me. I have made my parents read it to me a million times. I laugh when Froggy falls down and when the baby's diaper falls onto the floor.
Ellenjsmellen
Jan 29, 2008 Ellenjsmellen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-lit
I got this book for my son when I was pregnant with my daughter and I didn't know what we were having. My husband thought I cheated and found out what we were having behind his back!
Samantha
Dec 18, 2011 Samantha rated it liked it
Recommended to Samantha by: Alexandria King
This was a cute book. I found that I wasn't completely annoyed by Froggy, only slightly. His sister is so cute!! Once Froggy got used to her, things weren't so bad =)
Breana Vining
Feb 11, 2010 Breana Vining rated it really liked it
This is a good book to read for students who may be expecting a new sibling. It shows how there may be changes in the household, but each child is loved all the same!
Tricia
viv's favorite froggy book. froggy's mom has a baby and he comes to terms with it...once she is walking.
Julie
Mar 06, 2013 Julie rated it it was ok
This is an excellent book for children who are expecting a new baby in the family. I really enjoyed it.
  • Flora's Very Windy Day
  • The Grumpy Morning
  • Rabbit's Gift
  • Mini Mia and Her Darling Uncle
  • McDuff Comes Home
  • Henry and Mudge and the Wild Wind (Henry and Mudge, #12)
  • I'm a Big Sister
  • Polar: The Titanic Bear
  • Bat Loves the Night: Read and Wonder
  • Shampoodle
  • Biscuit and the Baby
  • Where the Forest Meets the Sea
  • Bear with Me
Jonathan London is the author of several celebrated children's books. His commitment to honoring the wonders of the natural world has been lauded by readers and critics alike. He is the author of more than 70 children's books, many of which are about nature. He's also the author of the popular Froggy series. He lives in Graton, California with his wife and two sons.
More about Jonathan London...

Froggy (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Froggy Gets Dressed