Froggy's Baby Sister

Froggy's Baby Sister (Froggy)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  215 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Froggy's parents are expecting a new baby, and Froggy is hoping for a brother. So when his parents introduce him to Pollywogilina, his new baby sister, Froggy is disappointed. Not only is she a girl, but Polly is too little to do anything! Froggy isn't even allowed to take care of her until her tail falls off. Waiting is hard, but just when he's ready to give up, Polly's l...more
Published September 8th 2005 by Puffin (first published 2003)

Mariah
Amusing when Polly,s diaper fell off and froggy got a red face when froggy jumped off the swing into the water.
Sheeba Virani
Every family faces the situation of a new family member and young children sometimes have a hard time coping with the situation. This book is great to read when some child in the class is about to become a big brother or sister. It helps them understand that now they are no longer the baby of the family and have to play their part in helping mom and dad care for the baby. But mom and dad will always love them no matter what!

Extension
Ask children what preparations their family is making to welcom...more
Judy
Kids and I enjoy reading about Froggy's adventures! This would be a great read for young children who are awaiting a new baby brother or sister!
Linzi Wilkinson
Genre: Picture book

Reading Level: grade K-3

Topics & Themes: Froggy finds out his mother is pregnant and he wants a baby brother. His mother gives birth to a baby girl and Froggy doesn't know what do to with her. By the end of the story Froggy and Polly are playing well together.

Curricular Use:read aloud

Social: Inclusion of a new brother or sister

Literary Elements: humor, moral

Text & Pictures:The pictures and the text work well together in this book.
Dolly
Mar 17, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2010, childrens
Froggy is eagerly anticipating the arrival of his baby brother, so he's disappointed when Mom and Dad come home with a baby sister. He doesn't know what to do with her when she's so little, but as her pollywog tail recedes and her legs grow in, she becomes more fun to play with. The repetition from other stories is familiar and reassuring and the onomatopoeia, as always in the Froggy stories, is fun to read aloud.
Julie Forkner
Froggy waits & waits to be able to play with his baby sister, & when she's finally big enough, he's allowed to take her out all by himself. He teaches her how to catch flies, changes her diaper, & later, she won't go to sleep without him holding her. My 6-year-old loves it. He's read it about 10 times this month. Sweet book about being an older sibling, but it may set older siblings hopes a little high when it comes to boundaries.
Carin
Froggy is excited because his parents are having a new baby, but his excitement quickly turns to disappointment when he finds out he'll be having a new baby sister, not the little brother he was hoping for. Froggy has to cope with learning how to play with his new sister, and to be the best big brother his parents knew he could be.

RL.1.4 SL.1.4
Patricia
James Mead
This book was used in our science class and reviews the life cycle of "humans" through frogs and it reviews the basic needs of a baby. But it also delves into froggy's emotions which made it more interesting and some children can relate if they experienced similar feelings with a younger sibling.
Katelyn Warner
* Fiction
* Funny
* Individual reading book
* New siblings
* Froggy is excited to have a new sibling, but then realizes that babies can’t “do anything fun” because they are too little and, in his baby sister’s case, doesn’t have legs because she’s still a tadpole.
Michelle Higgins
Froggy's Baby Sister is a great book for making connections. This book is also good for building community. After reading the book you can have students share about their siblings. Primary students really enjoy the Froggy series.
Michelle Carter
Wonderful book when a student has a new addition to the family. Also great to talk about the lifecycle of a frog because mom tells Froggy he can help with his baby sister when she loses her tail and her legs grow in.
Rebekah
Nov 19, 2008 Rebekah added it
Shelves: read2008, read2013
This was my first Froggy book. My Grandma Robbins bought it for me. I have made my parents read it to me a million times. I laugh when Froggy falls down and when the baby's diaper falls onto the floor.
Ellenjsmellen
I got this book for my son when I was pregnant with my daughter and I didn't know what we were having. My husband thought I cheated and found out what we were having behind his back!
Samantha
Dec 18, 2011 Samantha rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Samantha by: Alexandria King
This was a cute book. I found that I wasn't completely annoyed by Froggy, only slightly. His sister is so cute!! Once Froggy got used to her, things weren't so bad =)
Breana Vining
This is a good book to read for students who may be expecting a new sibling. It shows how there may be changes in the household, but each child is loved all the same!
Bethany
From Ms. Kim

Cute book on how to deal with a new family member. Can use to bring better understanding about life in family.
Adam
I love the way Katherine imitates the baby frog calling his sister, "Fwo...Fwo...Fwo...Fwwwoooggyy!"
Tricia
viv's favorite froggy book. froggy's mom has a baby and he comes to terms with it...once she is walking.
Julie
This is an excellent book for children who are expecting a new baby in the family. I really enjoyed it.
Jess
A nice book to share with kids who are about to become a big brother or sister.
Alexandria
In this book Froggy wants a baby brother, but he gets a baby sister instead.
Meg McGregor
A really sweet way to introduce a new sibling to the family.
Joy
Frrrooggyy!

Even Froggy's new baby sister is calling for him.
Truman Green
Perfect book for young boys having a younger sister
Lisa
Great book for kids who going to have a younger sibling.
Megan Knippenberg
So cute! Froggy turns out to be a great big brother.
Darlene Williams
Just a sweet story of brothers and sisters
Marc
A current favorite of the kids.
  • Thump, Quack, Moo: A Whacky Adventure
  • Flora's Very Windy Day
  • Henry and Mudge and the Wild Wind (Henry and Mudge, #12)
  • Mini Mia and Her Darling Uncle
  • Catalina Magdalena Hoopensteiner Wallendiner Hogan Logan Bogan Was Her Name
  • The Hiccupotamus
  • Letting Swift River Go
  • Rabbit's Gift
  • Animal Strike at the Zoo. It's True!
  • Polar The Titanic Bear
  • Winter Days in the Big Woods
  • Clifford's First Autumn
  • Biscuit and the Baby
  • The Quilt Story
Jonathan London is the author of several celebrated children's books. His commitment to honoring the wonders of the natural world has been lauded by readers and critics alike. He is the author of more than 70 children's books, many of which are about nature. He's also the author of the popular Froggy series. He lives in Graton, California with his wife and two sons.
More about Jonathan London...
Froggy Gets Dressed Froggy Goes to School Froggy Learns to Swim Froggy's First Kiss Froggy's Sleepover