Start by marking “Nudge (Library Edition): Awakening Each Other to the God Who's Already There” as Want to Read:
Nudge (Library Edition): Awakening Each Other to the God Who's Already There

Nudge (Library Edition): Awakening Each Other to the God Who's Already There

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Pay attention. Brace yourself. This audio book is set to revolutionize your understanding of evangelism. That revolution stands to affect not just your everyday habits, including encounters you have with other people, but the very roots of your faith, the range of your mission, and the limits of your freedom. In the tradition of The Gospel According to Starbucks, this grou ...more
Audio CD
Published July 1st 2011 by Oasis Audio (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Nudge (Library Edition), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nudge (Library Edition)

Becky
Dr. Sweet is a true wordsmith and this determines who does and does not enjoy his reading. I was at first afraid to read "Nudge" as the preface discussed the importance of Evangelism. I get chills just thinking about Evangelism, probably because I equate it to the early 1980s and old ladies passing out tracts at restaurants. However, Sweet brilliantly draws the reader into true desire for evangelism with the understanding that God is out there, at work, inviting his loved ones to join Him. Sweet ...more
Clockstein Lockstein
Nudge by Leonard Sweet is an extraordinarily intelligent and completely out-of-the-box thinking about evangelism. Sweet, a well known author and pastor, wants readers to awaken to the world of nudges, the ones we receive from God and others and the ones we can give to others to teach them about God. Evangelism has acquired a bad name occasionally because it often becomes one person out-talking the other and trying to force ideas down their throat. Nudge completely turns traditional evangelism on ...more
Jeff Bjorgan
Although Sweet is notoriously scattered (I purchased the book based off of John Stackhouse's unique critique-including recommendation published in the book, where he states, "It sometimes, and maddeningly, oversimplifies and underexplains."), I really enjoyed reading "Nudge". The basic premise of evangelism-as-paying-attention (nudging people towards what God is up to) may sound at first a bit fluffy and, to some, a cop-out of the hard work of "real kingdom work" (like preaching to your neighbou ...more
Markus
It wasn't quite the book I was hoping for. I wanted something practical for encouraging people toward Jesus and how to do that.

What I got was far more theoretical. I wasn't sure if the author was attributing everything that ever happened as a sign from God, cheapening the real thing. Also if felt rather dangerous and the topic of false signs was barely acknowledged. I know scriptures of the enemy disguised as an angel of light that should be mentioned.

I really like the concept of "nudging" othe
Mar
The book had potential, but it wasn't fulfilled for me. Sweet explores how people need to get in tune with their five senses in order to be in tune with God and His working in the world, and in order to "Nudge" others in the direction of recognising God exists and is present and we can "sense" Him if we're paying attention.

However, the writing style and Sweet's attempts to be "witty" and metaphorical detracted from his points for me.
Wyndy
Nudge is about using your instincts to evangelize. Instead of pushing hard learn to recognize the signs of Jesus being everywhere and in everyone. Use those signs to make people aware that they already have Jesus, they just need to acknowledge it. I found the book very difficult to read, I'm not sure, but I think the construction of the sentences were off. At first I thought perhaps it was written as a textbook but since reading it again, I believe it's the use of incomplete language. The book i ...more
Brad Henderson
Another excellent book from maverick theologian, historian and futurist Leonard Sweet. This one takes evangelism into the postmodern era by reminding us that it is about awakening others to a reality already in their midst, if not in their being. Contrasted with the traditional/conventional model of evangelism being about something the we have to impose on others from the outside, this approach is much more organic, relational and true to the embodiment of Jesus.
Steve
I really wanted to like this book. Honestly. The author's heart is in the right place, and it started off well. About halfway through, I realized I don't have any idea what he's talking about, and I cut my losses. Maybe I'm just too literal a person to get his use of metaphors and odd ethereal concepts, but I couldn't get a hold of this book. Nudge it back on the shelf in the bookstore.
Scott
Sweet nails the essence of what it looks like to read the signs of the spirit around us. Excellent, practical book on living life with full attention and fully aware of Gods presence in our day to day lives and how that affects our ability to share God with others...
Tamra LeValley
One of the best and easy to understand book that helps a person "nudge" others without overstepping any invisible lines that we all have. It not only helps one understand what a church today needs but gives you specified "instructions" or "steps" to help you proceed.
David Mullens
I enjoyed this book, especially the discussion on attention and being fully present. I know some will take issue with some of the book, but I believe Sweet is on the right track culturally. God is all around us...we need to wake up to his presence.
Chad
Leonard Sweet did it again. He helped me to revive an old way of thinking that was dying and breathe new life into it. Len made a way for all of us to know we can still be the gospel, even with all our shortcomings.
Jackie Hayter
It starts of well, but goes on too long. He makes excellent points, and there are some great quotable lines.
Cresanna Kahrl
Thought-provoking. More philosophical than practical. Well-written, but lacking application.
Margaret
Jul 24, 2010 Margaret marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: FIRST
*Thanks to TBBMedia for providing a copy for review through FIRST Wild Card Tours.*
Cheryl
I'm only on chapter two, but thus far, I *highly* recommend this book!
Robbie Pruitt
This is a useful resource to think more deeply about evangelism.
Abbie Watters
Afflicted with a preacher's penchant for repeating himself.
L
I picked up wrong Nudge Book for Book Club
Nancy
loved this book!
Ilsun
쫌 괜찮았음..
Michael Young
Michael Young marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Tanya Hastings
Tanya Hastings marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
  • Revise Us Again: Living from a Renewed Christian Script
  • Ancient-Future Faith: Rethinking Evangelicalism for a Postmodern World
  • More Than Ordinary: Enjoying Life with God
  • The Jesus Creed: Loving God, Loving Others
  • The Dale Carnegie Leadership Mastery Course: How To Challenge Yourself and Others To Greatness
  • Jesus: The Only Way to God: Must You Hear the Gospel to Be Saved?
  • Speaking of Jesus: The Art of Not-Evangelism
  • Philosophy for Understanding Theology
  • Everything: What You Give and What You Gain to Become Like Jesus
  • The Meeting of the Waters: 7 Global Currents That Will Propel the Future Church
  • Food and Faith: A Theology of Eating
Leonard I. Sweet is an author, preacher, scholar, and ordained United Methodist clergyman currently serving as the E. Stanley Jones Professor of Evangelism at Drew Theological School, in Madison, New Jersey; and a Visiting Distinguished Professor at George Fox University in Portland, Oregon.
More about Leonard Sweet...
Jesus Manifesto The Gospel According to Starbucks: Living with a Grande Passion Jesus: A Theography Soultsunami: Sink or Swim in New Millennium Culture I Am a Follower: The Way, Truth, and Life of Following Jesus