Start by marking “A Cousin's Promise (Library Edition)” as Want to Read:
A Cousin's Promise (Library Edition)

A Cousin's Promise (Indiana Cousins #1)

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,098 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
Love is a promise - for better or worse. When a group of eight cousins and friends leaves their Indiana Amish community for a weekend getaway, a horrific accident brings them home forever changed. Permanently disabled by the accident, Wayne Lambright struggles to take care of himself. He can’t imagine being able to be the kind of husband his fiancée, Loraine Miller, needs. ...more
Audio CD
Published September 1st 2010 by Oasis Audio (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Cousin's Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cousin's Promise

Darlene
Dec 03, 2009 Darlene rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read lots of Amish books and I have to say this is the worst I have ever read. The story line and dialogue was so juvenile. It was basically two people bickering about one issue for the entire book - "I want to marry you", "No, I am only half a man!" etc etc. Save your money!!!
Jodie
I LOVE to read Amish books and have read nearly all of Wanda Brunstetter's books. I enjoy the simpler life. Sometimes I wish I could slow my life down a little more, which is probably why I enjoy reading Amish books so much. I love how they are all about their religion, family, working with their hands, and community support. If only the rest of the world was like them, in regards to their community support, imagine how much better we would all get along!

The first in the Indiana Cousins series,
Janna
Apr 17, 2009 Janna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read a few books by Wanda Brunstetter and I have come to a conclusion. Wanda has an amazing following of readers that love her books and her knowledge of the Amish lifestyle and enjoy delving into that simpler side of life that so many of us just don't have. She has simple storylines that are keep your interest and are easy to follow. The only thing that gives me reason to pause is that her style is so simplistic that I feel like she tells me everything I need to know and leaves no room f ...more
Debbiedowner
My mother always told me if you have nothing good to say, don't say anything. But since Wanda Brunstetter is an established author with about 1 million books sold, I think I can say that this is perhaps not only the worst Amish fiction, but the worst fiction I've ever read. I'm a big fan of Amish Romance, and this novel simply was so poorly written that I felt insulted. There is nothing positive I can say about this book at all. Nothing. I gave it two stars just to be nice.
April
Mar 27, 2009 April rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've read other books by this author - and I think this is my last. The story line is lame and it really comes across as being written by a young person. Shallow characters and shallow story line.
Rhonda
In Indiana, a car accident leaves Wayne Lambright wheelchair bound. Though he suffers some self-pity and bouts of feeling sorry for his plight, his biggest concern is he deems he is no longer worthy of the love of his fiancee Loraine Miller. Instead he wants her to live a happy life and not have to waste her youth caring for a cripple. Loraine wants to help her fiance, but cannot grasp the deep emotional issues confronting her disabled beau especially since he must adapt from being a healthy do ...more
Deborah
Jun 26, 2013 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loraine Miller promised Wayne Lambright that she would love him forever, and agrees to be his bride. But when Loraine, and 7 other friends and cousins are involved in a fatal accident, those that remain face numerous obstacles. Wayne wakes up to find himself crippled, and Loraine is there by his side supporting him as he deals with his loss. But Wayne feels like half a man, and tells Loraine that the wedding is off.

Then Jake Beechy, Loraine's old boyfriend, comes back to town. Wayne does what he
Barbpie
Feb 14, 2015 Barbpie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I read this in preparation for a romance book talk. I wanted to read at least one "Amish" romance. But I didn't like it much as there weren't any fast cars or wild parties in it. There were only about three kisses and only one moan. One highlight though, from "About the Author" at the end of A Cousin's Promise: "In her spare time, Wanda enjoys photography, ventriloquism, gardening. . . . "
Melody
The story in this book was really sweet. (view spoiler) The plot twits kept me wanting to know what would come next.

However, the characters weren't developed as much as they could have. I felt I didn't know to characters too well, even at the end of the book. All the names were also confusing in the beginning, but I eventually got them figured out.

I'm looking forward to reading the nex
Apr 08, 2009 Laura rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction
Poor writing, contrived plot, unbelievable characters. The only reason I picked it up is because it's set in my hometown, but even that wasn't enough to save it.
Sara
Aug 07, 2012 Sara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just couldn't get into this book. The characters were flat and the dialogue was silly. I guess I prefer Beverly Lewis' books if I'm going to read Amish fiction.
Heather
Jun 05, 2012 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this book, but the simplistic writing didn't give enough depth to the characters or story to make it believable.
Lisa
Jan 09, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book! It is an Amish story, but different then the usual. I got burnt out on Amish fiction, but this is a good read!
Sheila
May 05, 2012 Sheila rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Quite possibly the worst novel I've ever read. In fact, it's the first time I ever found myself DNF.
Lacey
Jul 27, 2010 Lacey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I rarely start a book and don't finish it but this one didn't do it for me!
Kiara Loverre
Apr 13, 2013 Kiara Loverre rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lousy writing, boring. Unbelieveable characters. Not a good read,
Shari Larsen
Oct 16, 2012 Shari Larsen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When a group of eight cousins and friends leave their Indiana Amish community for a weekend trip to Hershey, Pennsylvania, a horrific accident leaves them with their lives forever changed.

Wayne Lambright is permanently disabled from the accident. He does not believe he can be the kind of husband his fiancee, Loraine Miller needs. He is determined to sacrifice his happiness to give her a better life and breaks their engagement.

Loraine refuses to believe that Wayne does not love her anymore. But w
Paula-O
Aug 25, 2012 Paula-O rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Cousin's Promise by Wanda Brunstetter
Indiana Cousins series book #1

"Love ia a Promise for Better or Worse"

A group of eight cousins and friends choose to take a trip together never realizing it will change many lives for all time....

An accident because of one moment of carelessness by the driver leads to a collision with a semitruck and many are hurt.

mainly this book is about Wayne and his fiancee, Loraine. Wayne Lambright is permanently disabled in the accident and chooses to give up the life
Hillary roberts
Jan 18, 2016 Hillary roberts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a cousinf promiseFrom Goodreads:Willkumm to the Amish country, where a tragic accident and an old beau complicate the lives of two young lovers.

My Review: A friend lent me this book. I normally would not pick up Amish Fiction but I have to say I am glad I did. This book is the first book in a trilogy. It starts with a car accident and goes on to explore what happens when a normally abled bodied person become disabled.

I liked this aspect of the book. It showed a realistic grieving process while at the same time
Karina Barber
Apr 17, 2015 Karina Barber rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately the writing in this book lacked somehow. The story idea itself has great potential, but the character development was unconvincing, and the writing style just very poor. The author is constantly telling us how her characters feel, and the dialogue is extremely unreal. Normally I don't mind reading something "light," easy storyline, somewhat predictable ending, but with enough interest to keep me wanting to know how the characters get to the end..... This was just too much.
Sarahbeth
Jun 17, 2015 Sarahbeth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was awful. The whole book is just a bunch of VERY indecisive people changing their minds every two seconds. Everyone in the book talked to themselves all the time, and pretty much all the dialogue was seriously unrealistic. There were so many accidents and people hurt, and most of them were completely unnecessary. Honestly, I am embarrassed to say I have read this.
Maleah
Jun 19, 2015 Maleah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a bit of a hard read so I've borrowed the audiobook. I've found it more entertaining. I think the main female character is a bit in denial. I'll speak in vague term to voice my opinion so there's only minor spoilers. Lol!
I think in real life this book would've end differently. Having read the whole series this one makes a lot more sense but as the first book of three it was the one that made me the angriest. In a lot of ways this book lets Wayne get away with behavior that, while I unders
Mayda
Jan 31, 2013 Mayda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, amish, audio
A weekend of fun for eight Amish cousins and friends takes a tragic turn when a traffic accident injures and disables some of the occupants of the van. Some don’t survive, and the ones that do must overcome mental as well as physical adversities. This inspirational tale is slow moving and predicable. Some of the characters are clichéd and trite in their portrayal. While there is nothing offensive in this Amish story, there is nothing outstanding in it, either. Perhaps if it were more succinct an ...more
Michelle Robinson
We never get to see any relationship develop between the two love interests due to the fact that the hero of our novel spends the whole novel avoiding and pushing away the heroine. It is a significant that even though I only read this book about a week ago, I cannot remember the name of a single charachter in this book.

This author seems to specialize in tales filled with sadness and woe. Her other specialty seems to be creating supposed novels that can not stand alone. You really need to read th
Teresa Locklear
I don't think I've ever read a Wanda Brunstetter book that I didn't like. I really liked the characters in this book. The story that was written regarding Wayne and Loraine really touched my heart. Wayne suffered a horrible accident and as the reader I could really understand what his thoughts were. I can't imagine how I'd deal with the situation, but I really liked how Wanda showed several reactions throughout this story. She really showed his struggle in dealing with his current situation and ...more
Rena
Mar 06, 2010 Rena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
I loved this book! It was a quick read and I look forward to reading the 2nd and 3rd books in the series. I feel the author does a good job portraying the Amish, and I enjoyed the short summary of Indiana Amish at the end. I also think the recipes at the end are a good touch. I also think she does a good job portraying the Amish as "real people" with problems every one can relate to, instead of some sub-group of Americans that keep to themselves and don't have issues to deal with like the rest o ...more
Dana
Mar 24, 2016 Dana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I chose this because a few friends have said they like Amish romances. Alas, not my cup of tea.
Lisa
Apr 19, 2014 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A staff pick at the library, so I read it. Not something I'd feel the need to suggest to others I'm afraid.
Barb
Mar 28, 2010 Barb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy reading stories about the Amish and the Mennonites. Sometimes their life seems so appealing -- simple and plain. But they also have to work very hard without many of the conveniences that we are used to. This particular story was about Wayne and Lorraine, a young, courting couple who are engaged to be married. Wayne loses his leg in an accident and the story tells about the trials and tribulations and how Wayne wonders weather he can be a good husband to Lorraine. I have enjoyed s ...more
Sally
As Amish-themed novels go, this wasn't one of the better ones. The women in it were appalling and I didn't have any sympathy for the lead female, Loraine. The book really didn't go in depth into Wayne's emotions either, which is a shame.

One peeve is that the writer's use of the "Deutsch" language. Whenever she had a character use a non-English word, the other character used the English translation of the word in their response. A glossary at the beginning or the end of the book would have been
Clean Fiction: Octoebr 2013 series read 2 6 Sep 16, 2013 09:47AM
  • The Hope of Refuge
  • Rebecca's Promise (Adams County #1)
  • Winter's Awakening (Seasons of Sugarcreek, #1)
  • Plain Pursuit (Daughters of the Promise, #2)
  • Abigail's New Hope (Wayne County, #1)
  • Sarah's Garden (Patch of Heaven, #1)
  • A Man of His Word (Hearts of Middlefield, #1)
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • Anna's Return (Pleasant Valley, #3)
  • Beside Still Waters (The Big Sky Series, #1)
A nationally recognized authority on the Amish community, Wanda E. Brunstetter has sold more than seven million copies of her fiction and nonfiction books. Wanda enjoys an uncommon kinship with the Amish and continues to visit their communities throughout the country. Her books have won numerous awards and topped several bestselling charts.
More about Wanda E. Brunstetter...

Indiana Cousins (3 books)
  • A Cousin's Prayer (Indiana Cousins, #2)
  • A Cousin's Challenge (Indiana Cousins, #3)

“Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. PSALM 37:4” 1 likes
“John 11:43–44: “And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice,Lazarus, come forth. And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go.” 0 likes