Start by marking “A Train Goes Clickety-Clack” as Want to Read:
A Train Goes Clickety-Clack

A Train Goes Clickety-Clack

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Trains are fast. Trains are sleek. Trains make wonderful sounds as the wheels clatter, boilers hiss, and couplings clang. This playful picture book captures the excitement of trains through evocative language and vibrant illustrations. A little boy and his family are on a special train ride that can't be missed!

A Children's Book-of-the-Month Club Selection
Published September 4th 2007 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about A Train Goes Clickety-Clack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Train Goes Clickety-Clack

K
Okay, it sucks that all the train personnel are men, except for a stewardess. Why can't I find a train book featuring trains for toddlers with female trains or women conductors or engineers? Trains are big with toddlers. Anyway. It did have babywearing in the book on multiple pages, and there were women in the book (as passengers).
Karen
My five-year-old son picked out this book from the library this week. This book has a red spine and he wanted to check out red books.

Because of how this book is illustrated, I thought the all the action was taking place on a model train table. That would have improved this not very exciting story.

Asho
My almost-two-year old enjoyed this train book. The primary colors are appealing, and the train clearly looks like a train (which is important for a toddler who doesn't really grasp more abstract illustrations). The rhythm doesn't always flow perfectly for me when I am reading it out loud, but the sound effects seemed to please my son. We discovered that there is a little yellow bird somewhere on every page, so looking for that bird as we read is a fun side game.
Meagan Bennett
My son loves this book so I had to give it at least 4 stars. I love the onomatopoeia in it, but twice the rhyming seemed forced...including the last page.
Angela Chadbourne
Another good book for a baby storytime with a train theme. Deals with opposites Although the ending is a bit sudden.
Damera Blincoe
Used this book for transportation storytime.
Elizabeth
I was excited to find this one at the library because A Truck Goes Rattley Bumpa is one of Santi's all-time favorites, and the one he continues to recite every. single. time. we go over a bump on the road, enter a parking lot, cross railroad tracks, etc. But this one? Not as good for either of us, even though it involves ZOMG TRAINS.
Lindsay
I liked the mix of modern and vintage trains used in this story. Simple rhyming text with lots of great sounds and bright illustrations make this a great choice for toddlers.
Samantha
A rhyming read aloud that includes train-specific vocabulary and vibrant gouache illustrations to showcase the different features of trains.

All of the sound words make this a fun read that informs. Overall, a great introductory picture book about trains that incites interest in the subject.
Misty D
This is a wonderful book of train opposites. Some trains go fast and others go slow. Children enjoy learning differences and what better way than a book about trains. I really think with brilliant colors in the illustrations this book is sure to have any child interested.
Sha-Quita Jordan
I really enjoyed reading this book. The rhyming text describe the sounds of, and uses for, different kinds of trains. I recommend this book because it is easy-to-read and the illustrations are in bright colors.
Charity
My 2 year old loved this book since about 16 months old or so and still really enjoys reading it. It is my favorite train book for the fact that it has bright colors and fun sounds for you to read along with the story.
If you have a little boy - you will love this book. It is perfect - lot's of pictures of trains, not too many words, and onomatopoeia (yep - I looked that one up for spelling accuracy) for making sound effects!
Vicki
A simple rhyming train book. I used this with an "On the Move" story time for preschoolers-kids love making train noises!
jacky
About the noises of the train. The pictures tell a story, but not so much the words.
Ratforcekids
This book is a great read-aloud story book complete with all the train noises.
Dee
One to One review. Too simple. Better for the very young
Andrea
Great to read aloud! Great vocab.
Alisa
Many kinds of trains are in this book.
Molly
Sandra
Sandra added it
Aug 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jonathan London is the author of several celebrated children's books. His commitment to honoring the wonders of the natural world has been lauded by readers and critics alike. He is the author of more than 70 children's books, many of which are about nature. He's also the author of the popular Froggy series. He lives in Graton, California with his wife and two sons.
More about Jonathan London...
Froggy Gets Dressed Froggy Goes to School Froggy Learns to Swim Froggy Goes to Bed Froggy's First Kiss