Start by marking “Black Water: The Anthology Of Fantastic Literature” as Want to Read:
Black Water: The Anthology Of Fantastic Literature

Black Water: The Anthology Of Fantastic Literature

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  293 ratings  ·  17 reviews
This huge anthology offers a kaleidoscope of brilliant writing from the Magi of the imagination. Alberto Manguel has selected 72 fantastic tales from life on the edge of the twilight zone, with stories from Marguerite Yourcenar, Herman Hesse, Italo Calvino, Vladimir Nabokov, and many, many more. This is a collection of irresistible masterpieces, many of which have never be ...more
Published by Lester & Orpen Dennys

To ask other readers questions about Black Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Water

Falkor
Aug 01, 2007 Falkor rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of fantasy and horror
This superb collection of fantasy stories includes a few famous, widely anthologized classics such as “The Monkey’s Paw,” but mostly offers up choice specimens of unjustly neglected works from both major and lesser known authors. The stories tend toward dark fantasy, with some that could be considered outright horror—Julio Cortazar’s “House Taken Over” is five pages of super concentrated terror that will leave readers jumping at every noise. A common theme unifying this diverse group of stories ...more
Mike
So enjoyable that I regret that I've come to the end. I really recommend it if you can find a copy.
Jeanne

I highly recommend this collection for fans of fantastic literature or of short stories in general. You will love most, hate some and if you are like me, there will be a few you just don't even understand (what was that bus scene about in "Visitor From Down Under"??). Whether you take your time working your way through this massive collection as I did (read over 20 years) or read all 967 pages in one sitting - it is worth the time.

I was a little sad to finish this book after all the years we ha
Gary Parish
A massive collection of short stories dealing with the supernatural and the fantastic, Manguel does a superb job of editing and selecting the pieces in this anthology. Some are humorous, some are darkly sinister, some confuse you and some appeal to your sense of justice or right & wrong. I read this cover-to-cover on and off over the course of a year and it always entertained me to no end, highly recommended!
blushenka
This book is FANTASTIC. Heh. It's a great collection of tales, kudos to the editor for picking them so well. Some of them I knew from before, but not many. I have not found a single story in this collection that I did not enjoy and some of them were quite outstanding.
Among the ones I found outstanding: Poe's The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar, Max Beerbohm's Enoch Soames, Dickens' The Signalman, Saki's Laura, David Garnett's Lady Into Fox, Marguerite Yourcenar's How Wang-Fo was Saved, Isak Di
flannery
So far, SO incredible! Alberto Manguel wrote one of my favorite reference books, "A Dictionary of Imaginary Places," and this is as imaginative, as literate, as carefully considered a collection as any I have ever, ever read, each piece lovingly introduced by the editor with all the necessary biography to put each piece in context and also bridge time & place seamlessly... from Jean Cocteau to Jules Verne to Borges and O. Henry with not a page out of place... highly recommended, one of the b ...more
Martin Cosby
I read this anthology many years ago, and it made a big impression upon me. Many of the stories are deep, literary examples of fiction, whereas I had been more used to "horror" collections. A thoroughly engrossing read through different kinds of writing, never less than excellent, I have re-read it many times ... and am about to once more. Highly recommended.
Mar 07, 2013 Sarah marked it as to-re-read-sometime-soon  ·  review of another edition
This generous anthology is jam-packed with fascinating, instructive work and was my introduction to many magical writers beyond the traditional English-speaking fare. Delighted to discover that a second volume was published back in 1990 - heading to pick up a copy now...
Tiffany
Memory suggests I read this as a kid by the hall light when I couldn't sleep, and that I was too creeped out to close my eyes. But by 1984 I was living in an off-campus apartment, paying my own bills. This book does that to you--makes you feel all small and helpless.
Jacob
My copy has the same ISBN, but the cover is a detail from George Tooker's awesome The Subway. This would be a perfect bedtime reader if not for its bulk.
Bill Shears
Read through it ever decade-and-a-half or so. A fantastic collection of fantastic short stories from around the world.
Freder
Manguel stays well away from the sensational, and goes for mood and depth.
John
brings back the joy and wonder of reading. fantastic anthology of timeless short stories. looking forward to digging into the second collection. nice short blurbs by alberto manguel, a reader's reader if ever there was one, introduces each story.
Tessa
This is a great collection! There are some big names and a lot of South American authors I have never heard of. The cover art rules. Some of the themes can get old if you read them all at once, so it is good to space things out. My favorite story was actually the first one, by Julio Cortazar, but the rest of the book wasn't disappointing. Just not as great.
Elizabeth
Superb. Just keep dipping in and out and you will continually find yourself covered in a viscous substance, the nature of which you can neither fully discern, nor fully wash off.....
Neven
A wonderful collection—uneven as they usually are, but the high notes are unforgettable. Hunt it down if you like hard-to-classify, weird fiction.
Fishsanwitt
Jan 26, 2009 Fishsanwitt marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: catalogued
stamped
Stef
Stef marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Annemie
Annemie marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Heikki
Heikki is currently reading it
Jul 02, 2015
Nisreen
Nisreen marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Zachary Salmon
Zachary Salmon marked it as to-read
Louise
Louise is currently reading it
Addicted to Books
Addicted to Books marked it as to-read
ThursdayKnight
ThursdayKnight marked it as to-read
Carrie
Carrie is currently reading it
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
  • Fancies and Goodnights
  • Tales of Hoffmann
  • Great Tales of Terror and the Supernatural
  • Fantastic Tales: Visionary and Everyday
  • The Return
  • Nine Hundred Grandmothers
  • American Fantastic Tales: Terror and the Uncanny from the 1940's Until Now
  • The Museum of Eterna's Novel (The First Good Novel)
  • Trampoline: An Anthology
  • The Mammoth Book of 20th Century Ghost Stories
  • The Dark Domain
  • Interfictions: An Anthology of Interstitial Writing
  • Store of the Worlds: The Stories of Robert Sheckley
Alberto Manguel (born 1948 in Buenos Aires) is an Argentine-born writer, translator, and editor. He is the author of numerous non-fiction books such as The Dictionary of Imaginary Places (co-written with Gianni Guadalupi in 1980) and A History of Reading (1996) The Library at Night (2007) and Homer's Iliad and Odyssey: A Biography (2008), and novels such as News From a Foreign Country Came (1991). ...more
More about Alberto Manguel...
A History of Reading The Library at Night The Dictionary of Imaginary Places: The Newly Updated and Expanded Classic A Reading Diary: A Passionate Reader's Reflections on a Year of Books A Reader on Reading