Start by marking “Little Bird” as Want to Read:
Little Bird

Little Bird

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  341 ratings  ·  92 reviews
A man drives his truck up to a cliff's edge. Unable to go any further, he opens the back door of his truck and a flock of birds flies out, but, as the man soon discovers, a small timid bird remains. Surprised and delighted, the man acts kindly towards the bird and an intimacy develops. After lunch, the man tries to show the bird that he should fly off and join his friends. ...more
Published March 20th 2012 by Enchanted Lion Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Little Bird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Bird

Tricia Douglas
A beautiful book written for children, but adults will definitely love it too. The story and illustrations are simple, but the premise behind the book is very deep. "Most of the time we don't notice the small things. But they are there to be discovered and over time become treasures." We don't need a lot of these simple things. One is just enough to change the world. I really loved this book and appreciate the theme and the deep thinking it left me with.
Arminzerella
Melissa
Hmmm. The illustrations are really fun, and I liked the character of the truck driver, totally taking everything in stride (why wouldn't you try to teach a bird to fly by example? Why wouldn't a bird eat a sandwich with his wings? Why wouldn't you be held up in flight by just one small avian friend?). However, the capital-I Inspirational text sometimes seemed like a voiceover from the wrong movie. Three stars without the words; 2 stars with the words.

NYT Best Illustrated 2012
Tanya W
Wonderful book with a wonderful message possibly missed by children... but they can be pretty astute. My 10 year old son seemed to recognize what a treasure this little book is before I did. : )
Donna
Life is magical. At times we are lucky enough to realize it.
This book is a ribbon to tie around our finger ... to remember to watch for the magic.
Scott Robins
I normally have a hard time buying into these kinds of profound, high-message type books, but this was just lovely.
Rebecca
may my heart always be open to little
birds who are the secrets of living

--From e.e. cummings, poem 53
Kayce
"Because little things are not made to be noticed. They are there to be discovered."
Teacher.
Wordless picture books usually aren’t my thing, so when I read that Little Bird was nearly wordless, I was skeptical that I would enjoy it. I figured it would be worth the read considering how many people are just in love with it. When I got the book, my first impression was of the small size of the book and the unassuming front cover featuring a big red delivery truck with an overall-ed man standing on the hood of the truck, looking up. The colors, font, and style of illustrations carry on ins ...more
Pamela ☼what?!? you want more gruel☼ Tee
I love whimsical, silly books. So LITTLE BIRD is perfect for me. It's the story of a man and some birds and it touches base with reality only at the beginning, which is fine with me and most small fry.

The artwork is great for little children. It's bold and colorful, with big slabs of blue sky, yellow ground, and red truck.

As for text, there isn't much. And in fact you could use this book as if it was WORDLESS.

**We talk about the story**

The story is deceptively simple. A man drives to a cliff at
Tasha
Winner of the 2011 Prix Sorcieres for illustration, the French Caldecott medal, this book is an impressive example of the magic of illustration and only a few select words. A man drives his red truck up to the edge of a cliff and opens the back, releasing several amazing birds. When he glances into the truck, he sees one bird left behind. The man tries to tell the bird where to head and that it should fly, but the bird just looks at him. The two sit together and the man shares his sandwich with ...more
Skoobdoog
This is an almost wordless book where the image carries the story and the interpretation of the text. The illustrations are made in mixed media and consist of mainly of full colour and unadorned backgrounds. This lends the book quiet, whimsical look that complements the original story. A white all around frame is used in all spreads with the text appearing in black at the bottom in the right half of the spread. A man drives his truck up to a cliff’s edge and there he opens the back door of his t ...more
Taymara Jagmohan
The little bird flew up to the mountain, and I couldn't find the nest it belonged to.

That- I guess, is where you'll need to fly.

Fly far from all you have been taught, and prepare to learn even more from the unexpected themes.

I couldn't find the book in which these words were written from.

The Little Bird was germane.

Love,
Taymara
Cierra Edwards
In this book, a man lets a group of birds out of the back of a truck he is driving. He thinks all the birds are all out but looks inside and sees one really small bird who is left. The bird is encouraged by the man to leave the truck and fly with the rest of the bird. The bird then goes and flies with the rest of the pack. Even though the story sounds super lame, the text within this book are incredibly inspirational. They talk about how it could just be an ordinary day but if you pay attention ...more
Steven Matview
This book is really cute! The text is sparse so a lot of focus is on the art, which is fine. The main character, a truck driver who is tasked with delivering a variety of birds, is such a chill guy.
Paula
"A man drives his truck up to a cliff's edge. Unable to go any further, he opens the back door of his truck and a flock of birds flies out, but, as the man soon discovers, a small timid bird remains. Surprised and delighted, the man acts kindly towards the bird and an intimacy develops. After lunch, the man tries to show the bird that he should fly off and join his friends. The man's comic attempt at flight deepens the encounter between these two very different creatures. Soon the bird flies of ...more
Caren
This just arrived in our library and I have fallen in love with it. Winner of the 2011 Prix Sorcieres (according to the jacket, the equivalent of the French Caldecott), the author is a poet, and this book is a testament to that. With such a few words, it says so much. I have no idea why a man in a truck would be releasing a flock of birds from its back doors, nor why one little bird should linger. The logic of it simply doesn't matter. The spare text is so beautiful, and, working with children a ...more
Stephanie Linton
This was a beautiful book with limited amount of text, but makes use of shapes and colors to convey a message to the reader. I think it also has a nice theme--that it is the little things that matter most in life. The text is not complex, but I think the theme is. The illustrations are what I enjoyed the most about this book. The drawings are simplistic, with clean lines and free of clutter. The simple lines resonate well with the theme of the story. The colors used are vivid and intense--strong ...more
Julia
breathtakingly beautiful! Simplicity unveils the most exquisite form of storytelling as art!! I loved it!!
Barbara
utterly breathtaking. everything i believe in unfurled across pages that belong in an art gallery.
Robyn
Feb 23, 2014 Robyn added it
Shelves: picture-books
New York Times Best Illustrated list, 2012
Maria Jones
completely inspirational
Jayna
Ages 3 and up

A man releases birds back into the wild, but one little bird refused to go. The man shows the little bird what to do and finally the bird decides to leave. After the bird leaves it catches up with the rest of the birds and decides to take all of the birds back and take the man on a flight with them.

This would be a fun story for a bird themed story time. A lot of the book is wordless so the children could make up what is going on in the story.
Kelsey
Age: 1st-3rd grade
Deep-thinker: Appreciating the little things

Another truly unique picture book emerges from across the seas, this time from Switzerland. A blend of wordless pictures with minimal text, the message is very strong that we should appreciate the little things. The words could accompany any set of pictures. However, Zullo pairs this message with an unlikely series of events that give this appreciation of small things a little more thought.
Sandy Brehl
This book could almost have been wordless, although the minimal text enhances it for older readers. The literal message both visually and from text) and the symbolic message are discussion provoking and can find different interpretations at different ages and life stages.
A strong reminder, especially in these times, that when we take time and effort on even the weakest among us, we make ourselves stronger than we even imagined possible.
KidsFiction Teton County Library
TCL Call #: J Picture Zullo G
Cindy's rating: 5 stars

This book won the prize for the 2011 Prix Sorcieres (the French Caldecott). The illustrations are very beautiful, colorful and simplistic. They enhance the powerful message about cherishing the small things in life. This is one of those rare books that will touch adults and appeal to children for its story. It is a rare gem in the cacophony of picture books published each year.
Meg Allison
  may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living. e.e.cummings

What a joy this book is to read and look at. It embodies so much of what I love about the best of children's literature - it contains exquisitely sublime details that are not in the book to be noticed, but are there to be discovered. I simply love this book.

Winner of the 2011 Prix Sorcieres for illustration (the French Caldecott).
Paul  Hankins
Germano Zullo's quiet little 2012 release in America actually won the equivalent of the Caldecott in France in 2011.

And this one. . .well. . .it's really making me think about the first day of school. LITTLE BIRD may--JUST MAY--bump Sylvia Fair's THE BEDSPREAD to the second class meeting instead of the first day where we have shared it for the past eight years.

This one is all about taking the time to see. . .and to notice. . .
Miss Megan
I love picture books with minimal text, (although they don't circulate very well). They are perfect for storytime and one-on-one reading because they open up kids' imaginations in fantastic ways. The artwork in this book is breathtaking and the message is strong and simple, but I'm not sure that it would translate for little ones. This may be one of those picture books that is much more treasured by us grown-ups.
Bethany
A big part of me wonders if kids are the right audience for this. They'll certainly understand the pictures, but the text has markedly abstract ideas. On the other hand, the text is minimal in both quantity and placement.

Apart from that, the simplicity, directness, and delightful pictorial storytelling are superb. Pretend it's a wordless picture book if your kids are unnecessarily confused by the text.
  • Bear Despair