Start by marking “One Halloween Night” as Want to Read:
One Halloween Night

One Halloween Night

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Let the Scholastic Bookshelf be your guide through the whole range of your child's experiences--laugh with them, learn with them, read with them!
Category: Halloween

Wendell, Floyd, and Mona can't seem to avoid trouble, particularly on Halloween! It all starts when a black cat crosses their path while they're walking home from school, which seems to cause all their costumes
Published August 1st 2005 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about One Halloween Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Halloween Night

Maddie Watson
"One Halloween Night" by Mark Teague is spooky story about three friends and quite the epic Halloween Night. The story starts off leading you on the night will be a terrible Halloween when the trio spots a black cat crossing their path. The old wives tale of a black cat being bad luck starts to ring true when Wendell comes home to find that his mad scientist costume has turned pink in the washing machine. Then floyd found out that he's going to have to take his little sister with him and his fri ...more
Sarah Sammis
I've mentioned before how much I love Mark Teague's 1940s style of paintings. He's the sort of illustrator whose books I will read regardless of the subject or the author. I have also mentioned that my children love Halloween books. One Halloween Night by Mark Teague was a must read book when we saw it at the library.

The book takes the sort of what-if worries of Stinky Face in Happy Halloween Stinky Face and plays them straight. Wendell, Floyd and Leona all have costume problems. They also have
Nancy
This book tells of friends going out Trick or treating. It tells of neighborhood bullies. The children use their super powers to get away from the kids who are teasing and following them. It tells of the costumes they wore, and the fears they had of other kids teasing them about those costumes. This is a cute book, with nice illustrations.
Laurie
Shelby Royalty
I enjoyed this little story about a few friends who go trick-or-treating together on Halloween. I liked the somewhat fantasy feel to some parts of the story. The illustrations were intricate and very nice. This would be a good story to read to the middle grade levels near Halloween.
Sandie
This was a fun book....we both enjoyed reading it!

The drawings are fun and the storyline is fun also! I am not familiar with this writer but have many good things about him and we definately enjoyed this book.

Its about a group of kids whose Halloween is not quite starting off right, thanks to a black cat! Things get a little tense when they run into a gang of witches! But they manage to have a good time, get some yummy treats and have a good time.
Emily
Very fun. Mark Teague is one of my favorite illustrators so I was delightfully surpised and pleased when we found this title at the library last month.

The vintage childhood drama of this trick-or-treating adventure is too much fun--it's as if Mark Teague pulled his tales out of a collective childhood memory that we all want to claim as our own classic Halloween.

I'm looking forward to checking this one out again next October.

Marcia
I like Mark Teague. A lot. He's a nice guy who wrote back to my students when they wrote to him ( a big plus in my mind) His illustrations are wonderful and his stories memorable. But this one missed the mark. The story line proved very difficult for the target audience to follow. Not funny, not scary, with too much picking on each other in a mean way that was never explained. A dud.
Travis
A brilliant kids book about three friends who just want to avoid the local bully gang and have fun trick or treating.
They manage to do it, but things get a little strange along the way.

Lots of fun and wonderful art from the always entertaining Mark Teague.
One of those books that I enjoyed as much as my kids.
Scott Bemisdarfer
My kids love to be scared...within reason. This is a cute book and is great making kids predict. You can have them predict what's going to happen next. They get a kick when they get it right.
Kristin Lee
The illustrations in this book were very good but I didn't care for the flow of the story very much. The last two pages of the books threw me off and I felt that they were not needed for the story.
Susan
Mark Teague is another fine childrens book author. This is a super fun book to read at Halloween or anytime. Some of the same characters show up in his other books.
louisa
Read recently as effort to read more books from Illustrator as Storyteller featured illustrators. I love Teague's style, color, and roundness.
Amberly
I enjoyed this more than most Halloween picture books I've read. I liked the return of two characters from A Secret Shortcut.
Shauna
Very fun story. I pull it out every Halloween and the children ooh and aah. "I remember that story! Can we read it?"
Heather
38 months - nicely illustrated and the story was fun although a fairly typical trick or treating type one.
Elizabeth
My 5 year old loves to recite this one. We will have to read it again soon as October draws near.
Mrs. Brandt
One of my very favorite Halloween read-alouds!
Even older kids (grade 4) love it.
Ellen Brandt
One of my very favorite Halloween read-alouds!
Even older kids (grade 4) love it.
Kari
I love Mark Teague's illustrations, don't know if I really love the story.
Tiff
I read this every year for Halloween to 2nd grade and the students love it.
Janae
Super cute story with a bit of magic.
Bridget
Mark Teague is an amazing illustrator.
Mom Taxi Julie
This didn't flow well at all.
Alison
Dianne
Dianne added it
Mar 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Mark Teague has delighted young readers with more than 20 picture books, and he has written many of them himself, including the popular Pigsty, Baby Tamer, and One Halloween Night. He is also the illustrator of Cynthia Rylant's beloved Poppleton series for beginning readers and the best-selling books by Jane Yolen, How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight and How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon.

Mark Teague's lif
More about Mark Teague...
Dear Mrs. LaRue: Letters from Obedience School Pigsty The Three Little Pigs and the Somewhat Bad Wolf Detective LaRue: Letters from the Investigation How I Spent My Summer Vacation