Start by marking “Hosoi: My Life as a Skateboarder Junkie Inmate Pastor” as Want to Read:
Hosoi: My Life as a Skateboarder Junkie Inmate Pastor

Hosoi: My Life as a Skateboarder Junkie Inmate Pastor

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  137 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
A mix of Tony Hawk and Brian Welch comes together in skateboarding legend Christian Hosoi, who reveals everything about his rise, fall, and redemption, in this amazing tell-all—from being named the greatest skater of all time to bottoming out on drugs to finally finding redemption through God.

Fans of Slater Kelly’s Pipe Dreams and Brian Welch’s Save Me From Myself, and fol
Published June 12th 2012 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about Hosoi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hosoi

Hosoi by Christian HosoiWild Tanuki by Elliott BurleyThe Mutt by Rodney MullenTony Hawk by Tony HawkHow Did I Get Here by Tony Hawk
skateboarding nonfiction
1st out of 11 books — 6 voters
The Hiding Place by Corrie ten BoomThrough Gates of Splendor by Elisabeth ElliotThe Heavenly Man by Paul HattawayGod's Smuggler by Brother AndrewSurprised by Joy by C.S. Lewis
Best Christian Biography/Autobiography
173rd out of 208 books — 102 voters

More lists with this book...

Pamela (Lavish Bookshelf)
Jun 18, 2012 Pamela (Lavish Bookshelf) rated it it was amazing
Do you know that Prodigal Son story in the Bible? The one where the cocky and arrogant son wants his father's inheritance RIGHT NOW and he gets it. Then he takes off to see the world, spends all of the money and finds himself starving as a slave in a foreign land? But then, when the son hits rock-bottom, he is humbled. He doesn't feel he is worthy enough to be called the son of his father, but that is where he was so very wrong. After returning to the father, the son learns that he is forgiven a ...more
Chat
Jul 08, 2012 Chat rated it liked it
Hosoi is and always will be one of my all-time favorite skateboarders. Having grown up a skater and followed his career since it's heyday I knew the turn of events his life has taken since the 80's, having also watched the DVD "Rising Son", therefore not much in this book came as a surprise, though I still found most of it to be an entertaining read. Being the fan that I am I looked forward to reading more about the first hand experiences he had and gain perspective from someone who's athletic a ...more
Karla
An interesting, quick read despite it not being the most well-written piece of lit I've ever read. If you were a fan of Hosoi and other skaters of the 80s and 90s like I was, it's fun to hear about all of the shenanigans that those guys got into at the time. But even I got a bit sick of him talking about how awesome he was about halfway through. I'll give it to him that he definitely turned his life around and will remain one of the greatest skaters of all time. This is a great book to get lost ...more
Chris
May 24, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it
Growing up in Beaufort, SC in the 1980s, Christian Hosoi was one of my skateboard heroes. I dreamed of watching him with my other skateboarding idols at Savannah Slamma in the late 80s; my pre-teen years were captivated with launch ramps, half pipes, trucks, decks, and wheels. To this day, skateboarding remains at the top of my list of my most favorite lifetime activities - easily beating out snowboarding, pole vaulting, and jumping out of airplanes. Skateboarding was and is king!

When I learned
Brandon Stiver
Jun 06, 2013 Brandon Stiver rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
Really enjoyed this book and glad that I got it. Christian's testimony and life story truly is enthralling. I was a little worried at first that the writing wasn't going to be up to snuff, but on the contrary I found that the book flowed rather nicely and Christian's voice really came through. Kudos to the co-writer Chris Ahrens for that. I love the transformation that took place in Christian once I got clean in prison. It not only points to the power of the scriptures, but even more so to the H ...more
Danielle
Aug 01, 2014 Danielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2012, memoir
I really liked Hosoi's voice and stories and his honesty ("forgive my stoner memory") and how the book opens with him getting arrested for tafficking meth to Hawaii. There's tons of graphics and photos and book is visually appealing. Hosoi’s 300-page memoir includes more than 100 color and black-and-white images. Even though most of it takes place in the 1980's and 1990's, teens today would still be invested in Hosoi's story. If they haven't heard of him, they've certainly heard of his rival/ fr ...more
Cody Christodoulou
Oct 10, 2013 Cody Christodoulou rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Wow! What a story! A junky that turns into a pastor! This story of pro skateboarder, Christian Hosoi, is a sad, yet inspiring and moving story. I chose this book because I am a skateboarder as well, and wanted to learn about a prominent figure in the skating world.

Hosoi was about seven years old when he started his skating career. He was a pioneer of skateboarding. Skateboarding was new, and when he and some of his friends got on their boards they blew it up . Skating was his drug. He literally
Ryan
Sep 27, 2013 Ryan rated it liked it
As far as memoirs go, "Hosoi" has perhaps the most divergent mix of target readers out there: skaters, 1980s enthusiasts, recovering drug addicts, and new school Christians. Hosoi nobly attempts to satisfy them all but the limitations of the first-person genre, namely, the sporadic input of others and the subject's selection of events to prioritize, results in a book that is wide in scope but slim in substance.

It does have many good points. If you toyed around on a skateboard in the Reagan era a
Luke
Apr 20, 2014 Luke added it
I liked this book. A lot of my mates as a kid were into Hosoi and really rated him as a skater. It was a good story, but then I love biographies.
The only thing I didn't like about the book was the constant references (in earlier chapters) to all the partying he did and how wasted he was. Obviously his journey into the abyss of addiction is an important aspect of the book, but I thought it was a somewhat over emphasised.
rene
Apr 17, 2014 rene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're into sakteboarding, Christianity and faith or.just interested in a great story READ THESE!

the story of Christian hosoi is inspiring not only from a skateboarding point of view, but also in a spiritual way as it details how such a radical improvement can be experienced trough a change in beliefs and faith
Joris
Jul 13, 2015 Joris rated it liked it
Kimberly
Jun 30, 2014 Kimberly rated it liked it
Christopher Ahrens
Jun 25, 2014 Christopher Ahrens rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hosoi
An amazing story of the rise, fall and redemption of the greatest skateboarder of his generation, and a Hollywood insider who partied nearly to death before his life took a radical turn. I may be biased, however. I ghost wrote the story. Check it out anyway.
Denny McCarty
Aug 04, 2014 Denny McCarty rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Not the best writing, but it kept my interest because I watched him skate when I was younger.
Julie
Aug 10, 2014 Julie rated it it was ok
75% "I got high and skated" and 25% "I used to get high and skate and now I trust in god and skate". Oddly, the last 25% was the hardest for me to get through.
Not very compelling.
Andrew Shane Autry
Jun 21, 2012 Andrew Shane Autry rated it it was amazing
Christian Hosoi is one of the few heroes in my life. It was a true thrill to read this intimate walk through his trials along the road to redemption and peace. Combined with the documentary, "Rising Son: The Legend of Skateboarder Christian Hosoi," this autobiography allows tremendous insight into the thoughts and actions and the highs and lows of the journey.

Thanks for sharing Mr. Hosoi.
Scott
Feb 17, 2013 Scott rated it liked it
Great nostalgic read for anyone who was born pre 1980 and skateboarded during the mid 80's-early 90's. Christian Hosoi was 'the man' in many kids eyes and the best to ride a board during those days. The authorship is written by a skateboarder that dropped out of school very early to focus on rippin so it is what it is but nonetheless an entertaining read.
Kenichi
May 25, 2013 Kenichi rated it it was amazing
I read his stories about his life. He had a been hard time to get direction to life bcs he was too famous and will not stick around with a same place. He and I are sort of same thinking... but He is famous than I am. lol. I was read his book about third time. It was a darn book! I love it.
Heather
May 09, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
Great story that ends with the acceptance of Jesus Christ Hosoi's ups and downs of life..Very interesting..
Chris Perry
Jun 28, 2012 Chris Perry rated it really liked it
It's always great to hear about people who have hit rock bottom only to realize it and change their life around. Christian did exactly that and tells all about it in this book. Great read and very inspiring to hear a man talk about his life and being humbled.
Kristen
Sep 10, 2012 Kristen rated it did not like it
Not very well written (shocker...he dropped out of school in the 9th grade) and gets really religious towards the end. If you are into 80's skate culture and followed the big names, it would be interesting but other than that, not at all.
Jeremiah Wean
Sep 27, 2013 Jeremiah Wean rated it it was amazing
This is a great quick read. It really is cool reliving the skateboard boom through one of the greats. This book details the fall from grace into grace.
Michelle Gurr
Sep 16, 2012 Michelle Gurr rated it really liked it
Christian has always been my favorite skater, had his pages from Thrasher on my bedroom walls as a teen. I'm looking forward to reading his story.
Marc Colasanto
Nov 04, 2013 Marc Colasanto rated it really liked it
Interesting read. Always amazed how people you think have it all are just as susceptible to the pitfalls of life.
Alanna Gabin
Mar 09, 2013 Alanna Gabin rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
an absolute must read for those who know the definition of legend.
James Coats
Jul 26, 2012 James Coats rated it really liked it
Redemption in Christ is awesome.
Wyatt
Wyatt marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Devan Lamothe
Devan Lamothe marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Vaclav Irkho
Vaclav Irkho is currently reading it
Apr 02, 2016
Jocelyn Pesansky
Jocelyn Pesansky rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
  • Can't You Hear Me Calling: The Life Of Bill Monroe, Father Of Bluegrass
  • Leaving the Pink House
  • The Burning House: What Would You Take?
  • Things That Make Us (Sic): The Society for the Promotion of Good Grammar Takes on Madison Avenue, Hollywood, the White House, and the World
  • The Mayor of MacDougal Street
  • No Woman No Cry: My Life With Bob Marley
  • Juvenile In Justice
  • Up the Down Volcano
  • Triggered: A Memoir of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
  • Muck City: Winning and Losing in Football's Forgotten Town
  • The Terminal Spy: A True Story of Espionage, Betrayal and Murder
  • James Bond: The Union Trilogy: Three 007 Novels: High Time to Kill, Doubleshot, Never Dream of Dying
  • Mesmerized
  • The Ransom of Black Stealth One (Aerospace Systems, #1)
  • Quantum Web (Nolan Kilkenny Mystery, #2)
  • America, You Sexy Bitch