Start by marking “Hosoi: My Life as a Skateboarder Junkie Inmate Pastor” as Want to Read:
Hosoi: My Life as a Skateboarder Junkie Inmate Pastor

Hosoi: My Life as a Skateboarder Junkie Inmate Pastor

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Raised at the legendary Marina Del Rey Skatepark—where his father was the manager and the Dogtown and Z-Boys crew were his mentors—Christian Hosoi never questioned that he would become a full-time skateboarder. But no one could have predicted his meteoric rise to the apex of a burgeoning sport—or the spectacular way he would crash and then create himself anew.

A professiona
Published June 12th 2012 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about Hosoi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hosoi

Pamela
Do you know that Prodigal Son story in the Bible? The one where the cocky and arrogant son wants his father's inheritance RIGHT NOW and he gets it. Then he takes off to see the world, spends all of the money and finds himself starving as a slave in a foreign land? But then, when the son hits rock-bottom, he is humbled. He doesn't feel he is worthy enough to be called the son of his father, but that is where he was so very wrong. After returning to the father, the son learns that he is forgiven a ...more
Chat
Hosoi is and always will be one of my all-time favorite skateboarders. Having grown up a skater and followed his career since it's heyday I knew the turn of events his life has taken since the 80's, having also watched the DVD "Rising Son", therefore not much in this book came as a surprise, though I still found most of it to be an entertaining read. Being the fan that I am I looked forward to reading more about the first hand experiences he had and gain perspective from someone who's athletic a ...more
Karla
An interesting, quick read despite it not being the most well-written piece of lit I've ever read. If you were a fan of Hosoi and other skaters of the 80s and 90s like I was, it's fun to hear about all of the shenanigans that those guys got into at the time. But even I got a bit sick of him talking about how awesome he was about halfway through. I'll give it to him that he definitely turned his life around and will remain one of the greatest skaters of all time. This is a great book to get lost ...more
Rebekah Choat
Christian Hosoi was, for all practical purposes, raised at the Marina Del Rey Skatepark, where his father was the manager. Born in 1967 to parents who epitomized the counter-culture of the times, he began skateboarding at age six and getting stoned at age eight. By age thirteen he had won his first skating event, bedded his first girl, and logged his first arrest.

Christian rapidly achieved rock-star status, winning or placing second to Tony Hawk in major contests around the world throughout the
Brandon Stiver
Really enjoyed this book and glad that I got it. Christian's testimony and life story truly is enthralling. I was a little worried at first that the writing wasn't going to be up to snuff, but on the contrary I found that the book flowed rather nicely and Christian's voice really came through. Kudos to the co-writer Chris Ahrens for that. I love the transformation that took place in Christian once I got clean in prison. It not only points to the power of the scriptures, but even more so to the H ...more
Danielle
I really liked Hosoi's voice and stories and his honesty ("forgive my stoner memory") and how the book opens with him getting arrested for tafficking meth to Hawaii. There's tons of graphics and photos and book is visually appealing. Hosoi’s 300-page memoir includes more than 100 color and black-and-white images. Even though most of it takes place in the 1980's and 1990's, teens today would still be invested in Hosoi's story. If they haven't heard of him, they've certainly heard of his rival/ fr ...more
Cody Christodoulou
Wow! What a story! A junky that turns into a pastor! This story of pro skateboarder, Christian Hosoi, is a sad, yet inspiring and moving story. I chose this book because I am a skateboarder as well, and wanted to learn about a prominent figure in the skating world.

Hosoi was about seven years old when he started his skating career. He was a pioneer of skateboarding. Skateboarding was new, and when he and some of his friends got on their boards they blew it up . Skating was his drug. He literally
Ryan
As far as memoirs go, "Hosoi" has perhaps the most divergent mix of target readers out there: skaters, 1980s enthusiasts, recovering drug addicts, and new school Christians. Hosoi nobly attempts to satisfy them all but the limitations of the first-person genre, namely, the sporadic input of others and the subject's selection of events to prioritize, results in a book that is wide in scope but slim in substance.

It does have many good points. If you toyed around on a skateboard in the Reagan era a
Luke
Apr 20, 2014 Luke added it
I liked this book. A lot of my mates as a kid were into Hosoi and really rated him as a skater. It was a good story, but then I love biographies.
The only thing I didn't like about the book was the constant references (in earlier chapters) to all the partying he did and how wasted he was. Obviously his journey into the abyss of addiction is an important aspect of the book, but I thought it was a somewhat over emphasised.
rene
If you're into sakteboarding, Christianity and faith or.just interested in a great story READ THESE!

the story of Christian hosoi is inspiring not only from a skateboarding point of view, but also in a spiritual way as it details how such a radical improvement can be experienced trough a change in beliefs and faith
Kimberly
Christopher Ahrens
An amazing story of the rise, fall and redemption of the greatest skateboarder of his generation, and a Hollywood insider who partied nearly to death before his life took a radical turn. I may be biased, however. I ghost wrote the story. Check it out anyway.
Denny McCarty
Not the best writing, but it kept my interest because I watched him skate when I was younger.
Julie
75% "I got high and skated" and 25% "I used to get high and skate and now I trust in god and skate". Oddly, the last 25% was the hardest for me to get through.
Not very compelling.
Andrew Shane Autry
Christian Hosoi is one of the few heroes in my life. It was a true thrill to read this intimate walk through his trials along the road to redemption and peace. Combined with the documentary, "Rising Son: The Legend of Skateboarder Christian Hosoi," this autobiography allows tremendous insight into the thoughts and actions and the highs and lows of the journey.

Thanks for sharing Mr. Hosoi.
Scott
Great nostalgic read for anyone who was born pre 1980 and skateboarded during the mid 80's-early 90's. Christian Hosoi was 'the man' in many kids eyes and the best to ride a board during those days. The authorship is written by a skateboarder that dropped out of school very early to focus on rippin so it is what it is but nonetheless an entertaining read.
Kenichi
I read his stories about his life. He had a been hard time to get direction to life bcs he was too famous and will not stick around with a same place. He and I are sort of same thinking... but He is famous than I am. lol. I was read his book about third time. It was a darn book! I love it.
Heather
Great story that ends with the acceptance of Jesus Christ Hosoi's ups and downs of life..Very interesting..
Chris Perry
It's always great to hear about people who have hit rock bottom only to realize it and change their life around. Christian did exactly that and tells all about it in this book. Great read and very inspiring to hear a man talk about his life and being humbled.
Kristen
Not very well written (shocker...he dropped out of school in the 9th grade) and gets really religious towards the end. If you are into 80's skate culture and followed the big names, it would be interesting but other than that, not at all.
Jeremiah Wean
This is a great quick read. It really is cool reliving the skateboard boom through one of the greats. This book details the fall from grace into grace.
Michelle Gurr
Christian has always been my favorite skater, had his pages from Thrasher on my bedroom walls as a teen. I'm looking forward to reading his story.
Marc Colasanto
Interesting read. Always amazed how people you think have it all are just as susceptible to the pitfalls of life.
Alanna Gabin
an absolute must read for those who know the definition of legend.
James Coats
Redemption in Christ is awesome.
Steven
Steven is currently reading it
Oct 26, 2014
Melissa Castillo
Melissa Castillo marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Bonnie Goodwin
Bonnie Goodwin marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
  • The Burning House: What Would You Take?
  • Things That Make Us (Sic): The Society for the Promotion of Good Grammar Takes on Madison Avenue, Hollywood, the White House, and the World
  • Juvenile In Justice
  • Muck City: Winning and Losing in Football's Forgotten Town
  • No Woman No Cry: My Life With Bob Marley
  • Triggered: A Memoir of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
  • Up the Down Volcano
  • Quantum Web (Nolan Kilkenny Mystery, #2)
  • America, You Sexy Bitch: A Love Letter to Freedom
  • Zig Zag: The Incredible Wartime Exploits Of Double Agent Eddie Chapman
  • The Terminal Spy: A True Story of Espionage, Betrayal and Murder
  • The Fourth War
  • Karate-do: My Way of Life
  • The Fund
  • Tom Clancy: Two Complete Novels (Red Storm Rising & The Cardinal of the Kremlin)
  • Unshaken: Rising from the Ruins of Haiti's Hotel Montana
  • My (not so) Storybook Life: A Tale of Friendship and Faith
  • Outrage: How Liberals, Congress, Unions, Drug Companies, Big Oil, Banks, Lobbyists, Corporations, the United Nations, the World Bank, the INS, the TSA, and the Democratic Party Are Ripping