Time Out for Monsters!

Time Out for Monsters!

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Where can you find a fire truck, a monster, and a great big pile of cupcakes? Come play with this exuberant kid as creativity and imagination transform a blank wall into a colorful adventure. Author Jean Reidy and illustrator Robert Neubecker invite anyone with an outsized imagination to join in this rambunctious romp about making your own world.
Published July 31st 2012 by Disney-Hyperion

Paul  Hankins
Get ready for a nice little picture book that reads like HAROLD AND THE PURPLE CRAYON meets NO! DAVID meets CALVIN AND HOBBES. Sure to delight younger readers!
Kendra
Really cute, tho I bet parents of willful children will think it's less cute. ;)
Jamie A. Swenson
A child in time-out. A blank wall. Easy access to art supplies. Hmmm.... this book reminds me of the good-hearted naughtiness in Karen Beaumont's I AIN'T GONNA PAINT NO MORE ... the colors go from ho-hum to all out MONSTER PAINTING! It's light-hearted fun at its best ... plus, when my (now 17) daughter was that certain age ... and she was placed in time-out ... next to a blank wall and easy access to a marker... I, too, came back and found a dinosaur on the wall! So, clearly, I can relate to thi...more
Angela
Yes, this is a children's book that shows a child's bad behavior and it's funny. Yes, I think that's fine. Neubecker's colorful illustrations bring to life a usually dull punishment in this time-out tale of imagination.

If we intend to stimulate our young and teach them NOT to draw on our preciously boring walls, by all means, use this book!
if we intend to stifle their creativity, best to give them the tools and opportunity to draw elsewhere. Use this book to start the conversation.

Parents might...more
Mckinley
I enjoyed his imagination and even wished it was all true.
Jeremey Olson
Time out for Monsters! is a fun book to read to kids that like to get into trouble. I read this book to my preschoolers and they loved it. Most of all they love the pictures. This book is about a boy who is put into time out and his mind begins to wonder. What seems to be in his mind at first, ends up being drawn on the wall. And the boy then gets into trouble again for coloring on the wall and his mom has him clean it up. Like I said I would recommend this book for those who have kids that like...more
Lacie Griffin
OK- since I have a 3 year old that spends time in the "time-out corner" I can really relate to this book. As the main character is sent to the "time out corner," he begins to think of all the things that could be in his corner with him. With Windows, monster trucks and dragons, joining our character in time out, the ending is sure to make you laugh!
Debrarian
Can't decide whether to use this for storytime. Kids would love increasingly extravagant pictures of a kid's fantasy, but I don't love that it starts with a kid sent to the corner. Nope, upon re-reading, I won't use it. Or maybe I'll change the story a little.
Ratforcekids
Time (Out) for Monsters! is a book full of mischief, imagination and fun. Jean Reidy lives and works in Colorado and is the winner of the 2012 Colorado Book Award. Her illustrations are silly and wonderful and her stories are always worth a read.
Sara
I read this book to my 4-year-old daughter's pre-k class and the kids seemed to enjoy it. My 1.5 year old LOVES it and often brings it to me to read or will sit flipping through the pages on her own.
Tamara
As a little girl who may have once colored on the wall during a time-out, I appreciate this book. I'm just a little sad I wasn't as creative as this kid with my unauthorized artwork.
The Styling Librarian
Cute new picture book, answers the question- what goes through your child's mind when they get sent to a time out corner? Amusing ending...
Rosa
A little boy is in time out and decorates his corner (resulting in more trouble) but the fun imagination he displays is very cool.
Michelle Nero
Oh, quite the imagination -- not what I was expecting at all! Loved the surprise ending and only wish time out was this fun!
Melissa
I like how the end and the beginning are similar and frame all the action in the middle. I also like the box-of-crayons palette.
Sarah BT
Time out can be fun! A funny imaginative take on time out. Good for parents and kids to read together and laugh along.
Molly
A fun read out loud about the power of imagination (and the perennial problem of crayons on the walls!)
Courtnie
Fun for my monsters...who have incidentally 'monster-ed' up their corner(s) plenty of times.
Dana
What happens when a kiddo feels their time out space needs a little added color....
Edward Sullivan
A bold, bright, colorful celebration of a young boy's imagination.
Cristina
3.5. With fun, loud illustrations and a storyline kids can relate to.
Kathleen
Everything about this book is vibrant, rough, and a little rowdy.
Paula
A little boy turns his "time out" into an adventure.
Thia
Sep 21, 2012 Thia added it
Shelves: preschool
really cute, mosters, time out, vehicles
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
An imagination, a white wall, and some crayons?
Lindsay
monsters, imagination, trouble, colors, funny
Joseph
Joseph added it
Jul 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Too Purpley! All Through My Town Light Up the Night Too Pickley! Too Princessy!