Start by marking “1945” as Want to Read:
1945

1945

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  917 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
America has dropped atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

But Japan has only begun to fight. . . .

In 1945, history has reached a turning point. A terrible new weapon has been unleashed. Japan has no choice but to surrender. But instead, the unthinkable occurs. With their nation burned and shattered, Japanese fanatics set in motion a horrifying endgame–their aim: to take A

Published May 29th 2007 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about 1945, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1945

Christopher
Apr 06, 2009 Christopher rated it it was ok
*Sigh*

My wife mocks my reading of Harry Turtledove because it's so far from literature. To her, the flat characters and forced plots pull her out of the story to often to enjoy the ideas or just the ride. Conroy shows me much more of what that must feel like for her.

In a lot of ways, I don't blame the othor for most of the problems in this book - I blame the editor. It's the editor's job to point out when the author swaps point-of-view in the middle of a conversation. It's the editor's job to pu
Brandon Kesler
Feb 26, 2011 Brandon Kesler rated it it was amazing
I must say I did not know what I was getting myself into when I picked up this book. Spending nights on end to just finish the last pages, this is one novel that is hard to put down. The main story line would make any alternative history bluff leap with joy. Not only did he think of what would happen he made it work with real history, Robert Conroy is an impressive author who has shown that with this novel. Not only was the story line impressive but the characters as well, they seemed to lift ri ...more
Joseph Farand
Nov 02, 2011 Joseph Farand rated it it was amazing
What if Japan hadn't surrendered in World War II? Japanese fanatics take control of the government when Emperor Hirohito tries to surrender after the two atomic bombs are dropped. The United States is forced to invade Japan resulting in one of the bloodiest campaigns in its history. As additional atomic bombs are used and deadly kamikaze attacks take a heavy toll success is far from certain. Victory will depend upon the most unlikely of people. Conroy tells his story through an interesting cast ...more
Amy Overton
Feb 18, 2012 Amy Overton rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who enjoy history -- especially counterfactuals
Recommended to Amy by: found it via goodreads : )
A thought-provoking look at what might have happened if the Japanese hadn't surrendered after Hiroshima & Nagasaki. I had not realized how tenuous the Emperor's decision to surrender was in the 24 hours after he informed his military leadership. According to Conroy's book, had a key general -- General Anami-- decided to oppose the Emperor's decision & support a coup against him, Japan would have fought on with horrific results. Conroy paints a clear picture of how difficult an invasion o ...more
Christian D.  Orr
May 16, 2016 Christian D. Orr rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Alternate history fans, military fiction fans
A highly engrossing, fast-paced, and eminently readable alternate history novel about a nightmarish scenario in which Imperial Japan does *not* surrender subsequent to the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, thanks to a successful coup against Emperor Hirohito by obstinate Bushido-obsessed Japanese military officers.....thus necessitating an extremely bloody (for both sides) American land invasion of the Japanese home islands (starting at Kyushu).

Author Robert Conroy skillfully blends re
Tcooker
Nov 21, 2011 Tcooker rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Young readers with little knowledge of history.
Recommended to Tcooker by: Saw it in the library.

While the premise was promising, '1945' was OK at best, and really fell short of my expectations. Conroy demonstrates a solid grasp on history and can relate a bigger picture, but in the smaller scope the book is much less compelling.

Most of the characters are two-dimensional products of that dated Hollywood school of "aw shucks, I'm no hero, I'm just doing my job". The interactions between characters are shallow, predictable and slathered with macho-sappy self-deprecating dialogue. However Conr
Alan
Aug 20, 2014 Alan rated it really liked it
I recently read the book, "1945," by Robert Conroy. I've always been a reader of military history, particularly that pertaining to the second world war. Another genre that I enjoy is "alternative history," probably made most popular by Harry Turtledove, with his "The Guns of the South," and "World at War."

Many of you may know that, by the summer of 1945, the war in Europe was over, and the war in the Pacific Theater was drawing closer to its inevitable conclusion. The military might of the Empir
Bob
Aug 03, 2013 Bob rated it really liked it
What if? What if after the United States dropped atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the Japanese did not surrender? What if a coalition of followers of Samurai beliefs kidnapped Emperor Hirohito and took control of Japan's military vowing to fight to the last man?

This is the question posed by Robert Conroy in his book 1945. This is the second of Mr. Conroy's books that I've read, and I have to say they are thoroughly enjoyable. His knowledge of the time and the players is so good that he pa
Jeff Kirsch
Jan 18, 2011 Jeff Kirsch rated it liked it
A good read, an alternate history of the end of World War II in the Pacific. As such it requires multiple story lines to capture the big picture, and this takes you from the trenches to the White House and behind enemy lines to flesh out the plot.
More plot driven than character study, focus is on the action rather than analysis.
Bearcatgary
Nov 20, 2014 Bearcatgary rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: military and history buffs
I found this book in the Science Fiction section of our local library. It looked interesting so I checked it out. The book is composed of 87 2-3 page chapters focusing on the 15 or 20 key characters in this speculative story. The concept is that there was a coup in Japan after the 2 atomic bombs went off. The new government did not surrender and the war waged on. This caused the U.S. to have to plan a full-scale invasion of Japan. The book is about the planning, execution and conclusion of the i ...more
Chris
May 13, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it
A view of what might have happened if the two atom bombs dropped on Japan did not convince them to end the war. This uses real events and people and projects out a different scenario. It is a good read.
Eric
Apr 10, 2011 Eric rated it liked it
I wouldn't call this great literature, but as a fan of alternate history, it was a fun read. It was good enough that I'm planning on checking out some of the author's other books.
John Hobbs
Oct 18, 2010 John Hobbs rated it really liked it
Good read. My first venture into historical fiction, and it wasn't bad. Some of the dialog was weak, but the premise was strong and the action/intrigue seemed believable.
Caroline
Sep 02, 2008 Caroline rated it liked it
- Liked it. Altho it is revisionism history, I thought it was well researched. Characters were rounded albeit I had trouble keeping them seperate in the beginning.
Jack
Mar 01, 2010 Jack rated it it was amazing
OMG - what a great story.
Details are so believable.
Gunn
Nov 12, 2014 Gunn rated it it was amazing
Impressive alternative history story told based on history changing after one event (in this case, what if Japan didn't surrender after Hiroshima and Nagasaki). There are no SF elements here
(ex: the AK47 being introduced to the Confederates in the Guns of the South) so the tale unfolds in based on what key historical figures might have done and how various fictional characters, if placed in certain situations, would have reacted.

I liked it more than any Harry Turtledove alternative History I've
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 Pam Bales rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great alternative history read. I've always enjoyed fictional military history and this is just a great idea. Hirohito is going to surrender, but his generals won't let him. Chaos ensues. If you can wrap your mind around this kind of writing, it is terrific. I am ready for more.
Andy Phillips
Oct 03, 2014 Andy Phillips rated it it was amazing
This is an alternative history novel set in a universe where a military coup in Japan stops its surrender after atomic weapons are used in 1945. This part of the story, and many of the characters, are based in reality, but many of the characters (and obviously the events) are fictional. The story manages to stay true to the events and attitudes of the times while maintaining an exciting story centred around a small number of main characters. The tale is told almost entirely from the American per ...more
David
Jul 23, 2011 David rated it really liked it
1945 is a realistic and grueling alternative history book taking the event of an actual military coup that tried to stop the emperor from surrendering after the bombings in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. In actual history, one top guard was divided in loyalty, actually may have been leading towards the militarists, but in the end chose to protect the emperor and uphold his decision. This simply asks the question - What might have happened if this guard chose to allow the coup through to kidnap the empe ...more
Keith Schincke
Dec 24, 2014 Keith Schincke rated it really liked it
This is a pretty good for military or history buffs. It forks history with a successful Japanese coup preventing the broadcast of the emperor's speech.
Christopher Mabry
May 04, 2015 Christopher Mabry rated it it was amazing
I bought this book as what I call a blind buy. I have never heard of the book, never heard of the author. I am glad I bought it.

A "what if" scenario that Japan did not surrender in WWII. He has done an excellent job with imagining how the outcome would have been in a battle with Japan.

I thought the characters were very real and well written. The story was very strong, and intense action scenes as well. Conroys style of writing is simple yet he is detailed without getting long winded.

I was blown
Liz Neale
Apr 18, 2016 Liz Neale rated it really liked it
This is a good book. A very interesting read. It's a book of history and "what if".
Tom
Jun 07, 2015 Tom rated it really liked it
This is the best alternative history I've ever read.
Leo
The interesting thing about this book is the alternate history aspect. I have asked myself the question of what would have happened if Japan had not surrendered after the bomb and Conroy uses his military history background to his fullest to answer the question. The writing itself was pedestrian at best. He did a fair job of representing the big names of history as people and one wonders how closely he was able to capture the true personality of these gentlemen being more than 60 years removed f ...more
Mario
Aug 29, 2013 Mario rated it really liked it
By far the most enjoyable of the three Conroy alternate history novels I've read yet.

He dispenses with the at times distracting romantic subplots and instead chooses to focus on the primary narrative and theme.

My only gripe would be that the climactic battle at Round Top doesn't get the build up and anticipation created in much the same way that earlier pivotal scenes.

Apart from that, it's my favorite Conroy book so far!
Keith Johnstone
Nov 29, 2013 Keith Johnstone rated it it was ok
This book is clearly well researched and very interesting from that point of view. It features far too many characters though and becomes slightly confusing in parts because of that, it perhaps could have been structured better to reference those persons rather than make them a character. There are also missed opportunities with suspense and storytelling. But easy to read and as said interesting.
Harry
Excellent alternate history novel! Robert Conroy created a (IMO) very plausible story of what events might have been if the Japanese had not surrendered after the dropping of the atomic bombs. I also like the fact that he uses major players like Truman and Marshall, etc. as characters in his story. I'm off to read 1901 and 1862 in the very near future.
David R.
Nov 06, 2009 David R. rated it really liked it
One of Conroy's better novels. In this case the premise (unlike, say, "1901") is credible. On the down side the storytelling is uneven, with the battlefront scenes lacking depth. As is typical of Conroy the military contrafactual wraps up with unbelievable speed. Entertaining, if generally implausible.
Bob
Nov 17, 2009 Bob rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009
I thoroughly enjoy Robert Conrad's alternative history books, and this was an excellent one.
In this book the Japanese refuse to surrender after we drop the bomb and we have to invade the Japanese mainland, with all the horrendous casualties that come with it.
John
May 29, 2013 John rated it liked it
Interesting thought about what would happen if the Japanese did not accept the unconditional surrender terms that ended WWII. I will try another of Robert Conroy's novels to see how he treats other famous historical events.
  • Days of Infamy (Days of Infamy, #1)
  • Stars and Stripes Forever (Stars and Stripes, #1)
  • The Two Georges
  • Fox on the Rhine (Fox on the Rhine, #1)
  • 1635: Cannon Law (Assiti Shards, #8)
  • Final Impact (Axis of Time, #3)
  • Marching Through Georgia (Draka, #1)
Robert Conroy was a best selling author of alternate history novels. His 1942, which is set within a Japanese conquest of Hawaii, won the prestigious Sidewise Award for alternate histories.

After taking early retirement from automotive management, Conroy decided to combine his loves of history and writing. After discovering that Kaiser Wilhelm had plans to invade the U.S., he wrote his first alter
More about Robert Conroy...