Start by marking “A Girl and Her Pig: Recipes and Stories” as Want to Read:
A Girl and Her Pig: Recipes and Stories

A Girl and Her Pig: Recipes and Stories

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  26 reviews
In A Girl and Her Pig, April Bloomfield takes home cooks on an intimate tour of the food that has made her a star. Thoughtful, voice-driven recipes go behind the scenes of Bloomfield's lauded restaurants - The Spotted Pig, The Breslin, and The John Dory - and into her own home kitchen, where her attention to detail and reverence for honest ingredients result in unforgettab ...more
Published April 10th 2012 by HaperCollins

To ask other readers questions about A Girl and Her Pig, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Girl and Her Pig

minervasowl
I read an impressive number of reviews on one web site where just about everyone insisted on reacting (negatively) solely to the image on the cover.

I too reacted strongly to the image on the cover of this book, but my reaction was more along the lines of "That is a bold, honest statement, and evidently this woman knows how to butcher her own meat if she buys it whole like that. Cool!"

I've been reading a lot lately about how industrialized the food has become in the United States and as a result
Darren
Straight away this book has seemed to spark controversy in some quarters. The front cover features a woman with a dead pig over her shoulders, not quite how a fox fur would be worn, yet there is nothing controversial, campaigning about the picture.

It is almost a serene, respectful scene. Nothing more, nothing less. The author, a renowned chef who was born in England but escaped to the United States, clearly likes her pigs - one of her restaurants is even named after a pig. A good chef will respe
Catherine
Four stars for the stories, two stars for the recipes - just because so few of them appealed to me.

She uses a lot of ingredients that would be difficult for me to find locally, so it's helpful that she provides sources at the end of the book.
Nicole
I've heard a lot of good things about this book (and a lot of controversy) and spotted it this morning in ebook form at 90% discount. I had to have it despite my preference and insistence for having my cookbooks be physical objects.

This book is gorgeous. The recipes fully embrace that modern rustic trend, which I'm fully in favor of. The recipes speak to me with their elevated yet down to earth simplicity. The writing is enjoyable and April's voice is warm and pleasant.

I can't comment on how any
Heather
Gorgeous book. I love the abundance of pictures. I find the mix of easy and complicated recipes well-balanced. Only one of the recipes screamed at me: Cabbage and Bacon. It sounds so unassuming, but to me the melange of sweetly softened cabbage against the rich chew of bacon seems fantastic.
Cheska
Came across the book from one of the Amateur Gourmet's blog posts extolling her adobo and curry recipes. While I have my family's adobo recipe, I love researching other adobo recipes and trying them out. I like that she uses chunks of unpeeled ginger and smashed garlic cloves. It's rustic, nonfussy, and simple. I like the curry recipe too, but its spice list does seem daunting. This is where "mise en place" comes in! Other than these two recipes, I didn't find others useful or interesting. I tri ...more
Monica
The book is down to earth, straightforward and simply delicious - like her food. The recipes are approachable, and easy to follow, not intimidating in the slightest.

She is generous and encouraging with her instructions, and hands on in every possible sense. The stories that she shares reveal her love for the tactile and sensory pleasures of cooking and her respect for ingredients, as well as her gratitude and affection for the people who showed her the way.

It makes me want to go directly to my
Gorgeous pics, adorable illustrations and an incredibly likeable chef. . . what more could you ask for? However, it really made me want to go to one of her restaurants - I'm not that likely to cook Fried Pig's Ear with Salad at home (or faggots, or most of the edibles in here). Even if I had the time, I'd be eating alone! However, her instructions are clear and her voice is great. Don't miss the chapters on sweets and libations - I did get to taste-test some of those and they're very worthwhile!
Kendra
Though at first it thought it a bit foolish to rate the literary merits of a cookbook, I would say that "A Girl and Her Pig" is significantly better than some of the non-fiction I've recently read. Bloomfield's narration provides context to her recipes, allowing the reader to fully envision the experience of preparing one of her dishes. She clearly has a great respect for food (specifically ingredients); her recipes make preparing offal seem approachable, while elevating porridge to a high art f ...more
Folashade
Most of the negative reviews are based on the cover. If you have ever had the good fortune to eat at an April Bloomfield restaurant you will love the recipes in this cookbook. The Fried Pig Ear Salad, no wonder it tastes so good its slowly cooked in duck fat, cooled then deep fried.

I eat meat so seeing a dead pig so what. Its going to wind up on my plate in all its lovely glory and this cookbook has some great recipes in it. From the poppy seed dressing to the pig ear salad.
Beverly
Looks good, but I have yet to actually cook anything. Will wait to rate until I have. I can say my friend made a ginger cake that everyone loved (from this book).

Just shared 9 dishes from "A Girl and Her Pig" by April Bloomfield with friends. Gotta say they were all really yummy. You need to use your own good sense a little with her recipes, but they are basically really good flavor combinations.
Jean
Other than the porridge recipe and one for radish salad I didn't find the recipes that helpful. As expected it's very meat focused. Though I like to eat things like sweetbreads and octopus when dining out, it's not the sort of thing I cook at home. Also, some of the recipes seem like rip-offs of others - carrot, avocado, orange salad is exactly the same as the Jamie Oliver one published years earlier.
Crystal
I got this from the library and it was a fun browse-through. I only found one recipe I wanted, and it was a cocktail. I loved my meal at the Breslin, but I suppose I'd rather Ms. Bloomfield cook it for me. :)
Alison James
There weren't many recipes I was drawn to make. The summer tomato soup was good (I like that it isn't cream based), but it was too salty. Other recipes I tried were fine, but nothing special.
Lauren orso
this is an extremely nice cookbook, from which i would make all the recipes if i wasn't a.) broke, b.) a lazy, and c.) a broke and lazy slob. but you totally should!?#@#*!
Jane
I thought this book would be more autobiographical but it is more of a recipe book. I'm a bit disappointed because I prefer to know more about her and her pig. :)
Randall
Some items I'd like to make. Many just a bit too fussy for the time and energy I have. Definitely loves her sardines, pequin chilies, and Maldon salt.
Maggi
Oct 06, 2012 Maggi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: food

Great book. Believe it or not some of her salads are great. I love the girl, and her pig. And her inventive, spicy and strong drinks.
Maureen Flatley
Fabulous and highly readable from Mario Batali's protege and owner of the Spotted Pig in NYC. Loved.
Ari Hershberg
Thank you April for being alive. The best cookbook I have read in quite awhile.
Felicia
May 19, 2012 Felicia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
This is a great book. It has funny stories and great recipes. I loved it.
Sara
the meat recipes are awesome but the veggies leave a bit to be desired....
Alessandra Porro
Cozinha sem frescuras: receitas e historias deliciosas e capa é sensacional!
Lindsay
Some great recipes and stories in here. Must get to cooking!
SA
Dec 30, 2013 SA rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Absolutely charming. I particularly loved the illustrations.
Emily
was put off by her tone, rather confusing...
Jose Da
Jose Da marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Tania
Tania marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Toby Wilson
Toby Wilson marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
  • The Family Meal: Home Cooking with Ferran Adrià
  • Roots: The Definitive Compendium with more than 225 Recipes
  • Noma: Time and Place in Nordic Cuisine
  • Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table
  • Every Grain Of Rice: Simple Chinese Home Cooking
  • Japanese Farm Food
  • The Splendid Table's How to Eat Weekends: New Recipes, Stories, and Opinions from Public Radio's Award-Winning Food Show
  • Pok Pok: Food and Stories from the Streets, Homes and Roadside Restaurants of Thailand
  • The Zuni Cafe Cookbook: A Compendium of Recipes and Cooking Lessons from San Francisco's Beloved Restaurant
  • Ivan Ramen: Love, Obsession, and Recipes from Tokyo's Most Unlikely Noodle Joint
  • Momofuku Milk Bar
  • Vietnamese Home Cooking
  • All About Roasting: A New Approach to a Classic Art
  • Cooking in the Moment: A Year of Seasonal Recipes
  • Honey from a Weed: Fasting and Feasting in Tuscany, Catalonia, the Cyclades and Apulia
  • The Whole Beast: Nose to Tail Eating
  • The Italian Baker
  • Top Pot Hand-Forged Doughnuts: Secrets and Recipes for the Home Baker
April Bloomfield has spent most of her life in the kitchen and had the pleasure of working with some of the most revolutionary chefs before taking on a kitchen of her own. A native of Birmingham, England, April began her culinary studies at Birmingham College. From there, she went on to hone her craft through cook positions in various kitchens throughout London and Northern Ireland, including Kens ...more
More about April Bloomfield...
A Girl and Her Pig A Girl and Her Greens A Girl and Her Pig - Signed Pitt Cue Co. The Cookbook