Start by marking “Jackie After O: One Remarkable Year When Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Defied Expectations and Rediscovered Her Dreams” as Want to Read:

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  216 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Defined in the public eye by her two high-profile marriages, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis faced a personal crossroads on the eve of 1975. Her relationship with Aristotle Onassis was crumbling while his health was rapidly declining. Her children were nearing adulthood, soon to leave her with an empty nest. Both death and scandal were about to strike yet again. But 1975 would...more
Published May 1st 2012 by It Books (first published March 20th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Jackie After O, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jackie After O

Marcie
As far back as I can remember, and even before that, the world has been infatuated with Jackie Kennedy Onassis. She first became a public icon when her husband ran for office back in the 1960's. Since then the stylish, soft spoken first lady became a celebrity. Jackie After O by Tina Cassidy focuses specifically on the period in Jackie's life after her second husband passed away. Cassidy writes an introspective view on Jackie's life. This is a fantastic book worth reading!
During this period, Jac...more
Angelc
I went into this book without too much prior knowledge of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, other than that she was a beloved First Lady. I'm glad to say that I learned a lot about this fascinating woman, both of her later life, and her life during her tumultuous years as First Lady. Gladly, the book is never gossipy, the author relies on facts and first-hand accounts to tell the story. There are many footnotes on every page so that the reader can go to the original source. That being said, the author...more
Kelly Hager
This is about Jackie Kennedy in 1975, the year when her life completely changed. Each chapter details an aspect of her life that year. Her second husband died, her kids were essentially grown (Caroline had graduated and John was in hgh school), she got a job in publishing and worked to preserve Grand Central Station.

Obviously, everyone has defining events in their lives, things which will mark a sort of "before" and "after." It's generally not an entire year, though. But with Jackie, it seems li...more
Diane
The fascination with the Kennedy family is perpetual, and even though Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis was a Kennedy by marriage, her life still generates books, films and even a jewelry line bearing her influence and name.

Tina Cassidy has written a book, Jackie After O: One Remarkable Year When Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Defied Expectations & Rediscovered Her Dreams, that gives a brief overview of her subject's life, concentrating more on the work she accomplished and less on her well-doc...more
Elizabeth
I have to admit that before I read this book, I didn't know a whole lot about Jackie. I knew who she was, of course, and could remember a few salacious "JACKIE O!" headlines in the tabloids from the time this book is set (1975), but to me she was just a famous person in big sunglasses whose life I couldn't really imagine. The few items I'd read from her White House years made me think she was a typical 50's housewife, content to raise the kids and go shopping while her husband saved the free wor...more
LaurieH118
I thought Ms. Cassidy found a new way to look an oft-told tale. Jackie is one of the most written-about women of modern times, yet most of the biographies spend the lion's share of their time on the 10 years she spent with JFK. She was 24 when she married him, 34 when she was widowed the first time, and spent decades without him. Cassidy's account of how Jackie spent all those years, how she rediscovered her independence, is a quick and interesting read.

It's ironic and sad that Jackie O. worked...more
Isabelle
The mid 70s is a period of many changes in Jackie's life, and I am fascinated by a woman who kept reinventing herself despite all the blows in her life.

So I was naturally drawn to Jackie After O, sadly after seeing blatant errors, the book has lost all it's credibility to me. I write online movie guides and accuracy is my priority. I cannot imagine writing a fact without searching and double or triple checking an information.

Jackie driving a Mustang in the 50s? no unless she had found a time ma...more
Lynda Kelly
This wasn't bad although a bit slapdash with the editing process, I think. My biggest gripe with it was the amount of times spaces were left out of words. This happened the whole way through and was irritating. Careless, too. Like twentyeight-room, TimesHerald, socialregister, seventeeen-yearold page.
Forward was used in place of foreword and wale in place of wail which is pretty dire then a caption under a photo continued in the preceding text which made for some confusion.
There were some photos...more
Divya
A pretty interesting read for lovers of biographies, especially if you are interested in how real life of celebrities are. But it does mainly derive its sources from news and interviews and can seem like reading a story than reading about a person. The title Jackie after O is a bit misleading as it does focus a lot on how she got there and her formative years. In a way that's good because Jackie is more identifiable as the First Lady phenomenon than any other role. The book also gives us great i...more
Katherine
Jackie After O centers on the most pivotal year in the former First Lady's life: 1975. This was the year that her second husband, Aristotle Onassis, died, leaving Jackie a widow for the second time in her 46 years. According to Tina Cassidy's new biography, it was his death that ultimately led Jackie to reassess her life and its future course. Over the course of one year she took on some of the most challenging roles of her life and transformed from being (solely) a fashion icon to an icon of th...more
June Morgan
I have always admired Jackie Kennedy O - I don't even think about that part of her life. I remember being glued sitting in 6th period in 7th grade when the principal came on the intercom and announced that President Kennedy had been shot. I remember I was driving down Tryon Street in Charlotte, NC when Bobby Kennedy was killed.

I have always had a silent admiration for this family even with all the good and the bad that has happened.

JACKIE AFTER O continues the story of Jackie after Jack was ki...more
Sarah Joyce Bryant
Every once in a while I come across a book that grabs my attention and doesn’t let go.Jackie After O is one of those books. Tina Cassidy does a fantastic job of presenting the facts about Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis’ life in 1975 in an engaging way. She provides us with important background information that helps us better understand the scope of what Jackie endured and what she ultimately accomplished. Cassidy captures the era in which Jackie lived and the expectations of women at that time thro...more
Laurel-Rain
As a long time fan of all things Kennedy, I was eager to read "Jackie After O: One Remarkable Year When Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Defied Expectations and Rediscovered Her Dreams," hoping for more information than I had already gleaned from other sources.

While there were additional tidbits about the "one remarkable year when Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis defied expectations and rediscovered her dreams," there were also numerous scenes that felt like regurgitated facts from all the other stories I h...more
Patrice
Well, after spending months slogging through Moby Dick, trying to understand the impossible to understand, my poor brain needed a break and this was it. I've followed the adventures of Jackie kennedy since I was a 10 year old. In those days she and the whole Kennedy clan were a combination of royalty, movie stars, national heroes, and role models in every way.

Things have changed and the truth is never the same as the image. But the story of the family does remind me of a Greek tragedy so there i...more
Maria
The 411 by Maria:
It only took about 3 days to get through this book and that says a lot in my very busy 3 full time jobs if you count mommy a job!

Jackie has always been interesting to me but more so as I get older. Most of the books I have read about her were about her life as the presidents wife but this one focus more on her later years. I remember when she passed away and how crushed I was that "the a former first lady had passed" but what sat with me more and made me sit up straighter in my...more
Terri
When you can't even get one of the most important historical dates in history correct it does not bode well for the book. President Kennedy was assassinated on November 22, 1963 not November 23. Most of this book is simply a Jackie biography. That's fine but its not what the title of the book indicated it should be.If you are a Kennedy reader then you know the stories you know the set up. The Onassis years are best covered by Edward Klein or Christopher Anderson in their books. It was an interes...more
Fraya

At the early pages I underestimated the less-blunt author writing style, indeed i forgot that this is the story of an ex first lady which happens to be also a fashion icon on her decades. Right through these chapters "the target" and "the working woman", my expectation of the slightly controversy side on her life starting to fulfilled as Cassidy emerged carefully in describing women in Jackie's generation, post-Onassis death, and how she try to proceed her life with no spouse and growing-up chi...more
Jackie Tebbe
I though it was worth the read.

I'm glad I read this. Learned a lot about Jacqueline I didn't know about - both good and bad. would be interested in reading more about pre and during JFKs presidency.

Cheryl
I've always been fascinated by Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis. This book covers a pivotal year in her life - 1975. Her husband Aristotle Onassis dies, her children are grown, she helps rescue Grand Central Station from demolition (I remember this well) and she begins a career in publishing. She grew up at a time when if a woman was in college she was expected to have a "ring by the spring" of her senior year and women weren't expected to do anything other than get married. She was a very bright woma...more
MaryBeth Kane
It's Jackie...so I enjoyed it!
Kim Bolton
I was greatly disappointed in this book. Any author who screws up the date of JFK's asassination has lost me from the get-go. Despite its title, this is really not about Jackie after Onasis. It includes episodes of her life during the year just before and after Onasis died, but the bulk of the book is about her time as First Lady. Books about Jackie O have been done to death and I had thought this would be a little something different. It's not. A lot of her information sounds as if she's lifted...more
Chris
I really enjoyed this book, but I didn't really learn anything new, just pretty much what I already knew about her life, but I did enjoy what the author wrote. The book spent much time talking about her White House restoration, and then her fight to keep Grand Central Station from demolition. There is some information about her jobs with both Viking Press, and Doubleday. If you don't remember much about Jacqueline's life, this is a good refresher.
Amanda
Beginning started out slow, the last 50 pages of the book were the best.
Catherine
Lord have mercy, this was a horrible attempt. Cloying, smarmy, rehashed gossip - I'm so grateful that I didn't buy this ghastly thing.

I generally have a lot of respect for writers, but this is just a crime against humanity. And factually inaccurate - I found endless mistakes that even a tiny bit of research should have caught.

Tina Cassidy, whoever she is, should be ashamed of herself.
Lindsay Dias
Being an admirer of Jacqueline Kennedy I was so excited for this book, a biography on her life after Onassis died. I thoroughly enjoyed this and highly recommend it. Tina Cassidy is a phenomenal writer. She did however get the date of JFK's assassination wrong, citing it as November 23, 1963 when in fact it was November 22, 1963. Other than that I was enthralled the entire way through.
Mysia
I loved it! Intimate, engaging, and inspiring, JACKIE AFTER O is a long-overdue tribute to a woman who deserves to be remembered for her own strength of character and accomplishments as a preservationist and editor, as well as for her famous roles (First Lady, wife, and widow) as the supporter of powerful men. Tina Cassidy has written a touching, powerful memoir.
Paige
I guess I was on a Jackie Kennedy kick for a bit this summer; I read this book right after the other one. It is interesting to read some things about famous people that you hadn't heard before. When I was growing up, Jackie was truly just "Jackie O," but you honestly didn't think of her as much more than a headline. It's refreshing to discover more.
Christina
I read this partly because I'm kinda interested in Jackie, but mostly because I loved Tina Cassidy's Birth: The Surprising History of How We Are Born. So maybe I shouldn't be surprised that I found it a little boring.
Blue bookcase review: http://thebluebookcase.blogspot.com/2...
Elixxir
I tend to avoid anything Kennedy because it usually smacks of inaccurate gossip and exploitation. Which is weird really because I don't generally have a problem with gossip or exploitation. Maybe I just hate the Kennedy's? Which should make me like this crap more. It didn't. Write better. I want my two dollars back.
Marguerite
The author was all over the map with this one. It was supposed to be about a year in the life, but I only figured that out at the very end of the book. AND after I learned that this book was about a "remarkable year," I have to say that the year wasn't that remarkable.

Not worth the money.
  • Robert Redford: The Biography
  • The Kennedy Detail: JFK's Secret Service Agents Break Their Silence
  • Symptoms of Withdrawal: A Memoir of Snapshots and Redemption
  • President Kennedy: Profile of Power
Birth: The Surprising History of How We Are Born Labor Pains and Birth Stories: Essays on Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Becoming a Parent