Start by marking “Love Sucks” as Want to Read:
Love Sucks

Love Sucks

Mailee's greatest wish is to be an ordinary teenage girl, but thanks to one stupid demon gene she consumes love from any human she touches. The only person she can touch is her best friend Eric, a hot lust-drainer. Except for slight hand-brushes to keep from starving, she avoids humans.

Until she meets Logan, a diabetic and the first human who could understand Mailee's die
Published April 27th 2012 by Musa Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Love Sucks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Sucks

Can't Wait Books of 2012
456th out of 2,456 books — 15,856 voters
Cinder by Marissa MeyerThe Selection by Kiera CassUnder the Never Sky by Veronica RossiThrone of Glass by Sarah J. MaasEverneath by Brodi Ashton
2012 Debut Authors (Young Adult & Middle Grade)
231st out of 1,016 books — 6,423 voters

More lists with this book...

Janhvi
Oct 11, 2012 Janhvi rated it liked it
Shelves: review-book
Love Sucks is the story of Mailee. She is a Haustrix, which means that she has inherited a demon gene which causes her to suck out or consume people's love if she touches them. She can drain anyone completely out of their love for one another or anything they are thinking about at the moment. So Mailee is a Haustrix and Eric is a Haustor, the male version of the demon and the only person she can safely touch.

I found Mailee's character to be relatable. She is introverted and likes to keep to hers
Amanda
Mar 08, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I'm going to be a hipster and say I READ THIS BEFORE IT WAS PUBLISHED.

I am absolutely in love with this book. Mailee, the Haustor who draws love away from anyone she touches, is an achingly real character. She's awkward and self-conscious, but at the same time, knows exactly what she wants and fights to get it. (Seriously, if you make it through the first half of this book without wanting to give Mailee a big hug, I'm really concerned about your soul.) She's completely relateable while being com
Meghan
Aug 14, 2012 Meghan rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was a brand new idea, a great plot line, with fun characters, what's not to like about that?

The story is about a teenage girl who is a Haustrix. This is something I have never heard of before so I was quite eager and excited to read and find out more. I love taking in new fantasy ideas and lore, so much fun! So a Haustrix is essentially a demon, the female version. The male version is called a Haustore. These demons live by feeding off other people's emotions. Mail
Margaret Lesh
Sep 11, 2012 Margaret Lesh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Love Sucks, especially when you're different than everyone else in the world, especially when you're a teen Haustrix (an extremely rare demon who feeds off of human emotions) and haven't experienced real love and can't touch anyone for fear of draining their emotions -- their love -- for another person.

I enjoyed this book! First off, I thought the premise was unique and the main character's challenge was also unique: How to survive by draining enough human emotion from people to live, but not so
Reeses
Nov 30, 2012 Reeses rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book for an honest review.

Mailee Jones life is one big epic love suck. Mailee is a Haustrix which means she has a demon gene which causes her to suck love out of anyone she touches. If she doesn't receive her daily dose of love from the students or people around her she'll starve to death. Mailee's life revolves around cheering all of her close friends on, doing the cheerleaders homework, and having no friends. Then one day a new student arrives with love flowing off of
~Kate~
When looking through the books from Musa Publishing this one kind of stuck out as it sounded interesting and different so I thought I would give it a try and I'm glad I did as it was an enjoyable read.

The cover is very eye catching which made me want to read this book. I love the heart and the hand in the image as it symbolizes what the story is about. I also love the different font of the title as it looks effective.

When I first started this book I thought it was a bit cheesy which I thought I
Andrea Heltsley
Dec 03, 2012 Andrea Heltsley rated it really liked it
"How much love would a love sucker suck if a love sucker fell in love?"

After reading this part in the description, I was not so sure about this book. It was just a strange description. Once I got past that part, I enjoyed the book.

The premise of this story was creative and unlike anything I have read in the past. I never knew quite what was going to happen. I wished there was a little more background on their powers, why they were all different and how their race lived.

The storyline was really
Marilyn Phillips
Jan 22, 2013 Marilyn Phillips rated it really liked it
This book was offered to me by Musa Publishing for an honest review.

When I first read the title to this book, I made the assumption that it would be a story involving vampires. Then I read the blurb and realized my mistake. This tale is definitely not about fanged creatures which drink blood to survive. However, having said that, the protagonist (along with several of her friends) does have an unusual diet, one that does not include human food.

Mailee (Mai) is a Haustrix (yeah, I didn’t know what
Hrtnsoul28
Feb 04, 2014 Hrtnsoul28 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Was not sure I was going to like this book. Just decided to go ahead and read it. Found out I could not put the book down. I wish it could have maybe turned into a series with more details on each sin. I would have given it 5 stars but I did not really like the ending.
J.
I happened upon this book on sale when Musa Publishing announced it was closing, and because the author is a moderator at AbsoluteWrite. The premise immediately struck me as something I haven't really seen before.

For the most part, Collins delivers. From the beginning, the writing is engaging, and it's so easy to keep turning the pages. Mailee may be a shy and fearful character, but it kind of makes sense, given how she's grown up and the fact that anyone she touches will lose their love. (Perso
Iris
Read the full review at Witchmag's Boekenplank

Well... It's hard for me to describe the feelings I experienced while reading this book. At the moment it's one big heap and I can't separate them, which makes giving my opinion a bit difficult, although I'll try.

I liked reading this book, it has a nice concept and characters, but Mailee annoyed me at times. Especially when she was "drunk" on a Sin, or a couple of them. I know a person can't be in her right mind when she's got rage raging through he
Hwa Sun
Nov 02, 2012 Hwa Sun rated it liked it
My Thoughts:

1. Mailee was not a fun character to read about. She cried so much over absolutely nothing; it was pathetic. She was also naive, and sometimes really stupid.

2. The plot was interesting. Certain things seemed a bit too convenient, but it was still interesting.

3. Omg I love how Mailee and Logan first met. That cracked me up :D

4. There was an info-dump somewhere near the beginning which was done in a very confusing and far too convenient manner.

5. I loved the romance because it was buil
Sage Collins
May 11, 2016 Sage Collins added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Naturally, I'm not really going to review my own book, but there's news! Love Sucks was chosen as an Editor's Top Pick by my publisher. One of seven of their books to be given that distinction. Some editors out there must love my little book. Hope you do too :)
Elissa Hoole
Aug 12, 2012 Elissa Hoole rated it really liked it
A fun, fast-paced fantasy with an interesting premise! I beta-read an early draft of this book, and it was terrific to see how much it has changed in the process of becoming a real book.
Metaspinster
Jun 03, 2012 Metaspinster is currently reading it
downloaded sample
Mckayla
Mckayla marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Nomsa Soko
Nomsa Soko marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Cassie Dowell
Cassie Dowell marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Tovey
Tovey marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Tara Blake
Tara Blake marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Prudence Bridges
Prudence Bridges marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Jeana Phillips
Jeana Phillips marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Jahnelle
Jahnelle marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Feb 26, 2016
Kimi
Kimi added it
Feb 25, 2016
Aa'Ishah
Aa'Ishah marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Harleen
Harleen marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Jerome Irish
Jerome Irish marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
  • The Trouble with Nightingale
  • Oldsoul
  • Becoming a Butterfly (The Butterfly Chronicles, #1)
  • Lost in the Bayou
  • The New Death and others
  • Determinant (The Guardians of Vesturon, #3)
  • Cemetery Street
  • House of Sand and Secrets (Hobverse #2)
  • The Demon Side (The Demon Side, #1)
  • Hippocampus (The Atlantis Revolution, #1)
  • Holiday Fling
  • Fall to Pieces
  • The Hunted (The Hunted #1)
  • Fenridge (The Ethereal Crossings, #2)
  • Reluctance