Start by marking “Eyes Right: Confessions from a Woman Marine” as Want to Read:
Eyes Right: Confessions from a Woman Marine

Eyes Right: Confessions from a Woman Marine

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Just out of high school in 1977, her personal life already a mess, Tracy Crow thought the Marines might straighten her out. And sure enough, in the Corps she became a respected public affairs officer and military journalist—one day covering tank maneuvers or beach assaults, the next interviewing the secretary of the navy. But success didn’t come without a price.When Crow p ...more
Published April 1st 2012 by University of Nebraska Press

To ask other readers questions about Eyes Right, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eyes Right

Brutally honest and illuminating...Tracy (one of my grad school classmates) has produced an exceedingly readable portrait of women in the Marine Corps at a crucial time in our military culture. This is what memoir does best: shining a light on an intense moment in one's life. Bravo!
Clear, precise prose, a well constructed story (even though it's memoir) and just generally so very readable and wonderful.
This book will be featured on the 29 June edition of SummerBooks podcast at
Kathleen Rodgers
A Woman of Substance

Take away the uniform, take away the rank, take away the label “female Marine,” and what do you have left? In the eyes of this reader, you have a woman of substance.

Author Tracy Crow writes with brutal honesty about her sometimes difficult childhood and the unflinching fortitude it took to enter what some considered a “man’s world” in the days before female Marines were more commonplace. She writes about trying to conform in a world where having an hourglass figure is looked
Michael Sadoff
I never thought I wanted or needed to know this much about the Marines or about Tracy Crow, but she definitely proved me wrong. The book is insightful about the role of women, not only the military, but in our culture in general. It also is introspective and communicates a great deal about personal development and the struggles we all face. Great job by Crow. I highly recommend this book to anyone.
Annette Gendler
For all the memoirs I've read, I never expected a memoir could read like a thriller. Read my full review on my blog and jump to an author Q&A with Tracy in the Washington Review of Books.
This was an interesting and honest look at a woman's career in the Marine Corps during the 80s. I was curious to get a look into an early female career in a very traditionally masculine environment (makeup lessons in lieu of the shooting range, check!)

The summary mentions an affair with a general so I was a little leery of a tawdry expose, but instead, I found it to be a very honest account of a woman trying to make her way in a man’s world. Crow really lets her humanity show; she wants to live
This book was recommended on a bookstore website. I don‘t know that I would have read it otherwise. Crow shares her Marine Corps experiences from an interesting perspective.

Crow entered the Marine Corps fresh out of high school in 1977. She clearly loved being a Marine and, with her strong, ambitious, determined nature, demonstrated what it takes to be a model career Marine. She quickly moved up in rank, but her success (and mistake) came with a heavy price, personally and professionally.

The bo
Pam Winholtz
Jan 07, 2013 Pam Winholtz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: women, young adults who come from dysfunctional families
I liked this book a lot and recommend it. The story is well written, and very interesting. I now understand why the armed forces attracts people who may have come from difficult circumstances, and teaches them how to become successful members of society.
Want to know what I think? Follow my literary podcast, SummerBooks. Subscribe at We'll be talking about Eyes Right on our next episode.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
May 23, 2013 Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides marked it as maybe-read-sometime
Seems like an interesting but depressing book. Confessions indeed.
Myrna Oleson
Myrna Oleson marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Janette marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Abby Moe
Abby Moe marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Leanna marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Mayra Liset
Mayra Liset marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Danielle marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Erin added it
Oct 10, 2015
Liz Swan
Liz Swan marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Susannah marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Veronica Rapp
Veronica Rapp marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Mary Alice
Mary Alice marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Jenny Fink
Jenny Fink is currently reading it
Dec 02, 2014
Marden Hermanson
Marden Hermanson marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Marina added it
Jan 11, 2015
Sheila marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014