Start by marking “Year's Best SF 17” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Year's Best SF 17

David G. Hartwell

Year's Best SF 17 (Year's Best SF #17)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Once again, the finest short-form sf offerings of the year have been collected in a single volume. With "Year's Best SF 17, " acclaimed, award-winning editors and anthologists David G. Hartwell and Kathryn Cramer demonstrate the amazing depth and power of contemporary speculative fiction, showcasing astonishing stories from some of the genre's most respected names as well ...more
Published May 29th 2012 by Harper Voyager (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Year's Best SF 17, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Year's Best SF 17

David
Great stories, and not a clunker in the bunch! Some stronger than others, but that's normal with every anthology, even a "Best of". Far too many stories had themes of environmental catastrophe, or mentioned it anyway, for my taste. But I only skipped the one story that seemed to be focused on that.
Jan
Half of the writers in this collection are female and gifted storytellers. Can't wait to see what some of the authors do next. Recommend this short story scifi collection.
Andrewcharles420
Generally too long--too many stories--I no longer remember the first third of the book, probably, though I only read it over the course of a month. I should have taken more notes while reading this (like which authors or stories I liked and disliked), but that's hard to do with something I just want to pick up for a few minutes at a time (my typical usage case for a short story collection)

Of the few notes I did write down, I particularly liked 'For I Have Lain Me Down' by Michael Swanwick, 'The
Peter
A collection of short stories published in 2011, chosen as the best by David G. Hartwell and Kathryn Cramer.

As usual, it's a mixed bag. While none completely left me cold, save perhaps Paul Pope's "Ragnarok" (but that's in large part because it's written as poetry), I didn't find any standouts that blew me away, either. Most of them were mildly pleasing, and a few I'd already read, so their impact wasn't as good as it may have been. I've liked other Years Best volumes more even when they had sto
Maurizio Codogno
Come capita spesso nella collana Millamondi, questa raccolta è la traduzione dell'anglofona Year's Best SF che, come dice il nome stesso, contiene una selezione di racconti pubblicati nel 2011.
La fantascienza contemporanea è molto diversa da quella a cui sono abituato: non solo nei temi, ma anche perché molti racconti non vengono pubblicati nelle riviste ma nei siti. Inoltre la componente femminile è molto cresciuta; non ho verificato se raggiunge o addirittura supera la metà del testo (mica son
Althea Ann
** The Best Science Fiction of the Year Three • Ken MacLeod
In a totalitarian future, an editor purports to be seeking contributions to a new anthology. But why is he doing this at the very public launch of a new experimental technology? Eh, this one didn't really come together for me. A bit too gimmicky, and the ending didn't convince...

*** Dolly • Elizabeth Bear
An experimental model of sex doll is suspected of having killed its (her?) owner. (view spoiler)
Stephen Graham
Not as much overlap with the Dozois collection as some years. I suppose my favorite stories would be the ones that overlapped with Dozois, "Dolly" by Bear, "Laika's Ghost" by Schroeder, and Gilman's "The Ice Owl". Of the remainder, Gwyneth Jones' "The Ki-anna" and Genevieve Valentine's "The Nearest Thing" stood out. Not a collection that I regret having read but not particularly memorable either.
Lucas
On the whole, an enjoyable collection. Lots of "doll" stories in this one - probably reflecting interest in transhumanism. As with any collection, though, I like some better than others. My top 3:

Tethered - a beautiful, emotional story about friendship between a human and an alien with a genetic predisposition to want to serve humans.

The Education of Junior Number 12. My favorite of the "doll"-type stories. Like you'd expect of any story of this type, it explores the relationship between the and
Dp Thght
I think Year’s Best SF 17 to be one of the strongest collection in the series. The plurality of the stories contained in it are some of the most remarkable I’ve read from these periodicals. Most of the stories seemed well lengthed and paced (a notable exception to this was The Ice Owl, one of my least favorite stories in the book), were founded on interesting ideas, and were well executed in their literary aspect. I especially enjoyed the stories by Ken Liu, Karen Heuler, and Pat MacEwen. The Ne ...more
Lora
I usually love these anthologies, especially to take along when I'm traveling, but either my taste or the editors' (or their choices...) has changed. However, I did enjoy the stories by Ken Liu, Neil Gaiman, and Yoon Ha Lee.
Michael
This book was amazing! Some of the stories I preferred more than others of course, but at least 5 of these short masterpieces will stay in my mind always.
Darcy Goshorn
The collection this year failed to do it for me. Took me quite a while to finish. No outstanding material.
Chris
One of the best collections in an unusually fantastic anthology series.
Deborah Replogle
Some really interesting stories and some new sf authors to look for.
Ch J Loveall
I enjoyed most of the authors chosen. TY
Midu Hadi
Midu Hadi marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Stefan Grønvik
Stefan Grønvik marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Captivekraken
Captivekraken marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
James
James is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2015
Mark Catalfano
Mark Catalfano marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Marco Brambini
Marco Brambini marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Cary
Cary marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Paradox
Paradox marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Alexander
Alexander is currently reading it
May 26, 2015
Little
Little marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Taskel
Taskel marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Kathie
Kathie marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
  • Best New Horror 14 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #14)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Eighteenth Annual Collection
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror, 2013 Edition
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy, 2011
  • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year (Volume 7)
  • Lightspeed: Year One
  • Solaris Rising: The New Solaris Book of Science Fiction
  • The Very Best of Fantasy & Science Fiction: Sixtieth Anniversary Anthology
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Seventeenth Annual Collection
  • Shadow Show: Stories In Celebration of Ray Bradbury
  • War of the Worlds: Global Dispatches
David Geddes Hartwell (born July 10, 1941) is an American editor of science fiction and fantasy. He has worked for Signet (1971-1973), Berkley Putnam (1973-1978), Pocket (where he founded the Timescape imprint, 1978-1983, and created the Pocket Books Star Trek publishing line), and Tor (where he spearheaded Tor's Canadian publishing initiative, and was also influential in bringing many Australian ...more
More about David G. Hartwell...

Year's Best SF (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Year's Best SF
  • Year's Best SF 7
  • Year's Best SF 8
  • Year's Best SF 9
  • Year's Best SF 10
The Dark Descent (Collection) The Hard SF Renaissance The World Treasury of Science Fiction Year's Best SF 14 The Sword & Sorcery Anthology