Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman, #1)

Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman #1)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  338 ratings  ·  84 reviews
Maggie Lee is not your average hitwoman. For one thing, she’s never killed anyone. For another, after hitting her head in the car accident that killed her sister, her new best friend is a talking lizard—a picky eater, obsessed with Wheel of Fortune, that only Maggie can hear.

Maggie, who can barely take care of herself, is desperate to help her injured and orphaned niece ge...more
Published January 24th 2012 by Avon Impulse

To ask other readers questions about Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman

Jacob Proffitt
Apr 03, 2012 Jacob Proffitt rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: most fans of Stephanie Plum.
Shelves: owned
I had low expectations for this book but it did manage to exceed them. On the surface, the book could be taken for a cheap attempt to cash in on Janet Evanovich's raging success with her Stephanie Plum series. And there are certainly a lot of similarities. You have a single woman, mildly klutzy, with family issues, living in New Jersey taking on a job generally reserved for gung-ho bad-asses being romantically pursued by two guys who are actual gung-ho bad-asses. Oh, and who sometimes talks to h...more
Donna Huber
This was a great book. I loved Lynn's The First Victim, but Confessions is even better. I cried... I laughed... I cried again... laughed again (see a pattern?). Full review: http://www.girl-who-reads.com/2012/01...
Paperback Dolls
Previously posted at PaperbackDolls.com

If you’re looking for a good laugh, you’ve come to the right place. J.B. Lynn has given us the next Stephanie Plum in the form of Maggie Lee.

What’s a girl supposed to do when an accident leaves her sister and brother-in-law dead, her tiny niece Katie in a coma, and the insurance isn’t enough to cover the expenses? As a claims representative for Insuring the Future, Maggie doesn’t make the kind of money needed ensure her niece has the very best care, so she...more
ReviewsByMolly
Oh. My. Friggin'. Gosh. This was AWESOME! I had a bit of a mix up, and got to read this a little later than planned, but again I say. Oh My Friggin' Gosh! It was so worth the mix up to be able to jump into this and spend a night reading this novel in it's entirety. I just could NOT put down J.B. Lynn's awesomely hilarious, suspenseful, sexy novel.

Margaret May Lee. Aka a neurotic hitwoman. Who talks to lizards. Yup. I thought the same thing. But, let me tell you. It was FANTASTIC! This lady is on...more
Lisa
This is the second book for author JB Lynn. Her books so far are complex. She has so much going on but it's not confusing. It's laid out nicely in a good pace that you can follow and savor as you go. I didn't know what to expected based on the title and cover and the brand spanking newness of this author. Was it a thriller? Seemed like it might be since the last one was. OK but the blurb mentions a talking lizard so maybe it's funny too??? Ha it's a mix of both. There are some dark sad elements...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
Evoking shades of Wonderfalls and Stephanie Plum, CONFESSIONS OF A SLIGHTLY NEUROTIC HITWOMAN could just as easily been titled "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished". This book bears more resemblance to a wacky, caper of a contemporary romance than urban fantasy, but the addition of talking animals gives it one foot in the paranormal camp… or perhaps, as the main character worries, the mental hospital.

Maggie Lee is the responsible sister in a family with more than its fair share of characters and ne'er-...more
Lisarenee
"I know your name, where you live, where you work, and that you're the legal guardian of that little girl. I also know how much your annual salary is, that you have no criminal record, and what's in you bank account. Most importantly, I know how much this 'premium care' costs. People say I'm a crook, but the medical establishment has got nothing on me. They just know how to bleed you dry legally. And that is why I think you might find yourself amenable to the offer I'm going to make you."
"You'
Silver James
Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwomanarrived on my Kindle as the result of winning a contest. How the heck had I not discovered J.B. Lynn and her wonderfully neurotic heroine, Maggie before now? Ms. Lynn has quickly become a favorite author. Do you know that feeling when you walk into a fun house? When the mirrors get you all discombobulated and the floor starts buckling? And then it starts spinning around like a tilt-a-whirl? Yeah. That's what reading CONFESSIONS is like. It's a crazy rid...more
Misty
A twisted plot and a twisted but lovable main character, dark humor, a talking lizard and an edgy but flaky psychic...put it all together and you get a fun romp into the dark side with a woman forced to kill for money. (Note: The bad guys are truly bad and deserve what they get.)

The family situation between Maggie and her aunts was a well-written subplot (don't we all have family members who make us crazy?), and Armani, the screwed up psychic, made me laugh out loud. I'd love to have friends lik...more
Andrea Guy
Move over Stephanie Plum, there is another Jersey Girl on the book scene! Maggie Lee is one of the funniest characters you'll encounter in a long time. The story is full of color characters that you can't help but love. Oh and some really interesting animals!

It is hard to pigeonhole this book into a genre. It is a little bit chicklit but it isn't a real mystery or thriller either. What it is, is a whole lot of fun and a little bit of a roller coaster ride, with Maggie learning to be a hired gun...more
Lisa
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Veering from wildly funny to desperately sad, Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman is an entertaining dark comedy caper.

Maggie Lee survives the car accident that kills her sister and brother in law, leaving her niece, Katie, comatose. Maggie's parents are no help, her father is doing time for murder and her mother is in a psychiatric hospital. Maggie hasn't seen her sister in years and her three aunts are their own special type of crazy. A chance encounter with a hitman in the hospital br...more
Amy R
This was a great book. JB Lynn’s writing was fun and witty and easy to read. I found it difficult to put this book down because I had to know how things turned out for Maggie in several situations. I think the book was set up perfectly for a series. There are so many questions that were answered yet I still had several others that will hopefully be answered in the books to come.

I really liked the first person point of view in this book. I really felt for Maggie and understood the decisions she h...more
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
I am incredibly glad that I saw someone in my update feed reading this book and that I decided to check it out. It was awesome. I loved Maggie. She was funny. She was brave. She was loyal. She talks to animals. Really, I had so much fun reading her story. I found myself wondering if she really was going to it. She pulled it off. I don't know if it's weird that I felt proud of her for that, but I did.

I really wasn't sure what to expect with this book, though I figured there would be humor. I was...more
Dianne
If you are thinking that this sounds like 'chick-lit' or a light funny read, you may be in for a surprise. I was very surprised as to how this book played out, murdering another human for cash is a difficult subject to get the average reader to grasp. While this book did have a lot of elements of humor ( a talking lizard and at the end a dog?) I found the themes to be terribly dark but totally engrossing. The author managed to write a multi-layered, very deep character no matter how flighty she...more
Julia
A mix of Wonder Falls and Stephanie Plum, CONFESSIONS OF A SLIGHTLY NEUROTIC HITWOMAN could also be titled "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished". Maggie Lee is the responsible sister in a family with more than its fair share of characters and ner-do-wells, but it's still no surprise when that over developed sense of responsibility is what lands Maggie in the world of contract killing.

And oh what a world it is. The "professional" parts of Maggie's life were what required the largest suspension on disbe...more
Tracey Avequin
JB Lynn deserves our attention! She's won mine with her newest book, Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman. Just as editor Lucia Macro explains ([...]), this book'll make you laugh. And cry. And hope along with Maggie Lee that her problems will be solved in the end (at least somewhat-- come on, life, give us a break once in a while!). And because we all need a little comic relief in our lives, there's a talking lizard who has nick-named himself God. The romance is perfect: not too mushy, j...more
Linda
This book is definitely a laugh out loud read. JB Lynn has a great sense of humor and I would love to see this book turn out as a series. I want to read more about Maggie & Patrick.

Maggie is a strong character. I loved her and her smart comments. Maggie is willing to do what ever it takes to make sure her niece Katie gets the best care while she is in a coma.Maggie, Katie & her parents were in a car accident. Katie's parent didn't make it and now Katie is in a coma and Maggie is doing al...more
Brianna Kilcrease
So to tell you the truth I was slightly skeptical about this book. After signing up for the tour I was like, I wonder if the book will be something I'll like. Well guess what? It's DEFINITELY something I'd like.

Stephanie Plum meets Woman Who Talks to animals in this hilarious, exhilarating read. On my kindle the book was a whopping 489 pages, but I read about 300 in just a few hours. Crazy huh? It was that good.

I'm quite happy that this is the first book I am reviewing for a blog tour :) It def...more
B.E.
JB outdid herself with this one. The characters she wrote are real and fun and vulnerable and gutsy. The main character - Maggie - is someone I'd want to hang out with even if she is 'remarkably unremarkable'. Patrick - her hitman mentor/hot cop - could buy me a beer any day. And Godzilla is a lizard I'd love to have around, even if I'm not a lizard lovin' person. I can't wait to see what JB has in store for us next.

Because there has to be a sequel. Or I might have to join Maggie in becoming a s...more
Talk Books To Me
Review by Brandi
3.5 Stars

Lately I have been reading a lot of emotional (at least for me) books and I wanted…no,I NEEDED something on the lighter side. After going thru my TBR I found this little gem and I dug right in.Confessions was a fun read and light hearted enough that I was content but it was not just a”fluffy” storyline.

Brandi

Maggie is your average 32 year old who works at an insurance company. She’s single with a mother in the “looney bin”, a father in prison and three crazy aunts aka “the witches/bitches”. A car acci...more
DL
This book was fun. Did I have to suspend believe? Of course. Were their loose ends flapping about and things that really didn't make sense? Why, yes there were. It was a little to similar to Stephanie Plum but with more motivation. I hate those stupid love triangles and really hope that Ms. Lynn does not let this series drag on ad nauseum. What starts out as fun is just shop worn by the eighth book. :)
Dee Haddrill
What an enjoyable find this was. Maggie is a simple person who has led quite an un-extraordinary dad, albeit with a criminal father and insane mother. Following a car accident that tragically stole the lives of her sister and brother-in-law, her little niece is left in a coma and on the verge of being sent to a less than acceptable hospital for her on-going care. In desperate need of money, Maggie finds herself learning to become a hitwoman. Oh, and add in the fact that, following the car accide...more
Jessica

A funny, fluffy, kinda paranormal story of mob hitpeople and their families, with some romantic elements. None of those parts is really strong on its own, but mixed together somehow becomes a good time. Somewhat to my surprise, I'm looking forward to the next one.
Gayle Cochrane
Fantastic read. This book was so good, that I am sorry it is over. Completely different than anything else I have read. Great characters that you wont want to miss. Funny and sad at the same time. Looking forward to reading more from J.B. Lynn in the future.
Gail
This book was really different, but entertaining. The heroine falls into the hitwoman profession mostly by accident. I got a big kick out of it, and will be looking for others from this author.
Paul
I really enjoyed the book, although it felt like the epilogue was much too short... I wanted more! Regardless, I'm looking forward to a sequel, it's a good cast of characters.
D.M. Kilgore
Jan 22, 2014 D.M. Kilgore rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that loves quirky outside the box humor!
Recommended to D.M. by: Kelsey Rae Keating
Hilariously witty, wacky, and just downright FUN. This was a great read. I alternated between laughing and wondering if the author had gotten her hands on my diary. What do you get when you combine God, Doomsday, and a hitwoman who's never fired a gun before? Too much fun for words, that's what! Oh yes, this book is totally outside the box. I'd tell you more... but then I'd have to kill you. I'm buying then next two books NOW. Yes, right now. I cannot wait to see where this story goes next!

The K...more
  • No Experience Required (A Summer Rains Novel)
  • The Silent Oligarch (Ben Webster, #1)
  • Whiskey Sour (An Addison Holmes Mystery, #2)
  • To Katie With Love
  • The Devil Drinks Coffee (A Kate Saxee Mystery, #1)
  • Under Construction
  • Unplugged (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery #2)
  • Weapons of Mass Distraction (Lexi Graves Mysteries, #5)
  • Dirty Little Christmas (Marisela Morales/Dirty, #3)
  • A Warrior's Promise (The Warrior King, #3)
  • The Devil's Scribe
  • Confessions from an Arranged Marriage (The Burgundy Club, #4)
  • Bound to Me (Dark Days, #0.5)
  • Devil in Disguise
  • Silver Sparks (Barringer's Pass #1)
  • Thin Rich Bitches

The Hitwoman and the Neurotic Witness

The Hitwoman Hunts a Ghost

The Mutt and the Matchmaker

The First Victim

When a fan told her that she's a "fabulous author", a "great sport", and a "very cool chick", JB Lynn immediately thought, "that's wh...more
More about J.B. Lynn...
The Hitwoman Gets Lucky (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman, #3) Further Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman, #2) The First Victim The Hitwoman and the Neurotic Witness (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman, #5) The Hitwoman and the Family Jewels (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman, #4)