Start by marking “The Art of Mindfulness” as Want to Read:
The Art of Mindfulness

The Art of Mindfulness

This selection from Thich Nhat Hanh’s bestselling The Art of Power illuminates the core Buddhist concept of mindfulness for the Western reader

In The Art of Mindfulness, one of the most revered Buddhist teachers in the world, Thich Nhat Hanh delivers a life changing practice to overcome our overdriven mind, to let go of preoccupations and multitasking and focus solely on th
Published February 7th 2012 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Mindfulness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Mindfulness

Vaishali Joglekar
Like a breath of fresh air, Hanh gives practical exercises to return to the calm soul, the oasis of our true selves.

Philosophy quotes first, then some exercises :

** In Sanskrit, the word “budh” means awake. A full Buddha is someone who is awake all day.

** Enlightenment and awareness are of the same substance.

** Concentrate on watering the seeds of happiness, joy, and peace.

** The first aim of the practice is to stop forgetfulness... Forgetfulness is the opposit
Feb 22, 2013 Susie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-on-cd
I listened to this book as an ebook download to my Nook. It is a lecture, so to speak, by Thich Nhat Hanh and I was glad to be able to listen to him because I really got a sense of the author, you could tell when he was smiling or thought something was a bit humorous and you could hear him pause to be thoughtful over choosing his words. Also, the audience responded to his words with laughter and approval. The sound of the bell reminds one to breathe and to practise what he is explaining. My favo ...more
George Barrett
Short simple profound and life changing.
Sep 07, 2012 Justin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished-2012
Simple, quick, but lots in this tiny book.
Oct 12, 2015 hemant rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book for practising mindfulness.

The book is simple and direct. Useful for a practitioner of meditation. However I feel the book "power of Now" describes this subject in much more detail.
Aug 09, 2012 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He is an incredible writer here focusing on what can clearly be considered a lifesaving topic.
Luciana Vichino
Jan 18, 2015 Luciana Vichino rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O texto é em realidade o capítulo de um seus livros (The art of power) e merece a leitura. O autor consegue se comunicar de maneira fácil e torna o texto interessante trazendo a prática para a vida diária.
Pode ser lido e aproveitado por quem já estuda o tema e também por quem nunca ouviu falar sobre o assunto.
Estar 100% presente no que se faz é uma prática para a vida toda que está cada vez mais complicada pelo mundo como tem sido construído até aqui. De qualquer forma, acho que a tentativa vale
Feb 15, 2016 Laurie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very short. A quick intro to the author's Five Practices of Mindfulness. The first 3 seem easy to follow, the last 2 for me would be more difficult. The author has written a lot of books about living a better, fuller, more mindful life. Not sure if I'll read any others.
Apr 12, 2016 Dollie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
This was very short, but I think has a very important message. In order to live life to its fullest, one must be paying attention. I want to be mindful and not just doing things automatically. I think this was a good place to start.
Alex Linschoten
Aug 16, 2015 Alex Linschoten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an extract from other books by Thích Nhất Hạnh and it's very short at that, but nevertheless it's a useful reminder.
Oct 04, 2016 ALVIN rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The explaination of the meanings of the sutras were very well presented. Making this a very good entry book for filks whom are interested in this area.
Cecy Covarrubias
Nov 03, 2015 Cecy Covarrubias rated it it was amazing
Excellent book, very simple powerful here and now, practice mindfulness of everything you do. Be kind with your body, mind and other human beings, animals, minerals, do things with love and compassion among various others basic things...isn't this beautiful?!
Mar 27, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I do not ascribe to most of the spiritual parts, there were some good tidbits I pulled from this that will be useful for me on my current path.
Jacqueline Bodnar
Nov 15, 2015 Jacqueline Bodnar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book of his. Always worth reading. It's straight forward with offering advice and guidance on living with mindfulness.
Jun 15, 2014 Seafun77 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A short read, but a great reminder of things important.
Nov 21, 2012 Polina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I was glad to find a summary format book on Thich Nhat Hanh's practice of mindfulness since I want to read a million other things as well as his works, but somehow this brief summary felt really scewed towards business people (perhaps that's the idea behind HarperOne Select) and just didn't leave me with a good impression, nor led me to want to read the full book.
Maryann Moffit
Feb 25, 2014 Maryann Moffit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Simple and practical

It is well written, easy to follow guide for being more mindful. I hope to use these guidelines in days ahead.
Jan 20, 2014 Morgan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the audio version. I'm taking away many new techniques and perspectives.
Sep 03, 2016 Izzie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I pick this because my mind couldnt seem to relax since last year. I like this book and the idea of mindfulness. Its kind a new subject to me, of course. But unfortunately, I have to read this in one sitting because I need to return it back to library. Hahaha. May be I'll borrow it once again, to read it more thoroughly.
I enjoyed the comparison and explanations. The most interesting being the concept not of perfection that is important; the concept of mindfulness and action accordingly be a constant practice. So staying with the practice is more important than perfecting it.
Bernie Gourley
Jul 25, 2015 Bernie Gourley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wisdom
This is very brief work on mindfulness. It mostly talks about five mindfulness exercises. There were a few items of food for thought.
Rebecca Seifert
Nov 19, 2013 Rebecca Seifert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great introduction and simple explanation of mindfulness practice. Would love to learn more.
Listened to the audio version of what I think is this same book
Aug 10, 2016 Vanessa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not very helpful to me. Perhaps my mind is not yet open.
Dec 29, 2014 Butterfly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Life changing book, need to read more by Thich Nhat Hanh
Lisa Celaya
Good but too short. Looking forward to read other titles.
Sep 12, 2013 Jack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Concise, direct, eminently useful.
Short. Simple. Humble.
Nick Foster
Aug 21, 2013 Nick Foster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life changing
Lusi Bartholomeo
Helpful start!
  • The Art of Zen Meditation
  • Super Consciousness: The Quest for the Peak Experience
  • Even You Can Learn Statistics: A Guide for Everyone Who Has Ever Been Afraid of Statistics
  • Purple Squirrel: Stand Out, Land Interviews and Master the Modern Job Market
  • eBay 101: Selling on eBay For Part-time or Full-time Income, Beginner to PowerSeller in 90 Days
  • Wicca Magickal Beginnings - A Study of the Possible Origins of the Rituals and Practices Found in This Modern Tradition of Pagan Witchcraft and Magick
  • The brilliant book of calm: Down to Earth Ideas for Finding Inner Peace in a Chaotic World (52 Brilliant Ideas)
  • How To Declutter Your Home And Your Life: Minimalist Concepts To Help You Start Organizing Today
  • Coyote Medicine: Lessons from Native American Healing
  • Store This! Simple Home Storage Systems & House Organization Solutions
  • From Ramen To Riches: Building Wealth In Your 20s, Or Spending, Saving, Investing And Managing Your Money To Get Rich Slowly, But Surely
  • The Magical Approach: Seth Speaks About the Art of Creative Living
  • Know What You Don't Know: How Great Leaders Prevent Problems Before They Happen
  • Women's Minyan
  • Winning the Clutter War
  • Modern Buddhism: The Path of Compassion and Wisdom - (Volume 2 Tantra)
  • Believe in Yourself
  • The Tao of Psychology: Synchronicity and Self
More about Thich Nhat Hanh...

“According to the Buddha, life is available only in the here and now, the present moment. He said, “The past is already gone, the future is not yet here. There’s only one moment for you to live, and that is the present moment.” If you miss the present moment, you miss your appointment with life.” 5 likes