Start by marking “Strategy Safari: A Guided Tour Through The Wilds of Strategic Management” as Want to Read:
Strategy Safari: A Guided Tour Through The Wilds of Strategic Management

Strategy Safari: A Guided Tour Through The Wilds of Strategic Management

Strategy Safari, the international bestseller on strategy by leading management thinker Henry Mintzberg and his colleagues Bruce Ahlstrand and Joseph Lampel, is widely considered a classic work in the field.

No other book synthesizes the entire history and evolution of strategic management in so lively and entertaining a fashion. Since the initial publication of Strategy

Published June 6th 2005 by Free Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Strategy Safari, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strategy Safari

Tanja Berg
Aug 28, 2014 Tanja Berg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, business
I had expected this book to be more concrete, a sort of strategy cook book. What I got was a short history of the different strategical schools, their development and their short-comings. Certainly useful in order to develop a holistic view, but not so helpful in regards to exactly how to create an implement a strategy. This book has certainly given me a lot to think about. Since some of the material was new and since strategic theory in itself is fairly new to me, it needs time to sink in. The ...more
Dennis Boccippio
Jun 08, 2014 Dennis Boccippio rated it it was amazing
Shelves: management
Outstanding, I'm putting this up there with "the lords of strategy" as one of the more useful surveys of the field (not that there are many), it brings order to chaos, but as the authors note, is appropriately cautious about the allure of false simplicity.

The writing style is fresh and clear, even for a subject which is both dense and ethereal at the same time.

The authors definitely have their preferences among the ten "schools" of strategic management, as evidenced by disproportionate attentio
Murray
May 04, 2010 Murray rated it really liked it
A very well-developed book, based on the review of tons of material. The authors mentioned they may be somewhat biased to certain schools of thought on strategy. It shows, but the coverage of the different approaches and theories and the schools they've grouped them into is generally well-rounded. The coverage of each school share a similar breakdown, including how the theories developed and by whom, examples of studies, key premises, and good and bad points of each school. They also compare and ...more
Erin
Sep 27, 2014 Erin rated it it was ok
Needed an editor. Lots of historical perspective, few true nuggets of wisdom with which to put into practice.
Donovan Richards
Mar 16, 2012 Donovan Richards rated it really liked it
Don’t Mind Me—I’m Just Looking at the Animals

The intrigue of a safari surrounds the possibility of gazing upon diverse wildlife inconceivable in daily life. Whether the lethargic reclining of a hippopotamus or the restless chatter of a primate, one could imagine a simple animistic existence. Acting as a metaphor for the contrasting philosophies of strategic management, Mintzberg, Ahlstrand, and Lampel utilize the safari as an image of the wilds of business management.

Strategy Defined

Strategy S
Mahmoud sahranavard
Feb 24, 2017 Mahmoud sahranavard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: strategy
A fantastic book that every strategist should read. It is a thorough understanding of how strategy thinking is developed over time.
Vince
Mar 08, 2012 Vince rated it really liked it
Mintzberg and company provide a thorough and frequently engaging tour through the main theoretical approaches to strategic planning. The tone and style of this literature review reflect Mintzberg's iconoclastic authorial persona, which I enjoy.

If "literature review" didn't provide sufficient indication, a quick perusal of the 470 pages of main content will convince you this is an academic read. Devoid of case-studies and applications, the text is littered with models, diagrams, breakouts, and ot
E
Mar 08, 2010 E rated it it was amazing
Inside the 10 schools of strategic management

You could read 100 books on corporate strategy and not find any of them as informative or as pleasant as this one. While no one would read a discussion of the core precepts of different corporate strategy schemes for entertainment, this book’s three authors come reasonably close to providing just that. Using a sprinkling of witty quotes and cartoons to spice up their text, Henry Mintzberg, Bruce Ahlstrand and Joseph Lampel explain 10 strategy theories
David
Dec 20, 2007 David rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting to understand Strategy and/or major threads of business thinking
Really enjoying this book. It's a great survey of the how thinking/strategy was done, researched, taught, etc. from about 1950 on. Not totally objective (the authors are *definitely* biased towards one approach, and state so), but a good overview of 10 different "schools of thought."

Very worth reading for the education.
Very worth reading to "find myself" in the list - what schools do I like or hate, what aspects of Strategy / Strategic Thinking am I too strong on, too weak on, too sold on, etc.

I
Nathanael Coyne
This book is essential reading for executives, managers, strategists, analysts and design thinkers. Strategy theory can be a dry topic but this book is easy to read with useful diagrams that help explain the different concepts. It offers an objective overview of all different styles of strategic thinking rather than advocate one particular style.

Read the rest of the review at:
د.أمجد الجنباز
Aug 01, 2014 د.أمجد الجنباز rated it it was amazing
من الكتب الإستراتيجية الصعبة، والتي تتحدث عن المدارس الاستراتيجية المختلفة
وبالنسبة له، وصل لعدد ١٠ مدارس
يقوم بشرحها كل واحدة منها في فصل مختلف ويشرح إيجابياتها وسلبياتها

وهو كتاب مشابه لكتاب
What is strategy and does it matter?

لكنه يعرض عدد أكبر من المدارس بسبب اختياره معايير مختلفة في تسمية المدارس

من الكتب الصعبة والتي تعد كمرجع، والمناسب فيها هو قراءة الفصول الأولى، ثم قراءة المدارس الاستراتيجية التي تحب أن تستزيد فيها
Josh
Jan 19, 2009 Josh is currently reading it
I've learnt a lot from this book, so far. The book is well formed however, people reading this book will have difficulty understanding some sections and theory of the book if they have no understanding of the basics of strategy.
Sheldon
Good information pulled from various sources but I found it a bear to read, not completely sure why. With the depth and various sources that the book pulls from it would/will be a good resource for the bookshelf.
Vincent Darlage
Jan 09, 2012 Vincent Darlage rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
I enjoyed this safari through strategic management. It highlighted a lot of assumptions I never quite understood before, gave me great ideas for fiction, and gave me ideas for courses of action as a PhD learner - and may well inform my dissertation.
Denis Korsunov
Aug 02, 2013 Denis Korsunov rated it liked it
I see this book as a "Strategy bites back v.1". V.2 (actually original "Strategy bites back") develops original idea and becomes a masterpiece. So you can move directly to "Strategy bites back" and lose nothing.
Avanti
Sep 29, 2007 Avanti added it
Recommends it for: Students of Strategic Management
This book is a good reference for strategic management classes. I used this book in my strategic management class, strategy process class, and Organization-Environment Session in my Organization Theory Class.
Edilson
Mar 22, 2016 Edilson rated it it was amazing
Este best seller é uma obra prima no que diz respeito ao estudo da Estratégia. Desde a primeira edição em 1998 até os dias atuais, os conceitos propostos permanecem atuais e esclarecedores. Em suma, um clássico.
Robert Bütof
An important overview of the various ways of strategy making. I would not call the book enlightening, but it is a must-read if you want to understand the broad range of strategic possibilities and where they have their roots.
Eetu Kirsi
Oct 31, 2014 Eetu Kirsi rated it really liked it
Main source for my thesis back in the 2010. Great albeit a tad too long journey through different schools of strategic management established until the publication of the book.

Great workbook for studying strategy.
Roberto
Mar 14, 2014 Roberto rated it it was amazing
Excellent review on different ways to understand, study, and apply strategy. Must read.
Alberto Neto
Aug 22, 2013 Alberto Neto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An essential reading for anyone interested in strategy. It provides a good overview of the strategic thinking as well as interesting case studies and a very good dose of humour.
E. Chainey (Bookowski)
Mar 28, 2015 E. Chainey (Bookowski) rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I didn't think that I will like it, but it was a good and beneficial read. And the cartoons are really good & funny ^^
Pedro
Apr 24, 2012 Pedro rated it it was amazing
A very useful book, particularly in terms of the characterization of the differences between managers styles regarding this subject.
Max Van
May 17, 2012 Max Van rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good overview of the dozen major strategic planning theories assessing their strengths and weaknesses. A valuable introduction for managers, executives, and consultants.
Sebastián Latashen
La biblia del planeamiento estratégico
Monica Meagher
Aug 27, 2014 Monica Meagher rated it liked it
Very academic. Good overview if this is your field of study. Harder to pull useful day to day learnings if you're in the business wold.
Tina
May 06, 2011 Tina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
A lot of schools of thought covered. You'd have to chase up the references to get more in-depth information on any one of them but a useful overview.
Kalle Wescott
Feb 23, 2016 Kalle Wescott rated it it was amazing
Great, comprehensive review.
Paul Niven
Aug 11, 2014 Paul Niven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thorough review of the field of strategic planning that presents ten "schools" of strategic thought. A useful book to familiarize yourself with the field.
Tottoro80
Aug 09, 2010 Tottoro80 rated it really liked it
All in one
  • Competitive Advantage: Creating and Sustaining Superior Performance
  • The Strategy Paradox: Why committing to success leads to failure (and what to do about it)
  • The Balanced Scorecard: Translating Strategy into Action
  • Co-Opetition
  • Competing for the Future
  • The Lords of Strategy: The Secret Intellectual History of the New Corporate World
  • The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook: Strategies and Tools for Building a Learning Organization
  • Organizational Culture and Leadership (The Jossey-Bass Business & Management Series)
  • The Management Myth: Why the Experts Keep Getting it Wrong
  • Exploring Corporate Strategy
  • The New Age of Innovation
  • Hard Facts, Dangerous Half-Truths, and Total Nonsense: Profiting from Evidence-based Management
  • The Age of Unreason
  • Macrowikinomics: Rebooting Business and the World
  • Dialogue: The Art Of Thinking Together

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Professor Henry Mintzberg, OC , OQ , Ph.D. , D.h.c. , FRSC (born September 2, 1939) is an internationally renowned academic and author on business and management. He is currently the Cleghorn Professor of Management Studies at the Desautels Faculty of Management of McGill University in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, where he has been teaching since 1968, after earning his Master's degree in Management ...more
More about Henry Mintzberg...