Nine's Legacy (Lorien Legacies: The Lost Files, #2)

Nine's Legacy (Lorien Legacies: The Lost Files #2)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  6,759 ratings  ·  277 reviews
Number Nine—when John frees him from his cell in the power of six, he's ferocious, reckless, and ready to fight back. But being held captive changes a person—even a Lorien. See what Nine was like before his capture, and read about his dramatic escape from his point of view.
Published February 28th 2012 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Nine's Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nine's Legacy

Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiHana by Lauren OliverGlitches by Marissa MeyerSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
29th out of 458 books — 910 voters
I Am Number Four by Pittacus LoreThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothMy Name Is Rapunzel by K.C. HiltonHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
Great Teen books
10th out of 117 books — 56 voters

More lists with this book...

Magic Tiglao
Reading this book, I have learned the real "Nine". Having the fact that I found him being such a jerk to Four, I judged him too harshly. Now that I've read his part of the story, I can see why he became like that.

It's funny because behind that strong facade of his, lied a very distinct character similar to that of four. Just like Four, his Cepan died because of a stupid decision he made (Choosing to stay because of a girl). Unlike him though, Nine became more mature and reserved. What can we sa...more
Taja Meadows
It was really nice to get Nine's full story. I have a much better understanding of why he is so stoic. I didn't enjoy him very much in The Rise of Nine (which I read before this), but I can now see the reason for many of his attitudes and choices. My impression of him was mirrored by how Four sees him through his narrative.

Nine, in The Rise of Nine, came across as brutish and irresponsible. Until the end, (view spoiler)...more
Andrew Hildreth
I was a little apprehensive about getting into Nine's head. One of things I loved most about his character when introduced in The Power of Six was his mysteriousness. He was awesome from the get-go, and I was nervous to really hear his thoughts.

I must say, I was surprised. Although his story starts off differently than I imagined, it sets his character even more. Who he was at the beginning and who he is now are quite different--and very much in a good way. I liked seeing his character growth o...more
Karmina Santos
I enjoyed this far better than Six's legacy. This is because of 3 reasons. The first reason being it wasn't redundant in a sense. You can read all about six's past and how she got her legacies if you read all 3 of the books already. Even if Six's legacy was compiled in one short story where I could easily connect the dots, I didn't get a fresh perspective on her character. This is unlike Nine's legacy mainly because I got to know Nine better. I finally understood why he was being so mean to Four...more
Michael
I really love these in between books for this series. They give you so much more detail about each member of the Garde then you would get from just reading the book. Number Nine's story is really interesting, getting to know him as a character is awesome. You get to learn exactly how he ended up in the situation he was in with the previous book and it sets up the next book really nicely, which I now can't wait for. His cepan, Sandor was really interesting as well and I loved learning about both...more
Janus Vielle (The Blair Book Project)
From the title itself, we can assume that we’re going to be seeing a snippet on Nine’s life. When the first short story of I Am Number Four: The Lost Files came out, it was about Six. I enjoyed the book but since I’ve already read the Power of Six (Lorien Legacies #2) prior to it, I felt that it was sort of a letdown since I’ve caught a glimpse of it from Power of Six. Now, if I read Six’s Legacy (Lorien Legacies #0.5) first, I probably would’ve been blown away by the story.

Alright, I’m babblin...more
Sharmine Ortiz
I actually intended to read Nine's Legacy after reading The Rise of Nine. Which for a second thought, is wrong. As my friend send me a suggested pattern of reading the IAN4 series, I immediately stopped reading The Rise of Nine and went to Nine's Legacy.

Nine's character in the book The Power of Six is something I find to be interesting. As I've said before, Nine's my crush, of all the Garde.. so far. (I still don't know Five and Eight's gender eh.) As I read Nine's Legacy, I realize that somehow...more
Cristy
Yay!.. Nine’s story!! Having just finished THE POWER OF SIX where we were given a tiny taste of Nine at the very end, I was excited to get to dive into this and I have to say I wasn’t disappointed in the least. I AM NUMBER FOUR: THE LOST FILES: NINE’S LEGACY (The Lorien Legacies #2.5) is a pretty in-depth account of Nine’s history up to his appearance in book #2. He is an interesting character and a welcome addition to the crew in my opinion. .. Although, to be honest my interest was already mor...more
Lyanndra
So I've said before that Nine is one of my favorite characters from The Lorien Legacies and I loved reading about his own struggles before ending up with Four and the rest of the Garde. His situation makes the statement "Boredom can kill you" all too literal. Not to mention the fact that Nine's story is another one of those themed "'Twas Beauty killed the Beast". I think that of all the Garde, so far, Nine had the best Cepan and the better life, and it was a shame that he threw it all away for s...more
Charlene
Hey, I'm now here in the hospital, my Dad was rushed today here in the hosp, he's been diabetic ever since he was 16 years old. He's now on hemo theraphy 3 times a week, dialysis. & today, or should I say everyday, he's getting worst.

Me and my mom just talked abt this situation, we're hell of a sad yeah, not to mention he's near dying. But just have faith. Right?
Anyway.. He's sleeping as of the moment, & we're here in the ER. Waiting for the signal to go upstairs for his room. So I final...more
Charlotte
Expanding my Lorien knowledge even further, I read Nine’s legacy. And whilst I was not as interested in it as Six’s and the books themselves, I still found it interesting. A great insight into Nine’s life before being captured.
image

The story of Nine’s time before being rescued by John and Sam. About their what led them to setting up life in plain sight. The struggles Nine faced whilst in Chicago and the events that led to his capture by the Mogadorians.

I don’t know. For some reason I did not fin...more
Danielle

I have never been a huge fan of Nine. This story gives some explanations to why he is such a jerk. I have enjoyed these short stories that give a little more background on some of the characters. However, I feel like in both cases I am guessing when their Cepan will die.
Austin Martin
I think that this book is awesome because we never really know what the past lives of the Garde before we meet them in the books! I hope that we see more like this for the other members still alive except Four, Six, and Seven.
Abduraafi Andrian
Terkadang, dengan tubuh yang kekar dan seram tidak mengubah apapun. Begitupun dengan Nomor Sembilan.

Aku hanya menikmati ketika Nomor Sembilan bertemu dan diserang oleh Mogadorian, yang sayangnya itu ada di setengah bagian terakhir.

Selebihnya, aku merasa bosan. Ceritanya sungguh datar. Hanya Nomor Sembilan dengan Sandor dan Maddy. Ya, berputar-putar di situ saja. Sepertinya penulis ingin membangun karakter agar lebih mendalam buat mereka bertiga, tapi menurutku gagal.

Semuanya terbayar dengan ceri...more
Virna
This short was less detailed than the one about Six and the two characters felt distant throughout the story and I hardly felt for them. With the way they behaved around each other, it makes wonder how they managed to last that long.
Anyway, I really hope that one of these guardians makes it out alive. I don't see why there's this urgency to kill them off. They are basically parents, after all. Also, Pittacus is making a really annoying pattern with girls ultimately betraying the guy in question...more
Noa
This is the second Lost File in the Lorien Legacies Lost Files; novella/ebook series and extension and back story to the main Lorien Legacies series. These give the depth and character building that the main series at times lacks. I admit it's a little confusing putting these in order with the main series and I think there should be a chronically chart for the entire series. That way you can know what events happen when and who is where at what point in time.

This is told from Nine's point of vi...more
Aparajitabasu
We saw nine in the last Lorien Legacies book, now this is the back story of number nine and how the Mogs arrested him. Presenting Lorien Legacies #2.5 I am Number Four: The Lost Files : Nine's Legacy by Pittacus Lore .

Here is the summary of the book:

Number Nine—when John frees him from his cell in the power of six, he’s ferocious, reckless, and ready to fight back. But being held captive changes a person—even a Lorien. See what Nine was like before his capture, and read about his dramatic escape...more
Jenny
I’m really having a great time reading this series. Well this book is particularly about Nine. The Book was just a short story that I really appreciate. There are no long introductions of what Nine’s life has been. It was well narrated in a simple but complete way on how they lived, what they did to survive and what they did keep hidden from Mogadorians.

After reading the POWER OF SIX (Legacy #2) I’ve been very intrigued in what happened to Nine that lead him to be captured. And who was his Cepan...more
Nicole
Nine's Legacy is a novella that tells the story of Number Nine until he is released from the Mogadorian cave by John. For many years he and his Cepan, Sandor, lived on the run and constantly moving. Eventually, they decide to hide in plain sight and they purchase an expensive penthouse suite in urban Chicago, where they have lived for several years now. They spend their time training and waiting for Nine's legacies to develop. One day while Nine is out for a run, a Mogadorian spots him and follo...more
Gabriel
I think I enjoyed the story of Nine rather than Six's maybe because Six's story is a bit short than Nine's. But I think that's not it. I think Nine's story is far cooler than Six's because he has some certain charm that lures me to read it thoroughly and to concentrate more in his story. He has a better background than Six has maybe because Nine experienced much tragedy that he makes himself stronger than to go crazy about the tragedy and since he was incarcerated for a year he got out with so m...more
Rea
Before Nine was freed by Four from a Mogadorian Base, he lived with his Cepan Sandor in a penthouse in John Hancock Center in Chicago. This book tells about his life before he was captured, the luxury behind the hunting Mogs, his heartbreaking romantic tale first date flavored with treachery and the things at risk for an alien on the run when ruled over by emotions.

I got the better of emotions of losing a Cepan in Nine's perspective than in Four's in I Am Number Four. It was really awful when Ni...more
Kristina
Ever since we first met Nine in The Power of Six, I wanted to know more about him. I was so excited to hear that the next The Lost Files was going to be his story. Nine's Legacy was a very quick read that completely hit the spot. I am now in love with Nine and can't wait to see him again in The Rise of Nine.

When the story starts, Nine is living in Chicago with his CÊpan, Sandor. He's a loner, who spends his days working out and learning about the war and how to defend himself. The Nine we are in...more
W
Mar 31, 2013 W rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013-read
This novella recounts the back story of Number Nine, a member of the Lorien Garde who is in training to fight the Mogodorians.

In whatever dismal corner of the universe the Mogadorians that manage to escape me gather, this day will be discussed in hushed tones as when the annihilation of their race became a certainty.

I’m going to kill them all.

The of all the I Am Number Four stories, this has been one of my favorites. Although Nine may seem like a somewhat shallow character from Four’s perspecti...more
Jamie K
Nine is living in Chicago with his Cepan Sandor. Nine has a lust for killing Mogs, while Sandor loves gadgets, buying them, improving upon things and making new items. As Nine trains with his Cepan he becomes tired of hiding in plain sight - an attitude that eventually leads to his capture. After a year in a Mog prison he is rescued by four and Sam. In the end Four and Nine head out on their journey that left off at the end of The Power of Six.

I found Nine to be a very interesting and complex ch...more
Angelmira
I wanted to give it 5 stars but i changed my mind. Just because all the men thinks with their stupid hormones. I so like Nine in "The power of Six" and now i'm only dissapointed because he did the same mistake as John a.k.a. "im old enough and i will decide what im gonna do and i sure as hell dont want to hear your ideas even if you kept me safe for whole my life on Earth". Maybe i can't understand men logic because im woman. Maybe. Maybe not. But i dont like the feeling when i yell at main char...more
Mirely
Quick recap: In The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies, #2), Four (John) and Sam are at the Mogadorian base trying to find Sam’s father. While there they find Nine, another Lorien Garde, who has been kept in captivity for about a year. This is his story leading up to capture.

I really liked this book. It explains a lot as to why Nine was so eager to fight the Mogs and why he came off cocky at times too. It’s a short, so I can’t really say much. What I will say is that this story never felt light. It f...more
Len
originally posted in Musings of a Reader Happy

For those who have read the second book, The Power of Six , we've met another Lorien who is number Nine. He proved to be a a power to be reckoned with after John released him from his cell. And perhaps like me, you were wondering how come with his intensity he managed to be captured by the Mogadorians? And you've gotten the feeling his was an interesting story. You bet.

Another must read if you're a fan of the series. You will get to know Nine before...more
Rhea Cancio
I can never get enough of the Lorien Legacies. Nine's story is short, but sweet. It gave us a little of everything. Though this wasn't particularly lengthy, I felt connected to Nine and Sandor right away. I even got teary towards the end. I will be sad when this series ends. For now, I am enjoying the ride!
Audrey
This book is awesome! It's amazing! After meeting him in The Power of Six, I've always been curious about what happened to him. About his past and his Cèpan. I wanted to read this book so bad and when I had the chance to buy it from iBooks, I did right away. For those people who really wanna get to know Nine, this is the book for you. Pittacus Lore had done a good job narrating and writing Nine's story. There are a few twists in the end which makes it more interesting. And by the way, I really l...more
Pamela
Excelente libro. Cada Lost Files que leo me deja peor, es que es imposible que no me emocione cuando leo la vida que han vivido estos jovenes, traiciones, penas, soledad y muchas otras cosas. Definitivamente no me gustaría estar en sus zapatos, espero que logren ganar la guerra contra los mogadorianos para que se compense lo que han debido sufrir en esta vida.

Es increible como parte el relato de 9, tan aburrido,buscando algo en que entretenerse de preferencia con gente, confiado en si mismo y d...more
The Readers Club: The Lost Files: What do you think of nine's legacies? 1 2 May 24, 2012 08:55AM
  • Foundation (Razorland, #0.5)
  • Resist (Possession, #0.5)
  • Billy the Kid and the Vampyres of Vegas (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel #5.5)
  • Wolf Pact, Part III (Wolf Pact, #3)
  • Brooke (Under the Never Sky #2.5)
  • Ash's Letter to Meghan (The Iron Fey, #3.6)
  • City of Shadows (TimeRiders, #6)
  • The Shattered Mountain (Fire and Thorns, #0.6)
  • The Staff of Serapis (Percy Jackson & Kane Chronicles Crossover, #2)
  • Isolation (Partials Sequence #0.5)
  • Starcrossed City (Starcrossed #0.5)
  • Breathless (Firelight, #3.5)
  • Portrait of a Marshal: The 2nd Unhidden Story (Starters, #1.25)
  • A Dance with Darkness (Angelfire, #0.5)
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • Undone (Unraveling, #1.5)
  • Annabel (Delirium, #0.5)
  • As They Slip Away (Across the Universe, #2.5)
Pittacus Lore is Lorien's ruling Elder. He has been on Earth for the last twelve years, preparing for the war that will decide Earth's fate. His whereabouts are unknown.
More about Pittacus Lore...
I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1) The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies, #2) The Rise of Nine (Lorien Legacies, #3) The Fall of Five (Lorien Legacies, #4) Six's Legacy (Lorien Legacies: The Lost Files, #1)

“My iPod rumbles again. It's not actually an iPod. It doesn't play any music and the earbuds are just for show. It's a gadget that Sandor put together in his lab.
It's my Mogadorian detector. I call it my iMog.”
41 likes
“There are rules for hiding in plain sight. The first rule, or at least the one that Sandor repeats most often, is “Don’t be stupid.”

I’m about to break that rule by taking off my pants.”
34 likes