Start by marking “John Carter: The World of Mars” as Want to Read:
John Carter: The World of Mars

John Carter: The World of Mars

This is a graphic novel prequel to the new Disney film, John Carter of Mars.
Published February 15th 2012 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about John Carter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about John Carter

Donna
Feb 11, 2012 Donna rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I'm a long time fan of the books, but I wasn't expecting this to match up with them exactly. It's a prequel for the upcoming movie adaptation, giving us background on what John Carter's allies (and enemies) were up to before he arrived on the planet.

The art is great, and I feel like they got at the spirit of the characters fairly well. The details from Burroughs that were changed were interesting.

My only real disappointment was a line that put partial responsibility on Dejah Thoris for the resul
Heather
Feb 08, 2012 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
I liked the drawing style, but the story didn't *quite* fit in with what I'd gained about the culture on Mars from reading the first three John Carter books (A Princess of Mars, Gods of Mars, Warlord of Mars). The Warhoons came off more as gangsters (violent but with soft spots for their mates) and the Tharks as guys who like to fight but are basically friendly. I thought the ending was a bit confusing, too. Probably best to just wait for the movie (which, from the trailers, looks like it's goin ...more
Patty
Feb 19, 2012 Patty rated it liked it
As opposed to Marvel Comics' rather slip-shod adaptions of the books, this was somewhat more pleasant to read...and it's likely due to Peter David's excellent writing capabilities. Because this is set in the world of the upcoming movie...there are definite world differences from Disney's Mars and Burroughs' Mars. This is worth the read if you plan to see the movie or are a fan of the classic books...but I heavily advise staying away from Marvel's own adaptions of Burroughs' books--if you want to ...more
Patricia
May 23, 2012 Patricia rated it really liked it
I read the original Edgar Rice Burroughs John Carter/Mars series in the 1980s & was excited to see a movie being released & some gn adaptations this year. You have to remember how long ago this series was written & times have changed a lot but these stories are timeless. I haven't seen the movie yet but I like this gn very much. There is on other gn released so far. I hope they adapt the whole series- it's a lot of action & fun!
Colin
Jan 27, 2013 Colin rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
If you're a fan of the books and particularly the film, then this is worth a read. You'll get to follow some events leading up to the film and spend a bit more time with some of the characters. The humour and art are both great however it's very short and ultimately a bit superficial and superfluous. Nonetheless I enjoyed it.
Mike Thomas
Mar 05, 2012 Mike Thomas rated it it was amazing
This is a great graphic novel, the story is nothing to do with the books, as it is the prequel to the upcoming film, but it is a very good story, with good characterisation. The artwork is much better than in the princess of mars, but that is because its drawn in the style of the film. Looking forward to the film, this graphic novel is excellent, worth a read.....
Charles
Feb 12, 2012 Charles rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
In contrast to the other graphic novel I just read, "John Carter: A Princess of Mars," this one had very clear, clean art, and a good solid story. Even though it was a "new" story, not a retelling of anything by ERB, I thought it fit the tone of ERB's work pretty well and captured the sense of the John Carter stories.
Sachin Dev
Jun 15, 2013 Sachin Dev rated it it was ok
More of a hack job to gobble up the pre release publicity popularity wave of the more successful Disney movie franchise.
You are better off sticking to the delightfully original set of novellas about Barsoom by Edgar rise Burroughs.
Victor Orozco
Aug 06, 2013 Victor Orozco rated it liked it
An okay story. Nice artwork could have been better. Interesting premise in finding out how Sab Than became Jeddak. C+
Patrick
Patrick rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2014
Bluestockingir♐
Bluestockingir♐ rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2016
Gabino
Gabino rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2012
Cindy
Cindy rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2012
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2012
Eric Reitz
Eric Reitz rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2014
Ian
Sep 21, 2013 Ian rated it did not like it
Peter David writes exposition! Also, pictures!
Lance
Lance rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2014
Rick
Rick rated it it was ok
Aug 09, 2016
Michael Dulock
Michael Dulock rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2015
Gary
Gary rated it it was ok
Nov 07, 2013
Rodolfo
Rodolfo rated it it was ok
Sep 21, 2012
Patrick Nottingham
Patrick Nottingham rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2012
Mint
Mint rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Wraith Tate
Wraith Tate rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2013
Michael Hoskin
Michael Hoskin rated it it was ok
Feb 28, 2013
Jack Holt
Jack Holt rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2015
Sally
Sally rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2012
Corey Timmins
Corey Timmins rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2015
Alicia
Mar 21, 2015 Alicia rated it liked it
Fine. Not amazing. Plot is predictable, art is good.
Gregory
Gregory rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2014
aka David Peters

Peter Allen David (often abbreviated PAD) is an American writer, best known for his work in comic books and Star Trek novels. David often jokingly describes his occupation as "Writer of Stuff". David is noted for his prolific writing, characterized by its mingling of real world issues with humor and references to popular culture. He also uses metafiction frequently, usually to hum
More about Peter David...