Start by marking “Fire & Ash (Rot & Ruin, #4)” as Want to Read:
Fire & Ash (Rot & Ruin, #4)

Fire & Ash (Rot & Ruin #4)

4.36  ·  Rating Details ·  5,684 Ratings  ·  639 Reviews
In the gripping conclusion to the action-packed standard bearer (Booklist) of zombie series, the threat of death is given new life.

Benny Imura and his friends have found the jet and Sanctuary, but neither is what they expected. Instead of a refuge, Sanctuary is a hospice, and the soldiers who flew the plane seem to be little more than bureaucrats who have given up hope for
Published August 13th 2013 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Fire & Ash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire & Ash

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareLover at Last by J.R. WardRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
2,503 books — 12,385 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Elite by Kiera Cass
YA Novels of 2013
1,519 books — 10,983 voters

More lists with this book...

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Benny waited, his whole body tensing for the argument, the outrage, the refusal that he knew was coming. The ranger looked past him at the three fierce girls on the other side of the trench. Then he turned and looked at the zoms, who were less than a quarter mile away. Finally he looked down at the torn piece of paper in his hand.

"You're doing all of this because of your friend? Because of that Chong kid?"

"I'm doing this because this is our world too. You don't have a right to shut us out of t
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Now is the time when I wish I had a better gift of writing to express my thoughts on these books. I do not understand why they are not more popular than they are because yep I'm gonna say it. These are my new favorite series of all times. Next to Lonesome Dove. I am a stingy bitch when it comes to giving books five stars. The book has to blow me out of the water. Guess what? This did it.
5 teenagers. Yes teenagers are out to save the world. Some of the better characters I've ever seen in books.
Yo
Christina
Aug 28, 2013 Christina rated it it was amazing

And this is how you end a series (yes I'm talking to you Charlaine Harris).

So, how shall I sum up the whole Benny Imura series? I'll let Maberry do that himself:

...nothing was more dangerous than living men. p241

Fire & Ash is a worthy ending to a very good series. And as it turns out, this series may actually be longer than I thought... but I don't want to ruin any surprises so I'll just leave you with that little teaser. You can read the series and decide for yourself.

The final book in the
The Holy Terror
Some things bugged me and if I didn't love this series as a whole I'd probably dock another star. This was a great ride though.
Dana

“It's just that I'm fifteen, and I have this crazy idea I might actually have a life in front of me. I don't see how it's going to do me much good to believe that the world is over and this is just an epilogue.”
― Jonathan Maberry, Rot and Ruin

Not sure how I feel about this installment. I think that the plot was intriguing but the pace dragged a little too much for my liking. I normally love big books but this one actually felt long if you get what I mean. I may be a little unfair in my critic
Paige  Bookdragon
This is it lovers.

description

description

I'm a little sad when I finished this series. To be totally honest, even though Jonathan Maberry irked me a little because he killed Tom Imura, this series one of the good ones. The type that you can't sleep because you just finished the book and you didn't buy the sequel so you're wondering and suffering what will happen next?

This is it.

The ending is okay (I guess). I'm at peace with Benny and Nix's change of relationship and Chong and Lilah are two thumbs up for me.

The last
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
I love the Rot & Ruin series by Jonathan Maberry! The only exception would be Tom, and that is all I'm going to say on that one.

These new zombies in this book are freakin scary! I mean if all of the zombies were like those I don't think there would be much left on the planet for them to eat!

I was so happy that Joe played a big part in this book. I have been wanting to get a hold of that series as well. Now that I have a crush on him, I'm guessing I need to get them all up to date :) OH and
Lazybee
Feb 28, 2015 Lazybee rated it really liked it
An epic conclusion to the much coveted Benny imura series. The only star left is for Tom.

There was action, adventure, romance, suspense, zombies, what more could you possibly want. If you want more then you are in the wrong place. Get out of YA category. And one more there is an epic friendzoning( it's a suspense). Although not awesome as Tom, ledger fills the role neatly.

As whole, the book was awesome.
Kat
Feb 25, 2013 Kat rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zombie, ya, 2013-reads
Straight after finishing the third book in the Benny Imura series, Flesh and Bone, I started reading Fire and Ash. It's quite rare that I binge read a series anymore - blogging tends to make it a bit too much of a balancing act, but once I had the momentum going, I really wanted to find out how this series ends.

As with the other books, Fire and Ash picks up pretty much immediately where the prior book left off. Benny, Lilah, Nix and their new friends, Riot, Eve and Joe, have found Sanctuary, whe
Marc Williams
Aug 24, 2013 Marc Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This book was so good, and so much better than the third book in the series that Flesh and Bone actually seems better in reflection.

Everything that I have complained about with this series in the past was not only fixed in this final installment -- it was proven to be intentional. What I thought was a lack of character development was actually character development so slow and gradual and deliberate that I could not even recognize it was taking place until it clicked in this book.

What I though
Janie Johnson
Ok so this installment was by far my favorite one, and also the end of the series. What a journey this has been through a dramatic zombie apocalypse. And so very thought provoking! I think that Jonathan Maberry did an amazing job constructing the world, the premise, antagonists, and the protagonists. I really could not put this book down. It wrapped the series up nicely. I am also somewhat sad that the series has come to a close, but at the same time I applaud Maberry for knowing it was time to ...more
Jason
Sep 06, 2013 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2014
4 Stars

This is a series that is the perfect read for the young adult crowd, and adults as we'll. This is the final book in the series and is a great conclusion to the tale. Maberry is one of my favorite authors and one to not be missed.
Jen
Aug 18, 2013 Jen rated it it was amazing
This was an incredibly satisfying ending to a series with characters I have grown to love; it's sad to have to say goodbye to some of them for sure.

What I have loved most about this series is that it's a fantastic "gateway" book for my reluctant boy readers; I have hooked several boys over the years with Rot & Ruin which leads them to the other books in the series and then others past that. This is not to say that girls don't enjoy this as well-- it's successful with almost anyone I can get
Melanie
When I first started the Rot and Ruin series I wasn't sure I would like the book. I hadn't read a lot of books with zombies in them. But this series isn't just a book about zombies, it's about the characters inside of it also. Fire and Ash is an amazing conclusion to the series, it's by far the bet series I've read since the Hunger Games.

Each character is amazing and well thought out. Benny is the main character, when we were first introduced to him he was self-centered and immature. But through
Jodi Papazian
Aug 28, 2013 Jodi Papazian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-reads
This was an exceptional end to what has become one of my favorite YA series. Jonathan Maberry excels at keeping readers on the edge of their seats. There were many points throughout this book when my stomach was in knots wondering what was going to happen. I could not read fast enough trying to get to the end. I won't get in to a lot of details because I wouldn't want to spoil what is sure to be a highly enjoyable read for others. I will say that Jonathan Maberry created wonderful characters wh ...more
Alondra
Jul 25, 2012 Alondra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone with a pulse...or not
5 Stars

A great ending to a great series. I am not sure how I feel about this story ending; not visiting with these characters anymore, except in a reread; and not knowing what the future holds for Benny and his friends.

As I have said so many times; this series is not about the zombies; it is about us. It is about human nature in the face of great adversity. Do we fight, run, or allow it to swallow us whole? How many would give up and how many would try and find that plane?

Entertaining, funny, t
Tommy Hancock
Oct 17, 2015 Tommy Hancock rated it really liked it
Not quite as good as the first two books, all and all, but it was a very good ending to a very good series. So glad I read this series.

Highly recommending to fans of The Walking Dead. Also for people who don't read/watch much zombie stuff and want a way in that's a bit different than the average zombie tale.
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Leave it to a bunch of teenagers to save the world!! I loved this last book. It wrapped up this series quite well. I wasn't sure if I would like this at first or not, but it grabs a hold of you from the first book. Excellent writing, great story building and characters are some better ones I have come across in a series. Good job indeed!!!
Raul
Aug 20, 2015 Raul rated it it was amazing
My favorite YA series to date!! Maberry is king!!! Even though it had a slower pacing at the beginning that ending more than made up for it!! EPIC!!!
Wendy F
Shadows and blood. And monsters.

So... I guess you have to ask yourself, young samurai, how far would you be willing to go to stop Saint John if he was coming after you and yours? How scary are you willing to be in order to take the heart out of the enemy? Are you willing to be the monster in the dark? Are you willing to be the boogeyman of their nightmares? If you can look inside your own head and see the line that you won't cross, the limit that's too far, then I can guarantee you Saint John
Chris
Aug 22, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing
This is the final book in a YA series called "Rot & Ruin" by Jonathan Maberry. I think its a great series of books to start a kid reading for pleasure. As suggested by the title, the series is part of the currently trendy "Zombie Genre" but this a cut above the rest. Maberry manages to tell a scary, action-packed, post-apocalyptic, zombie story WITHOUT gratuitous violence, foul language and utter gross outs (but again it is a zombie book so there is a little gore) like I said perfect for a y ...more
Mary Grace Nakao
Dec 18, 2013 Mary Grace Nakao rated it liked it
3 Stars because the whole series was a total letdown. I expected so much from it but it failed to deliver.
Though the last few chapters were great, I still couldnt believe it took me 3 months to finish it. And i even stopped right at the middle. I simply couldn't bring myself to finish it right away.

Probably not my cup of tea :(

(I bought all books before reading the first one so I have no choice but to finish them. Ugh, I should really stop hoarding books D: )
~Tina~
Jul 18, 2012 ~Tina~ rated it really liked it
Fire & Ash is the heart-stopping, gripping and touching conclusion to a fascinating and desperate story of surviving against monstrous odds.
Jonathan Maberry turned a book about Zombies into an inspiring and emotional journey with flesh and blood characters that will fight till the bitter end. This is one series that I won't soon forget.
Masterfully done!
Martin
May 13, 2014 Martin rated it really liked it
Stephanie Scott
Jul 03, 2013 Stephanie Scott rated it it was amazing
n the gripping conclusion to the action-packed "standard bearer" (Booklist) of zombie series, the threat of death is given new life.
Benny Imura and his friends have found the jet and Sanctuary-but neither is what they expected. Instead of a refuge, Sanctuary is a hospice, and the soldiers who flew the plane seem to be little more than bureaucrats who have given up hope for humanity''s future. With Chong hovering between life and death, clinging to his humanity by a thread, Benny makes a startlin
Jennifer Lavoie
Aug 23, 2013 Jennifer Lavoie rated it it was amazing
Okay, so it's been a few days and I'm well rested enough to write a review for this EPIC. AMAZING. FANTASTIC end to the Benny Imura series that started with Rot and Ruin.

This book has so much going on it will leave your head spinning. If you're a fan of the first books, this one is by far the best, and you will not want to put it down. I know I didn't. I even had students argue over who got to read it first, second, and third.

And I'll also add that by the end of the book, especially part five,
Nina O'Daniels
Oct 01, 2013 Nina O'Daniels rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s tough growing up. It is even tougher growing up in a world plagued by zombies and by the evils of men who are more of a threat than the zombies. But Chong, Lilah, Nix, Benny, and Morgie- the last of Tom Imura’s samurais- do just that. They do it with skill, pride, fear, brains, love, loyalty, and above all, the belief that the world has to be better than this.

The conclusion to this series is very satisfying but somewhat rushed (not that I minded). The search for a cure (Chong is still infec
Sep 16, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies
I completely inhaled each and every one of the books in the Benny Imura quartet. And this was a fitting end to the series ... or is it the end? Hmmm ... best you judge for yourself until Mr. Maberry lets us know for sure!

As with the previous editions in the series, the action kept coming. I could literally feel the swords swooshing by me. The explanation of the Reaper Plague? Well, I admit that the science went over my head - but it did have me thinking, "Wonder what a techy would say about this
R.S. Carter
4.5 big, bloody, samurai stars

This is it. The end of the Imura brothers' adventures; the last book in the series. I wish it wasn't.

As with the previous books, the stumbling and slow zombies aren't the most dangerous things out there. People are. Although Gameland was officially closed, Saint John and his army of reapers were out there. And something else - fast zombies. Like Hollywood's version of WWZ fast. The threat is intensified.

The end? A complete and literal bloodbath. Twice over. The dea
Cindy
May 07, 2014 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine a world where your children as young as 11 or 12 years old are forced to basically fight or die. Of course they could stay behind the "protected" areas with fences and guards, but eventually the integrity of these defenses would be compromised. What I loved about this series, and especially this last book, was the level of development in maturity of these kids. They were clever and showed a determination to take back the world at any cost. They fight through the fear with more courage th ...more
David Estes Fans ...: Fire and Ash Buddy Read 60 72 Oct 27, 2015 07:26PM
Mrs. Eriksson's S...: Fire and Ash 2 3 Sep 06, 2014 08:47AM
RE: red powder 2 30 Sep 10, 2013 09:56PM
  • Siege  (As The World Dies, #3)
  • Rise Again Below Zero (Rise Again, #2)
  • Mutated  (Dead World, #4)
  • Sadie Walker is Stranded (Zombie, #2)
  • Countdown (Newsflesh Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Horizon (Aftertime, #3)
  • Dead Living
  • Last Stand of the Dead (White Flag of the Dead, #6)
  • 21st Century Dead
  • The Zombie Whisperer (Living with the Dead, #4)
  • Sunrise (Ashfall, #3)
  • Monsters (Ashes Trilogy, #3)
  • The Sacrifice (The Enemy #4)
  • Unfed (Undead, #2)
  • For the Fallen (Zombie Fallout #7)
JONATHAN MABERRY is a New York Times best-selling and multiple Bram Stoker Award-winning horror and thriller author, magazine feature writer, playwright, content creator and writing teacher/lecturer. His books have been sold to more than a dozen countries.

His novels include the Pine Deep Trilogy: GHOST ROAD BLUES (Pinnacle books; winner of the Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel in 2006), DEAD
More about Jonathan Maberry...

Rot & Ruin (9 books)
  • Rot & Ruin (Rot & Ruin, #1)
  • Dust & Decay (Rot & Ruin, #2)
  • Flesh & Bone (Rot & Ruin, #3)
  • Rot & Ruin Warrior Smart #1 (#1 of 5)
  • Bits & Pieces (Rot & Ruin, #5)
  • Broken Lands (Rot & Ruin #6)
  • Lost Roads (Rot & Ruin #7)
  • A Fantastic Holiday Season: Volume 2 - The Gift of Stories

“Quick-Draw Carl, who still wore the broad-brimmed brown hat of his legendary dad, Sheriff Rick.” 13 likes
“Sometimes there aren't words, Benny knew. Sometimes there are hurts so deep that they exist in a country that has no spoken language, a place where all landscapes are blighted and no sun ever shines. Benny had left his footprints in the dust of that place.” 10 likes