Start by marking “Disraeli” as Want to Read:
Disraeli

Disraeli

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  139 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Great biography of Disraeli by the distinguished French author Andre Maurois.
Paperback, Time Reading Program, 369 pages
Published 1965 by Time Life Books (first published January 1st 1927)

To ask other readers questions about Disraeli, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disraeli

hope mohammed
يتحدث عن رئيس الوزراء بنيامين دزرائيلي السابق ايام ملكة بريطانيا العظمى فيكتوريا بدءا من حكاية جده مرورا بوالده المثقف وصولا اليه والذي كان بالمناسبة الى جانب طموحه السياسي كاتبا وأديبا عرف بخطبه المنمقه والبلاغية ...
ترأس حزب المحافظين ..
الكتاب فيه جوانب جميلة ولكن ايضا فيه بعص الصفحات الممله ..
علاقته بزوجته كانت مثالا جميلا للحب والعطف المتبتدل حتى انه قال عنها عشت ثلاثين سنة ولم يعكر صفو حياتنا مشاكل "

الترجمة ليست سيئة لكنها ليست بتلك الجودة ..
Lee Ann
Jun 24, 2009 Lee Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
This was a fascinating read. It's a novelistic biography. No one volume could really do Disraeli justice. AM gives a vivid sense of Dizzy's romantic nature, idealistic mind and practical intelligence. I hated the lack of dates in the text. This made it difficult to get a real sense of Dizzy's development. I also kept losing track of where we were in time. AM tracks his subject more through his developing principles than through chronology. AM shows Dizzy's political success and the ideals behind ...more
Tony
Jun 27, 2012 Tony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
DISRAELI: A Picture of the Victorian Age. (1927). Andre Maurois. *****.
This is an excellent biography of Benjamin Disraeli (1804-1881) written for the average reader. Maurois (1885-1967) was a prolific French writer – primarily of biographies, and published over two dozen books during his lifetime. His real name was Emile Herzog, but he couldn’t use it because of a regulation that existed when his first book came out. At the time, he was in the military and members of the military could not pub
srdjan
Jan 13, 2009 srdjan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"In particular he shared with the Oriental that double sentiment of a desire for the good things of this world and a perception of their hollow emptiness"

The transition from "Forti nihil difficle" to "never explain, never complain"

"Perhaps and probably I ought to be pleased. I can only tell you that truth... I am wearied to extinction and profoundly unhappy... I do not think there is realy any person much unhappier than I am, and not fantastically so. Fortune, fashion, fame, even power, may incr
Christina
May 02, 2011 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I bought this book is a secondhand shop because, I've always wanted to know more about this original dandy/statesman, and more importantly because it was bound in beautiful emerald cloth. I was not disappointed.

Maurois takes very liberal poetic license in retelling the life of Disraeli, which could not be more fitting. Needless to say, my margins are full of penciled notes and stars, and I plan on wearing primroses in my button hole come April.
Chuck Heikkinen
Jun 11, 2013 Chuck Heikkinen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was curious to read about this man I'd heard of, but knew nothing. The book traces the turbulent rise of Benjamin Disraeli to become Prime Minister of England and confidant of Queen Victoria. It gives an excellent view of politics in all its hurly-burly but focuses more on the man Disraeli rather than on the politics in which the man was such an accomplished participant. This is a very sympathetic biography, well-written and insightful.
Nick
Mar 21, 2008 Nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, book-club
Disraeli and Gladstone have long been fixed in mind as iconographic rivals of British politics during the reign of Queen Victoria, but this brief, impressionistic biography by Andre Maurois gave me some sense of both men's characters. It is not long on chronology or specific facts, but it does portray Disraeli very sympathetically and as a human being rather than just a political figure.
Tania
Aug 03, 2014 Tania rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
I didn't expect to be inspired... But it was a good read.
Mercedes
Jun 08, 2012 Mercedes rated it liked it
Although not as comprehensive as one would expect from the life of an important British politician, one does get to know some about his personality and the trials this man overcame to succeed in a very hostile environment. Nicely written, though somewhat romantic, but that is par for biographies dating to the 1920's. Worth a read, mainly as an introduction to Disraeli.
Linda
Mar 21, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the Time-Life Books published as a subcription in the 1980's that is known as the Time Reading Program. I read it in 1980 or 1981 and remember thinking what a strange name for a British Prime Minister! It was very good and one of may favorites of the series.
Francisco González
Una lectura deliciosa. Maurois consigue transmitir la compleja personalidad de Disraeli y su evolución a través del tiempo.
Rebecca
Jan 05, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Despite being a translation, the book is engaging, with just enough wit and bon mots to make reading it a pleasure.
Uncle Duke
"Do not complain ... and never explain" - the Disraeli code will always remain pertinent to ANY situation.
Gregory
Sep 02, 2008 Gregory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a true testament of what can be accomplished in spite of extraordinary odds.
Bruce Deming
Nov 23, 2012 Bruce Deming rated it liked it
I found this book interesting but it has been years it would deserve a reread to be fair to it.
Hadrian
Flowery and well-written biography of Disraeli, the dandy/prime minister.
Jorge Romero
Jan 16, 2013 Jorge Romero rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me hizo reflexionar acerca de la vida, bastantes emociones...
Arthur
Aug 28, 2008 Arthur marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
A history of Victorian England and of Disraeli's life.
Alexa Burks
Alexa Burks marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Ayşe Kevser Arslan
Ayşe Kevser Arslan marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Zsa Zsa
Zsa Zsa marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Michael Dowling
Michael Dowling marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Janice Curtis
Janice Curtis rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2016
Cristina Darabut
Cristina Darabut marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Pequeniosaltamontes
Pequeniosaltamontes marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Bryan
Bryan added it
Mar 19, 2016
صفوان المدني
صفوان المدني marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
01737622490 marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Waeinks
Waeinks marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
  • The Life and Writings of Abraham Lincoln
  • The Reason Why: The Story of the Fatal Charge of the Light Brigade
  • Wolf: The Lives of Jack London
  • A Long Short War: The Postponed Liberation of Iraq
  • The Last Plantagenets (The Plantagenets, #4)
  • The Heat Death of the Universe and Other Stories
  • Kabloona
  • Conversations Of Goethe
André Maurois, born Emile Salomon Wilhelm Herzog, was a French author. André Maurois was a pseudonym that became his legal name in 1947.

André Maurois is very famous writer in Russia (he is known there as Andre Morua). Many of his books are translated to Russian.

During World War I he joined the French army and served as an interpreter and later a liaison officer to the British army. His first novel
More about André Maurois...

“One might have said that reason made him flee from reason.” 3 likes