Start by marking “A Turnkey or Not?” as Want to Read:
A Turnkey or Not?

Read Excerpt

A Turnkey or Not?

A chance meeting on holiday in Majorca changed Tony Levy s life forever and launched him into a 25-year career in a job that he never would ve considered previously: working in Her Majesty s Prison Service. This book catalogues Tony s personal experiences of working as a prison officer, from his early days at high-security HMP Pentonville to his final years in ...more
Published December 9th 2011 by Apex Publishing Ltd, Essex (first published November 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Turnkey or Not?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Turnkey or Not?

Tony Levy
Aug 25, 2016 Tony Levy rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Tony Levy, with A Turnkey or Not? has written a sometimes amusing, sometimes shocking and overall interesting book about his actual life as a prison guard. He lets us see what life is like for the guards and prisoners, some things that have changed for the better, and of course, human nature being what it is, there is always someone trying to take advantage of any situation.

This book covers Tony's career and experiences. Some of the people he met and the things he had to do as a prison guard, or
Kell
Jan 30, 2012 Kell rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of frank, humorous autobiographies
Recommended to Kell by: Review requested by author
A Turnkey Or Not? is a humorous and frank autobiography by an ex-prison officer. As my Dad has been a prison officer in the Scottish Prison Service for 25 years, I thought I might find it interesting… and I was right! It’s an insightful, often surprising look at life on the outside of the bars, but inside the prison system and I loved it!

Levy’s professional life has been filled with quirky characters (and I actually feel he is one of them!) and his anecdotes are, more often than not, touched wit
Jacinta
Jul 04, 2012 Jacinta rated it it was amazing
This is Tony Levy's first book, it's an autobiography of his twenty -five year career serving in Her Majesty's Prison Service. A wart and all revelation of what really goes on behind the closed door of the UK's penal establishments. The book charts his early career from 4 July 1993 until his subsequent disillusionment of the service and his eventual early retirement.
The book is filled with amusing incidents and anecdotes in his early days through through his promotions, running the London Marat
Greg Harris
May 01, 2012 Greg Harris rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everybody
Recommended to Greg by: Amazon
This is a must read for everybody not just those actually involved in the Criminal Justice System of the United Kingdom.

It reveals to one and all that prison officers are everyday people doing a job most would never consider. It gives great insight and heartfelt admissions to how the service was run and how politics have evolved to be the major factor in the running of our penal establishments.
Tony gives his honest feelings about how he felt working within this very intimidating environment. Th
John
Jul 18, 2013 John rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: autobiographies
Quite enjoyed reading this book. As somebody that can only imagine what it must have been like to be in Mr Levy’s shoes, this book does offer an insight into the prison service as it was and it is now.

Levy writes almost as though he was sat next to you talking over a pint in the local pub. The result is a book that is easy to follow and judging by some of the stories here quite funny at times too.

Members of the prison service would probably get the most out of this book but I think that anyone c
Calla Diamond
Feb 16, 2014 Calla Diamond rated it really liked it
A really good read that took me on an emotional rollercoaster. A brilliant insight into the trappings of a prison officer, and prisoners alike. One of the great things was the humour (a little dark, but I love dark humour). It was informative, easy to read, and interesting. I'm a big fan of non-fiction work and this was no exception.
Elaine Barlow
May 02, 2012 Elaine Barlow rated it it was amazing
This book was a joy to read. Lots of interesting facts but put into easy to read terms. The book was full of light humour which I am sure must reflect the writer of this book . This is the authors first book and is a credit to him . Mr levy shod seriously consider writing another.
Paul
Jul 01, 2012 Paul rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly good read!!
Masquerade Crew
Apr 25, 2013 Masquerade Crew rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
ROY'S REVIEW

The memoirs of an English prison warden, pure and simple. The author joined Her Majesty’s Prison Service in 1983 and served for 25 years in a number of establishments before taking early requirement.

The title of the book is interesting in itself. ‘Turnkey’ is an archaic word for jailer, from the days that a prisoner was afforded little or nothing in the way of consideration or care until – if they were lucky, they were freed. Throughout his book the author considers the balance neces
Tony Levy
Feb 28, 2014 Tony Levy rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition

Valerie Caraotta
Apr 25, 2014 Valerie Caraotta rated it it was amazing
This book by Tony Levy is very transparent and forthright in explaining the 25 year career journey he served as a Prison Officer and the changes the system went through as well as how it affected him personally. It would have never been the direction he chose had he not met up on vacation with a couple that suggested he explore this route.

Throughout his career, from young and naive to seasoned and mature, he would endure daily stresses but the dignity and care extended toward prisoners would ear
Linda Renna
Mar 04, 2014 Linda Renna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very, very interesting book. Very deep and truly a book I would recommend to my friends. Looking forward to the author next book.
Esther
Esther rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2012
Hilary West
Hilary West rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2013
Phoenix James
Phoenix James rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2014
M.J. Webb
M.J. Webb rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2014
Phoenix James
Phoenix James rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2013
Tony Levy
Jun 14, 2014 Tony Levy rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Roy Huff
Roy Huff rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2013
Linda Renna
Linda Renna rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2014
Christine
Christine rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2012
Tony Levy
Tony Levy rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2012
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2012
Gail Parson
Gail Parson marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2012
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2012
Wendy Unsworth
Wendy Unsworth marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2012
Steven Harbin
Steven Harbin marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2012
Jeannie Walker
Jeannie Walker marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2012
Doug DePew
Doug DePew marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2012
Rick F.
Rick F. marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2012
Alecia
Alecia marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2012
Victoria Ward
Victoria Ward marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2012
Melora Nivienne
Melora Nivienne marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2012
Robert Shaw
Robert Shaw marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2012
Mark Alan
Mark Alan marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2013
Estelle Wilkinson
Estelle Wilkinson marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2013
D.J.
D.J. marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2013
Fern
Fern marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2013
Roy Huff
Roy Huff marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2013
Helle Madsen
Helle Madsen marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2013
P.l. Anne
P.l. Anne marked it as to-read
May 01, 2013
Kindle Alexander
Kindle Alexander marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2013
Katsura Katsura
Katsura Katsura marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2013
Susan Tarr
Susan Tarr marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2013
Dianah Cloer
Dianah Cloer marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2013
Dianah Cloer
Dianah Cloer marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2013
Sondra
Sondra marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Sheral Downham
Sheral Downham marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Have your read this book 3 7 Sep 24, 2014 02:33PM
Goodreads Authors...: On your 'to read' but have you actually read it? 35 83 Mar 28, 2014 10:15AM
This is my first ever book to be published.
It's an autobiography of my twenty -five year career serving in Her Majesty's Prison Service. It’s A warts and all revelation of what really goes on behind the closed door of the UK's penal establishments. The book charts my early career from 4 July 1993 until my subsequent disillusionment of the service and my eventual early retirement.
A chance meeting