Start by marking “Different Spheres” as Want to Read:
Different Spheres

Different Spheres

Gil Donaldson returned to his hometown of Boulder, Colorado, after a diagnosis of multiple sclerosis cut short his teaching career and his love life on the East Coast. Waking one morning to find that his vision has gone blurry, which makes driving himself to the hospital out of the question, Gil solicits the help of his slightly-reclusive neighbor, Warren Masters, to take ...more
Published February 22nd 2012 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Different Spheres, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Different Spheres

Ami
Feb 22, 2012 Ami rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-short-stories
Oh, I want to HUG this book *sigh*. I love it for these reasons:

1) It features a 'minority' sub-group in M/M romance. Gil Donaldson suffers from multiple sclerosis (MS). It adds nuance to the story. It's great not to have someone who's perfect (as it comes often in other stories).

2) Both Gil and Warren (his kind neighbour) are in the 'later' side of age. Not THAT old, but Gil is 44 years old single man (having his partner left him seven years ago after he was diagnosed with the disease) while Wa
Bev

Another little Cari Z novella...all my stalking of the author's previous work is paying off in leaps and bounds!! 4.5 stars

This little novella features Gil an academic, whose teaching career has been cut short by MS. His old lover left him as soon as the disease was diagnosed, so Gil has been quietly going about his business as best he can....unfortunately, the disease is getting stronger, and Gil is having great difficulty in doing the everyday things that you and I take for granted, some days
Meep
There were so many reasons for me to love this, I wanted to love it, actually feel bad that I couldn't. Older characters; one mid-fourties the other I believe early fifties. Building friendship rather than insta-insta. And instead of typical characterisation, the main character has MS.

Cari Z. appears to have researched MS, it's well written. But perhaps limited by the short-story format neglected the building friendship. I didn't want to read that their meeting became a habit or after ten days o
Lucy
Feb 25, 2012 Lucy rated it really liked it
Reviewed for heartsonfirereviews.com

Poor Gil. Ten years ago he was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, and when he has a relapse, he calls his sister Tally. When this relapse occurs, complete with double vision, Tally is on her first child-free, non-work related vacation with her husband. There is no way Gil is going to bother her. So, he goes next door to Warren’s house, his new (for six months) neighbor to get a ride to the hospital. Warren not only drives him to the hospital, he checks him in,
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
For such a short book, this story holds a lot of punch.

I enjoyed this story because of how it was told. Gil is in need of help and Warren is more than willing to give it and more. I liked the way Gil was not ashamed to ask for help and I liked the way Warren was not affected or disgusted by Gil's illness.

Their relationship is sweet in the sense it slowly blossoms. They start out as neighbors then turn to friends then turn to lovers who are more than willing to put up with each other's faults.
UltraMeital
Jul 19, 2015 UltraMeital rated it it was amazing
5 stars are NOT enough for this sweet, funny, heart warming short novella. I"m not sure what I expected but what I got, from the start is the very clever and funny POV of Gil, who have been diagnosed with MS (Multiple Sclerosis) and have been struggling with the growing effects it has on him after managing the illness for the past 7 years.

As much as Gil is depressed with the situation he is in, and as much as it is heart breaking, the way he sees everything around him, how he describes everythi
Katharina
Jul 10, 2013 Katharina rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Aaaand another short story by Cari Z. that I loved!!

This one is about Gil, professor for writing and poetics, and you notice his love for words in every sentence. It's his perspective we get and because of that the vocabulary, the imagery, and the phrasings are colourful, complex, dictionary-worthy, and adorably fitting. I love it when you can feel a character in the way a story is written and Gil's character is a fundamental part of every aspect here.

Gil has multiple sclerosis and after a rel
Becky Condit
Mar 16, 2012 Becky Condit rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars!

Cari Z’s DIFFERENT SPHERES is what a short story should be: a complete story, with well-developed characters, a plot that flows, begins at the beginning and ends as it should. There is a special talent for writing short stories and Ms Z has that talent in spades.
I loved this little story and recommend it to anyone who is unafraid to read about people falling in love who are not perfect, not young, not beautiful, but have little to lose by trying.

Please see my complete review at http:
Chris
Jan 25, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, gay, done, short, ebook, 2012
Very good short m/m romance about a professor who has MS and needs to ask his next-door neighbor for a ride to the hospital when he has a relapse.
Sadonna
Mar 08, 2012 Sadonna rated it really liked it
Shelves: pdf, mm
I really liked this short story of Gil and Warren - two men who have been hurt in the past and who have issues and to overcome. But they do in a most satisfying way!
Gabbi

Why oh why is this book not a full-length novel? I absolutely loved every second I spent reading this book! Both of the main characters, Gil and Warren, were refreshingly written and unique heroes. Gil has had multiple sclerosis for years, and continues to fight for his independence and Warren is a retired fireman who lost his partner two years ago to a heart attack. I loved watching the friendship and attraction develop between them, and truly believe that
Fritz42
Jul 06, 2014 Fritz42 rated it really liked it
Wonderful short story about how someone can find lasting love in dire circumstances.

Gil is a 40 something-old male with MS who wakes up one morning with double vision, weakness and other symptoms of a relapse of the disease. With his sister out of town on vacation, Gil has to ask his new neighbor Warren to take him to the hospital. Over the upcoming weeks, they spend every day together, getting to know and fall for each other.

What a great short story. Gil, during a time of stress and loss from
blub
Jun 03, 2012 blub rated it it was amazing
A great short read that I wished I had more of to read. Gil was witty and so down to earth. I loved that Gil had a pretty positive attitude even after 10 years of living with MS and didn't let it change him overly much. Warren was a real sweetheart and frankly I wish all neighbors could be like him. While reading the story I found I would love to read the story from Warren's perspective of this all. It seems like a fun read.
Rachel Emily
I really, really loved this. I loved the characters and that they were both older men, I loved that it dealt with MS, which was well done and something we don't see too much of in m/m romance (or any romance for that matter). I really enjoyed reading about these two...wouldn't mind getting to read more too!
V
Jul 11, 2012 V rated it really liked it
Such a lovely, sad and sweet story.
Dee Wy
An achingly beautiful short story about an older couple hooking up while one deals with MS. Neighbors to lovers, loved it!
Cait Miller
Feb 24, 2012 Cait Miller rated it really liked it
This was a really lovely little story but I really wanted it to be longer.
~RMG
Feb 23, 2012 ~RMG rated it really liked it
Hoping for a sequel...
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by: Lucy
Genre: M/M Contemporary
Rated: 4 hearts

Check out the review on http://heartsonfirereviews.com/
Tamarrion Lash
May 22, 2012 Tamarrion Lash rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
Небольшая, но очень трогательная история.
Sam
Oct 21, 2012 Sam rated it liked it
3.5
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
May 18, 2012
Cap'n Muchiko
Cap'n Muchiko rated it liked it
May 19, 2012
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2012
Dhole
Dhole rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2016
Maygirl7
Maygirl7 rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2012
Lena
Lena rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2013
J
J rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Dreamspinner Press: Different Spheres by Cari Z. 1 6 Feb 22, 2012 06:51AM
Cari Z. is a Colorado girl who loves snow and sunshine. She has a wonderful relationship with her husband, a complex relationship with the characters in her head and a sadomasochistic relationship with her exercise routine. She feels like Halloween should happen every month, which is why you get this picture of her, and hopes that you enjoy reading what she's put out there as much as she enjoyed w ...more
More about Cari Z....