Selb'in Yargısı: Özel Dedektif Selb'in Serüvenleri 1

Selb'in Yargısı: Özel Dedektif Selb'in Serüvenleri 1 (Gerhard Selb #1)

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  234 ratings  ·  36 reviews
As a young man, Gerhard Self served as a Nazi prosecutor. After the war he was barred from the judicial system and so became a private investigator. He has never, however, forgotten his complicity in evil.

Hired by a childhood friend, the aging Self searches for a prankish hacker who’s invaded the computer system of a Rhineland chemical plant. But his investigation leads to...more
Published 2005 by CAN YAYINLARI (first published 1987)

LJ
First Sentence: At the beginning, I envied him.

Gerhard self has been a Nazi prosecutor, and is now a private investigator. When a computer hacker creaks into the systems of a chemical plant, Self is hired to find the hacker. When the hacker dies in an accident, Self isn’t so certain the verdict of “accident” is correct and ventures down a road that takes him back to the past.

The first difference between this, and most PI novels, is having a protagonist who is 68 years old. However, his age is c...more
Chris
Self is a player and a guy who can hold his own in a bar fight and he's 68 years old. What I enjoyed most about this book was the mundane and menial things he does in the course of a day and that are all effortlessly communicated to the reader. In the middle of his many cases he takes a vacation to Greece too! It was refreshing to have a detective who should be retired and going on holiday wrestling with demons from his past as well as cavorting with younger women. The ending was truly a shocker...more
Susan
Schlink's detective stories aren't the best but as a writer he is a thrill to read. He writes tight and concisely and gives great descriptions of Germany,
Mark O'Neill
I unintentionally read book 2 before book 1 which I normally don't like doing. However, I still greatly enjoyed this book. Schlink has created a very memorable detective character - Gerhard Self - a man who is extremely professional in his job but is also feeling his age and is burdened by his past as a Nazi public prosecutor.[return][return]Self is called into the Rhineland Chemical Works by the director and his former brother-in-law, Korten. There has been a spate of computer hackings in the c...more
THE
Perhaps this volume should be retitled Self Punishment. Schlink, the author of The Reader and various other well-conceived literary works that probe the dark side of guilt and commitment, offers a New Age detective.
Gerhard Self, an aging former Nazi prosecutor turned detective is commissioned by a former brother-in-law to smoke out a computer hacker at a major industrial firm. The case is rather convoluted and the subsequent murders seem rather contrived. Frankly, the plot is quite a mess and th...more
Johann Guenther
SCHLINK, Bernhard, POPP, Walter: „Selbs Justiz“, Zürich 2010
Schlinks erster Kriminalroman mit dem Privatdetektiven Selbs. Noch nicht alleine geschrieben, so wie die Folgebände. Der erste noch gemeinsam mit Walter Popp. Aber stilitisch gleich. Ich weiß es, habe ich doch in umgekehrter Reihenfolge gelesen. Ein Buch, das Genusslesen erlaubt. Abschalten; an etwas Anderes denken wollen. Eine Lesepille.
Zwei Fälle in einem Buch, die zusammenhängen. Zuerst der Auftrag eines Schulfreundes, der Generaldir...more
Kim
I thought this was an interesting book - for more than just the mystery portion of the plot. Private Detective Gerhard Self is a former Nazi prosecutor and a part of this past comes back to life while he's investigating a case. Since this is Bernard Schlink, I wasn't surprised this happened. I found it intriguing more in terms of how Self dealt with the guilt and dread his past brought back to him. Certainly, in terms of Mr Schlink's famous book "The Reader", this was another study in war guilt....more
Claire
This review originally appeared on my blog at http://thetop100bookclub.wordpress.co... Please join the community and let us know the books you love.

There was a risk in picking up a book by Bernard Schlink after ‘The Reader.’ For over a decade, this book has remained one of my favourites and the only novel I have read by the author... until now. Perhaps I should have known that ‘Self’s Punishment’ wasn’t going to be another book that wedged itself firmly amongst my favourites, and yet there is s...more
Karschtl
Noch während ich das Buch las, habe ich 'recherchiert', ob es noch weitere Fälle in Bücherform von Gerhard Selb gibt. Das war nicht weiter schwierig, am Ende des Buches werden mindestens 2 weitere angepriesen. Es war jedenfalls ein Zeichen, dass mir dieses Buch hier sehr gut gefällt.
Sehr schöner Schreibstil, der mich anfangs irgendwie an Martin Suter erinnert hat (weil zum Anfang die Jugendfreundschaft zwischen Korten und Selb beschrieben wird, und mich das an die Freundschaft zwischen Konrad un...more
Kathryn
What starts off as an interesting tale of computer hacking and industrial sabotage segues into one about more sinister wrongdoing and then becomes a story of a man being forced to confront his past as a public prosecutor under the Third Reich. The central character of Gerhard Selb, now a private detective, is engaging, which is a good thing as we do get to look at his life in great detail.

The chapters are short which makes for a page-turning read but I did find it hard to keep track of who every...more
Joke
Ik was erg nieuwsgierig naar dit boek, vooral omdat ik van 'De voorlezer' genoten heb.
Selb is een oude privé-detective die vroeger nazi was.
Ook al heeft hij een afkeer van veel van zijn eigen, vroegere opvattingen gekregen, toch botst hij keer op keer tegen zijn verleden op.
Dit lijvige boek is een bundeling van drie verhalen, met Selb als hoofdpersonage.

Af en toe was ik de draad kwijt, omdat er een erg groot aantal personages in voorkomt. Ik ben een snellezer, en dat kan hier echt niet!
Plot was...more
Nick
This is the first in a series featuring aging German PI Gerhard Self, who had served as a prosecutor under the Nazi's in WWII, and like many characters in other books by Bernhard Schlink (The Reader), is haunted by the individual and collective guilt created by the Nazi's. Self gets intertwined with an industrialist, an old friend, and detection ensues. Truly, there is very little mystery in this tale, much more an atmospheric deep dive into the daily life of an interesting old guy and more impo...more
Russell L
I didn't like the author's style of writing. It was a little difficult to read. The story itself was ok.
Timbo
Feb 23, 2014 Timbo marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
German edition
Timbo
Feb 23, 2014 Timbo marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
English edition
Franzi
Ich habe es lang vor mir hergeschoben, dieses Buch zu lesen, hatte es seit Januar 2010 da. Nun bin ich endlich dazu gekommen und wunderte mich beim Lesen, warum ich das so lange aufgeschoben habe.
Das Buch hat eine etwas ältere Wortfolge und Satzbildung, aber es liest sich wirklich flott und ist sehr spannend. Es macht so viel Lust auf mehr, dass ich mich (in aller Ruhe ;-) ) aufmachen werde, "Selbs Betrug" und "Selbs Mord" zu finden und zu lesen. Wir werden sehen, wie lang das dauert.
Megan
I had no information about this book when I started it. I received it electronically, and hadn't heard of it and didn't have any "book jacket" to refer to. I was not expecting it to be a detective story set in late 80s West Germany. But that it is, and it is really good. The intrigue of the detective work along with Self's own inner turmoil surrounding his war service was fascinating and hard to put down. One of the best crime/mystery books I've read in a long time.
Henry
This is a deceptively straightforward mystery, full of local details (it's set in Germany) and local history. This attention to detail, the way the protagonist/narrator is embedded carefully in his world, makes this novel engaging as a realistic novel, not just a genre story. The writing is low-key, dryly funny, and the story is intriguing. Of note is that the translator is granted a kind of co-author status on the cover, which is refreshingly honest.
Leniw
This book caused me some mixed feelings.
At first I hated the main character. After a while I begun to understand him.
He is a private detective obsessed with his work. While he is trying to solve his latest case, his past begins to emerge in his memories and guilt drives his actions until the very end of the book.
Surely, this is not the best book that I have ever read but I strongly believe that is worth-reading.
nogaboga
I don't read detective novels, and I would not have made it through this one had it been your run-of-the-mill detective story. I loved Schlink's writing style - the book is full of sentences that made me stop and think, sentences you absolutely wouldn't expect in a detective novel. I gave it only 3 stars since it did have some detective stuff that mainly bored me; the rest of it was very enjoyable - especially the writing.
Sebastian Hagedorn
May 31, 2013 Sebastian Hagedorn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sebastian by: Dana Tillich
Nach "Der Vorleser" mein zweites Buch von Bernhard Schlink. Ich mag den nüchternen aber nicht emotionslosen Stil sehr gern. "Selbs Justiz" ist ein Krimi, aber in mancher Hinsicht ist "Der Vorleser" das ja auch. Irgendwie sind die beiden Fälle, um die es geht, aber gar nicht so wichtig. Der Reiz liegt vor allem in der Hauptperson begründet. Ich freue mich schon auf die anderen beiden Selb-Bücher.
Tom
This is a fairly good murder mystery set during the time before the Berlin Wall came down. I enjoyed the pace and flow of language, it was quite enjoyable to move through the protagonists day seeing what he was eating and drinking and various other interests that he commented on. The plot muddled along at times but I will seek out some more of Self's detective series.
Mazel
Selb, détective privé et ancien juriste nazi, est amené à travailler pour une grande entreprise chimique dirigée par son beau-frère, victime d'un piratage informatique.

Mais, en Allemagne, le passé pèse lourd et Selb va vite se retrouver face à ses vieux démons, ceux qui hantent encore la mémoire du monde.
Willem van der Scheun
Not the best of detectives, but a pleasant read. The plot is not fully believable, but then again it's not only the plot which makes a good detective story, it's also the way the detective is finding out the plot. Seen from this view I liked my encounter with private detective and former Nazi DA Gerhard Selb.
Tina Siegel
I really didn't care at all about the characters in this book, or the narrative. Schlink seems to write about everything in the same amount of detail, which means I had no idea what was important and the book took on a very numbing monotone. Definitely not recommended.
Sean
My internal narrator for this book has the voice of Andrei Codrescu. Codrescu's voice and mannerisms of speech fit the protagonist so well. I was quite a ways into the book before I realized why the narrator's voice sounded so familiar.
Marten
Schlink has a fun, NOT James Bond-like spy here who is really fun to follow through Germany while searching out the bad guy. Not heavy reading at all, but nice little insight in to a more contemporary Germany.
Noah
i didn't really get the protagonist's character, or his relationship with his Nazi past. Accordingly, the big thematic stuff didn't do much for me. But the writing was good and the mystery well plotted.
Lizbuf
Liked the central character and found the period of history (80's Germany) really interesting. Took a while to get into, though, and I found the names of characters confusing!
Linda
I liked the protagonist well enough, but was not so interested in the plot. I'd read another in the series before giving up.
  • Die Schwalbe, die Katze, die Rose und der Tod (Inspector Van Veeteren #9)
  • The Master of the Inn
  • Stettin Station (John Russell, #3)
  • Occupied City (Tokyo Trilogy, #2)
  • Hart's War
  • Happy Birthday, Türke!
  • Maria, ihm schmeckt's nicht!
  • Ice Moon
  • Die Apothekerin
  • A Quiet Flame (Bernard Gunther, #5)
  • Am Beispiel meines Bruders
  • Schweigeminute
  • Schloß Gripsholm
  • Der Turm: Geschichte aus einem versunkenen Land
  • Critique of Criminal Reason (Hanno Stiffeniis, #1)
  • Loco Motive (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #25)
  • The Wallflower, Vol. 25 (The Wallflower, #25)
  • The Dark Vineyard (Bruno, Chief of Police #2)
Bernhard Schlink is a German jurist and writer. He became a judge at the Constitutional Court of the federal state of North Rhine-Westphalia in 1988 and has been a professor of public law and the philosophy of law at Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany since January 2006.

His career as a writer began with several detective novels with a main character named Selb--a play on the German word for "sel...more
More about Bernhard Schlink...
The Reader Homecoming: A Novel Flights of Love : Stories Das Wochenende Sommerlügen