Start by marking “Cards On The Table” as Want to Read:
Cards On The Table

Cards On The Table

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  758 ratings  ·  91 reviews
Fifty years ago a glamorous Hollywood party ended in murder -- the only clue a bloody Tarot card. Timothy North is trying to find out what happened that long ago summer's night, but when a Tarot card turns up pinned to his front door, the only person Tim can turn to for help is his ex-lover, Detective Jack Brady.
Published January 24th 2012 by Just Joshin (first published January 23rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Cards On The Table, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cards On The Table

Ingela
Written March 16, 2015

3.2 Stars - A solid Lanyon crime with an old glamorous Hollywood touch

I needed something short in between to listening to yesterday. This 3 hours Josh Lanyon crime narrated by Sean Crisden felt like an excellent choice.

***********************************************************

Book-blurb and characters:

~ ‘Fifty years ago, a glamorous Hollywood party ended in murder - the only clue a bloody Tarot card. Timothy North is trying to find out what happened that long ago summer's
Susan

If I could sit down to coffee with Josh Lanyon, this is what would happen: first some "OMG, I love you so much"ing, possibly some tears (I'm a cryer!), some more squeeeing, and then I'd yell "Why do you hate me? You get me so into your stories and then they just...END! I need more! MUST. HAVE. MORE."...and then he'd walk out calling the police.

I loved "Cards on the Table". It reminded me a bit of "Fair Game" in that the main characters and their romance arc were kinda similar. This is a very ver

Ah, Lanyon love! It feels so right and wonderful to be back in the arms of a Josh Lanyon mystery layered with humor, tenderness, and love. The man can fill a story with just the right amount of twists & turns, jabs, wit, heat and tension to send my heart a’skipping, grinning, and sighing! Cards On The Table has everything I love in an old school, cold case mystery. The dead body, quirky suspect list, library research, mob connections, dangers and dimples! Oh, don’t forget the handsome police
Fangtasia
Josh Lanyon can write the same plot with similar characters (different names) for the rest of his/her career and I'll continue to buy, read, and love each and every story. And it's because of the way the words flow together, like these:

"...I felt surrender well up and flow through him -- the white flag spilling in my mouth."

Or "...we both moaned together in relief that sounded like harmony."

There's the funny stuff, like: "Tony the Cock's son, Frankie the Weenie", which made me snort my coffee
Sunny
I get lost in Lanyon's stories. The real world just goes away and its almost a shock when I resurface after finishing the story. The characters and their world feel so real, and I feel strangely let down that they aren't.
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
I've read this twice so far, I have the anthology version but assume not much has changed.

Reading third time 12-17-12 still just the antho. But obviously I love it if I'm rereading for a third time.

After third read still awesome.
Sara
I think this is my favorite from what I have read of Lanyon so far. Ugh. Tim and Jack were amazing. I love how Lanyon makes you wait for the really good stuff until the end. Talk about literary foreplay!

I really liked the mystery in this one; the time of the unsolved murder, the Tarot cards and astrology and the whole Film Noir feel to the story, an almost Hitchcock telling as Tim researched his story and the murder... it was outstanding.

Tim and Jack though; my heart fell for them instantly. T
Joy
"In my experiece, when a guy tells you he doesn't want a serious relationsip, he really means he doesn't want a serious relationship with you."

Another great mystery from Josh Lanyon---
Tully  Vincent
Always enjoy stories about broken boys... Tim was a lovely one. The mystery itself was more of a three star but the parts between Jack and Tim made me bump it up.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Huge price drop to $0.99 at Amazon US for Kindle! 6/13/13!
Joan
Wonderful. I realised the other day that for me, m/m stories which focus more or less solely on the sex aspect are, quite frankly, boring. The real stories, those with depth and characters who come alive on the page and where the 'sex' is the added bonus - not the be-all-and-end-all of a book - are far more interesting and re-readable.

This is one of those books. Not that long, but packed with the most fabulous writing, a nice twisty little crime mystery, and several really loveable characters.
Deeze
While this had all the things I usually love in a Josh Lanyon story, I failed to really connect with it.

I enjoyed the murder mystery, and I enjoyed Tim and Jack, but I didn’t love this as much as his other books.

I guess I just didn’t feel the magic between Tim and his cop lol.
Trisha Harrington
Really great short story by Josh Lanyon. It was nice to see the MC's come together the way they did. The ending was just really sweet, and it made me giggle just a little bit.
dblue
An enjoyable mystery with a film noir feel. Loved the old Hollywood, with its glamorous facade and somewhat seedy underside.

I liked the main characters, Tim and Jack, although it took me a bit to warm up to them as a couple. The list of possible suspects were fun and the author was able to keep me guessing about the outcome until the end.

When I read it I really liked it - a solid four stars.

Then after a year or so, I listened to it narrated by Sean Crisden. I have said it many times. Listening
Idamus
Me likey

Are there anymore books with these characters? There really should be :)
Runell
Actual Rating: 3.5

I enjoyed this, but I wish it had been longer, even if it was just a few pages because damn it, I wanted more Jack. I liked Jack from the get-go. I thought he was awesome the little bit that we got to see of him. It might have something to do with that dimple that appears when he smiles in his right cheek. It might be his dark hair. It might be his gray eyes. It could be all that and more. In any case, I wanted more Jack and I wanted more Tim and I wanted more Jack and Tim sexy
LiveYourLife BuyTheBook
5 Stars - KAPOW!

Back in the 1950′s an actress by the name of Eva Aldrich was murdered during a Hollywood party. The case has remained unsolved and Timothy North is writing a book, in the hope that he may be able to finally uncover whodunnit. During Timothy’s journey he is thrown many curve balls. One of those curve balls throws him down a flight of stairs and tries to beat the tar out of him. The other curve ball is his former lover Jack Brady. They dated very briefly but when Timothy has an epi
Adrienne -kocham czytać-
And, another 5-star J. Lanyon for me :)

Of course I know, it's his typical novella-length murder mystery plot: some middling-attractive, younger middle-aged man who is somewhat unsure of himself and/or lonely runs into trouble investigating a mystery; he goes to his law enforcement ex, whom he still has feelings for and who seems maybe indifferent, but maybe caring towards him OR an attractive man in his proximity (often in a position of relative power), who it seems the MC cares more for than t
Sunne
Josh Lanyon is a sure bet for a good story.

This one has the nice touch of an old crime, the - let's say - usual Lanyon guys, the one in his health impaired beautiful intelligent man, the other more masculine alpha male (police of course). Despite this is kind of a pattern with Lanyon, he still makes each couple unique and gives each a different story.

I liked this one very much, it has a good story and I liked the MCs.
Aoife
After finishing this my first thought was 'I enjoyed this but there was...something' and it took me a while to figure out what this something was because the characters were cute, I enjoyed their relationship and the mystery was nice as well (I did guess some bits but that didn't take away from it).
Eventually I realized that it was just too short. I don't mind novellas in general but this one had just too much happening for the length. It felt more like an early version that still needs some fle
Nila
Here is what I like in this short story: two sexy guys with history and yearning and misunderstanding; a mystery from Hollywood's past; glamour girls; aging stars; the atmosphere of southern California, and smooth as silk writing. It's all here, and, well, that's close to perfect for me.

The mystery is just the tiniest bit shopworn involving a B-movie actress who is killed at a 1950's swanky Hollywood affair celebrating her latest movie. The beautiful and sexy star dies of multiple stab wounds wi
Katharina
This was a book in typical Lanyon fashion through and through. The mystery aspect was, as usual, great - complex, with different lines of enquiry weaving into one believable truth. Those are the ones I love the most, because they are hard to predict, but still make sense in the end.
The romance was great (view spoiler), I loved Tim and Jack - as a matter of fact, I'll see right this instant if there isn't a Christm
liz
2.5 stars (rounded up for writing style)
This book is clever and the characters are sweet. The writing is strong, and I enjoyed the author's style. It's my first by Lanyon, and I'll read more of his stuff.

The overall story didn't engage me. It didn't exactly feel rushed, but in a few short days, an author manages to be threatened and solve a 50 year old murder case. Books take months to write. Why did this suddenly all come together? Plus, Tim has all kinds of things in his personal life that ju
Leanne
There's something about Josh Lanyon's protagonists that I have such a soft spot for....they're vulnerable yet have an inner strength and resourcefulness that makes you root for them from the get-go. A bad accident has left Timothy North physically damaged (view spoiler) and rather low in the self-esteem department. He's hurt and still angry that the hottie cop from next door, Jack, dropped him like a hot potato after one night together. It's this delicious tens ...more
Kathleen
A nice tight little mystery about a 50-year old Hollywood cold case. In addition to delighting in some very colorful secondary characters, I loved both main characters. Especially Tim, a writer whose perception of his own limitations almost hold him back from a meaningful connection with his policeman neighbor Jack. This would have been all the better had it been a full-length novel. It certainly had the foundation for "more". Lanyon's wonderful shorts always end too soon. The fabulous Sean Cris ...more
Kim
I loved this book because the author managed to infuse a good, solid plot, and a believable romance in less than a hundred pages. Even though the mystery could be easily solved, I was still left satisfied. Also, Josh Lanyon's included in my list of favorite m/m authors because of his flawed and somehow incapacitated but still powerful protagonists, and the lead in this story is one of the most memorable characters that he created, in my opinion. How he managed to do that in such a short novel is ...more
Anna
This must be Lanyon's first story that I didn't like. The relationship between Tim and Jack had no chemistry (I actually preferred Tim and Clyde's). The main plot also felt incredibly rushed. All in all, not my favourite work by Lanyon.
Susana
When Tim North is investigating the murder of Eva Aldrich, a promising Hollywood star, which took place fifty years ago, he does not expect to be threatened… But it happens. He decides to ask his neighbour and ex-lover, Detective Jack Brady, for help, but maybe resorting to Jack with his overbearing character is not the best decision. Tim has enough with risking his life, he does not need risking his dignity or his heart…
Another great story by Josh Lanyon, this one embellished with the extra gla
Ayanna
JFC author. Way to scare me.

This one line in the beginning, where the MC is examining himself critically in the mirror, seriously had me worried.

"The last year had turned me into an old woman."
Srsly, my mind screeched to a stop and stared at that line in horror and had me reading the next few pages with trepidation. Cuz, you know, it's all in first person with no indication of pronouns, and I sat there thinking, "Oh, god, this isn't a het romance, is it?"

Luckily, a few pages later, the character
Lala

A recipe for Josh Lanyon Special: a rugged cop, a handsome writer, an intriguing mystery and a pinch of heartache. Mix and serve.
 photo 100_percent_delicious_zps3460b0ab.gif
  • Pressure Head (The Plumber's Mate #1)
  • Body and Soul (PsyCop, #3)
  • Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2)
  • Three Nick Nowak Mysteries (Boystown #1)
  • A Reason To Believe
  • Mexican Heat (Crimes & Cocktails, #1)
  • Irregulars
  • Trust Me If You Dare (Romano and Albright, #2)
  • Dirty Secret (Cole McGinnis, #2)
  • Deadly Wrong (Deadly Mystery, #2)
  • Half Moon Chambers
  • A Casual Weekend Thing (Least Likely Partnership, #1)
A distinct voice in gay fiction, multi-award-winning author JOSH LANYON has been writing gay mystery, adventure and romance for over a decade. In addition to numerous short stories, novellas, and novels, Josh is the author of the critically acclaimed Adrien English series, including The Hell You Say, winner of the 2006 USABookNews awards for GLBT Fiction. Josh is an Eppie Award winner and a three- ...more
More about Josh Lanyon...
Fatal Shadows (Adrien English Mystery, #1) The Dark Tide (Adrien English Mystery, #5) Fair Game (All's Fair, #1) A Dangerous Thing (Adrien English Mystery, #2) Death of a Pirate King (Adrien English Mystery, #4)

“I deliberately ignored the sight of lean brown body cutting through the aqua water, glistening powerful arms dipping slow and steady in perfect rhythm with the strong kick of his long tanned legs.

I was going to have to work on my ignoring technique.

- Tim trying to ignore Jack in the swimming pool.”
4 likes