Start by marking “Resurrection” as Want to Read:

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,078 Ratings  ·  169 Reviews
The Kinley built a ship capable of traveling faster than light. It carried a group of scientists to a small, distant planet—a primitive place called Earth. It’s mission was peaceful observation. But when the ship was destroyed, the Kinley crew found themselves stranded in ancient Egypt, participants in the pageant of life in the time of the Pharaohs. They buried remnants o ...more
Kindle Edition, Reprint edition, 442 pages
Published January 24th 2012 by 47North (first published June 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Resurrection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Resurrection

Sara Meehan
Feb 18, 2012 Sara Meehan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a rare combination: sci-fi meets Egyptology.

"Resurrection" starts by introducing its heroine, Pruit Pax, as she awakens from a form of hibernation. She and her partner, Niks, are on a years-long journey from their home planet, Herrod, to Earth in search of the remains of a former expedition. Their race - humans, same as you and I - is at war with a race of true aliens, and Pruit has to find technology from that previous group of explorers so her people (the Kinley) can survive. Her arrival
Kat Shriver
Apr 26, 2012 Kat Shriver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This story will earn and keep your attention: One thing that annoys me about some authors is how they drone on about peripheral, irrelevant details that have nothing to do with the story. With such authors you have this vague sense that they're just showing off -- "Oh, look at how many adjectives I know! Look how I just made a cool metaphor!" and you're tempted to skip ahead but you're not sure if you might be missing something important. Not this author! There are beautiful metaphors and engagi ...more
John Bechill
Apr 28, 2013 John Bechill rated it it was amazing
Cold picked this book and was quiet surprised. I liked the descriptions of the two protagonists. She made them very alien and very alien to each other. The way they live and understand the world conflicts at a fundamental level. She sets up a really interesting point of view conflict. Since neither party is inherently evil, she makes you feel empathetic to both parties.

The descriptions of how she envisions future technology is creative. I always enjoy writers who have interesting takes on how t
Dan
Aug 27, 2012 Dan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Deeply subpar. I picked up this book on a whim, having found it on the top-rated in SF list on Amazon. If I had glanced at the full spectrum of reviews and ratings, I would have avoided it and saved some time.

The prose is the most obvious issue. Dayton is simply not a particularly proficient writer. If she has a love of the language - and it is not clear from this novel that she does - that love does not translate into any actual talent.

Characterization is by and large also very flawed, although
Graham Storrs
This was shaping up to be a pretty good sci-fi novel - until it turned into a fantasy novel with a really disappointing ending. The premise - an alien visit to Earth many years ago is the key to saving one alien faction in a modern-day war many light-years away - was interesting, and the writing was solid. Sadly, the whole plot ended up hingeing on a magical, telepathic mind-meld and it turns out reincarnation is real - blowing away all credibility as a sci-fi story and leaving me shaking my hea ...more
Nathan Douglas
Good. Not as good as sausage and cheese. Felt a bit amateurish, like the author had to spell out what people were feeling instead of letting the story and characters speak for themselves.
Lee Browman
Feb 14, 2012 Lee Browman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I forget how I got recommend this book (maybe Goodreads?), but after some hard core classics, felt it was time to have some mental candy floss, and enjoy some pulp sci-fi.

The basic story of this book was very good, and the way that it fed back into Earth's history was nice. In many ways the history part was used like Dan Brown - take factoids that you can not dispute, but then wrap a story around them, that you know is wrong, but cannot put your finger on where it is wrong.

Never the less, it was
Nina Bradley
I did think the writing in Resurrection was amateurish and didn't flow smoothly. Ordinarily that would completely turn me off to a book, but I actually enjoyed this story quite a lot. I have a difficult time with sci-fi that introduces entire new species and cultures without having a frame of reference to place them in, so having much of the action occur on Earth kept me interested. Although I am not an "ancient alien" believer, I did enjoy the way the author incorporated some of those myths int ...more
Thomas Heath
Sep 15, 2012 Thomas Heath rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

If you're at all familiar with the work on an ancient Egypt by John Anthony West, you're likely to enjoy this work of speculative fiction as much as I did.

Present-tense science fiction like you'll find in Ressurection seems like a greater writing challenge than futuristic, far-out fare such as Dune or Star Wars, but I'd put this title in that league. I enjoyed the characters and their relationships, and the believable technologies from other worlds kept the story rolling along without feeling
Tony Kelly
Oct 22, 2015 Tony Kelly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Such a good premise, and so poorly done. It took half the book to even get the story started. The only character I connected with was Jean-Claude, a relatively minor character. The first death is kind of a reverse of Chekhov's gun - instead of setting something up as deadly, the character just died followed by an "Oh yeah, did I mention that might be deadly?" Same thing with the villain, who seemed to be added as an afterthought. All that being said, I was leaning toward upping this to two stars ...more
Mike J
Sep 11, 2012 Mike J rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book has some great concepts woven into a strong sci-fi plot. But, unfortunately, the book is largely plot driven - and the writing doesn't move very fast. Slow pacing in a plot driven book can become maddeningly boring... In a great book, the challenge is always to put it down long enough to get anything else done. With Resurrection, the challenge was remembering to get back to it.

This was a disappointment, especially since the story held so much potential. And then the reviews only built
Maggie Boyd
This book is an interesting mix of sci-fi fantasy and historical thriller. It starts with Pruit, a Kinley women, on her home planet of Herrod, being given the assignment of going to Earth and retrieving 5,000 year old technology. The Herrodians had sent an expedition in their greatest ship there, then been attacked with the technology completely lost in the devastation. Their enemies are preparing to attack again and that technology is their only hope.

It will take Pruitt and her partner Nix 15
James Kemp
Oct 14, 2014 James Kemp rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story, it was a mix of classic science fiction, ancient history and a modern thriller. I'm not an expert on the Egyptology, but what there was seemed to work very well for me as a story and was plausible. It managed to avoid being too Erich von Däniken in its approach, and the way that the locals never grasped the technology was completely believable.

Another aspect that I liked was the interplay between the metal poor and biotech rich Kinley (humans from a planet 8 light y
V. Shipp
Jun 30, 2014 V. Shipp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Sunday Afternoon Read

While the story line was very good, there were more than a few places where character lines and intersections could have been fleshed out just a little more for depth between the Lucien and Kinley races and worlds. I would have liked to have been introduced to a Lucien family like the author dug into the Kinley families described.

This author has presented the most unique explanation of how the great pyramid was built, why, and by whom. In the scope of the plot lines an
Jen Randolph
Mar 19, 2014 Jen Randolph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Jen by: Amazon
Shelves: top-shelf
Jessica
I was very interested in the characters in the beginning third of the book.. But the storyline got mundane quickly after that. Characters seemed to make decisions because the author said so... Rather than being inherent in their personalities. Even the events happened quickly and matter of factly - not a lot of twist or build up. A simple book, interesting enough to power through to the end, only to find it rather cheesy and kumbaya-ish.

Your time could be better spent elsewhere.
David Rasner
Mar 14, 2012 David Rasner rated it really liked it

Resurrection

by Arwen Elys Dayton (Goodreads Author)

3.43 · rating details · 100 ratings · 28 reviews

2600 B.C....The first ship built by the Kinley race capable of travelling faster than the speed of light, the Champion is sent to explore a tiny blue planet called Earth. But the Champion's first mission would also be its last....

Present Day...The Kinley race is nearly extinct, wiped out by a warlike race called the Lucien. Their only hope for survival lies in the technolo...
Matt
Mar 03, 2012 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
Read this only because it was the #2 downloaded Kindle novel that week, and it was 99 cents. While it had a decent idea for a story, it wasn't all that good. The characters were dull and forgettable. There was a decent tie in to ancient Egyptian culture with the original Kinley expedition, but while it made sense, it was boring.

The ending was extremely predictable and lacked any real dramatic resolution. Everything just falls into place.

3/5 because I am feeling generous today
Rob
Mar 10, 2012 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this one. The author did an excellent job of character development, plotting and maintaining and escalation of conflict that keeps the reader wanting more right to the very end. A few editing errors were found, but for an independently published book, it was very well done. Definitely recommended.
Daniel
Dec 26, 2012 Daniel rated it liked it
This is a science fiction tale that brings an interplanetary conflict onto Earth's doorstep--circa 2600 BC. I liked how author Dayton connected alien doings with early human history, and how she brought this conflict into the present day. If she publishes more fiction--especially space opera--I will read it.
Jamie Marvin
Jul 18, 2012 Jamie Marvin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has a great flow to it. I thoroughly enjoyed Dayton's theory of past lives and how the Egyptian pyramids were constructed from an alien survey team. I actually sort of believe her theories might be more fact than fiction. Great Sci-Fi!!
Debbi
Feb 26, 2012 Debbi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the beginning of this book. The ending fell flat: too neatly wrapped up and a bit forced. Some bits of the storyline were never well explained. I just wish there was a bit more to the whole book!
David
Mar 19, 2013 David rated it really liked it
Fun to read. A kinda-pulpy sci fi novel (which is always a good thing). Though I don't believe in Ancient Aliens I really enjoy books about them, it seems. :-) And I'm a sucker for most anything set in ancient Egypt.
Carole O'Brien
I adored this Science Fiction novel, I have read many Sci-fi story's since being a teenager, but this one stands out for me as I have not come across one like it before.

Anyway Humans from the world Herrod come to examine our culture, they are far more advanced than we are, they arrive in Egypt in the time of the pharaohs, to examine life on Earth, the Humans of Kinley are not that different from us, they bestow on the Egyptians many gifts and some of the greatest monuments of Egypt they create.

T
J
Jan 23, 2016 J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Refers to the Audible Narrated Kindle edition.

Present time Earth, Egyptian BC history, species, love and death - a few of my favorite thitngs.
In my limited science fiction experience I haven't come across the alien species quite like the Kinley (and their biotech-though it seems a little familiar but kicked up a notch) and the mammalian Lucien (with silvery skin and insect like features). I like the origin story for the Egyptian gods Osiris, Isis and Horus and the pyramids used in this book.

The
Dave
Dec 02, 2015 Dave rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Positives - I was able to complete the book. It held my interest sufficiently for that. The author kept the story moving (barely).
Negatives - there are a lot. First the writing. Other reviewers called it amateurish and I guess that's the best description. For example, rather than build emotions for the reader, the author has to describe them. The dialog is primitive and unbelievable, especially the swearing. The story takes too long to develop and is needlessly complicated. There are occasional
Tom Loock
Sep 27, 2014 Tom Loock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, thriller, ebook
I really enjoyed Resurrection, which I bought on a whim for 1. It is Arwen Elys Dayton's first book and it shows, but I'm certain her next one – I would very much like to read a sequel – will be (even) better.

Ignoring all the points other readers have raised, my main complaint is that it turned more and more from a SF novel into a thriller towards the end.
Rachel
Jan 19, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My theme this year seems to be "Reading Books Because I Like the Title". I had never heard of this book, but I was perusing Amazon Kindle Owner's Lending Library, and this one came up. The name caught my eye, and the synopsis sounded interesting. I like a book that grabs me from the get-go, and this book did it for me. I liked it from beginning to finish, and I only wish that it was part of a planned series, but I could not find any evidence online that that was the case. I am glad that it wrapp ...more
Justin
Jan 31, 2014 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book on a whim. It was recommended by amazon.com due to something I purchased and/or put into my wishlist. I went into it thinking if nothing else it was cheap and I like Sci-Fi, and Ancient Egyptian myth. I was pleasantly surprised. In fact, I quite like the story.

It follows three civilizations:

The Kinley: Who are on the brink of annihilation. They were nuclear attacked by another world and are about to be attacked again. They have a technology heavily based in biology as they do not
Randy
Apr 21, 2012 Randy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took quite a while but I finally mustered the remaining attention I had and decided to finish Resurrection a few days ago, and I'm very glad I did since it turned out to be a very rewarded read.

Resurrection is just a good story, it kept my attention once I actually made an effort to finish it and I didn't want to let up on it at all on occasion. I was drawn to the characters more half way through the book since most of the ground work had been done in the beginning of the novel.

• Damocles
  • MetaGame
  • Against the Light
  • Nosferatu (Area 51, #8)
  • The Three Little Aliens and the Big Bad Robot
  • Reach for Tomorrow
  • Nine-Tenths
  • Ice Age
  • London: The Autobiography
  • Whatever Gods May Be
  • Stars Rain Down (Biotech Legacy, #1)
  • Shakespeare on Toast: Getting a Taste for the Bard
  • Far Orbit: Speculative Space Adventures
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)
  • The Wednesdays
  • Towards Yesterday
  • Déjà Vu (Saskia Brandt #1)
  • Seas of Venus (Seas of Venus, #1-2)
Arwen Elys Dayton is hard at work on the SEEKER series, a grand YA story for Random House.

Arwen began her career as a teenage staff writer at a foundation that produced Peabody Award-winning educational shows for PBS. Soon afterward, she began writing screenplays and novels, including Sovereign’s Hold and Resurrection, the #1 Amazon bestseller in Sci-Fi in both the US and the UK.

She spends months
More about Arwen Elys Dayton...

“Yea for we are the conquerors And all that is lies before us A black domain of stars And we the brightest lights within it” 4 likes
“hibernation. Their usual stint was a single day or less, but five-days” 1 likes