Start by marking “From Pampered to Productive: Raising Children Who Know How to Work” as Want to Read:
From Pampered to Productive: Raising Children Who Know How to Work

From Pampered to Productive: Raising Children Who Know How to Work

From television to iphones and automatic dishwashers, we've got it all—except each other. But there's a simple solution. Turn forgotten to-dos into family fun with Debbie Bowen's ten proven formulas for success. With new skills, added closeness, and a real sense of accomplishment, your whole family will soon cherish chore time. Raising responsible, hard-working kids has ne ...more
Published March 13th 2012 by Cedar Fort, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about From Pampered to Productive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Pampered to Productive

Shanda
Aug 30, 2012 Shanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
When I would ask or remind my kids to do their jobs I would start with a request, then a firm reminder, than a curt demand, which would then turn into pleading, yelling, and finally threatening with no guarantee that the threats would work, even when I followed through.

After reading From Pampered to Productive, I now say just one word to get action and effort from previously reluctant kids: Consequences.

With four kids ages 15 (almost), 11, 5 and 3, I experienced a wide range of struggles in gett
Angie Libert
Jan 17, 2013 Angie Libert rated it really liked it
I read her book several years under a different title. I believe it was W.O.R.K., Wonderful Opportunities to Raise Responsible Kids. I learned alot the first time and enjoyed this refreshed course. It is good to be reminded that the work load my kids now have is good, and that it ok to continue adding things to their list. In fact, this morning my almost 8 year old, said she wanted more responsibility since she was almost 8. Awesome! Kids really do like working. :)

Here is a great quote within t
Bonnie
Jun 04, 2013 Bonnie rated it liked it
I would actually give this book 3.5 stars. It was very helpful in figuring out different ways to get children pitching in and delegating out the workload around the house. Basically, getting my children to work productively keeps me from going crazy! I liked her descriptions about work helping children to recuperate from boredom, fighting, and teasing each other. She used examples from her own family life to illustrate her principles and they were very enjoyable. Some of my favorite quotes:

"Do n
Katie W
Jan 08, 2013 Katie W rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
This book contained a lot of practical advice on how to manage your kids and get the work around the house done. While I thought some of it was a good reminder for things that I basically already know, there was one thing that bothered me--the allowance issue. This author strongly recommends that you do not give in to the impulse to pay your kids for every day jobs, but to make them to do extra jobs to earn money. I think that's great for younger kids, but for teens who have more wants/needs, es ...more
Princess
Feb 02, 2014 Princess rated it it was ok
I wanted to like it more than I did. There were a few take-away ideas for me but the behavioralist in me didn't like some of the examples she used. The extent to which she is able to put her ideas into practice is heavily reliant upon the fact that there are ten (!) kids AND she homeschooled them. I have about 3.5 hours each evening with my kids to get dinner/homework/piano accomplished plus any chores I might need them to do. Even after reading this, I feel like my kids have a manageable load.
Brett Hinton
Nov 25, 2012 Brett Hinton rated it liked it
Shelves: lds, parenting
Enjoyed the book. It provides a lot of practical suggestions and generally advocates for a process-light approach as the process heavy approaches or often most difficult for the parents.. She doesn't try to make it sound easy and spends an entire chapter outlining common roadblocks that she and others have encountered and ways to overcome then. I appreciated that she honors the fact that while principles are transferable, practices/impementations are often unique to each family. All in all, a bo ...more
Micah
Jul 23, 2012 Micah rated it really liked it
Every book about parenting or raising kids I have read makes it sound so easy! Bowen tries to say this is what I did, and you can do it too. She tries to tell you it's hard, but she still makes it sound like it was easy for her. IT IS NOT EASY!!!!! She raised ten kids and still tries to makes it sound like life was great. She has some fun stories and good advice, but I think for her credibility's sake, she needs to tell us there were days where she cried her eyes out!
craftyashley
Dec 23, 2013 craftyashley rated it it was ok
It didn't have the answers I was looking for. Every parent has a style, and hers just doesn't sync with mine. There were some interesting ideas, but I don't think they would be incorporated well into our life.
Stephanie
Aug 06, 2012 Stephanie rated it liked it
3.5--Quick read, and helpful--not so easy to implement. But then, raising kids isn't meant to be quick and easy.
Nicole
Mar 15, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it
Common sense but I needs some new ideas to implement chores and work ethic.
S.D. Stevens
Sep 14, 2014 S.D. Stevens rated it it was amazing
An amazing book. She is such an inspiration. If you have children, whether pampered or not you NEED this book!
Cedar Fort
Cedar Fort rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2012
Audrie
Audrie rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2015
Emmily Muller
Emmily Muller rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2014
Jen rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2015
Jackie
Jackie rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2013
Janne
Janne rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2014
Amber
Amber rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2013
Smpaetz
Smpaetz rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2013
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2012
Mirien
Mirien rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2012
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2012
C Jorgensen
C Jorgensen rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2015
Tami
Tami rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2015
Denise
Denise rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2012
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2013
Jennifer Hamblin
Jennifer Hamblin rated it it was ok
Aug 06, 2013
Tawn
Tawn added it
Mar 06, 2012
Robyn
Robyn marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2012
Allanna
Allanna marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2012
Janey
Janey marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2012
Colleen529
Colleen529 marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2012
Tanya
Tanya added it
Aug 05, 2012
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2012
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2012
Roseanne Wilkins
Roseanne Wilkins marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2012
Sally
Sally added it
Dec 13, 2012
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2013
Jennifer is currently reading it
Feb 26, 2013
Nancee
Nancee marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2013
Norah Baron
Norah Baron marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Kendra
Kendra added it
Oct 07, 2013
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2013
Jen marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Mara
Mara marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014