From Pampered to Productive: Raising Children Who Know How to Work

From Pampered to Productive: Raising Children Who Know How to Work

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  10 reviews
From television to iphones and automatic dishwashers, we've got it all—except each other. But there's a simple solution. Turn forgotten to-dos into family fun with Debbie Bowen's ten proven formulas for success. With new skills, added closeness, and a real sense of accomplishment, your whole family will soon cherish chore time. Raising responsible, hard-working kids has ne...more
Published March 13th 2012 by Cedar Fort, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about From Pampered to Productive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Pampered to Productive

Shanda
When I would ask or remind my kids to do their jobs I would start with a request, then a firm reminder, than a curt demand, which would then turn into pleading, yelling, and finally threatening with no guarantee that the threats would work, even when I followed through.

After reading From Pampered to Productive, I now say just one word to get action and effort from previously reluctant kids: Consequences.

With four kids ages 15 (almost), 11, 5 and 3, I experienced a wide range of struggles in gett...more
Angie
I read her book several years under a different title. I believe it was W.O.R.K., Wonderful Opportunities to Raise Responsible Kids. I learned alot the first time and enjoyed this refreshed course. It is good to be reminded that the work load my kids now have is good, and that it ok to continue adding things to their list. In fact, this morning my almost 8 year old, said she wanted more responsibility since she was almost 8. Awesome! Kids really do like working. :)

Here is a great quote within t...more
Princess
I wanted to like it more than I did. There were a few take-away ideas for me but the behavioralist in me didn't like some of the examples she used. The extent to which she is able to put her ideas into practice is heavily reliant upon the fact that there are ten (!) kids AND she homeschooled them. I have about 3.5 hours each evening with my kids to get dinner/homework/piano accomplished plus any chores I might need them to do. Even after reading this, I feel like my kids have a manageable load.
Bonnie Hopkinson
I would actually give this book 3.5 stars. It was very helpful in figuring out different ways to get children pitching in and delegating out the workload around the house. Basically, getting my children to work productively keeps me from going crazy! I liked her descriptions about work helping children to recuperate from boredom, fighting, and teasing each other. She used examples from her own family life to illustrate her principles and they were very enjoyable. Some of my favorite quotes:

"Do n...more
Katie Watkins
This book contained a lot of practical advice on how to manage your kids and get the work around the house done. While I thought some of it was a good reminder for things that I basically already know, there was one thing that bothered me--the allowance issue. This author strongly recommends that you do not give in to the impulse to pay your kids for every day jobs, but to make them to do extra jobs to earn money. I think that's great for younger kids, but for teens who have more wants/needs, es...more
Brett Hinton
Enjoyed the book. It provides a lot of practical suggestions and generally advocates for a process-light approach as the process heavy approaches or often most difficult for the parents.. She doesn't try to make it sound easy and spends an entire chapter outlining common roadblocks that she and others have encountered and ways to overcome then. I appreciated that she honors the fact that while principles are transferable, practices/impementations are often unique to each family. All in all, a bo...more
Micah
Every book about parenting or raising kids I have read makes it sound so easy! Bowen tries to say this is what I did, and you can do it too. She tries to tell you it's hard, but she still makes it sound like it was easy for her. IT IS NOT EASY!!!!! She raised ten kids and still tries to makes it sound like life was great. She has some fun stories and good advice, but I think for her credibility's sake, she needs to tell us there were days where she cried her eyes out!
craftyashley
It didn't have the answers I was looking for. Every parent has a style, and hers just doesn't sync with mine. There were some interesting ideas, but I don't think they would be incorporated well into our life.
Stephanie
3.5--Quick read, and helpful--not so easy to implement. But then, raising kids isn't meant to be quick and easy.
Nicole
Common sense but I needs some new ideas to implement chores and work ethic.
Tara Carpenter
Tara Carpenter marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Mara
Mara marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Rebecca Scala
Rebecca Scala marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2013
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
Kendra
Kendra added it
Oct 07, 2013
Norah Baron
Norah Baron marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Nancee
Nancee marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2013
Jennifer is currently reading it
Feb 26, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2013
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2013
W.O.R.K.: Wonderful Opportunities for Raising Responsible Kids Simply Sane: Living Outside the Fast Lane Nobody's Better Than You, Mom Say You Love Me OLE Blue