Start by marking “কাবুলিওয়ালা” as Want to Read:
কাবুলিওয়ালা

কাবুলিওয়ালা

4.3  ·  Rating Details ·  1,529 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Set in the early twentieth century Kolkata, Kabuliwala delicately explores the bonds of friendship, affection and parting in the relationship between a middle-aged Pathan trader and a five year old Bengali girl. It is a simple tale of a father’s love for his daughter and the transfer of that love to another little girl. It is a love that transcends the borders of race, rel ...more
Published (first published 2003)

Binibining `E
This is a great short story. I love anything that tells a story of a father and daughter. I felt sad for the Kabuliwala, for people think bad of him. Even if he has done something wrong, I think he is one great father to his child. I love how he and Mini has become friends which I think solely reminds him of his own daughter. The stories and laughter they shared was heart warming.

Years may have passed some not good things happen to him but still he didn't forget about the little one. The end kin
Abdul
Feb 23, 2014 Abdul rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
What can I say about Rabindaranath Tagore? I implore Mr. Tagore for not having the best words for his story. The story was brief,simple and fascinating. The innocence of story is remarkable. After reading I can say that every person is like Kabuliwala finding a part of himself(dream,love etc) in others. Hence we all are connected.
Soumen Daschoudhury
Jul 06, 2015 Soumen Daschoudhury rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of short stories
It’s so easy to know you are in love yet so difficult to explain. A plethora of mixed emotions run through your heart and mind, inexplicable ones. It makes you restless, your heart skips at times like a watchful timid deer, at times an invisible needle pricks it causing a sweet pain, a pain you want to elude from but somehow enjoy it, when day dreaming is not an option but inadvertently becomes a need, a time when what you think and what you say are poles apart. You attempt to read a book but yo ...more
Vishnu Brahmandam
May 21, 2016 Vishnu Brahmandam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, short-story
This was so beautifully worded. I was a little surprised when I saw the story was so short.
I didn't realize it was a short story until I downloaded it.
It really touched my heart and made me feel very happy.

I actually postponed watching the movie when my Mother asked me to because it goes against one of my rules as a reader.
'Always read the book first. Always.'

Well, now that I've read it, I think I'll go watch the movie now.
Akshat Solanki
Dec 10, 2015 Akshat Solanki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the stories collection by the greatest literary person is so far one of the best reads for me.
The stories are just more insightful than anything else.
All stories tell you something, take you to the depth and bring out the required moral that need to be told in a friendly and firm way.
The short stories collection, however, makes you think more and more as they're so short and sweet that you expect more and more.
These stories are the reason why the author was awarded Nobel Prize. No doubt, his wri
Solomon Manoj
Aug 17, 2015 Solomon Manoj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There can be no substitute for the joy one derives from childhood memories.... Wish I get those days back :)
Ayesha
Mar 20, 2014 Ayesha rated it it was amazing
The story is set in the early twentieth century Kolkata. Kabuliwala delicately explores the bonds of friendship, affection and parting in the relationship between a middle-aged Pathan trader and a five year old Bengali girl. It is a simple tale of a father’s love for his daughter and the transfer of that love to another little girl. It is a love that transcends the borders of race, religion and language.
Shikha
Feb 17, 2014 Shikha rated it liked it
I Liked the story. it was pretty fascinating. i could somehow relate it with my childhood experiences.i admire the father child relation depicted and also the friendship between the 'kabuliwala' and mini.
just like the typical indian mothers, mini's mother is also over protective for her daughter and asks her husband to be cautious as well.
the ending to story is also pretty well. the girl is grown up with same cultures as other girls and has same morals.
Pravin Gandhi
One of my earliest reads and a famous Tagore story. I tell you story-telling is an ancient Indian art dating back to Panchatantra of 3000 BC. ANd in the modern era, it is the Bengali authors who have carried forward that tradition. A deeply moving story.
Harsha ganesan
Mar 06, 2012 Harsha ganesan rated it it was amazing
this is one of the best short story i have ever read .... states a father's true love :)
Sheetal Maurya (Halo of Books)
समीकषा:

'काबुलीवाला' रविंदरनाथ टैगोर के बहुचरचित कथाओं में से एक है। मैंने यह कहानी 'साहितय के विविध रंग' नामक कथा संकलित पुसतक में पढ़ी। कहानी के मुखय पातर मिनी और काबुलीवाला है। कहानी बंगाल के वातावरण में संकलित की गई है। मिनी, एक पांच साल की पयारी और बातूनी लड़की है, जो अपने बाबूजी, (जो कि कथा के कथावाचक भी है) की लाड़ली है। उनके मोहलले में रहमत नाम का एक काबुली रोज सूखे मेवों को बेचने आता है। मिनी पहले तो उसके झोले और लिबास को देखकर डरती है। फिर देखते ही देखते उसकी मितर बन जाती है। समय बीतने के
Saahil Singh
Aug 10, 2014 Saahil Singh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought the book cuz i had heard about kabuliwaala as a kid and always wanted to read it. This book is a collection of short stories by Tagore, who is one of the best authors of human emotion you can ever come across. The way he blends pathos with the perspective of the character is way too good, he shows you the mindset of the person in a way that you get very sentimental about the person's decisions and the ultimate fate they bring.
The stories are beautiful, the translation is masterclass wit
Elyse NG
As I really enjoyed the variety of the stories, as well as a very new perspective on '' India'' (meaning reading about it from an Indian author), I found it redundant to encounter the same dead-end in most of them. However, this may be because I am not so used to reading short stories altogether. Very interesting book and each story was very easy to read!
D
Apr 26, 2013 D rated it it was amazing
This is the second book I've read by Tagore. Never thought I'd enjoy reading something which has been written a century ago. Its evident that things haven't changed much for women since then. Overall an excellent read.
Nazish
Mar 17, 2013 Nazish rated it really liked it
Shelves: quick-reads
What can I say...it's a beautiful story of a friendship unmarked by age difference. My first of Tagore and more to come hopefully.
Om Mishra
JUST TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THE STORY.............AM NOT VERY CONVERSANT IN BENGALI....HINDI SPEAKING
STILL TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THE ENGLISH STORY

THE KABULIWALA/RABINDRANATH TAGORE
Idun
Sep 07, 2014 Idun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful words, beautiful portrayal of characters and images, dramatic and pensive in a perfect weight. This is way too good.
Div
May 03, 2015 Div rated it it was amazing
One of the best stories I have ever read. First time, read it in school and the movie based on the story is so touching. Balraj Sahni brings alive the Kabuliwala.
Astha Khare
Jul 06, 2015 Astha Khare rated it it was amazing
I don't really remember when, but I've read this awesome story long back. Another of Tagore's masterpieces!
Suyash Agrawal
Jun 23, 2014 Suyash Agrawal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5
Aditya Soni
Jan 06, 2013 Aditya Soni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good collection of stories by rabindranath tagore; from penguin publishers !
Mahendr bakolia
Jul 31, 2013 Mahendr bakolia rated it it was amazing
such a beautiful story really love this story and author
Parvathy
so sad. so touching. equally amazing
Bilahari
Nov 23, 2016 Bilahari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Little one, are you going to your father-in-law's house?"
Prakhar Chauhan
it will be a good book
Nupur Khan
Nov 06, 2015 Nupur Khan rated it liked it
to read it
Kanis
Aug 21, 2013 Kanis rated it it was amazing
I was only about 6 or 7 when I saw the movie... And even then I cried :( a sure tear jerker
Sameer
Jan 25, 2015 Sameer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bengali
why any father would like this story !
Priyanka
Jun 28, 2012 Priyanka rated it it was amazing
One the rare prescribed stories in school that I liked.
Sobe
  • ক্ষীরের পুতুল
  • Pather panchali: Song of the road
  • Kapalakundala
  • টেনিদা সমগ্র
  • Mother of 1084 (The Selected Works of Mahasweta Devi)
  • পাতালঘর
Awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1913 "because of his profoundly sensitive, fresh and beautiful verse, by which, with consummate skill, he has made his poetic thought, expressed in his own English words, a part of the literature of the West."

Tagore modernised Bengali art by spurning rigid classical forms and resisting linguistic strictures. His novels, stories, songs, dance-dramas, and ess
More about Rabindranath Tagore...