Start by marking “কাবুলিওয়ালা” as Want to Read:
কাবুলিওয়ালা

কাবুলিওয়ালা

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  985 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Set in the early twentieth century Kolkata, Kabuliwala delicately explores the bonds of friendship, affection and parting in the relationship between a middle-aged Pathan trader and a five year old Bengali girl. It is a simple tale of a father’s love for his daughter and the transfer of that love to another little girl. It is a love that transcends the borders of race, rel ...more
Published (first published February 19th 2014)

Mrityunjaya by Shivaji SawantTamas by Bhisham SahniYajnaseni by Pratibha Rayকাবুলিওয়ালা by Rabindranath TagoreGora by Rabindranath Tagore
Best Indian books in vernacular languages
4th out of 111 books — 65 voters
ফেলুদা সমগ্র  ১ by Satyajit Rayফেলুদা সমগ্র  ২ by Satyajit Rayপথের পাঁচালী by Bibhutibhushan Bandyopadhyayশঙ্কু সমগ্র by Satyajit Rayসেই সময় by Sunil Gangopadhyay
Best Bengali Reads
25th out of 127 books — 51 voters

More lists with this book...

Abdul
What can I say about Rabindaranath Tagore? I implore Mr. Tagore for not having the best words for his story. The story was brief,simple and fascinating. The innocence of story is remarkable. After reading I can say that every person is like Kabuliwala finding a part of himself(dream,love etc) in others. Hence we all are connected.
Aisha
The story is set in the early twentieth century Kolkata. Kabuliwala delicately explores the bonds of friendship, affection and parting in the relationship between a middle-aged Pathan trader and a five year old Bengali girl. It is a simple tale of a father’s love for his daughter and the transfer of that love to another little girl. It is a love that transcends the borders of race, religion and language.
Jyotirmoy Paul
Tragedies never end...but it is the best thing for a writer when he can paint the joy in the passive sentences of tragedy...Kabuliwala is something like that...read to feel the pain and joy of unknown simultaneously inside your heart..
Harsha ganesan
this is one of the best short story i have ever read .... states a father's true love :)
Saahil Singh
I bought the book cuz i had heard about kabuliwaala as a kid and always wanted to read it. This book is a collection of short stories by Tagore, who is one of the best authors of human emotion you can ever come across. The way he blends pathos with the perspective of the character is way too good, he shows you the mindset of the person in a way that you get very sentimental about the person's decisions and the ultimate fate they bring.
The stories are beautiful, the translation is masterclass wit
Shikha
I Liked the story. it was pretty fascinating. i could somehow relate it with my childhood experiences.i admire the father child relation depicted and also the friendship between the 'kabuliwala' and mini.
just like the typical indian mothers, mini's mother is also over protective for her daughter and asks her husband to be cautious as well.
the ending to story is also pretty well. the girl is grown up with same cultures as other girls and has same morals.
Prakhar Chauhan
Jun 23, 2014 Prakhar Chauhan marked it as to-read
it will be a good book
Pravin Gandhi
One of my earliest reads and a famous Tagore story. I tell you story-telling is an ancient Indian art dating back to Panchatantra of 3000 BC. ANd in the modern era, it is the Bengali authors who have carried forward that tradition. A deeply moving story.
Idun
Beautiful words, beautiful portrayal of characters and images, dramatic and pensive in a perfect weight. This is way too good.
D
This is the second book I've read by Tagore. Never thought I'd enjoy reading something which has been written a century ago. Its evident that things haven't changed much for women since then. Overall an excellent read.
Om Mishra
JUST TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THE STORY.............AM NOT VERY CONVERSANT IN BENGALI....HINDI SPEAKING
STILL TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THE ENGLISH STORY

THE KABULIWALA/RABINDRANATH TAGORE
Nazish
What can I say...it's a beautiful story of a friendship unmarked by age difference. My first of Tagore and more to come hopefully.
Kanis
I was only about 6 or 7 when I saw the movie... And even then I cried :( a sure tear jerker
Aditya Soni
Good collection of stories by rabindranath tagore; from penguin publishers !
Prakash
A master craftsman with a wonderful understanding of human beings..
Mahendr bakolia
such a beautiful story really love this story and author
Priyanka
One the rare prescribed stories in school that I liked.
Sobe
Oct 21, 2012 Sobe added it
amazing Mina!
Salman
Salman marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Arnab Roy
Arnab Roy marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
TheNamelessBoy
TheNamelessBoy marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Atul Goon
Atul Goon marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Abu Sayem
Abu Sayem marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Azwad Enam
Azwad Enam marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
  • Mother of 1084
  • পার্থিব
  • দেশে বিদেশে
  • টেনিদা সমগ্র
Awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1913 "because of his profoundly sensitive, fresh and beautiful verse, by which, with consummate skill, he has made his poetic thought, expressed in his own English words, a part of the literature of the West."

Tagore modernised Bengali art by spurning rigid classical forms and resisting linguistic strictures. His novels, stories, songs, dance-dramas, and ess
More about Rabindranath Tagore...
Gitanjali The Home and the World Chokher Bali Gora Short Stories From Rabindranath Tagore