DawnSinger (Tales of Faeraven, #1)

DawnSinger (Tales of Faeraven #1)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  31 reviews
The High Queen is dying... At the royal summons, Shae mounts a wingabeast and soars through the air to the high hold of Faeraven, where all is not as it seems. Visions warn her of danger, and a dark soul touches hers in the night. When she encounters an attractive but disturbing musician, her wayward heart awakens. But then there is Kai, a guardian of Faeraven and of Shae....more
Published 2012 by Harbourlight

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Orb of Truth by Brae WyckoffThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Christian Fantasy
43rd out of 284 books — 411 voters
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussHis Dark Materials by Philip Pullman
Best Fantasy Books
159th out of 792 books — 929 voters

More lists with this book...

Holly Weiss
Fantasy is not my usual genre when I reach for a book, but Janalyn Voigt has won me over with DawnSinger, Book One in her Tales of Faeraven series. DawnSinger transports the reader to an enigmatic and endearing alternative history. Princess Shae and Kai, her protector, navigate a journey through a rich Renaissance-like fantasy world.

This is fiercely inventive storytelling with fluid, descriptive prose and consistently time specific dialogue. Brimming with imagery and symbolism, the book delights...more
Jill Williamson
When a royal summons arrives from the High Queen, Shae travels to Faeraven to find the queen on her deathbed. But something else is not right. Dark visions haunt her, so she stays near to Kai, a guardian of Faeraven. A urgent journey to release the DawnKing sends Shae and Kai far from home where they battle many beasts. But sometimes victory comes only through surrender.

Here is the first in a new fantasy series for adults. But older teens will enjoy it too. In DawnSinger, Janalyn Voigt has penne...more
Larry B Gray
What a fascinating story and adventure. DawnSinger by Janalyn Voigt kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time I read it. Its fast paced action and evolving storyline made it hard to put the book down. The storyline was easy to follow and the characters were well developed and believable.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and cannot wait for the next installment.

I highly recommend “DawnSinger” by Janalyn Voigt as a must read for all age groups. If you enjoy fantasy adventure you will love this b...more
Lynn
I loved reading DawnSinger by Janalyn Voigt. I was taken back to a time of the Renaissance and saw myself in the main character, Shea. We all fight the demons in the shadows that exist in our own imaginations and I was blessed with Shea’s struggles and triumphs. I read the book on the edge of my seat. I could not put it down. I wanted to ride Wingabeasts with Kai and Shea forever. But alas the story came to an end…or did it. I cannot wait to read the sequel! Thanks Janalyn for an amazing story.
Christine Lindsay
Dawn Singer by Janalyn Voight is such a delight to read. As an old fan of the Dragons of Pern series and of course, The Lord of the Rings, etc, it was great to find a new author who can wing me away on a fantasy novel. I’ve been looking a long time for a novelist who can take me to a world of wing-a-beasts, sword-play, evil in the dark shadows, and glorious light in the frail but stalwart heroes, as well as a sweet and breath-taking love.

There’s plenty of action and danger in this story of Shae...more
Linda
At the request of Lof Raelein, High Queen Maeven, Shae, Princess of Whellein, flies off on Kai’s wingabeast to be at the Queen’s side as she lay ailing close to death. Amidst rumors of danger about the Welkes, giant creatures of prey, Kai and Shae risk their lives to be at Lof Raelein’s side. Kai is a Guardian of Rivenn and Maeven’s personal guard. He is also the known brother of Shae.

Secrets are unveiled, and Shae must make a dangerous trip to Lohen Keil to release the DawnSinger by singing Kun...more
JoJo Sutis
Fans of Christian Fantasy Fiction will NOT want to miss DAWNSINGER!!!
Janalyn Voigt has reminded me of all the things I love about this genre…the beauty, the adventure, the epic-ness.
I really cannot believe I did not discover this author/series sooner!
I highly praise Janalyn’s addictive writing style- she really sucks you into her fictional world….I didn’t want to leave!
The main characters Kai & Shae are not only likable and relatable, but believable ( I really need my characters to come to l...more
Rachel Leightman
What a marvelous book! I just finished "Dawn Singer," and I can hardly describe how much I loved it! The writing was beautiful, the setting imaginative yet believable, the characters complex, and the story compelling.

I loved the world that the author created; it was so well-developed I kept flipping to the map and index at the back of the book for reference (I can't recall ever doing that before). My favorite thing about it, though, is that the soul and body in her story are blended in a way tha...more
Kimberly
Fantasy and Adventure
This is a tale filled with lands only imagined and characters both intriguing and terrifying. The land and everything the reader encounters is richly described to make everything seem quite imaginable and real. All fans of fantasy genres will be excited to become acquainted with the world of Faeraven.
The story is a typical fantasy, with much drama and strange occurrences. The characters are quickly brought into your heart so I found myself holding my breath many times while...more
Pamela S Thibodeaux
I've read this book and let me tell you, this is some amazing writing! I'm not much on fantasy and can't even imagine creating whole new worlds but this book grabbed me from the beginning and didn't let go. I read it in one day - forgetting all other things I had to do....the setting, descriptions and poetic prose kept me turning pages and I can hardly wait for the second book in the trilogy!

Disclosure: I hosted a spot on the blog tour for this book and received a copy for review.
Ellayne Shaw
I would give this a 3.5 star rating. That is, I enjoyed the story and the created fantasy world and mythology very much. I can clearly picture the world in which the story was set, and that doesn't always happen when I read a book. The various concepts unique to this world--the shil shael was especially interesting to me--are well wrought. In fact, the world building alone was just top notch. A lot of details made the world come alive. I also appreciated the christology of the novel. It was ther...more
Donna
Love and duty...faith and trust...all wrapped up to make this quest one of discovery. What a phenomenal story. Well written like the best in fantasy - certainly a match for Tolkien and the best of this genre.

Ms. Voigt has woven a tale that carries you along on the wind of the journey. You'll smile and laugh and cry and gasp at times as she guides you on this quest along with Shae and Kai.

Excellent story!
Donna Mcginnis
I love fantasy books and this is one of the best that I have ever read. What a well written and imaginative story. This book comes to life and I could picture myself with Kai and Shae and the other characters seeing what they saw and the perils they faced. It kept me on the edge of my seat. Full of secrets unveiled, evil, danger, adventures, suspense, intrigue, faith and an unlikely romance.Also loved the poetic prose and the glossary and map were a big bonus. Can't wait to read the next book in...more
Carrie Gould
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Janalyn Voigt has invented a fantasy world that is believable. The main characters, Shea and Kai, were likable and I was drawn in by their story and challenges. The descriptions were detailed enough to give you an idea of the strange creatures and circumstances you expect to find in a fantasy, and vague enough that you could also draw on your own imagination. I would definitely recommend this book and look forward to the next book in the series.

I received a copy o...more
Victor Gentile
Janalyn Voigt in her new book, “DawnSinger” Book One in the Tales Of Faeraven series published by Harbourlight Books takes us into the lives of Shae and Kai.

From the back cover: The High Queen is dying…

But then...more
Forrest Schultz
Faeraven Enters The Mythosphere

A review of

Janalyn Voigt DawnSinger (Harbourlight Books, 2012)
342 pp $16.99 ISBN-10: 1611162009 ISBN-13: 978-1611162004

Reviewed by: Forrest Schultz

The Mythosphere, discovered by Dianna Wynne Jones, is expanding at an ever increasing rate as ever more great fantasy worlds are produced. The latest entry into Faerie is named Faeraven by its creator, Janalyn Voigt, whose debut novel DawnSinger takes us there via the unforgettable tale of Princess Shae, who through...more
Kristen Stieffel
Kai and Shae, the central characters in DawnSinger, are intriguing and engaging. They’re been raised as brother and sister, but Kai knows this is a ruse. Shae’s true identity has been concealed for her own protection. This puts an unusual twist on their relationship, especially when the court minstrel starts flirting with Shae. The romantic element is a relatively small part of the story, but it’s filled with unexpected intricacies and ties firmly into the main plot.

The first half of the book is...more
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
I found this story to be quite amazing and full of adventure and suspense! Shae and Kai are brother and sister, or has there been an alteration of the truth to protect ones real heritage! When Kai starts to figure out that their relationship is a lie, he starts putting together the truth of what the future has in store. Once Kai finds out the truth he becomes her protector in the story. The first half of the book is plot after plot of what is happening in the High Queens Court. The second half i...more
Sarah Gunning Moser
Apr 15, 2013 Sarah Gunning Moser added it Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Sarah by: My writers' group
DawnSinger centers on Shae and Kai, protagonists sent on a perilous journey to serve their kingdom and fulfill destiny. Fraught with political danger and intrigue, riveting battles, and a quest not unlike that for the Holy Grail, DawnSinger describes a world that doesn’t exist…except in our minds. Shae and Kai battle evil but also confront their personal foibles and demons.

As an English teacher and student of medieval history, discovering Janalyn Voigt’s writing was a delight. With a bold, clea...more
Ryanpaigehoward
I've been following Janalyn Voigt for about a year now. Eagerly waiting for her fantasy debut to release. DawnSinger will forever go down as one of my all time favorite books. Epically beautiful are perfect words to call it.

From the very first page you are sucked into a fast flying adventure. I finished DawnSinger in two days and wondered back to it for days afterwards. My mind could not escape the wonderful tale I just read. Kai and Shae were so real that is was hard to say goodbye to them.

Ther...more
Candace

**2.5 stars / 5.0 stars**

DawnSinger is definitely not a bad book, in case that's how you interpret a 2.5 star rating, yet this book just didn't resonate with me personally. I read it in one day, so this book was by no means a chore to get through, but nothing really made it stand out. After all, there's nothing I love more than a fun fantasy adventure, but even though DawnSinger started with a lot of promise, I felt that it never really took off.

Essentially, all the exposition in the first part...more
Yvonne De
It was an exciting book with beautiful descriptions of the landscape. With enimy infiltration, assasins and the beginning of battles/war for the "crown". During a journey to the place from whitch the peace saviour must be released, there are attacks from different kinds of dangerous animals and magic as well. It´s also a story about growing love threatened by black magic. The first part I would without doubt give 5 stars. But the second part I found to som extent repetitive so I think 4(+) stars...more
Suzanne Hartmann
Excellent epic fantasy!
Jamie
Feb 07, 2013 Jamie marked it as abandoned
I feel really bad.

I mean I tried to keep reading, but I found myself skipping over paragraphs or pages entirely, which is probably why I'm confused about what is going on and what exactly she's fighting for.

I got up to 64%, but I just don't think I'll be able to finish it because I'm losing interest.

I'm sorry. I try not to put any books on my abandoned shelf, but I'm already halfway through the book. I highly doubt I'll go back and try to read it.
Olivia
While I liked this book, it felt very slow reading. Perhaps because the chapters were so long, it felt like it took a while to finish one. But it was a good read. There are lots of names and such made for the book, for which little to no description is given (especially for trees and animals). However! There is a glossary at the back! I found it when it was pretty much finished with the book, but it is helpful to learn what things looked like in that world.
Kim Justice
Sep 28, 2012 Kim Justice rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Kim by: The Author
Shelves: reviewed
Suspense, danger, visions, love, secrets, okay enough of one word descriptions. "I LOVE THIS BOOK!" All of those special things that alone might not stand in a book, but author Janalyn Volgt has taken all of them and many many more to this awesome book.

To see more of my review please clink link below:
Breath of Life Review
Ralene
May 23, 2013 Ralene rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: fantasy, adults
I really enjoyed DawnSinger. Despite the action, it took me a few pages to get into it--I think it might have been the formality of the writing--but once I did, it didn't take me long to finish it. Janalyn tells a great story. Her characters show a lot of depth. Her main character struggles with a lot of the emotions and temptations that we do everyday, and Janalyn portrays her struggles and decisions well.
Melinda
Janalyn Voigt is a master of beautiful poetic descriptions. Her prose is spellbinding. I was captivated by her words as she drew me into an imaginary world of wingabeasts and adventure. This is great YA read, and I loved it as an adult. Definitely worth your time! Enjoy this tale and the ones coming. I highly recommend this to all readers who love Lord of the Rings and similar fantasy worlds. A great tale!
Bill Tillman
DawnSinger (Tales of Faeraven) is the work of Janalyn Voight a master storyteller. The quest to find and release the Dawn King is a journey of discovery and peril fraught with magic, blood and obstacles Shae and Kai must overcome. A page turner from beginning to end that will leave you on the edge of your seat. This is one tale you cannot anticipate what comes next. A great read.
Maggie
Spellbinding excellent book. Easy,smooth flowing story with plenty of action. I shall definitely look forward to other books from this author
Christian Readers: Christian Allegorical Fantasy Giveaway 1 6 Oct 30, 2012 12:27PM
  • The Rude Buay Trilogy
  • High Witch (High Witch, #1)
  • Hunting
  • The Phantom Queen Awakes
  • Endless
  • Dust (Of Dust and Darkness, #1)
  • Dragon Empire
  • Elements of the Undead Omnibus (Books 1-3)
  • Dragon Frost
  • The Sundered
  • Prophet (Books of the Infinite, #1)
  • Caterpillar (The Metamorphosis Trilogy #1)
  • From Darkness Won (Blood of Kings, #3)
  • Morning Star (Equinox #1)
  • Prophecies Awakening (Legends of Marithia, #1)
  • Uprising (Fires of Providence, #1)
  • Sworn to Raise (Courtlight #1)
  • The Millennial Sword
Upcoming Author Q&A: Join the discussion on the allegory, creatures, and characters of DawnSinger and Wayfarer, the first two books in the Tales of Faeraven epic fantasy trilogy. This group with be active from 10 am Pacific Time until 4 pm Pacific time on Saturday, February 8th, 2014 https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

Escape into creative worlds of fiction.

I'm currently working on DawnKi...more
More about Janalyn Voigt...
Wayfarer (Tales of Faeraven, #2) The Christian Writer's Coach: How to Get the Most out of a Writers Conference