Start by marking “The Michael Eric Dyson Reader” as Want to Read:
The Michael Eric Dyson Reader

The Michael Eric Dyson Reader

Acclaimed for his writing on Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, Jr., Tupac Shakur, and many more, Michael Eric Dyson has emerged as the leading African-American intellectual of his generation. This collection gathers the best of Dyson's vast and growing body of work from the last several years: his most incisive commentary, the most stirring passages, and the sharpest, most pr ...more
Published December 1st 2004 by Basic Civitas Books (first published January 7th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Michael Eric Dyson Reader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Michael Eric Dyson Reader

When I first read a Michael Eric Dyson book, I was a bit nonplussed. What was the big deal?

Then I get to see the full range of his thought on display, and fuuuuck. Like few others (Camus being one stand-out), this is a man who just kind of soaks it all up and spins it around inside a constantly, actively working head. A self-made man who doesn't come off as self-righteous (well a bit, how can you not be, but way less so than I'd be), a Baptist minister I can actually accord some respect to, and
Oct 01, 2010 Ellen rated it really liked it
Michael Eric Dyson is our favorite social commentator. He always adds to the conversation. His essays are important and they help broaden the conversation about race in America.
Prince Samuel
Jun 11, 2011 Prince Samuel rated it it was amazing
A collection of essays that digs in to the challenges of modern society, looking into the issues of race, class, culture & multiculturalism. I strongly remmend it.
Stephen Matlock
Mar 09, 2016 Stephen Matlock rated it really liked it
It's a compendium of interviews and essays from someone who is just very, very smart on a lot of topics. Not shy about himself.
Sep 13, 2008 Warner rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
A very heavy book. Deep
LaShana Claude
Apr 27, 2016 LaShana Claude rated it it was amazing
A really good reader to have on hand if for no other thing but inspiration. He is brilliant. I am fascinated by the way he walked in and got his Phd with no hassle. There's also a debate, I think in the reader where he describes affirmative action and inequality in terms of a house. That is my favorite part. I read Come Hell or High Water too but I am not going to review. I'll just say both are ready good.
Apr 03, 2014 Derek rated it really liked it
Amazing and dense. I was lucky enough to hear Dr. Dyson speak when I was in college and thoroughly enjoyed every second. This book was a prep for the lecture. It was nice to revisit this again. I'd forgotten how cerebral his material is!
There are a lot of good points to take from the book. I found myself using the dictionary to look up words Dyson had used which is typical when I read any of his books. A quote from the book I liked.

"One must constantly evolve and regenerate, stretching the boundaries of identity in a way that permits you to integrate new strains, new molds, new themes, and new ideas into the evolving self-awareness that occupies your heart and mind".

I forgot the year I bought this book and finished it.
Winter Sophia Rose
Mar 14, 2015 Winter Sophia Rose rated it it was amazing
Expressive, Informative & Convincing! A Powerful Read!
Mar 06, 2008 Darrell rated it it was amazing
the man is a giant - a Baptist preacher who is brave enough to explore the homoeroticism of the Bible and shake his head at homophobia, a historian, a feminist, a film critic, a public intellectual, on Tavis Smiley's couch and Davey D's radio show like he was a fixture, a liberal from my parent's generation who listens to and can appreciate hip hop.

this was a great read that was made better by a majority of the brothers at my place of work being familiar with it....
Aug 30, 2007 Jeannie rated it liked it
This may have been one of the most information packed books Ive ever read. I thought it would be some fairly light reading but I ende uo needing a highlighter for all of the interesting quotes and monologues. It really showcased Mr. Dyson's strong views on topics like apartheid, anti semitism, and the hip hop's role in todays language and writing. He's a another Cornel West.
Jul 11, 2007 E rated it liked it
Recommends it for: amst and wmst and interdisciplinary minded folks
this man is a genius.

i couldn't finish this book before the library wanted it back and i couldn't renew it because someone else wants it.

guess who's coming to georgetown (to be a professor)?!?

Dyson in person at Politics and Prose Bookstore on July 19

Jul 15, 2008 Tam rated it it was ok
I have to say that when I first picked up this book I was uber excited. However, getting through it was a bit tough. After awhile just felt like I was at church for hip hopers.
Christopher Clinton
Aug 09, 2008 Christopher Clinton rated it really liked it
I disagree with some of his thoughts and hypotheses, especially his retort to Bill Cosby's view of Black America. However, he is still a powerhouse of a scholar.
Maria Noel
Nov 28, 2007 Maria Noel rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christians
Great compilation and collection of an array of Dyson's work.
Tm marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2016
Seve marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2016
Portia marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2016
Valerie marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2016
Sara marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2016
Tristan marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2016
Derek hill
Derek hill marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2016
James marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2016
Randomocrity marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Melanie is currently reading it
Sep 28, 2016
Linton Brown
Linton Brown is currently reading it
Sep 23, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
DavidGordon marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Susan added it
Sep 15, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
  • White Over Black: American Attitudes Toward the Negro, 1550-1812
  • Democracy Matters: Winning the Fight Against Imperialism
  • No Name in the Street
  • All Things Censored
  • Martin and Malcolm and America: A Dream or a Nightmare?
  • Beyond The Whiteness of Whiteness: Memoir of a White Mother of Black Sons
  • Dreams of Africa in Alabama: The Slave Ship Clotilda and the Story of the Last Africans Brought to America
  • If You Can't Be Free, Be a Mystery: In Search of Billie Holiday
  • The Angela Y. Davis Reader
  • How Capitalism Underdeveloped Black America: Problems in Race, Political Economy, and Society (Updated Edition)
  • Black Sexual Politics: African Americans, Gender, and the New Racism (PB)
  • It's the Little Things: Everyday Interactions That Anger, Annoy, and Divide the Races
  • Voices from Slavery: 100 Authentic Slave Narratives
  • Why I Hate Abercrombie and Fitch: Essays on Race and Sexuality
  • In Search of Sisterhood: Delta Sigma Theta and the Challenge of the Black Sorority Movement
  • The Five Percenters: Islam, Hip hop and the Gods of New York
  • Death Without Weeping: The Violence of Everyday Life in Brazil
  • Power Reading: The Best, Fastest, Easiest, Most Effective Course on Speedreading and Comprehension Ever Developed: The Fastest, Best, Easiest Course on Speedreading and Comprehension Ever Developed!
Michael Eric Dyson is an American academic, author, and radio host. He is a professor of sociology at Georgetown University.
More about Michael Eric Dyson...