Start by marking “Conquering your Goliaths: A Parable of the Five Stones” as Want to Read:
Conquering your Goliaths: A Parable of the Five Stones

Conquering your Goliaths: A Parable of the Five Stones

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  47 reviews
David gathered 5 smooth stones to meet and defeat Goliath. What did these stones represent and how can you use them to conquer Goliaths in your own personal quests? Ms. Virginia Bean will show you how.

Travel with her on her own personal journey. See what she does. Learn how she grows. Discover what she becomes.

“Conquering your Goliaths—A Parable of the Five Stones” is for
Published January 22nd 2012 by Create Space (first published September 28th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Conquering your Goliaths, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conquering your Goliaths

Mishael
I'll be honest. When the call came through the Facebook reviewers group of which Ms. Jones and I are both members, I read the title and thought, 'I would LOVE to read this book. I might get something out of it.' Of course, there was also the chance that this book rehashed all the other information I've read and studied over the past year or two since I've gotten really serious about my own career as an indie author. But, thankfully, it doesn't!

Granted, the section on social media marketing didn'
Carol Round
"Marketing Your Book on a Budget," by Kathryn Elizabeth Jones, is small but full of wonderful inexpensive and free ideas to market your book. Although I have taken many webinars and workshops and read many books, this one gave me some new ideas that will be easy to implement in my book marketing plan. I don't think we can ever learn enough about marketing because it is constantly changing with the advent of social media. Jones does, however, address traditional marketing as well as social media ...more
Rachel
Kathryn Jones summarizes exactly enough information to get a newbie author going on their first promotional campaign. I appreciated her concise approach to the subject and appreciated the resources she offered to get the readers started. I have been around the indie publishing world awhile, and I still found helpful information in this book.
Kristi (Books and Needlepoint)
So one day Susan just leaves her job and her husband, gets on a bus, and begins a new life as Jenny. She easily gets a job cleaning hotel rooms at a cheap, but once glamorous, hotel. The tenants are strange, but it allows her to keep a low profile and begin to put some money away until she really begin her new life.

There is the man across the hall who seems to have developed a crush on her; the salesman who never seems to make any sales and leaves his room immaculate; the slob who lives down th
Paula Hrbacek
I received a copy of “Marketing Your Book on a Budget 2013” as a free Kindle download when I responded to a discussion posted on Linked In. The author, Kathryn Jones, is a published romance author who shares some of the avenues she has found for marketing a fiction book. As such, it is limited to her experience, and should be titled “Marketing Your Romance on a Budget.”
It is a good start for someone who doesn’t have a clue about what to do about marketing a book. Many self-published authors jump
Stephanie Keyes
I am generally not a fan of non-fiction. Unfortunately, many of the authors that I've read in the genre gloss over the importance of writing relevant content. Which means that, as a a reader, I am subjected to a substantial amount of data that I either don't have time to read or doesn't apply to me. When you mix in the dry writing styles that often accompany non-fiction books, then you can end up with, well, a snooze-fest.

[[ASIN:B0094XV6MA Marketing Your Book On A Budget]] is the polar opposite
Melissa
This review was originally posted on Melissa's Midnight Musings on November 16, 2012.

A few months ago Kathryn stopped by my blog to talk about What Your Reading Genre Says About You. I learned quite a bit about my own reading preferences from her post. Recently I read her book, Scrambled. Here are my thoughts on it.

I have to start out by saying that I don't read cozy mysteries all that often. I actually can't remember the last time I read one before this one. Maybe it's because I don't read them
Itsjustme-wendy
This is like a whole series of selfhelp books all rolled up neatly into 104 pages and disguised as a fiction story! Very clever indeed! You could read this book and not even know that you are learning something. I found myself highlighting and taking notes all through the book, but also really enjoying the story.

This is a short book that could be easily read in a day, but I took 3 days to read it. Why? - well it wasn't slow that's for sure. It was because I didn't want to miss anything! I didn't
Roberta Goodman
When the company she works for relocates to another state, Virginia Bean loses a job she’s held for ten years. With no replacement employment lined up, she’s floundering trying to figure out what to do next. Showing up for a job interview, she finds herself embarking on an unexpected spiritual path. Insights, like the fact she hadn’t been happy at her previous job, begin to reveal themselves.

Conquering Your Goliaths~ A Parable of the Five Stones by Kathryn Elizabeth Jones is a self-help book con
Jansina
As a small business owner and an author, marketing is always on my mind. To be honest, I was hoping for but not expecting something new from this book.

It's true that I had seen many of the tips before, but Jones expanded on them in new ways.

The author not only gives ideas of "what" to do, she gives the "how" and even the "why." There are helpful links throughout the book, as well as tips to find others.

This is a book I will refer back to over and over.

As a professional editor, I feel compelled t
Ritu Gupta
When I was offered this book for a review, I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm glad I accepted and read this short book that is packed with commonsense wisdom. As you read it, you realize you should know this, but didn't or didn't think it through.

Often we ignore the solutions right in front of us and search for the magic bullet. This book reinforces the basics. There is no magic bullet. Do the things that are right, do them continuously, and the results will follow.

I have revamped my own book's
Dennis Berry
This fantastic little how-to guide by Kathryn Elizabeth Jones packs quite a punch. There is an old saying: good things come in small packages. This is definitely true with this book. While the book is shorter, there is tons of useful information inside that will show a self publishing author how, where, and even why, to promote their books, often with little or no cost. The book even contains links to the authors favorite promotional websites. You can’t get much better than that. If you’re a sel ...more
Itsjustme-wendy
I listened to the audio version of this book which was fun! I think I did enjoy it more that way.
This book was enjoyable enough, I just didn't love it nearly as much as the first one - 'Conquering Your Goliaths'. For some reason Virginia, the main character, was really annoying to me in this one and I don't remember her being like that at all in the first book. So that kinda ruined it for me right away. I liked all the other characters, I just found her to be way too whiny.
This is definitely a
Perry Martin
Conquering Your Goliaths: A Parable of the Five Stones This audiobook written by Kathryn Elizabeth Jones and Narrated by Nancy Peterson is a story about a women who receives 5 stones from God. Each one with its unique meaning and given at a unique time to teach her a lesson. Besides the stones themselves this book had nothing to do with Goliath or David.

The narrator tell the story like she was reading to school children at story time but this is not a children's book. It is a serious book about
Mike Nach
Awesome! Inspiring! Motivational! That’s what this book is about!
Kathryn Elizabeth Jones has written a self help book cleverly disguised as a fictionalized story. The story unfolds with Ms. Virginia Bean showing up for a job interview and meeting God. God makes her realize who she is and discusses her purpose in life. She discovers many aspects of her life that she was not aware of.
She gets to meet God often. During each meeting, He gives her a stone. She receives five stones. These stones rep
Kathleen Davis
I recently became acquainted with author Kathryn Elizabeth Jones. In the short time I have known her, Kathryn has restored my faith that there are good people who write wholesome work with a message that will resonate with every reader.

Upon reading the first few paragraphs of Jones’ book, Conquering Your Goliaths: A Parable of the Five Stones, I knew immediately that I would like it. Kathryn has a natural ease in her writing that invites you to sit back and savor each word. In this story we foll
Marquita Herald
Don’t let the size of this book fool you, it’s a terrific quick start guide to help new authors learn how to market their books. Kathryn Elizabeth Jones gets right to the point in each section, providing excellent tips and resources, as well as examples from her personal journey as an author. Whether you're building momentum for your book or preparing to publish, you’ll find valuable insight and information in Marketing Your Book on a Budget.
A.G. Porter
This book was a great addition to Christian Fiction. I use the word fiction loosely as the story itself was a work of fiction, but the lessons and biblical references are very real. I enjoyed the fact that this book wasn't a boring, step-by-step instructional on how the author thought the Christian walk should be. She wrote a story about a very relatable and likable character, Ms. Virginia Bean, as she faced real life struggles, fears and hardships. It was also amazing that this book came to me ...more
Shauna
Do you have a Goliath in your life?
A problem or situation that is bigger than you and more daunting that you have strength to handle?

Do you struggle with insecurities or worries?
Then think about David...

David slew Goliath with a few simple stones...

Read this story of Ms. Virginia Bean who needs help with her very personal problem of being laid off and not being able to find another job.

As she talks with a man in a fisherman's hat he gives her the gift of 5 stones...

Each stone represents an aspec
Mareena
Feb 10, 2014 Mareena rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Christian fiction
Recommended to Mareena by: Kathryn Elizabeth Jones
Virginia has experienced the power and direction of the five stones, and has grown so much closer in her relationship with God. Now, five years on, Virginia will need to use the stones once again. For entirely different reasons.

Keeping her marriage together is not the only thing on Virginia's mind. Her successful business Just Desserts is beginning to founder, her five-year marriage is in trouble and apparently having a child isn't going to happen in the usual way. Virginia is convinced that ado
Kathleen Kelly
The cupcake and diamond ring on the cover of The Feast really does have a story to it. The cupcake with its pretty frosting can take care of a child's fantasy and the ring can feed a hungry family. I loved the significance of the cover to the story's plot. We met Virginia in the "Conquering Your Goliaths"
A Parable of the Five Stones, where she is a very unhappy woman. You should read this book, then you will understand the significance of the stones to Virginia's life so far. Now Virginia is fee
Kathleen Kelly
A parable is a brief and to the point story, in prose or verse, which illustrates one or more instructive principles, or lessons. In Conquering your Goliaths the reader is introduced to an analogy to David and Goliath in that Goliath had 5 stones instead of one. This parable is a realistically told story that seems probable and takes place in a familiar setting of life, meaning the life of Ms. Virginia Bean. She recently lost her job and finds herself going to an interview for a new one. There s ...more
Cindy
Susan left home, she just walked off her job one day and never went home. Moving to a larger city and taking a job, using an alias, she is trying to start over. However as she works hard, saving her money to go on somewhere she has dreamed of going, life takes a unexpected turn. A neighbor in the hotel/apt. building she lives in and works at, turns up dead and the owner forces her to help him take the body away. He wants to hide the crime and keep it disconnected from the hotel. However when thr ...more
Linda
I consider Conquering Your Goliaths–A Parable of Five Stones, by Kathryn Elizabeth Jones, to be an allegorical story of the Christian life. The book was slow in getting me into the story, but once the stones started appearing, I wanted to keep reading. These spiritual truths are so vital to the Christian walk, and Kathryn puts the journey into a whole new perspective that is enlightening and yet very real to everyone’s life.

The story of salvation is told through the wine-press of the Old Testame
Mareena
May 12, 2013 Mareena rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Christian fiction
Recommended to Mareena by: Kathryn Elizabeth Jones
David gathered five smooth stones to meet and defeat the giant Goliath. What did each of these stones represent and how can you use them to conquer Goliaths on your own personal quests through life? Ms. Virginia Bean will show you how.

Join her as she travels on her own personal journey. See what she does. Learn how she grows. Discover what she becomes.

Conquering Your Goliaths: A Parable of the Five Stones by Kathryn Elizabeth Jones is for anyone desiring to travel beyond mediocrity, pain and fea
Lianne
This review in its entirety was originally posted at caffeinatedlife.net: http://www.caffeinatedlife.net/blog/2...

As the author mentions at her preface, this book is very much straight to the point. It provides readers with advice about how to go about marketing and promoting their newly published novels, how to approach book bloggers for review to using social media and handling book signings and other social events where you can talk about and feature your novel. As a book blogger who does rec
Shayna Gier
What I Loved:

Kathryn is a wonderful storyteller, and this is apparent from the very first page. There's so much description throughout the entire story, detailing the stones that Ms. Virginia Bean is given, as well as the environments where Virginia lives. Virginia is a character who is very easy to relate to.

The story is very fast paced, with absolutely no superfluous details at all. It's a very easy read, with really applicable lessons to the reader. I have to compare it to a condensed, simpli
Cathy Speight
I should perhaps have taken greater notice of the content of this book before deciding to read it.

I’m not a spiritual person, I’m not a religious person, and I’m not one of those people who feeds off self-motivational material. I’m very grounded. So, I found this a very hard short story to read – you need to be spiritual, Christian, God-fearing to appreciate it. I am none of those things. So for those of you that are, you will probably enjoy this short parable, you’ll understand the message and
Sheila
David took five smooth stones into battle against Goliath, not just one. And author Kathryn Elizabeth Jones weaves a story of stones that combines life’s mist-steps and failures into one glorious message. The tone is pleasingly plain, not preachy, not filled with psycho-analysis, but simply pulling the reader into Virginia Bean’s dilemma. For suddenly, after all these years, she’s lost the job that gave meaning and shape to her life.

As Virginia, well-dressed, well-prepared and suitably determine
Warren Thurston
Kathryn Elizabeth Jones has created an amazing book about marriage, commitment and God. Virginia and Richard Green live in a childless union. They tried for five years to bring a child into the world, now all between them has broken down.

In the beginning the couple felt a strong commitment to each other as the flood of love washed over them. They thought their love for each other and for God would carry them through all of life’s troubles. But doubt had crept in about their love and of God’s com
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
When I was young I thought I had to sound like a great writer to be one. It was all so overwhelming; now I know I only need to sound like myself. My ideas come from two primary sources. My work might spark from the enlightening words of a friend, teacher or writing prompt. At other times, I am sitting in a very still space and the words I should write come to me like a powerful and glowing wind.

My
More about Kathryn Elizabeth Jones...