Start by marking “The Druid (Frank Delaney Storytellers)” as Want to Read:
The Druid (Frank Delaney Storytellers)

The Druid (Frank Delaney Storytellers #1)

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  61 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
ebook, Nook
Published December 15th 2011 by MEIER (first published December 13th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Druid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Druid

Viviane Crystal
Feb 16, 2012 Viviane Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frank Delaney begins this story with a preface about the well-known Bards of Ireland, their various names, their powers, political connections, place in the community, and their wonderful story-telling abilities. Frank Delaney here continues the tradition in this series of short stories, the first being "The Druid"!

This is a truly magical story about a crazy Druid who also knew how to manipulate the people he served with his powers. It's such a short story and not to be ruined by telling too muc
Julie
Mar 27, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads, fiction
This is part of a series of short stories the author has written and if you haven't experienced him yet, than this is a good place to start. This book was a wonderful little short story and reminded me of the mini stories within author's novel, Ireland. Tie in some mythology and magic, and you have a very good story.

I enjoyed the introduction, as the author explores the idea of storytellers, setting up the atmosphere of listening to the story teller personally telling the story the reader, focus
Cheri
Feb 26, 2012 Cheri rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Delaney Fans, Irish Folklore,
".... and an old man with a long parchment face comes in, shakes the weather from the shoulders of his long black coat, sits down, accepts a glass of whiskey, lights his pipe and begins...

Long long ago, when the pigs ate the apples off the trees and the birds flew upside down, there lived a crazy druid. Who wasn't crazy at all. He was a busy fellow, because the Irish people have always been interested in religion, and he made a good living by pretending sometimes to be crazy. Let's say that he w
Diane Meier
Dec 15, 2011 Diane Meier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Masterful Blend of Dtory and Style

This review is from: The Druid (Frank Delaney Storytellers) (Kindle Edition)
Understanding the nature and the rules of the Oral Tradition of storytelling is something Frank so eloquently illustrated in his best-selling book, "Ireland"; bringing a traveling storyteller to our fireside and allowing us to be transfixed by a blend of story and style. It's a heady mixture, and one to which we willingly surrender.

In this brilliant, canny short-story, he shows us again
Barb
Jan 21, 2012 Barb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone Loves a Good Story...

And you certainly won't be disappointed with this one. I found myself feeling like I was in ancient times reacting to the storyteller. There is something about Frank Delaney's writing that mesmerizes me at the get-go. I wanted to like the Druid as a wise and worldly, little man, but his means of getting Elaine were horribly dishonest. In the end he is caught in his own falsehoods. What one will do to "get the girl ." The question here is: Did he love the girl or did
Guy York
Dec 15, 2011 Guy York rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you think of druids as wise old men with sweeping cloaks singing in the moors and praising the moon around their standing stones, then think again. In Frank Delaney's first installment of his new Storyteller series, the druid is sneaky, mischievous, and sometimes downright unpleasant.

Mr. Delane's story, however, charms right from the start. I can imagine myself sitting around a fireside, listening to an old man with a pipe telling us a tale that keeps us all leaning in so closely we are nearl
A morsel of magic

Delaney's enchantment is the real deal. He is a storyteller of the finest order and this short but somehow complex little tale about a dishonest Druid opens a portal to a long ago time and shows us how little human nature has really changed.
David
Dec 15, 2011 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Master storyteller Frank Delaney brings us a brand new story in an ancient vein. If you read Ireland, a Novel, you'll recognize the style: a story that could have been told by your grandfather (if he was a natural orator), full of history and legend, malice and heart.

The Druid in this tale is a bit of a bastard, making his own way in a wild and fearful world where shadows lurk in every hollow tree. Like all of Delaney's characters, though, once you've met him you'll never forget him.

The Last Storyteller A Novel by Frank Delaney
Jessica
An enjoyable short story about the sneaky tactics a druid employs to marry a girl. I liked the way the story is told through the voice of a storyteller and especially loved the ending.
Cindy
Mar 19, 2012 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I wasn't sure about this story at first. But then I got interested and read it all in one reading! Different from my usual reads but I enjoyed it.
Ray
Aug 05, 2014 Ray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Quite enjoyable. Like I was sitting around a campfire listening to an very intriguing story.
Elaine Cristina Oliveira
This one would fit perfectly as a chapter of Ireland.

Loved it, of course.
Scott Whitney
An interesting book.
Melissa Banda
Melissa Banda marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Thomasin
Thomasin marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Cindy Litzinger
Cindy Litzinger marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Gayle Turner
Gayle Turner marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Lynn Meinders
Lynn Meinders marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Beth Allen
Beth Allen rated it did not like it
May 10, 2016
Kathy Parish
Kathy Parish rated it liked it
May 05, 2016
Joi
Joi marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Kat Hamm
Kat Hamm marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Woodenpoet
Woodenpoet marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Jeannette Clancy
Jeannette Clancy marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Lynn Worthington
Lynn Worthington rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2016
Barry Worth
Barry Worth rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
'The Most Eloquent Man in the World', says NPR, about the writer, broadcaster, BBC host and Booker Prize Judge, Frank Delaney. Over a career that has lasted more than three decades, Delaney, an international-best-selling author himself, has interviewed more than 3,500 of the world's most important writers.

Frank Delaney has earned top prizes and best-seller status in a wide variety of formats, from
More about Frank Delaney...

Frank Delaney Storytellers (4 books)
  • The Girl Who Lived on The Moon
  • Pigsong
  • The Sea-Folk (Frank Delaney Storytellers)