The Druid (Frank Delaney Storytellers)

The Druid (Frank Delaney Storytellers #1)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  12 reviews
ebook, Nook
Published December 15th 2011 by MEIER (first published December 13th 2011)

Viviane Crystal
Frank Delaney begins this story with a preface about the well-known Bards of Ireland, their various names, their powers, political connections, place in the community, and their wonderful story-telling abilities. Frank Delaney here continues the tradition in this series of short stories, the first being "The Druid"!

This is a truly magical story about a crazy Druid who also knew how to manipulate the people he served with his powers. It's such a short story and not to be ruined by telling too muc...more
Julie
This is part of a series of short stories the author has written and if you haven't experienced him yet, than this is a good place to start. This book was a wonderful little short story and reminded me of the mini stories within author's novel, Ireland. Tie in some mythology and magic, and you have a very good story.

I enjoyed the introduction, as the author explores the idea of storytellers, setting up the atmosphere of listening to the story teller personally telling the story the reader, focus...more
Cheri
Feb 26, 2012 Cheri rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Delaney Fans, Irish Folklore,
".... and an old man with a long parchment face comes in, shakes the weather from the shoulders of his long black coat, sits down, accepts a glass of whiskey, lights his pipe and begins...

Long long ago, when the pigs ate the apples off the trees and the birds flew upside down, there lived a crazy druid. Who wasn't crazy at all. He was a busy fellow, because the Irish people have always been interested in religion, and he made a good living by pretending sometimes to be crazy. Let's say that he w...more
Diane Meier
Masterful Blend of Dtory and Style

This review is from: The Druid (Frank Delaney Storytellers) (Kindle Edition)
Understanding the nature and the rules of the Oral Tradition of storytelling is something Frank so eloquently illustrated in his best-selling book, "Ireland"; bringing a traveling storyteller to our fireside and allowing us to be transfixed by a blend of story and style. It's a heady mixture, and one to which we willingly surrender.

In this brilliant, canny short-story, he shows us again...more
Barb
Everyone Loves a Good Story...

And you certainly won't be disappointed with this one. I found myself feeling like I was in ancient times reacting to the storyteller. There is something about Frank Delaney's writing that mesmerizes me at the get-go. I wanted to like the Druid as a wise and worldly, little man, but his means of getting Elaine were horribly dishonest. In the end he is caught in his own falsehoods. What one will do to "get the girl ." The question here is: Did he love the girl or did...more
Guy York
If you think of druids as wise old men with sweeping cloaks singing in the moors and praising the moon around their standing stones, then think again. In Frank Delaney's first installment of his new Storyteller series, the druid is sneaky, mischievous, and sometimes downright unpleasant.

Mr. Delane's story, however, charms right from the start. I can imagine myself sitting around a fireside, listening to an old man with a pipe telling us a tale that keeps us all leaning in so closely we are nearl...more
David
Master storyteller Frank Delaney brings us a brand new story in an ancient vein. If you read Ireland, a Novel, you'll recognize the style: a story that could have been told by your grandfather (if he was a natural orator), full of history and legend, malice and heart.

The Druid in this tale is a bit of a bastard, making his own way in a wild and fearful world where shadows lurk in every hollow tree. Like all of Delaney's characters, though, once you've met him you'll never forget him.

The Last Storyteller  A Novel
Jessica
An enjoyable short story about the sneaky tactics a druid employs to marry a girl. I liked the way the story is told through the voice of a storyteller and especially loved the ending.
Cindy
I wasn't sure about this story at first. But then I got interested and read it all in one reading! Different from my usual reads but I enjoyed it.
Ray
Quite enjoyable. Like I was sitting around a campfire listening to an very intriguing story.
Elaine Cristina
This one would fit perfectly as a chapter of Ireland.

Loved it, of course.
Sissi
Sissi marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Kim
Kim added it
Mar 09, 2014
Fenia
Fenia marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Ellie Red
Ellie Red marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Mica Dwyer
Mica Dwyer marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
Charlie
Charlie marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
Debra Evans
Debra Evans marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2013
Leighkaren
Leighkaren marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2013
Karen Thompson
Karen Thompson marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2013
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2013
Laura marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
'The Most Eloquent Man in the World', says NPR, about the writer, broadcaster, BBC host and Booker Prize Judge, Frank Delaney. Over a career that has lasted more than three decades, Delaney, an international-best-selling author himself, has interviewed more than 3,500 of the world's most important writers.

Frank Delaney has earned top prizes and best-seller status in a wide variety of formats, from...more
More about Frank Delaney...
Ireland Tipperary Shannon The Matchmaker of Kenmare: A Novel of Ireland The Last Storyteller: A Novel of Ireland