Start by marking “Posol” as Want to Read:
Posol

Posol

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  71,670 ratings  ·  8,237 reviews
Devätnásťročný Ed Kennedy – ako väčšina mladých ľudí na predmestí – sa živí ako taxikár, hoci vzhľadom na vek porušuje austrálske zákony. Voľný čas trávi popíjaním s priateľmi a nekonečným kartovaním. Miluje dievča, ktoré ho má príliš rado, aby mu lásku opätovalo, a psa, nadšeného kávičkára. Na rozdiel od súrodencov to Ed nikam nedotiahol, je na najlepšej ceste skončiť ako ...more
Published June 28th 2011 by Ikar (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Posol, please sign up.

Julia I liked it well enough...I absolutely loved the book so I expected an amazing ending, but *shrug* One thing I didn't like was that some of the…moreI liked it well enough...I absolutely loved the book so I expected an amazing ending, but *shrug* One thing I didn't like was that some of the problems were set up by that guy...I didn't like that some of the things were organized for him to fix instead of naturally occurring >.<(less)
Corbie Jamieson It's a very different style of book. I was also Book Theif crazy and this wasn't quite as exciting / moving as I hoped it would be.. Still a good…moreIt's a very different style of book. I was also Book Theif crazy and this wasn't quite as exciting / moving as I hoped it would be.. Still a good story, just a different direction with an odd ending.. Would still recommend, just don't over hype it!(less)

Kevin Fanning
OK: one of the best first chapters of any book, ever. Like, SO good. Perfectly executed.

The rest of the book: I liked it. Interesting premise, moved along at a decent pace. The "twist" at the ending was good.

There are a few iffy spots, where he describes a scene and it's not at all clear what exactly just happened, or he over describes and reminds the reader that what's happening at the moment is related to something that happens previously, and you're like "OK yeah, I know, I read that 20 page
Annalisa
Feb 10, 2014 Annalisa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: language, sexual content
Recommended to Annalisa by: amy m
I can't seem to get enough Zusak. Once again his language is magic. Instead of falling into the "he (or she) said" pitfall, the dialogue takes on the action of the predominant emotion. If he wants to reach for a friend, the words reach. And the way he breaks his sentences to evoke emotional pauses is poetic. Plus it makes his stories delectably quick to read. The perfect combination of length and pause. But his prose is not even the most powerful thing about his writing. Zusak pulls the words li ...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
My full name’s Ed Kennedy. I’m nineteen. I’m an underage cabdriver. I’m typical of many of the young men you see in this suburban outpost of the city – not a whole lot of prospects or possibility. That aside, I read more books than I should, and I’m decidedly crap at sex and doing my taxes. Nice to meet you.

After accidentally preventing a bank robber from escaping, Ed Kennedy receives his first playing card with three addresses written on it. He understands that he needs to deliver a message to
Basuhi
4.5 Stars.

Hello There.

Maybe you're here because you've read the book and you loved it. You loved it so much that any review about it is a beacon of irresistible curiosity for you.

So much that you want to hold this book close to you, day and night.

And just think about the intricate enormity of it all.

Then, you're just like me.

Or

Maybe you're here because you haven't read it and want to see if it's worth your time. In that case, let me be precise and say,
Go Read it.
Now.

Or

Maybe you don't like t
Dan 1.0
Apr 06, 2012 Dan 1.0 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dan by: The lovely and talented Emily Scherrer
Nineteen year old cab driver Ed Kennedy foils a bank robbery and soon finds himself receiving cryptic messages in the mail written on playing cards. Each card bears hints toward three people Ed must help in some way. Will Ed ever find out who is behind is mysterious messages?

Apart from books by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, this is my first foray into young adult literature and I enjoyed it immensely.

I think the first thing that pulled me in was that Ed is a lot like I was at nineteen. I like
Shelly
I downloaded this on itunes today because my job is super boring and I like to have stuff to listen to and/or watch online. Plus it's popular with some friends, and I'm a follower like that. Anyway, I had to force myself to turn it off today so that I would have something to look forward to tomorrow. I'm halfway through. The story and the reader's voice are mesmerizing! Don't want it to end.

Review starts here:

There's a series on PBS about these doctors--it may even be called "The Doctors," (can
Jackie "the Librarian"
I threw this book across the room, and then I picked it back up, held it at arms length, and shook my head at it. And then I thought about the way it held me in suspense, how it kept the kids in my teen book group reading and thinking, and I dusted it off and gave it a hug. Markus Zusak, you bastard!
What has me reacting like a schizophrenic? Why, I can't tell YOU. That would spoil the book for you, and you really should read it. The basic plot is, a guy stops a bank robbery, gets written up in t
Kim
Stamp it on my forehead, folks. I'm here, I'm a blubbering fool, get used to it.

I didn't have high expectations going into this novel, I'd heard it wasn't as good as 'The Book Thief'(pfft...whole box of kleenix on that one). But, I finished it in 7 hours and what can I say?

Um... I.AM.A.SAP

Okay, I can see the flaws, I mean..I'm not a stupid sap. I could see the formula... I knew what was coming. But, the writing makes up for it.

Plus, a 19-year-old-suffering-from-low-self-esteem-who-has-a-severe
Kassidy
Markus Zusak does not disappoint! I love the message in this book and it leaves such a powerful impact!
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
It's been months since I read this, so bear with me. But nonetheless, I still remember this book pretty clearly so hopefully it's not a problem.

Anyway, so basically ... THIS BOOK WAS SO GOOD IT MADE ME JIZZ IN MY PANTS.

Honestly, I put off reading this book for a long time. I love The Book Thief so much that I was a little afraid to read more of Zusak's work just because my standards for his writing were set so ridiculously high.

But, I shouldn't have worried, because I Am the Messenger is also s
Scarlet
4.5

Like anyone who has read The Book Thief would know (and if you haven’t read The Book Thief, what in the world are you waiting for??), Markus Zusak has that unusual ability to make you go from laughing to crying in a matter of minutes. So despite the general hilarity of the book, which had me in splits before the first chapter was even up, a small part of me was subconsciously waiting for the other shoe to drop – waiting for the tears and the heartbreak I was so sure would come.

And it never ca
Hillary
I wanted so badly to like this book because I liked the Book Thief so much, but I just couldn’t. I couldn’t get past the constant swearing, the sweaty smelly characters, and the story line kept shifting back and forth from horribly bad to decent and the decent didn’t compensate for the horrific. . In the Book Thief the charm of the characters seemed to make up for their lack of poise and class, this book couldn’t pull that off.
Chelsea
May 29, 2007 Chelsea rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: older teens
Shelves: ya, favorites
After reading The Book Thief, I went to great lengths to find another Markus Zusak book, and when I finally found this one, I couldn't have been happier. I think I read it in about two days. Markus Zusak's powerful prose is still at work, although Ed Kennedy is hardly an ideal subject for poetry. Zusak's protagonist is an underage cab driver with a coffee-addicted dog, a foul-mouthed mother, and an intense love for his best friend Audrey. Ed thinks he's destined to be another nothing of the city ...more
K
Maybe I'm allergic to Markus Zusak's writing? What he intends as quirky, inspiring, and heartwarming, my brain interprets as affected, cliche, and grossly manipulative. In this novel, an underachieving 19 year old begins receiving cards directing him to various troubled individuals around town. By stalking these people and interfering with their lives at the right moments, he becomes a hero/saint figure, and wins the heart of his beautiful best friend, a girl who'd previously been too afraid to ...more
Rachel
Aug 27, 2009 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tony, Nathan
Recommended to Rachel by: Annalisa,Cami
Shelves: favorites
In reading this book, there were times I teared up. Nothing sad, just the power of Zusak's words. There are beautiful books out there, ones that are lovely and I float away in, but Zusak's words make me feel like I'm really living them or writing them myself. That is how connected I feel. I feel like he's in my head or I'm in his and somehow we are laughing together over little things. He writes the exact way that I see things. Maybe it's the poet in me where inanimate objects come to life or th ...more
Jo
Initial Final Page Thoughts.
Say what?

High Points.
The beginning- what a hilarious opening. Hopefully I’ll never be caught in the middle of a bank heist, but I just know that if I ever were, that is exactly how I would act. Marv and Richie! The Doorman. Australia! Pa-pa-pa-poker faaaace. Mystery. Intrigue. Clues. (Most of) The messages were beautiful and made my little northern ice-heart melt.

Low Point.
I am still undecided about whether I liked Ed, I’ll discuss this more in the hero section. Even

I Am the Messenger has been sitting, lurking, waiting in my to-read piles for years. Years! By some reading miracle, it survived numerous “I’m never going to read that” cleaning binges. Now I know why.

”I love the laughter of this night.
Our footsteps run, and I don’t want them to end. I want to run and laugh and feel like this forever. I want to avoid any awkward moment when the realness of reality sticks its fork into our flesh, leaving us standing there, together. I want to stay here, in this m
Shirley Marr
Having read the rest of Markus Zusak's catalogue, I was excited about this - a tale about card-playing, taxi-driving, lovable-loser Ed who's ordinary lives is tipped sideways and weird sh!t goes down when he starts recieving cryptic playing-cards in his letterbox with instructions to carry out. Ed suddenly finds himself as The Messenger under the mercy of a mysterious stranger whose intentions he does not know.

I knew I would love it. I just never expected to be having a love-hate-relationship-Ba
Mike (the Paladin)
This book has "moments" of great writing. It "at times" touches on or "skitters past" some real insights. Possibly it brushes up against them and then glances away. The opening "sequence" chapters, or cards seemed to me to go on forever and I was more than ready to move on. It was a case of "okay I get it, your a ne'er-do-well, your mother disrespects you, your father's dead (and you miss him). It was tragic, he was a drunk, your mother was disillusioned and made him and now makes you miserable. ...more
Rose
“My full name’s Ed Kennedy. I’m nineteen. I’m an underage cab driver. I’m typical of many of the young men you see in this suburban outpost of the city -- not a whole lot of prospects or possibility. That aside, I read more books than I should, and I’m decidedly crap at sex and doing my taxes. Nice to meet you.”

I read Der Joker (most of you know it better as I Am the Messenger or The Messenger) for the first time when I was 12. But I never finished it. Back then I wasn't an avid reader like I'
Summer the bummer
Upon reading and completing The Book Thief, I somehow knew, without trace of uncertainty or doubt, that Markus Zusak is a literary genius.

Only he could have such unmistakable and beautiful prose.

Only he could create such perfectly written characters.

Only he knows how to captivate his audience and manipulate their feelings to this extent.

I bought this book almost compulsively, not knowing a thing about the story and going in completely blind. While not a tearjerker like The Book Thief, I Am th
Raeleen Lemay
MARKUS ZUSAK, WHY ARE YOU SUCH A GENIUS??? This book was just as amazing the second time around, FO SHO.
Liam
This book is well and truly beautiful!!

I must admit, I did have relatively high expectations going into this book because I loved the book thief so much and Zusak is just such a fantastic writer... And believe me, this book exceeded my expectations massively!!

The opening chapter to this book had me in love and I knew right there and then that I would enjoy this book! The characters felt so real. The writing was brilliant. I knew I would love it. And I DID!

I think my favourite thing about this bo
AriaTheBookNerd
“Maybe everyone can live beyond what they're capable of.”

Marcus Zusak. You are such an unbelievably talented writer. I'm sure you already know that. You write with so much passion. With so much thought in the words you use and how you use them. There was no crappy circumlocution (which I hate by the way), there was just simple words that conveys a deeper meaning. Zusak is indeed a magnificent storyteller.

"Sometimes people are beautiful.
Not in looks.
Not in what they say.
Just in what they a
Cait Grace
I read this because I loved The Book Thief and astronomical amount. Like REALLY loved it. Books don't make me cry, but The Book Thief did all sorts of unspeakable things to my emotions. I'm trying not to compare I Am The Messenger to it, buuuut it's hard. To be honest, the books are NOT on the same wave-length at all. They're just so different it's hard to mesh in my head it's the same author. (Although it does have Markus Zusak's style and wording, which I love.)

At the end of the day I didn't
Meaghan
Mar 07, 2009 Meaghan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Zusak fans and people who like funny books
This book was hilarious -- it had one of the funniest bank robberies in the history of literature and I was often literally falling out of my chair laughing. The suspense was also well-done -- I was dying to find out who The Messenger was. The only thing I didn't like about the story was the ending. It almost ruined the whole book for me, in fact. I won't give it away except to say this: it was a cop-out. Very clever, a wonderful little literary conceit, but still a cop-out. It pissed me off. If ...more
Jasprit
Reasons to read I am the Messenger

• An intricate thought evoking awesome plot
• A group of endearing characters that you never want to let go
• Writing which is simply out of this world
• A printz honor book
• Written by Zusak, do I need to say any more?

This has to be one of the hardest reviews I’ve ever had to write. I savoured this little gem of a book in a few days and my mind is still reeling after finishing it a few days ago. I apologise in advance if this review appears to be all ove
Mariel
Mar 23, 2011 Mariel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: George Costanza
Recommended to Mariel by: they shot the messenger
I read bunches of I Am the Messenger reviews on goodreads last night before going to bed. Maybe it was the Tylenol cold & flu, but I had dreams of this book and things in it I didn't even remember from my 2007 read. Mixed in with goodreads reviews. Like the head-hunter-honcho Blue Meanie in Yellow Submarine: everything's gone FLUEY! I liked it! Beats my old recurring dream of falling down the rabbit hole (whoops that was the Tim Burton film. Or a sex dream)...
I didn't remember that Markus Zu
Violante
Reading challenge 2015: 13# Libro ambientado en otro país.

"¿Cómo puede la gente vivir así?
¿Cómo consiguen sobrevivir?
Tal vez por eso estoy aquí.
Porque ya no pueden."

Ed Kennedy tiene una vida normal y bastante mediocre; taxista, dueño de un perro medio muerto, su único pasatiempo es jugar a las cartas con sus amigos. Hasta que un día su vida cambia inesperadamente. Y se encuentra en el medio de alguna extraña misión, salvando y salvándose, llenando la vida de otros de color.

Conmovedora, herm
Isamlq
The gushing starts here:

I first came across Zusak in The Book Thief. In that one, I knew I had come across another favorite~ book or author, take your pick. And while I am the Messenger is not the same genre as the former, it is just as good as (and at certain points better than) the former. Each word, each line in it carefully chosen to paint Ed Kennedy’s world as clearly as possible. And what a world it was: one peopled with ordinary, sometimes mediocre individuals, all hilarious and quirky
2015 Reading Chal...: I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak 10 33 Apr 19, 2015 04:35PM
I hated the ending at first, but have now digested it and think I like it. 7 80 Mar 21, 2015 02:25PM
Reading Warriors: realistic fiction 1 4 Mar 19, 2015 03:40PM
  • Heart to Heart: New Poems Inspired by Twentieth-Century American Art
  • Keesha's House
  • The White Darkness
  • Surrender
  • True Believer (Make Lemonade, #2)
  • John Lennon: All I Want is the Truth
  • The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks
  • The Cardturner: A Novel about a King, a Queen, and a Joker
  • The Dark Days of Hamburger Halpin
  • Postcards from No Man's Land
  • Repossessed
  • Friday Brown
Markus Zusak was born in 1975 and is the author of five books, including the international bestseller, The Book Thief , which is translated into more than forty languages. First released in 2005, The Book Thief has spent a total of 375 weeks on the New York Times bestseller list, and still remains there eight years after it first came out.

His first three books, The Underdog, Fighting Ruben Wol
More about Markus Zusak...
The Book Thief Getting the Girl (Wolfe Brothers, #3) Fighting Ruben Wolfe (Wolfe Brothers, #2) Underdog (Wolfe Brothers, #1) Underdogs (Wolfe Brothers, #1-3)

“Sometimes people are beautiful.
Not in looks.