Start by marking “Atlas” as Want to Read:

4.52 of 5 stars 4.52  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Inspector Victoria Rhodes works long hours as one of the last clean cops on San Francisco’s crumbling police force. When a double murder claims the life of a city prosecutor in the exclusive covenant community of Atlantis, Rhodes is assigned as liaison between the SFPD investigation and the investigation run by the private security force known as the ASM.

Public Prosecutor
Kindle Edition, 1, 378 pages
Published January 22nd 2012 by Benjamin Smith

To ask other readers questions about Atlas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Atlas

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëGone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Best Female Lead Characters
82nd out of 3,678 books — 4,641 voters
Diary of a Dieting Madhouse by Paige SingletonSo Say the Waiters book 1 by Justin SiroisAtlas by Benjamin R.  SmithFound Money by Peter Watson JenkinsEscape to Danger by Watson Jenkins
unknown books that could be great films
3rd out of 341 books — 522 voters

More lists with this book...

Paul Tonantius Ferreolus Gober
After I started reading Atlas, I was surprised that I had never heard of Benjamin Smith before, and I wondered why his work isn't on the best seller list somewhere. I find his writing style absolutely wonderful and bordering on the genius. Right off the back, I knew this was a gem of a read and I intentionally slowed just to soak in every word of the story. My eyes read off the glaring monitor while my medulla oblongata processed the book, and I visualized this futuristic stylized drama playing ...more
Jami Brumfield
I devoured this book and can’t wait for the next book from Benjamin Smith. The characters really grab your attention and keep you enthralled to the very end. I really like how the main characters have faced challenges in the past that really explains how they are now. In a way they were damaged brutally and in the end they survived, despite the terrible past they endured. Wrapped up in these intricate characters that really pull on your heartstrings is murder, suspense, politics, and danger.

Robert Arias
A great first novel by Mr. Smith. I found his vision of 2066 disturbing, of course, but it was entirely realistic considering current trends. The main characters are people you want to care about and to find out what happens to them.

I'm a big fan of speculative fiction and detective fiction and this book contributes to both genres. It compares quite favorably with J. D. Robb's "... in Death" series (with Philip and Victoria replacing Roark and Eve) as well as my own novel, "Crown of Creation."
Diane Major
Something different!
This is a well written first novel from Benjamin Smith. It is based around a murder mystery which takes place in the future. In that world there is an even greater divide between the rich and the poor as well as their neighbourhoods. Fascinating characters and interesting Androids reel you into the story. In the Epilogue, Perpetua leaves you wondering if there might be more to follow…
Christoph Fischer
"Atlas" by Benjamin Smith is a solid and well written thriller that takes place not too far into the future. Science has advanced and in the tradition of forensic and technologically enhanced crime investigation the book offers a lot of new gadgets and methods for Detective ehm Inspector Victoria Rhodes and her team.

Set in San Francisco and Northern California the story offers familiar places, some of them still as we know them, some modernised. For example there is a dome for the filthily rich
** I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review **

This is a fabulous story, it starts off a little sad...the main characters were basically cast off kids, who went through some very horrible things...especially Victoria...she didn't even know her age or name when she was basically rescued from a life of drugs and prostitution! The cop that saves her then adopts her and gives her a better life, lets her choose her own name...and she becomes a detective herself. She is cal
The future comes and it isn't pretty. Yet despite tech advances, good, solid police work is still what's needed to get the job done. With childhood histories reminiscent of Hitler Youth, the cop and the uber-rich suspect are the protagonists in this tale of grisly murder. The plot is involved and drags you in as it moves to conclusion. All of the characters are well drawn and believable.
Ms Lewis demonstrates her talents as an audio performer with skillful ease. Her voice is clear and pleasant wh
This was an OK story set in a dystopian near-future. I would give it 2.5 - 3 stars but dropped half a star because of the formatting and typos.

The author acknowledges Isaac Asmimov's influence and I was reminded a little bit of Asimov's books featuring Elijah Baley R. and Daneel Olivaw.

While the mystery was solved, I was left with many questions which hopefully will be addressed in the remaining two books in this trilogy.

However, there were too many times when I was taken out of the flow of the
S Daigle
S Daigle marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Dieter Muecke
Dieter Muecke marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Steven Lee
Steven Lee marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Joe marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
DaRawkus marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Charles Manchester
Charles Manchester marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Sheila marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Coolbeansanime marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Nick Sanford
Nick Sanford marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Jessica marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Kelly Fader
Kelly Fader marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Jim marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Jesse Foutch
Jesse Foutch marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Katie Homer
Katie Homer marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Maja -
Maja - marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Lauren marked it as to-read
Elizabeth Maday
Elizabeth Maday marked it as to-read
Becky LeSabre
Becky LeSabre marked it as to-read
Goodreads Authors...: ACX (Audiobooks) 4 19 May 19, 2014 04:29PM
Goodreads Authors...: How graphic is too graphic? Sex scenes in NON-EROTIC popular fiction 49 132 May 12, 2014 09:01AM
If you had power over all the wealth... 1 1 Apr 30, 2014 11:23AM
Dystopian Cop Thrillers 1 2 Apr 18, 2014 09:37AM
Goodreads Authors...: I need reviews and votes. How do I get them? 26 312 Jan 26, 2013 05:09PM
  • Cutting Right to the Chase Vol.2, (Chase Williams detective short stories 2)
  • Agency Rules - Never an Easy Day at the Office
  • Phantom Bigfoot Strikes Again (Phantom Bigfoot Series, #1)
  • The Reluctant Jesus
  • A Different Alchemy
  • Coyote in Provence (Coyote #2)
  • Catori's Worlds
  • The Last Boat
  • Tinted Lenses
  • The Saladin Strategy
  • Portals: Modern Magics, Book 2
  • Bentwhistle The Dragon in A Chilling Revelation (Book 2)
  • Arielle Immortal Quickening (Immortal Rapture, #4)
  • Mirror Deep
  • Orchid (Tales of the Black Sabbath, #1)
The first story I wrote, I plagiarized. I was eight years old and it was the first school assignment of the year after we'd spent the Summer, may parents and I, visiting my aunt in Boston. My aunt was attending MIT and applying for jobs with the CIA to help make spy-gadgets smaller. In short, she was a nerd, just like my dad, who spoke in a lot of acronyms.

The trip had been mainly walking and hist
More about Benjamin R. Smith...

“It isn’t easy when life tears away the one person in a million you thought you could always trust.” 26 likes
“She felt dirty, ugly and tired. She felt like a marshmallow heading into a house fire armed with chocolate and graham crackers.” 25 likes